Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Yeah,  that was good news.  Some decent players in that Perth side and we gave them a head start by not even playing a goalie.

BTW I presume Koren played as a false 9?  Line up makes no sense otherwise.

Looks like we are "as ready as we'll ever be" for the start of the season, (except for the little matter of one of the best strikers in the world arriving).  

First, the world was coming to an end because the team had never won a pre-season game against A-League opposition. Now, pre-season wins don't matter.  :droy:

Perth had several 1st team players: Garcia, Marinkovic, Risdon, Djulbic, Ferriera. And Harold will probably be a semi-regular starter, and same with Clisby. So it wasn't their 'B team', as over half of the team will probably start at the beginning of the season.

And Melbourne City had players that probably won't start regularly as well: Archibald, Ramsay and Murdocca. The team had no striker FFS.

So lighten up. We got a respectable win, the 1st against A-League opposition in pre-season. And things are pretty much tracking as they should for pre-season. Now we can put the pre-season behind us, and see how the team goes in the early part of the A-League season, playing games that actually count.

Relax mate. Remember you're on an Internet forum not on a Fox Sport discussion panel. Most of us were actually having a laugh.

Obviously none of us saw the game so nobody can really say how we played. It honestly didn't sound as though we played particularly well considering the gap in the squads on paper but hey. The season is about to start and we did finally get that preseason monkey off our back.

Looking forward to seeing how we play when points are up for grabs.

First, the world was coming to an end because the team had never won a pre-season game against A-League opposition. Now, pre-season wins don't matter.  :droy:

Perth had several 1st team players: Garcia, Marinkovic, Risdon, Djulbic, Ferriera. And Harold will probably be a semi-regular starter, and same with Clisby. So it wasn't their 'B team', as over half of the team will probably start at the beginning of the season.

And Melbourne City had players that probably won't start regularly as well: Archibald, Ramsay and Murdocca. The team had no striker FFS.

So lighten up. We got a respectable win, the 1st against A-League opposition in pre-season. And things are pretty much tracking as they should for pre-season. Now we can put the pre-season behind us, and see how the team goes in the early part of the A-League season, playing games that actually count.

Relax mate. Remember you're on an Internet forum not on a Fox Sport discussion panel. Most of us were actually having a laugh.

Obviously none of us saw the game so nobody can really say how we played. It honestly didn't sound as though we played particularly well considering the gap in the squads on paper but hey. The season is about to start and we did finally get that preseason monkey off our back.

I know. Just the tone on this forum, as well as some flip-flopping on stances to always maintain a 'glass have empty' perspective, is just sometimes really obnoxious.

And as I said above, I dispute that Perth played a 2nd string side. IMO it's unarguable, as at very least 5 players (Garcia, Marinkovic, Risdon, Djulbic, Ferriera) are certain starters for Perth. And Melbourne City played at least 3 players that won't be regular starters (Archibald, Ramsay, Murdocca), and the team even had no striker. So IMO both teams were close enough in terms of the numbers of likely regular starters and reserve players that they played.

I think it's just becoming a bit clear that Melbourne City's recruitment has actually been pretty strong this off-season. IMO we will clearly have a better squad than Perth, and some other A-League sides. And how strong our squad is after being bolstered with the likes of Koren, Duff, Paartalu and Mooy is just becoming apparent.

I agree no one can exactly be sure how the team performed, as no one saw the match and we're going off tweets. But going off the facts it sounds like the team played pretty well: lead from the 15' minute, lead by 2 goals from the 62' minute, and only conceded a consolation goal on the 88' minute.

And going off the tweets, it sounds like Melbourne City had at least several shots (and capitalised on 2 of them, of course), and Perth only seemingly had a few decent shots after the 80' minute before they scored 1 on the 88' minute. So all up it does sound like a pretty good performance, against a team of approximately the same number of 1st choice players, IMO. It all certainly sounds like a better situation leading into the season then 2 years ago, when under Aloisi just before the 2012-13 season kicked off, we lost 5-0 to Perth Glory in Melbourne in our final pre-season game before the season started.

So the team's had a pretty good pre-season, and the tiring excessive pessimism often on show on this forum isn't justified ATM.

And now let the real football matches begin.

• Like 2

So it was a respectable pre-season win. Teams next to never play their best XIs in pre-season. So if you want to see how Melbourne City go against other teams best XI, you'll just have to wait 2 weeks for the A-League season to start.

And it was a solid win. Melbourne City were leading from the 15' minute, and we went 2 goals up after the 62' minute, and held a 2 goal lead for 26 minutes until the 88' or 89' minute, where there was only a few minutes to go and Perth nabbed what was ultimately only a consolation goal. Of course it's preferable for a team to keep a clean sheet, but conceding 1 goal to have the game be 2-1 with 1 minute left of regular time is no big deal. It's a cross against the team's performance, but not a big cross. They lead for the vast majority of the game, and got the job done and got the win. 

Good news that a lot of our 1st choice players seemingly played 90 minutes, such as Duff, Koren, Mooy, Dugandzic, Kisnorbo, Wielaert and possibly even Paartalu.

Dugandzic got a goal. A good sign ahead of the season. If regular players like Dugandzic step up next season and consistently contribute with goals, assists and important plays, then the chances of Melbourne City doing well this season significantly go up.

Koren got his first goal, which can only be good for the confidence.

Mooy got an assist, and the midfield of Mooy, Koren, Paartalu sounds like it might well live up to the high expectations placed upon it.

And defensively we were good, only conceding with about a minute to go.

jesus-like in your ability to turn a handful of tweets into such a volume of analysis  :D

kennedyesque, perhaps

I see where you are coming from Murf but again I think we can agree to disagree here. I would say our off season has been (on the park) slightly above average. Certainly not anything like that 5-0 loss to Perth last year but nothing that has blown me away. Hearing the club refer to our first competitive match as a pre season hit out very much had an echo of old times too.

Recruiting has been exceptional of course, but I guess seeing a squad that on paper that should do well but doesn't year after year is just as tiring as the pessimism on here you talk of.

I am going into this season with cautious optimism this year which is far better than a sinking nervous feeling like last year. We should do very well providing a few liabilities step up and perform.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

I know. Just the tone on this forum, as well as some flip-flopping on stances to always maintain a 'glass have empty' perspective, is just sometimes really obnoxious.

And as I said above, I dispute that Perth played a 2nd string side. IMO it's unarguable, as at very least 5 players (Garcia, Marinkovic, Risdon, Djulbic, Ferriera) are certain starters for Perth. And Melbourne City played at least 3 players that won't be regular starters (Archibald, Ramsay, Murdocca), and the team even had no striker. So IMO both teams were close enough in terms of the numbers of likely regular starters and reserve players that they played.

I think it's just becoming a bit clear that Melbourne City's recruitment has actually been pretty strong this off-season. IMO we will clearly have a better squad than Perth, and some other A-League sides. And how strong our squad is after being bolstered with the likes of Koren, Duff, Paartalu and Mooy is just becoming apparent.

I agree no one can exactly be sure how the team performed, as no one saw the match and we're going off tweets. But going off the facts it sounds like the team played pretty well: lead from the 15' minute, lead by 2 goals from the 62' minute, and only conceded a consolation goal on the 88' minute.

And going off the tweets, it sounds like Melbourne City had at least several shots (and capitalised on 2 of them, of course), and Perth only seemingly had a few decent shots after the 80' minute before they scored 1 on the 88' minute. So all up it does sound like a pretty good performance, against a team of approximately the same number of 1st choice players, IMO. It all certainly sounds like a better situation leading into the season then 2 years ago, when under Aloisi just before the 2012-13 season kicked off, we lost 5-0 to Perth Glory in Melbourne in our final pre-season game before the season started.

So the team's had a pretty good pre-season, and the tiring excessive pessimism often on show on this forum isn't justified ATM.

And now let the real football matches begin.

Thankyou for being one of the few to agree with me and see some of the positives this preseason. Great posting.

Mooy, Koren, Duff Duff are gonna be rocks. The difference between mid table and really challenging higher up will be how some of our less consistent players turn into reliable performers week in week out. I'm looking at Duga, Willo, Ramsay, Redders, Tando, etc. If they raise their consistency playing along side Mooy, Koren and Duff then we can go places. But would love to have a striker/poacher to replace the gun they call Villa. Please CFG make it happen.

• Like 1

It all certainly sounds like a better situation leading into the season then 2 years ago, when under Aloisi just before the 2012-13 season kicked off, we lost 5-0 to Perth Glory in Melbourne in our final pre-season game before the season started.

I remember that game, I still have nightmares about it. It presaged what was to come.

Let's be honest here because the posts are there to prove it, the majority of people that posted after our preseason losses were negative to the point where the whole season was almost a write off. Our end of season predictions are proof of the negativity that has been going on. Murphy1 has every right to bring it up. Even now after a win there's still something wrong with the win, which is ok to point out, provided that the credit is given to the team for performing the job we were all asking for. Anyway that's my rant over. Onward and upward we've finally got the monkey off our back let's look forward to the season and see if we can give it a good shake.

• Like 2