Melbourne Football

Andrew Nabbout

Harrison

Wow didn't expect this, somehow doesn't strike me as a City player, but we'll see how it goes, best of luck to him. Does this mean anything with Jamie Maclaren currently on the squad? Could be an interesting duo up front if Jamie stays. If not this is a downgrade, but then again expect the league to take a step back with the reduced wages on offer.

the more and more i think about this signing, the more happy i am with it.

IMO there is no real downside here (unless of course he has been given a marquee deal - which i doubt from reading the press release).  We have a decent amount of depth if he is injured / unfit, yet he comes into a position vacated by Wales (and possibly Noone).

he scored 8 times this season just gone (as many as Diamanti, Hooper and Barbarouses), can play wide and centrally in the front third, has proven experience in the league.

plus, the fact he wants to join "an ambitious" club is just fucking gold.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He's at his peak in terms of age but clearly not form. Probably needs the right environment to get the best out of him and there's every reason to think that ours is the right environment given our facilities, staff and playing style. 

Victory were pretty terrible and once Kruse got injured there wasn't a lot for him to work with. I think he will be good, especially with other teams loosing a lot of players ATM.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm a bit concerned with the reports that we've signed him for $400,000 whilst everyone else is being asked to take a pay cut - not good for team cohesion. We need to have no special players.

The fact of the matter is, he still had to be signed for something... whether he is being overpaid or not is subjective (I don't watch many Victory games do I can't comment), however he may have been on 450k+ at Perth and therefore taken a notional pay cut to arrive at that 400k.

It might just be me, but it feels like there is repeated negative reporting of City and our payments to players, when it appears that we are one of the better clubs...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, malloy said:

The fact of the matter is, he still had to be signed for something... whether he is being overpaid or not is subjective (I don't watch many Victory games do I can't comment), however he may have been on 450k+ at Perth and therefore taken a notional pay cut to arrive at that 400k.

It might just be me, but it feels like there is repeated negative reporting of City and our payments to players, when it appears that we are one of the better clubs...

Its just the whole 'CFG are loaded look at them splashing the cash' whilst in every article. conveniently forgetting about the salary cap. Its pretty lazy, they have just taken the lines published about Man City and transferred them over.

• Like 1

Just now, malloy said:

Unfortunately, due to our owners "unimaginable wealth" (if I had a dollar for every time I read this line or similar in an article about us, even if it's irrelevant...) we will always be easy targets for click-bait artists who have no idea how the club is actually run and make no effort to find out.

The coverage from TWG on the CBA negotiations has been ridiculously one-sided, with constant mud-slinging at the clubs and FFA.

28 minutes ago, malloy said:

If he is signed for 400k than he is our marquee player.

Which sucks because I was hoping on improved marquee players with the ACL  in sight.

Edited by Mr MO

I don't resile from my view that this is a "journeyman" signing. I don't see him as a significant improvement on Colakovski or Abdulahi. 

Definitely the weakest of our announced signings/re-signings so far, and I'm pleased that it's only a one-year contract.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Its just the whole 'CFG are loaded look at them splashing the cash' whilst in every article. conveniently forgetting about the salary cap. Its pretty lazy, they have just taken the lines published about Man City and transferred them over.

Sure, he does have to be signed for something and we don't know what he was offered at Perth, or what he was paid at Victory, the issue has be managed carefully though as it's a potential for discord

16 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

Unfortunately, due to our owners "unimaginable wealth" (if I had a dollar for every time I read this line or similar in an article about us, even if it's irrelevant...) we will always be easy targets for click-bait artists who have no idea how the club is actually run and make no effort to find out.

The coverage from TWG on the CBA negotiations has been ridiculously one-sided, with constant mud-slinging at the clubs and FFA.

Yes, we're either attacked for spending too much money because of CFG's 'unimaginable wealth', or attacked for being stingy with money because of CFG's 'unimaginable wealth'.

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If he is signed for 400k than he is our marquee player.

Which sucks because I was hoping on improved marquee players with the ACL  in sight.

Hopefully, he isn't a marquee, that would be a very poor signing if he was, and where would that leave the rest of the list to fit into a new cap?

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't resile from my view that this is a "journeyman" signing. I don't see him as a significant improvement on Colakovski or Abdulahi. 

Definitely the weakest of our announced signings/re-signings so far, and I'm pleased that it's only a one-year contract.

But he is definitely the most expensive signing, won’t be surprised if he is marquee.

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Sure, he does have to be signed for something and we don't know what he was offered at Perth, or what he was paid at Victory, the issue has be managed carefully though as it's a potential for discord

Yes, we're either attacked for spending too much money because of CFG's 'unimaginable wealth', or attacked for being stingy with money because of CFG's 'unimaginable wealth'.

Hopefully, he isn't a marquee, that would be a very poor signing if he was, and where would that leave the rest of the list to fit into a new cap?

Well think about, $400k under the cap of only $2.1mil?

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Florin, Windy, Luna and JMac will take up a fair proportion of the rest

JMac is out of cap, now Atkinson too if they still counts now that he signed for Perth.

Brillante wages is pretty the same as the salary cap slash so we weren’t winning anything there.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sure, but I meant if the FFA want to be dickheads as he technically left the club.

@jw1739 I do believe more players will be release as with salary cap reduction we also go back to 20 odd players?

Nope as he never played a game for Perth . Currently we have 20 senior players signed on. Only out of contract is Delbridge  

I was thinking he was moving here for a bit of security, (city group etc.) and taking a pay cut. 250K-300K range.

For 400k he better be banging in 10 goals with 10 assists. 

2 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

if true 400k is a lot
anyway very happy with it, hopefully means noone is gone and we've taken the mongs 2nd best player, they gonna field an npl team this season?

They signed Kevin Mirallas. Huge signing imo. Will destroy the A-League.