Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

Oh good, these old and tired arguments again.

As much as some like to pretend that real life is like Football Manager or something, the simple fact is that in the A-League, and with our team, there was zero possibility of a complete rebuild between last season and this season.

- Andrew Redmayne had his contract extended by Aloisi in 2013 until the middle of 2016

- Rob Wielaert was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Iain Ramsay was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Massimo Murdocca was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Jonatan Germano was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

- Nick Kalmar was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

And Dugandzic, Garuccio and Mauk were also signed up by Aloisi for this season, which were Aloisi's only signings that aren't deadweight, and with only one of those players (Dugandzic) being a senior player it is a very poor recruitment record.

So almost half of the team, 9 players, for this season were signed up by Aloisi. And only 1 of those players would reliably make a positive impact in the senior team, Mate Dugandzic.

And Then there were a few re-signings by JVS:

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- David Williams (was the Aust. Marquee, but was re-signed inside the cap)

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

- And Paulo Retre from the NYL team

No one disputes that Kisnorbo was a worthwhile re-signing. Re-signing Williams inside the cap was worthwhile, especially if the club brought in another good striker like Kennedy. I was disappointed with the re-signing of Hoffman, but he could very well be a low-wages signing. Ditto Velaphi was probably a low wage signing, and I can't think of too many other Australian keepers that are obviously better than Velaphi and would be prepared to accept low wages. And further if Hoffman and Velaphi were signed on low wages, as is very likely, then that would have enabled the club to bring in Aaron Mooy, Erik Paartalu and Damien Duff inside the salary cap, which is very hard to argue against.

So all up, Aloisi ensured that a whole 9 players would comprise this season's squad, with the majority of them not being good enough to grace a top team, and JVS and the other football staff had effectively nothing they could do about that. It is a myth that contracts can be torn up just because a club might change its mind about players. Therefore, only by next season is it possible to effectively get rid of all the poor squad building that Aloisi did with Melbourne City's squad, as only by then can the players Aloisi signed, in particular the first 6, be removed from the squad. And with next season's recruitment likely to follow the standard set by this season's recruitment--Mooy, Duff, Paartalu, Koren, etc.--expect next season's squad to be light years ahead of this one.

Oh good these tired arguments again. If JVS had a squad a superstars he could actually win something blah blah blah

Insert lengthy post about why all statistical evidence to suggest JVS is not a good manager should be ignored and none of his track record is his fault.

Introduction: Your all irrational for thinking JVS is a bad coach with his 30% win rate in two half seasons.

Paragraph Two: Facts that don't support my argument but are Facts all the same.

Paragraph Three: I am so very rational

Paragraph Three: In fact I am the only rational person here.

Paragraph Five: Stats, Facts and more fucken irrelevant Stats.

Conclusion: Like my Post because it's way too bloody long for anyone to read... and liking it will make it look like you read it and are therefore smart.

You either a.) work for the liberal party on campaigns or b.) are Simon Colosimo.

Or c.) are both

Murf puts time effort and consideration into posts and a reply like this isn't really warranted feel free to write a clear and articulate piece in response instead of this garbage.

• Like 3

As much as some like to pretend that real life is like Football Manager or something, the simple fact is that in the A-League, and with our team, there was zero possibility of a complete rebuild between last season and this season.

- Andrew Redmayne had his contract extended by Aloisi in 2013 until the middle of 2016

- Jonatan Germano was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

And Dugandzic, Garuccio and Mauk were also signed up by Aloisi for this season, which were Aloisi's only signings that aren't deadweight, and with only one of those players (Dugandzic) being a senior player it is a very poor recruitment record.

So almost half of the team, 9 players, for this season were signed up by Aloisi. And only 1 of those players would reliably make a positive impact in the senior team, Mate Dugandzic.

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

No one disputes that Kisnorbo was a worthwhile re-signing. Re-signing Williams inside the cap was worthwhile, especially if the club brought in another good striker like Kennedy. I was disappointed with the re-signing of Hoffman, but he could very well be a low-wages signing. Ditto Velaphi was probably a low wage signing, and I can't think of too many other Australian keepers that are obviously better than Velaphi and would be prepared to accept low wages. And further if Hoffman and Velaphi were signed on low wages, as is very likely, then that would have enabled the club to bring in Aaron Mooy, Erik Paartalu and Damien Duff inside the salary cap, which is very hard to argue against.

So all up, Aloisi ensured that a whole 9 players would comprise this season's squad, with the majority of them not being good enough to grace a top team, and JVS and the other football staff had effectively nothing they could do about that. It is a myth that contracts can be torn up just because a club might change its mind about players. Therefore, only by next season is it possible to effectively get rid of all the poor squad building that Aloisi did with Melbourne City's squad, as only by then can the players Aloisi signed, in particular the first 6, be removed from the squad. And with next season's recruitment likely to follow the standard set by this season's recruitment--Mooy, Duff, Paartalu, Koren, etc.--expect next season's squad to be light years ahead of this one.

Oh good these tired arguments again. If JVS had a squad a superstars he could actually win something blah blah blah

Insert lengthy post about why all statistical evidence to suggest JVS is not a good manager should be ignored and none of his track record is his fault.

Introduction: Your all irrational for thinking JVS is a bad coach with his 30% win rate in two half seasons.

Conclusion: Like my Post because it's way too bloody long for anyone to read... and liking it will make it look like you read it and are therefore smart.

You either a.) work for the liberal party on campaigns or b.) are Simon Colosimo.

Or c.) are both

Murf puts time effort and consideration into posts and a reply like this isn't really warranted feel free to write a clear and articulate piece in response instead of this garbage.

I bet when you wrote that you thought in your head that you were being as funny and witty as your heroes: Tony Jones, Michael Leunig and The Chaser Team. :droy:

The thing is the answer is actually "A" as I was once employed by the Liberal Party and I have even worked on some of their campaigns... :hmm:

So I therefore unfortunately will not be able to post a "Clear and Articulate Piece" that would meet the high standards that PPL such as yourself set when you make your comments under Crikey articles about how Hitler was an Amatuer Facist when compared to the greater evil of Mr Abbott and his rampant Roman Catholicism. :droy:

Edited by cadete

So quality of posts is directly proportionate to how much time it takes to write it and how long it is?

Interesting.

And of course clearly also to do with who vote for as well, at least according to the intellectual heavyweights around here like wombegongal...

Edited by cadete

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

Conclusion: Like my Post because it's way too bloody long for anyone to read... and liking it will make it look like you read it and are therefore look smart.

Such well constructed quality post, I'm sure MENSA will be knocking on your door real soon...

• Like 1

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

Conclusion: Like my Post because it's way too bloody long for anyone to read... and liking it will make it look like you read it and are therefore look smart.

Such well constructed quality post, I'm sure MENSA will be knocking on your door real soon...

Yes - Because all these years that I have been posting on a Internet Forum for a scarcely popular soccer team has not been about wasting time at work, discussing ratshit soccer or even conversing with my mates but really one man's neverending pursuit for Intellectual Excellence. :droy:

Edited by cadete

TA is right - once (or should that be if?) we start winning the whole tone of the forum will change.

But for the time being, back on topic please everyone. If there isn't an already a thread for an individual player whom you want to discuss, it's easy enough to start one. And there's already the obligatory "Sack JvS Edition..." thread for that particular discussion.

• Like 1

Anyone know if he is getting game time in the j-league.

His clubs website is pathetic!

The league website is worst.

How many games has he played, goals this season etc??????

This season all up Kennedy has played 11 matches, for 952 minutes, and has scored 5 goals. 

Kennedy played 3 matches in mid- to late-August, on the 9th of August, the 16th of August and the 23rd of August. He also was on the bench in September.

However around August, Nagoya Grampus signed Japanese striker Kengo Kawamata, and have pretty much been playing him ever since. We know that Melbourne City have been negotiating to bring Kennedy to the club from around that time, so putting 1 and 1 together it looks like Nagoya Grampus are preparing for the future without Kennedy, so Kawamata is getting all the game time and Kennedy isn't getting any anymore.

Can't they just release him so we can have him earlier?

I don't think there's really any incentive for Nagoya Grampus to release him early. It's the pointy end of the season in Japan, with the final few rounds over the next few weeks, and it's probably a good thing for Nagoya Grampus to have Kennedy in reserve, in case their new striker Kawamata becomes injured or something.

Nagoya Grampus might finish playing their football soon, with their final league match being 2 weeks from today, and them just being knocked out in the last round of Japan's cup tournament, the Emperor's Cup. So hopefully Kennedy can quickly join Melbourne City around December 6, when as far as I know Nagoya Grampus' season comes to a close.  

• 3 weeks later...

Melbourne City play waiting game with Josh Kennedy after Socceroos come calling

Matt Windley

December 08, 2014

MELBOURNE City will have to wait for Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou’s next move before finding out whether it will have access to their prized Australian marquee player throughout January’s A-League break.

Despite City coach John van’t Schip saying he didn’t expect Kennedy to feature in the Asian Cup, the striker was among 46 named in Monday’s preliminary squad.

Kennedy hasn’t played for Japanese side Nagoya Grampus since August 23 due to a back injury.

The 32-year-old will link with Melbourne City for the first time in the coming weeks, but won’t be available to play until the February 1 clash with Western Sydney, making the January training block extra important so as to build an understanding with his new teammates.

Van’t Schip said Kennedy is “not fit at the moment” considering his lack of game time.

“I don’t think that Ange is going to consider him,” van’t Schip said.

“If he does he has a reason and then we’ll be happy for Josh. But as we look at it at this moment I think he will be with us and be preparing himself for the second part of the season.”

But Postecoglou said Kennedy remained in the running to feature in the final squad.

“Our medicos are in touch with him. He’ll obviously be under the care of Melbourne City and we’ll monitor him from there,” Postecoglou said.

“We’re certainly not putting any pressure on him to get right, it’s just a matter of him being on the radar as part of this extended squad.

“He’s an experienced enough bloke to know his body and we’ll get a good indication of where he’s at in the next couple of weeks.”

Fellow City midfielder Aaron Mooy made the extended squad.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-play-waiting-game-with-josh-kennedy-after-socceroos-come-calling/story-e6frf4gl-1227148985081?from=public_rss&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Edited by Murfy1

This guy plus a healthy Koren makes us a better team then Wellington IMO.

Just need to sort out our goalkeeper and LB spot now.

Sort out....???? We have Tando, what's there to sort :droy:

I always knew he had it in him, but I'm incredibly satisfied with Tando finally fulfilling his cult hero potential

Lol the guy has one decent game and now we're all having a circle jerk over him?

If he can replicate what he showed against Brisbane for the rest of the season then obviously we don't need another keeper but at this point in time i'd still be looking for another keeper

• Like 1

Lol the guy has one decent game and now we're all having a circle jerk over him?

If he can replicate what he showed against Brisbane for the rest of the season then obviously we don't need another keeper but at this point in time i'd still be looking for another keeper

IMO we need a no. 1 goalkeeper regardless. Tando might establish himself over Redmayne, but his past performances suggest that he has howlers on a regular basis.

It's time we raised the bar. Our aim should be to be the best, not accepting of the average.

Haha calm down it's all in jest. Agree we need a number one keeper, while still creating the cult status of Tando :up:

Sort out....???? We have Tando, what's there to sort :droy: Lol the guy has one decent game and now we're all having a circle jerk over him?

Haha calm down it's all in jest. Agree we need a number one keeper, while still creating the cult status of Tando :up:

Haha no stress mate! I missed the brisbane game so i wasn't around unfortunately to hear the great tando chant!

Sort out....???? We have Tando, what's there to sort :droy: Lol the guy has one decent game and now we're all having a circle jerk over him?

Haha no stress mate! I missed the brisbane game so i wasn't around unfortunately to hear the great tando chants!

Had to edit your post, the whole game consisted of chants about Tando

• Like 1