Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

At the RACV Royal Pines Resort in the Gold Coast for a work conference and l was told by reception that Manchester City stayed here while in the Gold Coast. He said that they set up there own massive tent (which is still here) and hired gym equipment in there despite the resort having their own gym. He mentioned the Melbourne City players were star struck and almost speechless when they saw Man City.

At the RACV Royal Pines Resort in the Gold Coast for a work conference and l was told by reception that Manchester City stayed here while in the Gold Coast. He said that they set up there own massive tent (which is still here) and hired gym equipment in there despite the resort having their own gym. He mentioned the Melbourne City players were star struck and almost speechless when they saw Man City.

can u hire me boss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find another spot to put this. The club has appointed two new roles, former Adelaide United CEO Micheal Petrillo will head Talent Management and Andrew McKenzie former physio of Tottenham and Western Bulldogs will be in charge of Human Performance. 

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-bolsters-football-department-with-appointment-of-new-heads-of-talent-management-and-human-performance/y7psyzvngh0w1k1mvm1u4xir0

Edited by n i k o

Couldn't find another spot to put this. The club has appointed two new roles, former Adelaide United CEO Micheal Petrillo will head Talent Management and Andrew McKenzie former physio of Tottenham and Western Bulldogs will be in charge of Human Performance. 

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-bolsters-football-department-with-appointment-of-new-heads-of-talent-management-and-human-performance/y7psyzvngh0w1k1mvm1u4xir0

"He then moved into the club’s football operations and then after a spell working with North Queensland Fury, he returned to Adelaide United where he remained until the end of September 2015. "

That's big news that they managed to get Michael Petrillo across.

As people have said, JVS really has zero excuses now. If he is unable to get both the desired style and results this year lets hope the club is ruthless and shows just how serious it is about this investment :)

btw, just noticed your response kinnibari. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hey does anyone know if there are any restrictions to watching training sessions and/or if there are open and closed sessions throughout the week?

I'd love to checkout the facilities and watch the team them train but I don't want to make the drive and then be denied access!!

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, n i k o said:

The club had its first open day to view the facilities. I'll put in point form some interesting things I found out about the facilities:

-before they built the facilities in Manchester they wanted to find out what exactly makes world class facilities. They spent up to 18 months going around to clubs from all different sports to see how they could create the ideal training environment. 

-the entrance to the club is on a smaller scale but exactly the same as what you would find at Manchester. They wanted people to know that when they step inside they are in a City football club. 

-the club has over 50 working staff including coaches. The admin section is quite large. 

-there are no set car parks for the players or the staff. 

-they didn't want any hierarchy within the team or the club. The message they send is the admin workers are equal to the players. They're all their to do a job.

-within the admin section they have different meeting/media rooms, and each room has a unique name based on the clubs in Manchester and New York. For example one room is called the Broadway room and another is the Turing room. The same is found in Manchester where they have rooms named after the other clubs under CFG. For example there is a 'Yarra' room in Manchester. 

-the player facilities are fantastic. When you enter the doors to the players section, there's a long hallway. At the end is a door with windows. When the players enter the hall they wanted the pitch to be the first thing they see. As you enter on your left are two change rooms. The first is a players change room which is for fringe players that may be close to getting into the first team. The second is the coaches change rooms. With the fringe players change room there really isn't much to it. Its quite small, has some coat hanger hooks, a bench to sit on and that's about it. They purposefully have done this so that these players (eg. Matt Miller) are pushed have the desire to become a first team player and get a locker in the first team change rooms. It's basically a case of "if you want to get out of this small change room and into that one show that you deserve it..." 

- the next room is the medical room. It's quite awesome the attention to detail gone into this and for this reason no one was allowed to take any photos while in there. The players come in here before training to get taping done, injury recovery etc. There are also two recovery pools within this room, one set at 10 degrees the other at 38 degrees. The studies done from Manchester indicate these are the perfect temperatures for recovery. They have also positioned the medical rooms without any views to the pitch. This is to allow players to focus on their recovery and to remove any anxiety from players not being able to train with the team.  

-moving out of this room and across the hall is the laundry. They have someone working full time preparing all the players clothing, from kits to jocks. The players clothes are put in their locker before every training session. 

-down the hall to the right is the gym. Again the attention to detail is fantastic. The pitch is visible from the gym. They have put glass windows on the inner walls as well so that if you walk down the hall you can see inside the gym. They have done this  so that everyone can see who is training or doing extra work. For example if Garruccio and Clisby are fighting for the left back position and Garruccio is in the gym doing extra work Clisby will now see him doing this which creates an environment where they push each other to train and commit to do more. Also the coaching staff has full visibility when they walk by who is putting in more time and effort. 

-moving out from the gym and into the hall they have a section across the hallway wall with tiny pigeon holes for each player. Inside them are the players nutritional supplements they need to take on a day to day basis. Most had fish oil, some had protein shakes and other had a mix of other things. 

-the next room was the first team change rooms. Pretty sure there's been pictures posted on here of the, but the room is round. They've done this so all the players are equal, there's no hierarchy. What they have done is put players lockers together according to their position they play. So most of the defensive unit is together, attacking together etc. 

-there's a punishment system that the players have put together. What it is is if any player breaks the rules they've put together they get a fine. For example being late to a home game is a $300 dollar fine, mobile phone usage in the massage room is $20, late to a team walk at an away game is $100. Paddy K and Franjic look after this and any monies collected. Good to see the players have created this for themselves and set the standards they feel they should adhere to. 

-the last room before heading out the doors to the pitch is the boot room. Again there's been pictures of this posted on here. All their boots are cleaned and hung up on the wall ready for them to use.

- overall the message is the players is they only have one job, to train as professionals. Everything is done for them, they need to turn up to work each day and do their job. This was one of the key messages that the club wanted to send. Everything is done for the players so that they only have their job to focus on and that is to train to the extremely high standard City Football Group expect. 

- I found out the pitch is set up to the standards of every CFG football pitch around the world. The pitch is cut at a length of 25mm and before training they water the grass. They have found this combination is the perfect playing surface. It makes for technically excellent players because when the ball comes off the surface it moves at a very quick pace which means the technical ability needs to be of a high level to control it. 

-the club work closely with AAMI park who now cut the grass at 25mm also due to ongoing communications with the club about the best playing surface. Apparently AAMI used to cut the grass at 28mm which would make the ball move at a much slower pace. It makes sense why we have had such success at home, because the club has tried to replicate the surface at AAMI to the training surface. 

Overall, as expected, I was very impressed with the facilities. In particular I liked the level of thought that went into how each room setup will affect the mindset of not only the players but the whole organisation. I did have a heap of photos to post up but my my upload limit doesn't allow me. If there's anything else I can think of that I may have left out I'll add to this. 

Nice summary.. would love to see it for myself one day.. can we do a tour of this at some stage? Happy to pay to be guided around the facilities.. hopefully by then we have something to show in our trophy cabinet.. lol

Edited by raw10

Great summary.

Any word on the expansion planned for the W-League and the planned academy?

Does anyone know if we have control of the Latrobe Hall building on the site? That is the building between the admin area and the community pitches. 

Will be interesting to see what is planned next for the site.

53 minutes ago, Heart_fan said:

Great summary.

Any word on the expansion planned for the W-League and the planned academy?

Does anyone know if we have control of the Latrobe Hall building on the site? That is the building between the admin area and the community pitches. 

Will be interesting to see what is planned next for the site.

Yeah I did ask about the women's facilities. They'll  be built during the preseason and will be ready for the start of the 2016/2017 season in October this year. 

Something that I didn't add was they made it clear that the club is not loaded with money. Like a business they are given budgets to work with. When they need money for something they put it forward to the CFG to get funding. Sometimes they get it other times they don't. If they get funding for something and need more a lot of times CFG will deny them this and basically tell them to make it work with what they've got. It was something we already assumed (unlike the rest of the league and media outlets) that the club doesn't simply have a river of gold it can access at anytime. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Heart_fan said:

^^ Thanks for the update.

Are the women's facility upgrades at the lower playing fields (Former Heart/City first team fields)?

It certainly makes sense that they don't have a blank cheque that can constantly been thrown at us.

I didn't ask. I have always been under the assumption that they will be built where the current rooms are just above the men's facilities. 

Behind winning the league one of the dreams for this club I'd like to see is for us to have our own purpose built stadium. I asked the club about whether they would ever consider building our own stadium to which they replied that it all comes down to numbers. If we're selling out AAMI park week by week and all the numbers stack up then management could ask whether CFG would consider it. 

Edited by n i k o

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Behind winning the league one of the dreams for this club I'd like to see is for us to have our own purpose built stadium. I asked the club about whether they would ever consider building our own stadium to which they replied that it all comes down to numbers. If we're selling out AAMI park week by week and all the numbers stack up then management could ask whether CFG would consider it. 

Where would you build it would be the only thing? Not a lot of room where we are atm.

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Where would you build it would be the only thing? Not a lot of room where we are atm.

"COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire says his proposal for a new $1 billion stadium to be built close to the MCG could eliminate all club debt and "bulletproof" football. "

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-09/eddie-mcguire-leading-push-for-new-1-billion-football-stadium-near-mcg

Not entirely sure where Eddie was planning on building this exactly, but I would love for us to buy the land, build a rectangular stadium and crush his dreams. Give him an idea of just how insignificant his sport really is

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

"COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire says his proposal for a new $1 billion stadium to be built close to the MCG could eliminate all club debt and "bulletproof" football. "

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-09/eddie-mcguire-leading-push-for-new-1-billion-football-stadium-near-mcg

Not entirely sure where Eddie was planning on building this exactly, but I would love for us to buy the land, build a rectangular stadium and crush his dreams. Give him an idea of just how insignificant his sport really is

He was panning on building it across the road, which would mean hisense arena would need to be destroyed. Good luck with that. 

9 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Only in the most impractical and expensive place he could find that is conveniently a couple of hundred metres from Collingwoods training base and at the expense of other sports.

• Like 1

Actually would make sense to build a 60k stadium. Only probable location ontop of the rail lines at the end of federation square. 

Can be done but would take alot of manouvering and a shit load of cash.

Edited by Jovan

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually would make sense to build a 60k stadium. Only probable location ontop of the rail lines at the end of federation square. 

Can be done but would take alot of manouvering and a shit load of cash.

Considering we have just been given a large loan to make up for our financial short comings i cant see that happening any time soon