Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

You have to pay extra to go to the local derby can't see them giving a man city - melb city game away for free.

I guess we'll find out in due course. It's an obvious enticement to get members signed up and close the gap between the Melbourne teams' membership numbers and also, the game would presumably be played at Etihad (if not the MCG), which, even given Man City's standing in the game, would probably take some filling. From my perspective, I'd go regardless though, so it's certainly a fair point that you make. Even just a members on-sale date before the general public would be nice.

With training started, and now the name, colours, logo, playing strips and calibre of player have all been revealed, how do people feel about City Football Group as a business model for Football, going forward?

I was speaking to a guy about David Villa coming to Melbourne City and he was all excited till he learnt that it was through the CFG model. 'Global corporations and football don't feel right', was the gist of his response. I said that without a model that considered globalisation, forget about a player like Villa coming to our league in at least our generation.

Personally I am ok with what has changed and how our club is now owned and I think we are in for interesting and exciting times ahead. I will eagerly continuing supporting the club, just as I always have and can't wait for some sweet success!

CFG have generically talked a good talk thus far and there is definitely an added air of professionalism around the club which does bode well for the immediate future .... but I wonder how CFG will handle things if for instance we can't get more than 10k average to games, or if we don't meet membership targets, or if we don't have the quick successes on pitch - how they respond in these circumstances will probably tell us more than if things are going well.

It does seem that the tards are on the defensive and are trying to branch out to other regions - I see this as them ceding Melbourne to City!

Onwards and upwards - can't wait for the FFA cup opener - a massive opportunity to make a serious statement!!

• Like 3

With training started, and now the name, colours, logo, playing strips and calibre of player have all been revealed, how do people feel about City Football Group as a business model for Football, going forward?

I was speaking to a guy about David Villa coming to Melbourne City and he was all excited till he learnt that it was through the CFG model. 'Global corporations and football don't feel right', was the gist of his response. I said that without a model that considered globalisation, forget about a player like Villa coming to our league in at least our generation.

Personally I am ok with what has changed and how our club is now owned and I think we are in for interesting and exciting times ahead. I will eagerly continuing supporting the club, just as I always have and can't wait for some sweet success!

CFG have generically talked a good talk thus far and there is definitely an added air of professionalism around the club which does bode well for the immediate future .... but I wonder how CFG will handle things if for instance we can't get more than 10k average to games, or if we don't meet membership targets, or if we don't have the quick successes on pitch - how they respond in these circumstances will probably tell us more than if things are going well.

It does seem that the tards are on the defensive and are trying to branch out to other regions - I see this as them ceding Melbourne to City!

Onwards and upwards - can't wait for the FFA cup opener - a massive opportunity to make a serious statement!!

that was my first impression when I heard of Victory branching out as well. 

It won't be long before we'll be the bigger club both on and off the pitch. I can't wait to hear their negative abusive comments towards us, which of course will just be them masking their envy of our success. 

Some good points there.. In some parts of the world like USA people are used to sport groups (often local ones) having several teams, often in different sports as well or even in some cases having several teams in the same league and they hardly care. You might support a MSG team like Knickerbockers but refuse to support NY Rangers because you like Islanders that belong to some other OG better.

In other parts of the world like Europe and South America clubs often have a lot of different sports/teams under the same umbrella.

Basically it´s about synergy, that the whole is bigger than the parts.. That´s "the project" really as I see it

Edit/ I made victorynet a visit and you are correct that their fans are a bit miffed, they see it as Victory are unwilling to fight for their position as top dog in Melbourne.. :huh:

Edited by M13
  • Like 1

TA, I still think that we are going to have to work very hard to build a solid membership and supporter base, even with the likes of Villa, Duff and others on board. It's going to require a big marketing and PR effort because we are coming off a low base, two awful seasons, and interest wanes very quickly unless you keep the momentum going. We lost momentum over the past couple of months and see how quickly negative sentiments started to creep in. Since pre-season started we've started well on the PR side, but now it's critical to keep it going.

• Like 2

TA, I still think that we are going to have to work very hard to build a solid membership and supporter base, even with the likes of Villa, Duff and others on board. It's going to require a big marketing and PR effort because we are coming off a low base, two awful seasons, and interest wanes very quickly unless you keep the momentum going. We lost momentum over the past couple of months and see how quickly negative sentiments started to creep in. Since pre-season started we've started well on the PR side, but now it's critical to keep it going.

If you look at all CFG (or pre-CFG, ADUG) projects they have all been regarded as incredibly difficult.. I sometimes get the feeling that Sheikh Mansour love a long term challenge

Unless Victory are extremely stupid, CFG's takeover is an opportunity for them to promote themselves as the local battler up against the foreign money bags.  Aussies hate rich people getting their way, remember.

Fortunately for us, they ARE extremely stupid!

Not called 'tards for nuthin' 

• Like 1

Unless Victory are extremely stupid, CFG's takeover is an opportunity for them to promote themselves as the local battler up against the foreign money bags.  Aussies hate rich people getting their way, remember.

They are doing a great job alienating some of their fans it seems..

Yup, this, coupled with the way they have treated their fans the past few years doesn't bode well for them...

Not that it bothers me in the slightest haha!

Er... City has kicked a few own goals on that front too.

Not really in that context I think, they have changed things that have no doubt alienated a number of fans but an own goal would be something like say moving games to Etihad just because of the sponsor symmetry despite it being a stadium unfit for the team..

They are doing a great job alienating some of their fans it seems..Er... City has kicked a few own goals on that front too.

Not really in that context I think, they have changed things that have no doubt alienated a number of fans but an own goal would be something like say moving games to Etihad just because of the sponsor symmetry despite it being a stadium unfit for the team..Blokes clearly not a heart supporter, no one on this forum would so eagerly jump to defend the mongs.

Edit: If he is he's a conflicted one to say the least.

Edited by Boffins

They are doing a great job alienating some of their fans it seems.. Er... City has kicked a few own goals on that front too. Not really in that context I think, they have changed things that have no doubt alienated a number of fans but an own goal would be something like say moving games to Etihad just because of the sponsor symmetry despite it being a stadium unfit for the team.. Blokes clearly not a heart supporter, no one on this forum would so eagerly jump to defend the mongs.

Edit: If he is he's a conflicted one to say the least.

No idea and I don´t really care, his previous post are a bit "odd" but so are we at times.. but perhaps not all the time :lol:

If you look at all CFG (or pre-CFG, ADUG) projects they have all been regarded as incredibly difficult.. I sometimes get the feeling that Sheikh Mansour love a long term challenge

Agree, I think now or most likely post World Cup CFG need to make a statement about the intentions or goals or vision if you like about the club. Until now we (lose generalisation ) have been under the impression that Melbourne heart now City are a club about youth development, community values and playing attractive soccer. I think it's extremely important that its stated categorically that is our mission and that all club related decisions are based on this philosophy. We don't need to know every detail (although that would be nice), but more a general statement of intent if you like. Once and for all tell the world what most of us have been drawn club by, these core values.

My father told me to judge a man by his actions, not his words. When you're on top of the league winning trophies every season, with the best football academy in Australia, then you'll be able to judge CFG's true intentions. Words are nothing, ask anyone who ever believed the promises of a politician.

Agree, I think now or most likely post World Cup CFG need to make a statement about the intentions or goals or vision if you like about the club. Until now we (lose generalisation ) have been under the impression that Melbourne heart now City are a club about youth development, community values and playing attractive soccer. I think it's extremely important that its stated categorically that is our mission and that all club related decisions are based on this philosophy. We don't need to know every detail (although that would be nice), but more a general statement of intent if you like. Once and for all tell the world what most of us have been drawn club by, these core values.

My father told me to judge a man by his actions, not his words. When you're on top of the league winning trophies every season, with the best football academy in Australia, then you'll be able to judge CFG's true intentions. Words are nothing, ask anyone who ever believed the promises of a politician.

A better scenario for judgment will be if we're still getting below 10k crowds after 10 years of heavy investment. 

• Like 1

M13 my point wasn't really about believing in a politicians statement. The owners and management of Melbourne City are not doing things to gain my vote. My point was that at this point in time, just post takeover when the club is being re-branded and aligned with the CFG that now is the time to unequivocally state what Melbourne City stands for as a broad statement. If you look at all the great clubs (now this now opens huge debate), but IMO, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Manchester United, they all have a true identity about them. Generally their teams play a particular way, they tend to recruit and produce like-styled players. 

So what I am saying that now at this point in time Melbourne City management need to and must make this sort of a statement. I can tell you that Melburnians and Victorians will be drawn to an organisation that makes a simple, no b/s statement and then over time deliver on this. The evidence is there, what has been done in Manchester is remarkable and here should be no different.  

A better scenario for judgment will be if we're still getting below 10k crowds after 10 years of heavy investment. 

Let this argument continue for another 10 years.

• Like 1

Multi quoting can be turned off if that's what the majority prefer.

Introducung a cap of say 3 or 4 layers of quotes per multi quote would be ideal. If the forum could automatically trim the excess quotes when you hit the quote button on someone's post then it'll be perfect.

:hkpalm:

With our name change now official maybe it is time to change our walk out song. Dare I suggest Paradide City.

Where the grass is green......

Whats our current walk out song? :hkpalm:

SHT

:hkpalm:

multi quote 

Edited by Dylan