Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

But', and he even surprisingly said 'Heart is actually a successful endeavor', pretty much because it's tough to create a new club.

I can say now that we will work very hard to play good football. Everything starts and finishes with that, and if we are able to play good football then we will win and attract fans and develop an identity.

In football, there's little space for marketing tricks - it's about playing good football [...]

I think MCFC recognise the difficulty that starting a second club in an environment where the first club had 5 years head start in a market dominated by a major football code AFL. They have recognised that HeartFC were essentially underfunded but has managed to keep its head above water and do some very good things in the community if not on the pitch.

As for marketing gimmicks, I'd say we have pretty much all said that the crowd will come if we start to get seriously competitive and show ambition to win silverware. Hopefully we now have a chance to do that. My feeling is that there is a buzz in the public about this deal and many are looking to see how it develops.

• Like 1

I think that CFG genuinely wants to do this the right way, and that´s why you´ll hear little from them until the season is finished.

Now it´s just the small matter of making sure that they get a clear indication of what the right way is, the different stakeholders in Heart (fans, sponsors, staff, local government, partners. the league itself etc) will all have a say so I hope the fangroups are on their toes ;)

Edited by M13

How did Georgios Samaras enjoy his time at City?

Pretty sure he's out of contract at seasons end and eligible to be Australian Marquee. If so should be number 1 target, before Jesus Kennedy!

As a Celtic supporter I can assure you that Kennedy would def score more goals than Samaras... but obv I would be happy with either player.

Edited by cadete

Pretty sure he's out of contract at seasons end and eligible to be Australian Marquee. If so should be number 1 target, before Jesus Kennedy!

As a Celtic supporter I can assure you that Kennedy would def score more goals than Samaras... but obv I would be happy with either player.

But Samaras can also play on the wing or behind the striker, no?

He can also play on the wing, but lets just say watching Samaras from afar and watching him play for your side are two very different things.

He can also play on the wing, but lets just say watching Samaras from afar and watching him play for your side are two very different things.

How so?

Personaly I would rather Kennedy

But Samaras can also play on the wing or behind the striker, no? He can also play on the wing, but lets just say watching Samaras from afar and watching him play for your side are two very different things.

How so?

He is the single most frustrating player I have ever seen in any sport. Shows incredible talent when he feels like it, which is about 30% of the time. . 

But Samaras can also play on the wing or behind the striker, no? He can also play on the wing, but lets just say watching Samaras from afar and watching him play for your side are two very different things.

How so?

He is the single most frustrating player I have ever seen in any sport. Shows incredible talent when he feels like it, which is about 30% of the time. . 

already have gol gol for that :P

• Like 1

How so?

This: Samaras is the World Game's version of those sterotypical inconsistent livewire fowards in AFL...

Richard Osborne, Clive Waterhouse, Ronnie Burns, etc.

As a Celtic supporter I can assure you that Kennedy would def score more goals than Samaras... but obv I would be happy with either player. But Samaras can also play on the wing or behind the striker, no?He can also play on the wing, but lets just say watching Samaras from afar and watching him play for your side are two very different things. How so?

Agree El Cunado, he is a bit too hot and cold for me and very rarely defends from the front.

How so?

This: Samaras is the World Game's version of those sterotypical inconsistent livewire fowards in AFL...

Richard Osborne, Clive Waterhouse, Ronnie Burns, etc.

The Slaughterhouse! 

Nigel Reo-Coker, srs.

Of a decent pedigree and a bit of a hard man, best of all he'd fit in to the salary cap. His current wage is $237k in the MLS

Still looking at the MLS plenty of decent players that are low earners;
Robert Earnshaw $155k,
Joel Lindpere $205k,
Frederic Piquionne $150k,
Mauro Rosales $225k,
Juninho $290k,
Victor Bernardez $100k,
Osvaldo Alonso $210k,
Diego Chara $243k

I wonder about Omar Abdulrahmen, City have scouted him and he might have come on trial for a bit.

But think there are work permit issues stopping a move to Europe.

Holy moly. We couldn't could we?

Isn't he the one who said that he wouldn't move for less money? Seems extremely unlikely we'd be able to get him. Unless City buy him and we get him on loan until he's played enough games to get an EU work permit.

Edited by Tommykins

I got asked what young Aussies could we could sign. Realiticly these are a few names.

Just to put some names out.

Richard Porter

Dylan McGowan

Bailey Wright

Travis Cooper - comes out of contract in about

4-5 months at VV Venlo

Tomislav Mrcela

Steven Ugarkovic

Jerry Karpeh

Opostolos Gianou

I like to think that for our three Marquee positions we can just buy the best available regardless of the cost now with our new found riches and all that. As far as I know these are outside of the salary cap.

Imagine who we could get as a Marquee on full top Euro wages, top Aussie marquee and top young Aussie marquee.

As it's not our money, who would you really want?

I like to think that for our three Marquee positions we can just buy the best available regardless of the cost now with our new found riches and all that. As far as I know these are outside of the salary cap.

Imagine who we could get as a Marquee on full top Euro wages, top Aussie marquee and top young Aussie marquee.

Actually now it is our money, well the franchise owners money. We need a decent GK, and as Australia is fortunate enough to produce lots of good keepers, this may be a Australian Marquee position. We need a creative midfield playmaker and a good striker.

• Like 1

Nigel Reo-Coker, srs.

Of a decent pedigree and a bit of a hard man, best of all he'd fit in to the salary cap. His current wage is $237k in the MLS

Robert Earnshaw $155k,

Joel Lindpere $205k,

Mauro Rosales $225k,

Juninho $290k,

Victor Bernardez $100k,

Osvaldo Alonso $210k,

Diego Chara $243k

Unfortunately we have a tax problem in this country, makes it tougher to get players for similar money especially within the salary cap. Outside of the cap of course it just means the owners need to stump up moarrrr cash.

I hear France are creating a tax issue over there as well, might be an area we can evenly compete with player wages at the right level

Nigel Reo-Coker, srs.

Robert Earnshaw $155k,

Joel Lindpere $205k,

Mauro Rosales $225k,

Juninho $290k,

Victor Bernardez $100k,

Osvaldo Alonso $210k,

Diego Chara $243k

Unfortunately we have a tax problem in this country, makes it tougher to get players for similar money especially within the salary cap. Outside of the cap of course it just means the owners need to stump up moarrrr cash.

I hear France are creating a tax issue over there as well, might be an area we can evenly compete with player wages at the right level

France should definitely be an option to look at. Technically very good players with in some cases not excessive wage demands or transfer fees.

France, Belgium, Serbia, Germany and Holland would be good European places.

Of course South America I think is where the main players will come from if I digest what Soriano is saying.

IMO, by far the best use of the Australian marquee spot and the International marquee spot is to sign 1 striker and 1 creative midfielder/playmaker.

So out of Australian marquees, I'd like us to sign either Josh Kennedy or Scott McDonald (who apparently is considering a move to China this Jan window, so we could maybe get him for next season) or Bresciano.

With regards to our international marquee, I'd be pretty pleased if we could sign 1 of the following (many of these names have already been mentioned in this thread):

- Frank Lampard

- Tomas Rosicky

- Miroslav Klose

- Didier Drogba

- Claudio Pizarro

- Berbatov (very unlikely now, of course)

Other possibilities: Esteban Cambiasso, Lucho Gonzalez, Simao or maybe a former Man City player like Craig Bellamy or Shaun Wright-Phillips. 

All the above international players have contracts that expire by the end of June this year, I'm pretty certain.

Regarding marquees for Heart, Man City officials have said:

Asked if the new owners intended to maximise the marquee concept, City academy head Brian Marwood said: "We've taken that on with the MLS [with New York City] where it's a similar model with the designated player. We've not been shy of bringing 'marquee' players into Manchester City either.

"But it has to be the right player - they have to care about and share the vision we're trying to create, and fit the pattern of the way we want the team to play. It's not just about plucking someone out of the EPL, or Serie A, or La Liga, and saying, play in Australia.

"We don't want it to be a final payday for a player. They've got to invest in it as much as we're investing in them. That's about developing the club, they have to play their part in that. If they don't it doesn't benefit anyone.

"If you talk about someone like Alessandro Del Piero, he's played at the top for a long time. You can only do that with the right kind of attributes, and he's shown he wants to put something into Australian football. That's the type of character you need."

and 

"The football decisions will be based on football criteria, not on any other commercial or marketing criteria,'' he said.

"The marquee player is a tool we have to bring a high quality player to Australia, we will use that. It's too early to say who. They're not marketing tricks, this is about playing good football."

"It's not about the names, it's about the player. We don't need a big name, we need a big player and a big player will develop into a big name,'' Begiristain told the <i>Herald Sun</i>. "He has to add something more than a name.

Commitment with the group and the football in Australia, experience to teach the players and help the coach."

"It's good that we've all worked in Europe for a long time and before we sign a player we'll meet - it won't be an agent selling a player, we are not sellers, we are part of the project and that's most important.

They sound like they know what they are doing, and I'm sure they'll get our marquee spots right.

Edited by Murfy1

I've got some possible good news...

According to Dave Davudovic the only players coming out of contract are:

Behich (loan), Engelaar, Gerhardt, Hoffman, Kewell, Kisnorbo, Maltese Messi, Mitchinson, Tando, Vranks, Walker and Willo.

Which would mean that all of the following have a contract for 2014/15 and beyond:

Redmayne, Wielaert, Ramsay, Murdocca, Germano, Garuccio, Mauk, Kalmar and Mate.

Particularly surprised by the highlighted, surely he's fucked up on Germano there, at least?

I've got some possible good news...

According to Dave Davudovic the only players coming out of contract are:

Behich (loan), Engelaar, Gerhardt, Hoffman, Kewell, Kisnorbo, Maltese Messi, Mitchinson, Tando, Vranks, Walker and Willo.

Which would mean that all of the following have a contract for 2014/15 and beyond:

Redmayne, Wielaert, Ramsay, Murdocca, Germano, Garuccio, Mauk, Kalmar and Mate.

Particularly surprised by the highlighted, surely he's fucked up on Germano there, at least?

Yeah, I'm really not sure what to make of it. Redmayne, Ramsay and Murdocca are contracted until June 2015 (I'm pretty certain). 

Wielaert's contract is definitely only for this season, with the official club statement saying we only signed him 'for the upcoming A-League season' (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/heart-sign-dutch-defender/68848).

The only info I know of about Mate, Germano and Kalmar is Melbourne Heart saying in pre-season 'Mate Dugandzic, Jonatan Germano, Nick Kalmar and Sam Mitchinson have all agreed to extend their time with the Heart' (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-confirms-resignings-and-departures/64804). I just assumed they all had their contracts extended for 1 year.

Also, I was pretty sure that Garuccio and Mauk were signed up only for the rest of this season, with the only media coverage about their signings stating 'Mauk, who turns 17 next week, will join Heart’s NYL team for the 2012/13 season under Joe Palatsides in his first year, before joining the senior team for the 2013/14 season', with Garuccio seemingly being on an identical contract deal (http://www.mfootball.com.au/ais-youngster-signs-with-heart/).

I don't like to conclude this, but my money's on Davutovic being wrong with most of those players. Although, given his good track record it wouldn't surprise me if he was largely or entirely right. 

Edited by Murfy1

Wielaert's contract is definitely only for this season, with the official club statement saying we only signed him 'for the upcoming A-League season' (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/heart-sign-dutch-defender/68848).

That's not explicit, it's just a general piece of writing to says he's signed on for this season. No time frame on length of stay, etc.

Anyway, just going by what I was saw and Davutovic is usually pretty spot on. He posted that only the following players were out of contract at seasons end.

Melbourne Heart (13)

Orlando Engelaar, Patrick Gerhardt, Jason Hoffman, Harry Kewell, Patrick Kisnorbo, Golgol Mebrahtu, Michael Mifsud, Dylan Macallister, Sam Mitchinson, Tando Velaphi, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker, David Williams.

(Fwiw, he was also spot on with Mooy back then, saying: "Started well but intriguing to see how many games the midfielder starts, but Melbourne Heart are among the clubs that would be interested.")

Is it usual in the A-League for teams to be staffed by players with such short-deals?

yeah, also a lot of squad changes at the end of each season. Just the nature of the league with any good young players going overseas or good senior players being poached by Asian teams. Add to that that some of the good Aussie players coming back are old. It's hard to build a team that will stay together for a while. This is where things might change for us. Better young internationals that will be at the club for a while, and young players that might stay on one or two years longer because they are getting better coaching and in their interests. Edited by thedukeofhearts