Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

What we want to avoid is a La Liga situation where the Qatari owner of Malaga quite rightly complains that the big 2 clubs get a greater percentage of the league income than the rest of the league combined resulting in obvious inequalities. The administration of the competition will always be skewed in favour of the administrators, if ownership is limited to the existing teams then self-interest tends to dominate over the big picture. Of course there's always an upside too, the quality of the very top teams will improve

What we want to avoid is a La Liga situation where the Qatari owner of Malaga quite rightly complains that the big 2 clubs get a greater percentage of the league income than the rest of the league combined resulting in obvious inequalities. The administration of the competition will always be skewed in favour of the administrators, if ownership is limited to the existing teams then self-interest tends to dominate over the big picture. Of course there's always an upside too, the quality of the very top teams will improve

This is not unique to La Liga. It applies in the Bundesliga as well, and in some respects there is a reason for it, because it keeps teams striving right to the end of the season. A team might be clear of the relegation zone, but the further up the table they finish will determine how much money they receive the following season from TV rights etc. I'm told that in Bundesliga 2 each place on the table is worth 100,000 Euro for the following season. For a club such as, for example, Energie Cottbus, that's very significant.

It's always going to be a delicate balance between a free market that allows clubs to become wealthy and successful and various controls that mean that the success of those clubs doesn't mean that the others are just there to make up the numbers.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

You really have 2 competitions in the European leagues, one for the UCL and other continental competitions, one to avoid relegation. Clubs in the mid table tend to become seeing clubs that aim to stay mid table and sell on their young talent. Without promotion/relegation here we will just end up with a predictable league with the same teams in the top 6 most seasons. Top well funded teams (like us) will be able to afford an expanded salary cap, teams like Jets or CCM will suffer financially or on the pitch if they don't have the money. One of the strengths of our competition is the relative even nature of the competition, we'd have to be very careful to find a way to retain that.

• Like 1

You really have 2 competitions in the European leagues, one for the UCL and other continental competitions, one to avoid relegation. Clubs in the mid table tend to become seeing clubs that aim to stay mid table and sell on their young talent. Without promotion/relegation here we will just end up with a predictable league with the same teams in the top 6 most seasons. Top well funded teams (like us) will be able to afford an expanded salary cap, teams like Jets or CCM will suffer financially or on the pitch if they don't have the money. One of the strengths of our competition is the relative even nature of the competition, we'd have to be very careful to find a way to retain that.

Bela, it's a lot more than the salary cap. We have lop-sided stadium deals, and of course none of our clubs own their own stadium or even have their "own" on a long-term lease arrangement.

It seems this is a bit like the issue the Feds have with the redistribution of the GST - it isn't done on a strictly proportionate basis - it's done in a way such that the more prosperous States do not just get stronger while the others get weaker.

IMO if you set up a flexible distribution system of, say TV income, you could manage it to meet our specific requirements. If, say, one club starts to become too successful, then its share of TV income would get reduced according to a formula, to even up the competition again.

Set against that you don't want to have a system that means that clubs can bumble along without contributing very much yet still get an equal slice of the cake. That's ultra-egalitarian, and leads to laziness and mediocrity.

I wonder if the FFA would consider building a stadium in say Perth to get better deal for the club. Of course it would not be 100% owned by the FFA but the gist would be that eventually the WA Football league and PG would own it and run it. Similarly to Etihad. This will also enable the Socceroos and other international matches to proceed in a quality stadium. but back on topic, right now the I like the evenness of the competition.

Bela, it's a lot more than the salary cap. We have lop-sided stadium deals, and of course none of our clubs own their own stadium or even have their "own" on a long-term lease arrangement.

It seems this is a bit like the issue the Feds have with the redistribution of the GST - it isn't done on a strictly proportionate basis - it's done in a way such that the more prosperous States do not just get stronger while the others get weaker.

IMO if you set up a flexible distribution system of, say TV income, you could manage it to meet our specific requirements. If, say, one club starts to become too successful, then its share of TV income would get reduced according to a formula, to even up the competition again.

Set against that you don't want to have a system that means that clubs can bumble along without contributing very much yet still get an equal slice of the cake. That's ultra-egalitarian, and leads to laziness and mediocrity.

No, I'm not saying that I don't want it or even that we shouldn't have it, only that we need to be careful not to lose the competitive nature of the competition

What would a stadium cost to build? Just out of interest. I'm sure the sheik could afford to plonk one down in northcote. Or just buy visy park

Stadiums over here cost somewhere in the region of £2-500 million, depending on where you build it. Wembley cost £800m, but that was a 90,000 seater in the heart of London.

CFG would better spend their time getting their crap Melbourne team playing competitive football

If you're going to draw a line in the sand, Abu Dhabi is a pretty good place to do it.

The A-League owners, some more disgruntled than others, gathered on the weekend in the capital of the UAE to talk about the future of their investments. Oh, and watch the F1. An offer even Nathan Tinkler, it seems, couldn't refuse.

Mutiny? Revolt? Not yet. But it's fair to say at Whitlam Square they'll be wriggling in their seats as they await the outcome. As always, it's about power, and money, which is why the FFA wasn't invited.

Truth is, the FFA was never going to be invited. Ahead of the next broadcast deal (2017) the owners want a bigger share of the A-League pie. Perhaps all of it. The FFA feel there's not a lot left to give. Is there room for compromise? We'll see.

Leading the charge - predictably - is the City Football Group, the new owners of Melbourne City. CFG gets its money from Abu Dhabi, and circulates it via Manchester City. It is at Eastlands where the big football decisions are made. Through the prism of the English Premier League, and all it surveys.

CFG wants to roll out the EPL template in Australia, but at first base it needs the other owners onside. So it has organised a pow-wow in Abu Dhabi to show the way. The way to where, exactly?

The EPL is a marketing triumph but a financial disaster - generating more debt than the rest of European football combined. Among the worst culprits are Manchester City, who just this year were fined £49 million ($88 million) for breaching the new Financial Fair Play rules. Money, clearly, is not a problem for CFG, but it is for many other A-League clubs. Some of the owners who've gathered in Abu Dhabi need to be careful - very careful - what they wish for.

At the heart of this, of course, is who should control the A-League. This is not a new debate. Gradually, over recent years, the FFA has loosened its grip. It had to. There was a distinct lack of understanding, and respect, for the owners from head office for many years.

Incrementally, the clubs have been given more freedom, and since the new broadcast deal they've certainly been given more money. For some clubs, though, it's still not enough. For the likes of CFG, it will never be enough. They want the league owned and run by the clubs, and not the governing body. The argument being this will liberate untold opportunities and riches, just like it has in the EPL.

Excuse me?

There are many issues surrounding the competition on which the owners need to be heard. Fixturing, the import quota, travel subsidies, ground signage, protected sponsorships and having a representative on the FFA board are among them. All of which, potentially, could help their bottom line. But these are small steps, and require hard graft.

The reward for taking the long view is there - Western Sydney Wanderers have proved it. But CFG, it seems, is looking for a short cut. A quick fix.

There is none.

If the model being presented in Abu Dhabi was the Bundesliga, one based on social capital with clubs built from the ground up, there might be a case for an independent A-League. But a model which follows the top-down approach of the EPL, one which only survives on the largesse of super-rich foreign owners and is increasingly removed from geography, demography, and reality, spells disaster in Australia.

If that's what emerges from the Abu Dhabi summit - and I suspect it will be - then in terms of the A-League the FFA might have to brace itself for a fight for survival. That's how much is at stake. Will commonsense, and the common good, prevail in the end? Perhaps. But it's not likely to be pretty in the meantime.

The last thing we really want here is an EPL template without a strong promotion/relegation system and most importantly we don't want all the money being siphoned into HAL teams at the expense of junior development. This is where English football has gone so wrong.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

CFG would better spend their time getting their crap Melbourne team playing competitive football

If you're going to draw a line in the sand, Abu Dhabi is a pretty good place to do it.

The A-League owners, some more disgruntled than others, gathered on the weekend in the capital of the UAE to talk about the future of their investments. Oh, and watch the F1. An offer even Nathan Tinkler, it seems, couldn't refuse.

Mutiny? Revolt? Not yet. But it's fair to say at Whitlam Square they'll be wriggling in their seats as they await the outcome. As always, it's about power, and money, which is why the FFA wasn't invited.

Truth is, the FFA was never going to be invited. Ahead of the next broadcast deal (2017) the owners want a bigger share of the A-League pie. Perhaps all of it. The FFA feel there's not a lot left to give. Is there room for compromise? We'll see.

Leading the charge - predictably - is the City Football Group, the new owners of Melbourne City. CFG gets its money from Abu Dhabi, and circulates it via Manchester City. It is at Eastlands where the big football decisions are made. Through the prism of the English Premier League, and all it surveys.

CFG wants to roll out the EPL template in Australia, but at first base it needs the other owners onside. So it has organised a pow-wow in Abu Dhabi to show the way. The way to where, exactly?

The EPL is a marketing triumph but a financial disaster - generating more debt than the rest of European football combined. Among the worst culprits are Manchester City, who just this year were fined £49 million ($88 million) for breaching the new Financial Fair Play rules. Money, clearly, is not a problem for CFG, but it is for many other A-League clubs. Some of the owners who've gathered in Abu Dhabi need to be careful - very careful - what they wish for.

At the heart of this, of course, is who should control the A-League. This is not a new debate. Gradually, over recent years, the FFA has loosened its grip. It had to. There was a distinct lack of understanding, and respect, for the owners from head office for many years.

Incrementally, the clubs have been given more freedom, and since the new broadcast deal they've certainly been given more money. For some clubs, though, it's still not enough. For the likes of CFG, it will never be enough. They want the league owned and run by the clubs, and not the governing body. The argument being this will liberate untold opportunities and riches, just like it has in the EPL.

Excuse me?

There are many issues surrounding the competition on which the owners need to be heard. Fixturing, the import quota, travel subsidies, ground signage, protected sponsorships and having a representative on the FFA board are among them. All of which, potentially, could help their bottom line. But these are small steps, and require hard graft.

The reward for taking the long view is there - Western Sydney Wanderers have proved it. But CFG, it seems, is looking for a short cut. A quick fix.

There is none.

If the model being presented in Abu Dhabi was the Bundesliga, one based on social capital with clubs built from the ground up, there might be a case for an independent A-League. But a model which follows the top-down approach of the EPL, one which only survives on the largesse of super-rich foreign owners and is increasingly removed from geography, demography, and reality, spells disaster in Australia.

If that's what emerges from the Abu Dhabi summit - and I suspect it will be - then in terms of the A-League the FFA might have to brace itself for a fight for survival. That's how much is at stake. Will commonsense, and the common good, prevail in the end? Perhaps. But it's not likely to be pretty in the meantime.

The last thing we really want here is an EPL template without a strong promotion/relegation system and most importantly we don't want all the money being siphoned into HAL teams at the expense of junior development. This is where English football has gone so wrong.

Totally agree Bela and the quote is spot on. in my opinion the FFA have done a fabulous job of developing football in Australia. It's been a slow and very difficult process but we are now on the cusp of really taking off. Changes have happened, will continue to do so but they must occur slowly. We will never be like the European leagues and for CFG to push this, and particularly now, is fraught with real dangers. As you say - just concentrate on getting a good club going here and giving the supporters some joy.

Yep. For mine, junior development is absolutely paramount to ensure football succeeds in this country. Without it, we'll forever be stuck with a crap league and crap NT.

Even though it's the writer's opinion in that article, it's still a concerning comment. Seriously hope there will always be coin to develop our future.

Personally my experience with CFG has been vaguely like that characterised immortally by Meatloaf in "Paradise By The Dashboard Light".  Right now I seem to be heading towards:

"'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive"

Am looking forward to the day they depart these shores (sky blue in tow).

In regards to this meeting, I'm not sure what their plans are, but based on their track record, self interest is likely to be the only thing on the agenda.  I hope the other clubs and indeed the FFA, tread wearily. 

Personally my experience with CFG has been vaguely like that characterised immortally by Meatloaf in "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". Right now I seem to be heading towards:

In regards to this meeting, I'm not sure what their plans are, but based on their track record, self interest is likely to be the only thing on the agenda. I hope the other clubs and indeed the FFA, tread wearily.

Mate give it a rest cfg is going no where. Also your quick to forget how shit the start to last season was because that was some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen from a football club when we went on that losing run. And I support Richmond I know all about embarrassing football. Edited by drewmelbcity

Personally my experience with CFG has been vaguely like that characterised immortally by Meatloaf in "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". Right now I seem to be heading towards:

In regards to this meeting, I'm not sure what their plans are, but based on their track record, self interest is likely to be the only thing on the agenda. I hope the other clubs and indeed the FFA, tread wearily.

Mate give it a rest cfg is going no where. Also your quick to forget how shit the start to last season was because that was some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen from a football club when we went on that losing run. And I support Richmond I know all about embarrassing football.

I really, really don't want to start this argument again but people do have a right to be bitter with CFG whether you think they do or not. In regards to our losing streak last year at least we were losing representing Melbourne and not Manchester City colonial outpost #8.

• Like 5

Mate give it a rest cfg is going no where. Also your quick to forget how shit the start to last season was because that was some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen from a football club when we went on that losing run. And I support Richmond I know all about embarrassing football.

I really, really don't want to start this argument again but people do have a right to be bitter with CFG whether you think they do or not. In regards to our losing streak last year at least we were losing representing Melbourne and not Manchester City colonial outpost #8.

The club is called Melbourne city majority supporters are from Melbourne. The club plays home games in Melbourne but somehow you are convinced we are somewhat not a Melbourne representation? If you are bitter with the take over fine that is your business but don't be delusional and think everything was rosy at Melbourne heart before the cfg takeover because it wasn't reality is we stunk like the brown stuff that comes out of a dog's end.

Mate give it a rest cfg is going no where. Also your quick to forget how shit the start to last season was because that was some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen from a football club when we went on that losing run. And I support Richmond I know all about embarrassing football. I really, really don't want to start this argument again but people do have a right to be bitter with CFG whether you think they do or not. In regards to our losing streak last year at least we were losing representing Melbourne and not Manchester City colonial outpost #8.

The club is called Melbourne city majority supporters are from Melbourne. The club plays home games in Melbourne but somehow you are convinced we are somewhat not a Melbourne representation? If you are bitter with the take over fine that is your business but don't be delusional and think everything was rosy at Melbourne heart before the cfg takeover because it wasn't reality is we stunk like the brown stuff that comes out of a dog's end.

I never said things were rosy before the take over they definitely weren't and anyway we aren't much better with CFG. We don't truly represent Melbourne we represent a global marketing strategy for Manchester City we wear a Manchester City third kit ffs (and would have been wearing an exact copy of the Manchester City kit bar the FFA) and a fair number of the crowd just wear Manchester City tops anyway. The one concession fans (who this club is representing the people FROM MELBOURNE) wanted was red and white stripes as a home kit and we didn't get that I just can't really understand people who say we're representing Melbourne and not just Manchester City's interests in Australia and Asia. Not that any of this matters anyway if people feel a connection it's up to them to decide if they support the franchise. I, personally are struggling to find reasons why I do support City other than being the other club in Melbourne that doesn't embody the dirtiest player of all time. Apologies for the rant just feeling a bit discontented at the moment. 

• Like 3

Strider, it sounds like you think all the fans care about is having on field success. Suggests they are, at core, a bunch of glory hunting bandwagoners. Would be rather sad if true.

Not at all, plenty of people I know simply ditched the club (franchise) altogether, even stopped caring about the A-League once the changes were made.

Not referring to all the fans. The core bunch of us showed up every single game even when we were dead last the previous season.

I'm talking in general terms, fans will increase with good results. So will the perception of the club.

Strider, it sounds like you think all the fans care about is having on field success. Suggests they are, at core, a bunch of glory hunting bandwagoners. Would be rather sad if true.

i went to Victory games before Heart.  Went to two Grand Finals.  Did not feel a connection with them.  The types of players, their on field conduct, their football philosophy of the coach and TD.  Never appealed to me.  Even if they were winning trophies

• Like 3

i went to Victory games before Heart.  Went to two Grand Finals.  Did not feel a connection with them.  The types of players, their on field conduct, their football philosophy of the coach and TD.  Never appealed to me.  Even if they were winning trophies

Spot on.

Edited by rass

So the comment about everyone forgetting the red, the white and heart was just hyperbole then? Fair enough. Personally my perception of the club has skydived - not because of the results, but because of things like editing the heart logo out of old photos.

As a lifelong supporter of teams who have never won their respective championships, results have never been what keep me tied to a club. Should City turn things around and win this season, it won't be enough to retain my loyalty and I'm most likely moving on unless I sense a change in their attitude towards the club's past.

• Like 4

A-League club owners are set to go head-to-head against Football Federation Australia over the looming cut to the number of visa player spots, with club bosses preparing to discuss their plans at the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix this weekend.

The meeting is at the behest of Manchester City and Melbourne City board member Simon Pearce, with Brisbane Roar chairman Chris Fong, of the Indonesian-owned Bakrie Group, revealing that top of the agenda is the owners' push to maintain the status quo of five visa places per club.

"That?s something we as owners have a really strong view on," said a revved up Fong. "We really don't want the number dropped to four next season as the FFA intends and are putting through a really strong case on that.

"You look at what players like Besart Berisha and Thomas Broich have brought to the competition and fans love watching these types of players. We should not be looking at cutting their numbers - for us it's a backwards step."

The owners, who will take their grievances back to FFA in a scheduled meeting with CEO David Gallop in Sydney in mid-December, are also looking at ways of cutting year-on-year losses, which will see them bleed a combined total approaching $20 million in 2014-2015.

"We just can?t keep on doing this," Fong said. "Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Victory are the only two clubs that are making any money. The rest of us aren?t.

"The good thing is we are getting together and helping each other to make things sustainable in the future."

Also high on the agenda is reducing what the owners see as FFA's all pervasive grip over every detail of the competition.

Fong, for one, sees expansion as crucial and would like to see teams from Asia invited into the competition.

"For me, that?s where the growth will come," he said. "We can?t just keep adding teams from Australia because they won?t survive ... that?s already been proven by what happened in northern Queensland and the Gold Coast.

"I saw Frank Lowy quoted as saying he thinks another four clubs could eventually come in, Maybe you could have another two teams from Australia, but that?s probably stretching it.

"Beyond that maybe one or two out of Asia might work. I think we need to look at it.

"We, as owners, don't want to just sit back and be told what to do. We want to develop our own plans and models and present them as stakeholders."

On the issue of FFA?s all-encompassing autonomy on the game, Fong said: "It was all right in the early days of the league for the FFA to have a lot of control but they need start releasing it a bit.

"When it comes to the finals series we don't see any of the revenue from that at all and neither do we get to run it."

With the current four-year $160 million TV rights deal due to expire on 30 June 2017, the owners want a bigger share of the spoils.

"The next TV deal is going to be really important and we are driving that deal and want to see greater transparency in where the money goes,? the Roar chairman said.

"There's a $160 million and about $100 million goes to the clubs (over four years) and we don't think that's right and would like a greater share."

Beyond finances, the owners are also keen to have a greater say in the governance of the competition.

"The FFA is trying and David Gallop has been fantastic. But things need to happen faster and there are a lot of impatient owners," explained Fong.

"When you are losing large amounts of money combined and when see areas where you can make it up ? you want to see action.

"None of us are interested in making money - we all just want to break even. That's the minimum we want."

Fong, Mariners boss Mike Charlesworth, Pearce and Perth Glory?s Tony Sage, met with English Premier League boss Richard Scudamore earlier this year to take a closer look at the English model.

They will also be heading to the United States soon to meet officials from New York Red Bulls and Washington?s DC United.

"We want to come up with a plan for the next 10 years of the A-League and how we want see it grow," said Fong.

"And we want a stronger say it that growth."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/19/league-club-chiefs-battle-ffa-over-visa-players

Definately should not scale back the foreigners.

Having said that the owners can't blame the FFA for some of the dumbass recruits they have brought in.

Asian expansion will be blocked by the AFC.

The FFA has relied on other peoples money, i.e. the owners, to build the A-league. This is fine if there is a profit or least if clubs can break even but when most are losing money the clubs will revolt. To date the discontent has only been simmering because the owners haven't been big enough to take on the FFA. But with CFG the owners have more muscle so I expect FFA to bend a little more.

I can't see expansion of HAL to >10 teams while simultaneously reducing the number of foreign players and still maintaining/improving football quality on the pitch. It can't work surely because the available pool of good local players is limited - like Ramsay/Hoff/Redders/Tando is the best we can do? We have to allow clubs to seek out good talent O/S so we lift our playing standards and in turn crowds will grow. As above, Berisha, Broich, and I would add Hersi and now Keogh, Duff provide that extra spark but are not ridiculously expensive to bring to our league - and the crowds love them and they compliment local emerging talent.

Edited by HEARTinator

Definately should not scale back the foreigners.

Having said that the owners can't blame the FFA for some of the dumbass recruits they have brought in.

Asian expansion will be blocked by the AFC.

The FFA has relied on other peoples money, i.e. the owners, to build the A-league. This is fine if there is a profit or least if clubs can break even but when most are losing money the clubs will revolt. To date the discontent has only been simmering because the owners haven't been big enough to take on the FFA. But with CFG the owners have more muscle so I expect FFA to bend a little more.

I can't see expansion of HAL to >10 teams while simultaneously reducing the number of foreign players and still maintaining/improving football quality on the pitch. It can't work surely because the available pool of good local players is limited - like Ramsay/Hoff/Redders/Tando is the best we can do? We have to allow clubs to seek out good talent O/S so we lift our playing standards and in turn crowds will grow. As above, Berisha, Broich, and I would add Hersi and now Keogh, Duff provide that extra spark but are not ridiculously expensive to bring to our league - and the crowds love them and they compliment local emerging talent.

Improving the quality of local players is the key for the long term health of the competition. Improving the quality of visa players is also a plus but given the overall hit and miss with respect to quality I don't believe it is that critical. Instead what we need is better coaching.  What Gombau has done at AU

is fantastic because he has improved the skills of the lower half of their players and astute use of the visa players. Right now I think that a re-focus on the NYL and their coaching is probably warranted.

After seeing the effort gone into the New York kit it is disappointing to see us given the hand me down third kit of Man City. Would be nice if there was a bit more care taken to design our own kit.

I have a feeling we were probably on the way to having a reasonably good looking sky blue kit before Sydney cracked the sads, forcing CFG to come up with something on short notice that 1) incorporated sky blue and 2) didn't make Sydney cry- hence the shirt we have.

I actually don't mind it, but for mine it's not really a home shirt...

Edited by Cityamatic
  • Like 1