Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

If they change our name to Melbourne City will "Ticker" become "Slicker" as in City Slicker? ;-)

Also one thing Soriano emphasized on at the end of that video on TWG is our team getting state-of-the-art training facilities! No more wheelie bins :-D

Ticker can wear hipster black and grow a beard and ride onto the ground on a fixie

I've thought a lot about this today and where it will take us all. Heated debate over dinner and discussion of pros and cons. But at the end of the day, after nearly two years of abject despair with a shit coach and a worse game plan, I've decided I'm buying a ticket and jumping on this ride. As the roller coaster (and I'm sure it will be!!) chugs up the first hill, I'm sitting up front and planning to hit the first corner with my hands in the air screaming my guts out.

We are entering uncertain times with change at our doorstep and confronting us to our core. But compared to the inert torpor we've all been in, despair, frustration and anger, I'm up for uncertain times. Fuck, it might even end up playing out well, but I'd rather something new and bold and end up flat on my arse, than continue as we are.

Jump on board folks. There are no guarantees in life, but this will be interesting - something we can't say about the last two years!!

• Like 3

This investment for city is smart, while NY FC will bring revenue the MLS doesn't compete in any international football. As all the experts say that the future of football is in Asia, now City have a club which they can build to be a serious contender and a major force in Asia..

So what does this mean for us? Just sit back and enjoy the ride..

Picture this, no more 19 games without a win, Many more final appearances, silverware and success.. The future is bright...

People need to remember that Manchester City have never changed a team's colours to sky blue. In regards to NYCFC, that's a completely new club started from scratch so was always likely to be light blue. I've seen people on 442 use Hyde F.C. as an example of changing colours, but that's balderdash. Firstly, they aren't owned by Manchester City - the latter simply saved them from bankruptcy in exchange for use of facilities for their reserves team and to remove United from their name. Finally, their home kit is red and blue with the only blue part of the kit being the shorts. It must also be mentioned that the shorts are dark blue too. Long live the red and white.

• Like 1

I'm sure that this has been said before but, when you follow a club, you follow them no matter what. That means through all the losses, draws, wins, stupid signings + sales, poor league positions, cup triumphs, bad managers, good managers and change in ownership. But now we have the chance to play good football and win at the sake of changing our name and logo at a 4yo club, some are against it? I'm sorry but that is just illogical. If the club was 50yo I would understand, but come on, we will always be known as the Heart and we will always be in Melbourne

If they start changing everything at some point it is no longer our club.

How relevant!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Yes, that's a good one. Grandfather's axe and all that. I had a bike like that when I was a kid - several new frames, wheels and handlebars as I grew. And new parts as others failed. That old bike lasted me for years. Of course in terms of atoms and molecules it was no longer the same bike. But in terms of my affection for it, our mutual belonging to one another, of course it was the same old bike.

And that's the solution to the paradox.

As it will be for Heart. Arsenal were once known as Dial Square; Manchester United as Newton Heath LYR. After three miserable seasons let's look on the upside.

Well said JW. I have had things for years. You patch them re-stuff them etc. The colour may have even changed but it still the same item to me. My attachment to the thing is still the same. Unfortunately nothing every stays the same that's what make life enjoyable. But have that's just me.  :)

hey guys,

i posted this a while back when a name change was on the cards. if you ignore the melburnians tag on the logo and just change it to melbourne city  i think this could be a really cool way to rebrand the club yet keep some of its history. while also enhancing the links with the city of melbourne!

"in the logo i've got the club name Melburnians FC in a shield with the "red cross" of the melbourne coat of arms (with crown). 
in the bottom two quadrants i have a heart (reference to the founding name) and an old school football (for traditional looking purposes).
the founding year is in a banner down the bottom."

I'm just throwing around ideas here, what do you guys think? also have a kit that i drew up too.

As a City fan from Manchester, another couple of points to add that haven't been touched on much:

- Our owners have and are heavily investing in the East Manchester community which was posted by a fellow blue before (things such as the metro to the ground, a new college for the area, the academy facilities, and future plans suggest a collar site of shops and a hotel. Before all this the surrounding area of the stadium was one of the dullest, most deprived in Manchester. Our owners are very big on building the community - this has been one of the biggest points for New York as well so you can expect the same.

- Part of our philosophy is to develop some of the best youth players there are and who will eventually play for the first team having grown up through our system being City through and through. There is an emphasis on getting local youth players on board as well from the community - one of the key ideas behind New York City FC also, so again you can expect the same - developing Australian youth players will not only be good for Melbourne but for your national side as well. In Manchester, before our owners we had always brought youth through and quite a lot are playing professionally through the British leagues and some overseas - we have now overhauled our youth system into a new elite system so bringing youth through to the first team will take some time but Marcos Lopes (one of our biggest prospects) has recently been proving himself capable of playing with the first team, also Dedryck Boyata is a first team squad player and of course Joe Hart who came to us as an U19 player is our first choice keeper and one of the best in the world when he's in form. I imagine this process would start out a lot easier for you with the nature of your league.

For those of you who are unsure of your new owners - I can tell you, they are nothing like Abramovich (Chelsea), Vincent Tan (Cardiff) etc or all the owners in football that get bad rep and don't care about what the fans want. Excluding fan owned clubs, our owners are seriously the best in the world and they will not disappoint - they have retained every aspect of identity our club has (except maybe Typical City which if you don't know was what we always referred to ourselves as because whenever we seemed to be doing something good we'd mess it up at the last minute or put the fans through a world of pain). None of us know for sure what rebranding Melbourne will go through but I think every one of you should embrace it (I'm sure you will be listened to on what you want). Probably all European clubs have gone through rebranding at some point or other and your still in the early development stages.

Again we don't know what the owners will look to do with the kits but some of us on our own forums like the idea of your home kit being red and black (one of our traditional away kits) similar to below:

Neil-Young-007.jpg

Just a suggestion as oppose to you wearing sky blue, so wondered what you would think of this as a home kit? To be honest with the Melbourne flag being red and white I don't think your home colours will change though which I'm sure you'd appreciate. An away kit with a sky blue stripe or something similar would be a good enough way of alluding to being part of the City group.

Edited by M24 Citizen
  • Like 6

Sydney FC said no to Manchester City millions

January 24, 2014

Sebastian Hassett

Before Manchester City settled on purchasing Melbourne Heart, the cashed-up English Premier League club tried to buy Sydney FC last year.

City rocked the Australian football landscape on Thursday by claiming an 80 per cent stake in the expansion club, a deal that effectively transforms the A-League strugglers into one of nation's most powerful clubs. But the Heart were not City's first Australian choice and perhaps not even their second.

Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow revealed to Fairfax Media that he point-blank rejected the overtures of City's Abu Dhabi-based investors last year.

''It was flattering for us that Manchester City made an approach to us early last year to explore the possibility of buying into Sydney FC,'' Barlow said. "They outlined their plans to create a network of clubs in the world's most iconic cities.

''Their primary focus at the time was New York but Sydney was very much on their radar. I conveyed that we were by no means motivated sellers and that we were very committed to Sydney FC.''

Barlow said Sydney FC owner David Traktovenko, who is Barlow's father-in-law, was only looking to increase his investment in the club in the years ahead. Clearly, Sydney are not threatened by the new arrivals. ''Today's announcement I believe is a positive for Melbourne Heart and we welcome Manchester City's involvement on the A-League,'' Barlow said.

"What we won't welcome is any attempt they make to introduce sky blue. There's only one sky blue club in the A-League, and that's Sydney."

Fairfax Media also understands City's owners were briefly considering a stake in the Western Sydney Wanderers. It is believed FFA chairman Frank Lowy was keen to talk City's owners into taking charge of the Wanderers when he heard of their desire to buy an Australian club.

However, the Citizens' global project is to target inner-city clubs, in keeping with the team's name. They have also purchased a new franchise for Major League Soccer, named New York City FC, who will debut in 2015.

Despite funding the club's overhaul from underachievers to global powerhouses, Sheikh Mansour is seldom spotted at Manchester City and is hardly expected to set foot inside AAMI Park.

But his in-laws might be impressed: one of Sheikh Mansour's two wives is a daughter of Godolphin owner Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, who has become obsessed with winning the Melbourne Cup.

While the $11.5 million takeover has secured Manchester City an 80 per cent stake, the new ownership group in charge of Melbourne Storm - led by Bart Campbell - have secured a 20 per cent.

The FFA sanctioned the deal on Wednesday night, claiming Hunter Sports Group's co-ownership of the Newcastle Knights and Newcastle Jets was proof the sports could co-exist. The NRL has also given the deal their blessing.

Central Coast Mariners coach Phil Moss, who was at Northern Spirit when Scottish club Rangers took over, said the deal would likely turn Heart into a contender.

''It obviously adds some glamour to the league and some profile,'' he said. ''What their motivations are for buying into the league will probably come out in the next few days and what they're looking to do and how the relationship will work. But certainly to have a brand like Manchester City come into the A-League shows just how far we've come. It's a real feather in the cap.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-said-no-to-manchester-city-millions-20140123-31bsk.html

@M24 Citizen

Thanks for the sentiment pal, I know you've got our best interest at heart (maybe not)...

But we aren't just an arm of City, your history means nothing to our club, and our colours shouldn't be changed, certainly not to something that is/was used by your club at any point of your history.

We should be treated as sister clubs and that's what the hierarchy has alluded to already, not anything like the 'Red Bull' clubs have done...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 3

Thanks for the sentiment pal, I know you've got our best interest at heart (maybe not)...

But we aren't just an arm of City, your history means nothing to our club, and our colours shouldn't be changed, certainly not to something that is/was used by your club at any point of your history.

We should be treated as sister clubs and that's what the hierarchy has alluded to already, not anything like the 'Red Bull' clubs have done...

owe you a like.

we must make it very clear that we are Melbourne (City/Heart) Not Mini-Man City

@M24 Citizen

Yeah your totally right mate, knowing our owners I think that is how things are planned.

We wouldn't have even been discussing kits if you didn't wear red! ;)

@M24 Citizen

Yeah your totally right mate, knowing our owners I think that is how things are planned.

We wouldn't have even been discussing kits if you didn't wear red! ;)And if it wasn't for this buyout, you wouldn't even know we exist, let alone be posting on our forum. ;)

Welcome, mate.

Buy out aami park and make it exclusive to heart. No storm and no victory teams. The stadium just for heart.

Name change I don't mind at all. Colour change yeah I do mind.

Make the club massive. I like how he says they want the stadium full. One day it'd be nice to see those tards sitting in their little corner of the stadium during a derby.

Buy out aami park and make it exclusive to heart. No storm and no victory teams. The stadium just for heart.

Name change I don't mind at all. Colour change yeah I do mind.

Make the club massive. I like how he says they want the stadium full. One day it'd be nice to see those tards sitting in their little corner of the stadium during a derby.

Im sure that would be great for the business relationship between Bart Campbell and Man City

Great to get so much input from Man City supporters. A number of valuable and interesting points have been raised.

It's my judgement that Man City and Melbourne Heart have a number of things in common, such as an intent to play attacking football, a focus on promoting youth (ideally developed at the club), community engagement (e.g., Sheikh Mansour's work in East Manchester) and arguably somewhat humble and not so successful histories (enough said on that topic).

The ownership of Man City clearly believe there's enough common interests for Man City and Melbourne Heart to work together.

However, it is pretty crucial that Heart stays Red and White (red and black is no good, as another A-League club, the Western Sydney Wanderers, are red and black). It looks pretty likely that Melbourne Heart will be renamed Melbourne City, a change that might be, if only begrudgingly, accepted. But the colours must remain the same, or else there will be too many changes, and this club will look like a smaller and cheaper imitation of Manchester City.

The Man City CEO Ferran Soriano said 'this is not going to be a small Manchester City', and if there's to be any truth to that statement this club must remain Red and White. It would prove that this club isn't hopelessly derivative of the Man City brand. And it surely can't be in Man City's interest to have such a largely derivative clone-club called Melbourne City in the Australian A-League.

Thankfully, I believe reason will prevail with regards to Heart's colours. Also, the majority of statements I've read from Man City representatives state that Melbourne Heart and Man City will have a sense of equality in numerous respects, each aiming for the highest of success in their own respective league's and regions, and each club functioning largely independently throughout the season. Although Heart and the New York club will share in the resources of Manchester City, it doesn't look like the relationships will be especially hegemonic (with City being dominant and the other clubs being derivative), which is good for all parties.

I'm optimistic about the future of the Melbourne Heart and Manchester City partnership, although the right balance will have to be struck between the clubs.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

id like to know how long they are in this for

I recall hearing somewhere that the Heart Licence runs through to 2020.

Also, the Man City CEO (Ferran Soriano) said: "We are here for the long term. That football is going to grow in Australia is self-evident. It might take one year, two, three or 10. If it takes 10 years we will be here for 10." (http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/manchester-city-buys-melbourne-heart/20140123-319zv.html)

I welcome the change. This club has been down at the bottom since basically the start and I thought even the Storm consortium would be ideal enough considering where we are but this is amazing.

The change in name is acceptable, we keep the Melbourne name and we can always keep the Heart mantra, but the colours have to stay the same as noted many times before. I wouldn't even say its entirely about not wanting to be exactly like Man City. It's more about the context of the colours in the Australian sporting environment. Sky Blue is NSW and will always be NSW. That will never change. Red and white has played a huge part in this club and needs to play a huge part in the future too.

I am glad too see the people from City actually thoroughly involved and active in this take over. It was good to see the CEO in Melbourne when they easily could have sent over a representative. They have done their research and really show a passion for the development of the club, which is exciting to see for once. Looking forward to things getting better.

id like to know how long they are in this for

I recall hearing somewhere that the Heart Licence runs through to 2020.

Also, the Man City CEO (Ferran Soriano) said: "We are here for the long term. That football is going to grow in Australia is self-evident. It might take one year, two, three or 10. If it takes 10 years we will be here for 10." (http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/manchester-city-buys-melbourne-heart/20140123-319zv.html)

thanks mate