Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Perception.  People aren't going to perceive that a 35 year old is going to make a huge difference to the quality of the team, hence the player is not as big a drawcard.  They'll see a player at the end of his career merely looking for one more paycheck, rather than a player who desires success.  They'll also believe that a 35 year old isn't going to recover from injury as quickly as a younger player.  It's hard to get excited about such a player. 

For a 35 year old to have an impact on crowd numbers he's going to need to be a much more recognisable name than Damien Duff (eg. Del Piero).  Rightly or wrongly, that's what tends to happen. 

That's all fair enough, but if what has been reported is to be believed, I'd argue that it's highly likely that he isn't signing as a marquee (the 'joining Melbourne for the second half of the season' part, for starters). And I reckon on a 'recognisability' scale for a marquee, Duff would probably be about a solid 8/10. Except, I'm assuming if he does join the club, it won't be as the marquee. Which would make him an extremely exciting pick-up.

I just think we've got to be realistic about where this club and this league sits, in the grand scheme. Big-name internationals in their absolute prime aren't going to be queuing up to play halfway across the world in a third/fourth rate competition, regardless of how nice the weather is, unless we offer them ridiculous money to do so.

Our weather isn't very nice

Send him to Albury in January for a game.

Lampards name popped up during an interview with Mark Schwarzer..

"Well, all I can say is that he did ask me about Melbourne Heart."

"So he did ask me a couple of weeks ago, what Melbourne was like, and what Melbourne Heart was like.

"I spoke very highly of Melbourne, I actually love Melbourne a lot, it's a great city.

"I said to him how passionate the Victorians were, with particularly their sport, and there is huge potential for the game in Australia, and it would be unbelievable if he went to Australia, and I said to him he would love living there. It's a great place to live.

"He walked away with that, and I know what he's like, we have the same agent. So, you know, we'll see. Watch this space. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw him in the A-League at some stage."

Looks like you might have a chance of getting Lampard.

Incidentally, how are Heart doing for Goalkeepers, Schwarzer sounds interested and has just left Chelsea :D

"So he did ask me a couple of weeks ago, what Melbourne was like, and what Melbourne Heart was like.

"I spoke very highly of Melbourne, I actually love Melbourne a lot, it's a great city.

"I said to him how passionate the Victorians were, with particularly their sport, and there is huge potential for the game in Australia, and it would be unbelievable if he went to Australia, and I said to him he would love living there. It's a great place to live.

"He walked away with that, and I know what he's like, we have the same agent. So, you know, we'll see. Watch this space. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw him in the A-League at some stage."

Incidentally, how are Heart doing for Goalkeepers, Schwarzer sounds interested and has just left Chelsea :D

If you actually watched the video, instead of doing a copy/paste from an other thread, you'd have heard that Mourinho wants him to remain at CFC for one more season and that his family is settled in London.

Edited by LR9

In my view Heart have two "back up quality" keepers on the roster.  One of whom we have just re-signed.  Why we didn't take the opportunity to sign a genuine starting keeper and relegate last year's No 1 (who was still on contract) to No 2 is a subject of much debate and confusion on here.

We would need to release one of these guys to sign the Schwarz, so at present it seems a bit of a pipe dream.

In my view Heart have two "back up quality" keepers on the roster.  One of whom we have just re-signed.  Why we didn't take the opportunity to sign a genuine starting keeper and relegate last year's No 1 (who was still on contract) to No 2 is a subject of much debate and confusion on here.

We would need to release one of these guys to sign the Schwarz, so at present it seems a bit of a pipe dream.

Are their any good young keepers coming up from any of the state leagues? Wouldn't mind giving a kid a gig over redders and tando

At the time the rationalization on here was we did it because we could get Velaphi dirt cheap. Same argument was used with Hoffman. Why we rushed in is beyond me - not as if anyone else was chasing him.

From reports Bray, Maynard and Stevanja all seemed to do pretty well although the only one I've seen personally is Maynard and that was some time ago.

I would have liked to have seen us go for Birighitti, especially with the troubles at Hunter Sports Group.

Perception. People aren't going to perceive that a 35 year old is going to make a huge difference to the quality of the team, hence the player is not as big a drawcard. They'll see a player at the end of his career merely looking for one more paycheck, rather than a player who desires success. They'll also believe that a 35 year old isn't going to recover from injury as quickly as a younger player. It's hard to get excited about such a player.

For a 35 year old to have an impact on crowd numbers he's going to need to be a much more recognisable name than Damien Duff (eg. Del Piero). Rightly or wrongly, that's what tends to happen.

That's all fair enough, but if what has been reported is to be believed, I'd argue that it's highly likely that he isn't signing as a marquee (the 'joining Melbourne for the second half of the season' part, for starters). And I reckon on a 'recognisability' scale for a marquee, Duff would probably be about a solid 8/10. Except, I'm assuming if he does join the club, it won't be as the marquee. Which would make him an extremely exciting pick-up.

I just think we've got to be realistic about where this club and this league sits, in the grand scheme. Big-name internationals in their absolute prime aren't going to be queuing up to play halfway across the world in a third/fourth rate competition, regardless of how nice the weather is, unless we offer them ridiculous money to do so.

Send him to Albury in January for a game.

Ballarat in July

Perception.  People aren't going to perceive that a 35 year old is going to make a huge difference to the quality of the team, hence the player is not as big a drawcard.  They'll see a player at the end of his career merely looking for one more paycheck, rather than a player who desires success.  They'll also believe that a 35 year old isn't going to recover from injury as quickly as a younger player.  It's hard to get excited about such a player. 

For a 35 year old to have an impact on crowd numbers he's going to need to be a much more recognisable name than Damien Duff (eg. Del Piero).  Rightly or wrongly, that's what tends to happen. 

Really?

If you actually watched the video, instead of doing a copy/paste from an other thread, you'd have heard that Mourinho wants him to remain at CFC for one more season and that his family is settled in London. Lampard or Schwarzer? Both have left Chelsea already in either case, if their contacts were to be renewed I'd think they would have already done so.

If you actually watched the video, instead of doing a copy/paste from an other thread, you'd have heard that Mourinho wants him to remain at CFC for one more season and that his family is settled in London. Lampard or Schwarzer? Both have left Chelsea already in either case, if their contacts were to be renewed I'd think they would have already done so.

:droy:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/City-Football-Group-Confirms-Name-Change-To-Melbourne-City-FC/90757

00090757-leadimage.jpg

The owners of Melbourne Heart FC have today announced the renaming of the Club to Melbourne City FC. The change was announced in a letter to the Club’s members from Ferran Soriano, CEO of the City Football Group (CFG), that also unveiled a new club badge inspired by the heritage of Melbourne and approved kit designs for the upcoming season. 

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/City-Football-Group-Confirms-Name-Change-To-Melbourne-City-FC/90757

00090757-leadimage.jpg

The owners of Melbourne Heart FC have today announced the renaming of the Club to Melbourne City FC. The change was announced in a letter to the Club’s members from Ferran Soriano, CEO of the City Football Group (CFG), that also unveiled a new club badge inspired by the heritage of Melbourne and approved kit designs for the upcoming season. 

i didn't get a letter or email. did anyone get one?

Email to members

Dear Members,

Following a lengthy consultation with many of our members, partners and other stakeholders, I am writing to share with you of a number of changes being announced today in relation to the identity of our Club.

Most notably, I can confirm that a decision has been made to change the name of the Club to Melbourne City Football Club. We have created a new badge that is inspired by the heritage of Melbourne that also ensures the Club’s foundation colours of red and white remain at the heart of its identity.

The Home Kit combines the white from the Club’s original kits with the signature blue of its sister clubs in Manchester and New York.  The Away Kit celebrates the Club’s history with its red and white stripes. Both will be available for order in advance of the upcoming season.I am delighted to confirm the appointment of Nike as the official on-field kit supplier to Melbourne City FC and to reveal the two kit designs our players will be wearing in the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season.  The partnership with Nike is an exciting development that will ensure Melbourne City FC will be competing in kit and equipment of the highest quality.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for the clear and respectful way in which so many of you have shared your views with us in recent months.  Specifically, I would like to thank those that responded to our members’ survey, those that contacted us by phone and in writing, and those that have shared their opinions in other ways.None of these decisions has been taken lightly.  We believe the changes announced today will strengthen the Club’s ties with the community to which it belongs while expanding its ability to grow commercially and harness the many benefits of belonging to the City family.  We also believe they strike an ideal balance between celebrating the Club’s existing traditions and realising the opportunities available to it in the future

We are optimistic about the upcoming season.  Since his reappointment in March 2014, Head Coach John van’t Schip has been working closely with colleagues in Melbourne, Manchester and New York to assemble a balanced and competitive squad for Melbourne City FC.  I am thrilled to announce that New York City FC striker and Spanish World Cup player David Villa will play, train and contribute to Melbourne City FC’s campaign in the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season prior to making his debut for New York City FC in the MLS.

I hope that each of you will choose to be a part of this exciting new era for football in Melbourne.Memberships for Melbourne City FC are now available from membership.melbournecityfc.com.au.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano

CEO, City Football Group (majority owners of Melbourne City FC)

I just read this on the official website: "The new Home Kit for Melbourne City FC combines the white from the Club’s previous kit designs with the signature blue of its sister clubs in Manchester and New York. The new Away Kit for Melbourne City FC celebrates the Club’s history, the wishes of its existing fan base and the red and white that remains at the heart of its identity" 

So it is sky blue?

Email to members

Dear Members,

Following a lengthy consultation with many of our members, partners and other stakeholders, I am writing to share with you of a number of changes being announced today in relation to the identity of our Club.

Most notably, I can confirm that a decision has been made to change the name of the Club to Melbourne City Football Club. We have created a new badge that is inspired by the heritage of Melbourne that also ensures the Club’s foundation colours of red and white remain at the heart of its identity.

The Home Kit combines the white from the Club’s original kits with the signature blue of its sister clubs in Manchester and New York.  The Away Kit celebrates the Club’s history with its red and white stripes. Both will be available for order in advance of the upcoming season.I am delighted to confirm the appointment of Nike as the official on-field kit supplier to Melbourne City FC and to reveal the two kit designs our players will be wearing in the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season.  The partnership with Nike is an exciting development that will ensure Melbourne City FC will be competing in kit and equipment of the highest quality.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for the clear and respectful way in which so many of you have shared your views with us in recent months.  Specifically, I would like to thank those that responded to our members’ survey, those that contacted us by phone and in writing, and those that have shared their opinions in other ways.None of these decisions has been taken lightly.  We believe the changes announced today will strengthen the Club’s ties with the community to which it belongs while expanding its ability to grow commercially and harness the many benefits of belonging to the City family.  We also believe they strike an ideal balance between celebrating the Club’s existing traditions and realising the opportunities available to it in the future

We are optimistic about the upcoming season.  Since his reappointment in March 2014, Head Coach John van’t Schip has been working closely with colleagues in Melbourne, Manchester and New York to assemble a balanced and competitive squad for Melbourne City FC.  I am thrilled to announce that New York City FC striker and Spanish World Cup player David Villa will play, train and contribute to Melbourne City FC’s campaign in the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season prior to making his debut for New York City FC in the MLS.

I hope that each of you will choose to be a part of this exciting new era for football in Melbourne.Memberships for Melbourne City FC are now available from membership.melbournecityfc.com.au.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano

CEO, City Football Group (majority owners of Melbourne City FC)

LOL  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

anyone seen the away kit? I'm not sure about the symbolism of the logo (and of course logos are all about symbolism) with the Melbourne logo encircled by light blue, but I can live with it, the colours are much more important. I can live with red and black stripes, what is the away strip?

Whale, boat, cow and ram on the logo. What is the history behind them?

All part of the cities history.

Whaling, commerce and farming make up key industries at the time Melbourne's city crest was created in the 1800's.

IMHO, its a good outcome and one that will hopefully appease some. I am sure there are still a few that are deeply dissapointed though by change, but overall, it was the compromise they stated clearly all along.

Edited by Heart_fan