Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Even though the above article says JVS is on holidays in the Netherlands, I can't help but wonder if he is doing some scouting as well (IIRC Didulica said he was on 'holidays' in the US, when actually he was scouting and signing Fred, who was then in the MLS). A month ago JVS tweeted: 

am on week @ MCFC. Go there 2 weeks back. #scouting #meet from May in #Netherlands

[Google translated]

https://twitter.com/johnvantschip7/status/453649454722072576

Can easily imagine some Dutch recruitment from JVS.

Let's just hope that he does better than Wielaert this time around.

And thanks for the fucking whale on the logo, you've definitely appeased the fans with this symbol that no on associates with Melbourne at all.

Do you feel the same about the YSIDE City of Melbourne flag? Didn't even know that was the City of Melbourne flag until I was told by someone. Same thing with the whale isn't it?

No, because that's the Melbourne flag. If they're just taking one element (that most Melbournians probably wouldn't understand) from it to create some kind of connection to Melbourne, it's stupid.

He is quite obviously referring to the whole Melbourne flag being used in the design of the logo not just the whale....

That's fine then, but for some reason I can't really see the whole flag being used, even though it is somewhat of an obvious thing to do. Actually interested to see what they come up with if it's the whole flag. Actually I'm interested to see what they come up with either way.

Pls leak it sheik.

Id say they will try and put as much 'Melbourne' in it as they can. Not only in the logo but other things as well, since we will end up with sky blue/white home. So they are probably going to make a real effort in bringing in other 'melbourne' themed things into the club.

If this is the case they should use the old afl clubs logos and current Melbourne Cricket club logos as a sort of template. 

6016050002_4_melbourne-cricket-club-logo    

A logo like that with MCFC would be great imo. Then they migh use the Melbourne flag behind that and there is your red in the logo?  

Why would we want emulate anything the MCC does? :hmm:

What next?

We turn The Melbourne Club into our Pre Game Pub? :droy:

Edited by cadete

And thanks for the fucking whale on the logo, you've definitely appeased the fans with this symbol that no on associates with Melbourne at all.

Do you feel the same about the YSIDE City of Melbourne flag? Didn't even know that was the City of Melbourne flag until I was told by someone. Same thing with the whale isn't it?

No, because that's the Melbourne flag. If they're just taking one element (that most Melbournians probably wouldn't understand) from it to create some kind of connection to Melbourne, it's stupid.

He is quite obviously referring to the whole Melbourne flag being used in the design of the logo not just the whale....

That's fine then, but for some reason I can't really see the whole flag being used, even though it is somewhat of an obvious thing to do. Actually interested to see what they come up with if it's the whole flag. Actually I'm interested to see what they come up with either way.

Pls leak it sheik.

Id say they will try and put as much 'Melbourne' in it as they can. Not only in the logo but other things as well, since we will end up with sky blue/white home. So they are probably going to make a real effort in bringing in other 'melbourne' themed things into the club.

If this is the case they should use the old afl clubs logos and current Melbourne Cricket club logos as a sort of template. 

A logo like that with MCFC would be great imo. Then they migh use the Melbourne flag behind that and there is your red in the logo?  

What next?

Only used the MCC logo as an example. Plenty of AFL clubs have also used that style of logo as well. 

It's a little annoying how some people are saying that because we've only been around for 4 years that it doesn't matter if the colours change, and then cite how clubs in the past have had their name or colour changed. But do you really think a name/colour change back then met no opposition from fans? Do you really think they would have just agreed with the change? Having a short history doesn't mean that no one is passionate about the colours or that it can just be changed whenever because we haven't reached a set number of years as a club. Probably not the best analogy, but it's like if there was a baby belonging to a single mother who gets remarried, and then the step-father suddenly doesn't like it's hair colour or name and wants to change it, but because the baby is 4 years old it's okay.

Not matter what happens, I'm never buying or wearing a blue Heart top. I'm perfectly fine wearing my red and white merch to the games for as long as I live.

I say this and I will stick by it, however I am new here so will not, nor never force the issue, however the "the baby is 4 years old" is a bad analogy. At 4 s/he couldn't care less - shave him/her and they wouldn't have a clue. What you were doing then was talking as the remarried mother. She doesn't like it, not the 4 year old. And that is where the problem lies.

The 4 year old is the club, the mother is the fan (in your analogy). The father (City) is the one who took over. Mother (fan) accepts father (owner) but then complains about hair colour (change of colours). Where does that leave the marriage?

There were uproars when Ardwick changed into City and changed everything - but none of it went well, and all of it failed. Very quickly.

I am not here to start an argument, merely replying to what you said (and you did say "Probably not the best analogy" tbf). MCFC, for better or worse, will change everything about Melbourne. They will become a club to be proud of (more so than now). They will win things. They will storm the league.

I know many hate the thought of playing in Blue, but City will push it, and push it they will. You can rant and rave all you like (and so you should) but it will mostly, I suspect, fall on deaf ears. I could be wrong though, it has happened (once or twice).

Fair Post bluewolf, but just a clarification.  The mother - father thing is not quite right, though, as the fans didn't choose the owner (consent to the marriage).  As you indicate analogies only go so far. 

In regards to ranting & raving I have finished (as have most), just waiting on the outcome now.  My gut feeling is we were heard and have influenced the decision, but not to the level that we desired.  I suspect a full Man City clone was planned at day 1, but the final product will be a little less and "The Keep Melbourne Red and White" campaign would have played a role in that.  Obviously I don't know, its just a hunch I have.

• Like 2

Fair Post bluewolf, but just a clarification.  The mother - father thing is not quite right, though, as the fans didn't choose the owner (consent to the marriage).  As you indicate analogies only go so far. 

In regards to ranting & raving I have finished (as have most), just waiting on the outcome now.  My gut feeling is we were heard and have influenced the decision, but not to the level that we desired.  I suspect a full Man City clone was planned at day 1, but the final product will be a little less and "The Keep Melbourne Red and White" campaign would have played a role in that.  Obviously I don't know, its just a hunch I have.

My feeling, too. They went to Sydney and they said "no", and they eventually ended up on this doorstep with the exact same plans. They were set in stone, but they did listen and they have probably come to a compromise that they are happy with as opposed to what the fans are happy with, Best scenario? Depends who you ask.

Pls leak it sheik.

What next?

Only used the MCC logo as an example. Plenty of AFL clubs have also used that style of logo as well. 

Too Rangers for me...

Well said Shahanga. I know that you and I respectfully disagree on what we will accept (or reject), but I think your analysis is close, if not right on, the mark.

I also hope very much that you and others will stick around for the future, albeit with perhaps less passion.

Well said Shahanga. I know that you and I respectfully disagree on what we will accept (or reject), but I think your analysis is close, if not right on, the mark.

I also hope very much that you and others will stick around for the future, albeit with perhaps less passion.

Out of curiosity, do you two think, with time, will you go back to how you felt pre-takeover? Perhaps in a few years or so?

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, do you two think, with time, will you go back to how you felt pre-takeover? Perhaps in a few years or so?

It'll take me only as long as it takes Heart/City to miss the first sitter, concede the first sloppy goal, or score our first goal, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

Thanks for the sentiment.  When it comes out I will need to sit down with my family and see what we will collectively decide.  Its their club too.  (Obviously will not wear a 100% sky blue jersey though.)

A side issue will be how upset I get about broken promises or misleading statements.  Got to be realistic about how to react to those though- I never threatened to quit as a supporter under Sidwell despite some of the comments that could only be called "bull" from headquarters, like:

• We have received 3 offers but are not for sale  (subtext: we haven't agreed terms yet as none met our mark)
  • We have the resources to keep funding this club (subtext: but no intention of actually doing it to a reasonable level)

Being a fan isn't like being invited on to the board - as a fan you can tolerate a lot more disagreements with board conduct than if you were actually part of it.  Of course there is a limit, but not going speculate on what that might be.  

• Like 1

I didn't choose Heart because of colours or name they were just new and I thought I would give them a go. I didn't choose the colours, name, logo etc. I can't pick the team or recruit player's for the team. I just turn up and show my support for the team. They could change their name and colours each year it doesn't make a difference to me they are still my team. I am not a big fan of the stripes I like the sash better, but at the end of the day they are still my team. If the colours, logo, name etc stay or change I'm happy either way they are still my team.

I didn't choose Heart because of colours or name they were just new and I thought I would give them a go. I didn't choose the colours, name, logo etc. I can't pick the team or recruit player's for the team. I just turn up and show my support for the team. They could change their name and colours each year it doesn't make a difference to me they are still my team. I am not a big fan of the stripes I like the sash better, but at the end of the day they are still my team. If the colours, logo, name etc stay or change I'm happy either way they are still my team.

Except they're now going to be Manchester City's Melbourne franchise. Well, that's how I feel about it anyway. It's not that they're changing the colours that irks me, but that the club is going to be Manchester City Mk. III.

Except they're now going to be Manchester City's Melbourne franchise. Well, that's how I feel about it anyway. It's not that they're changing the colours that irks me, but that the club is going to be Manchester City Mk. III.

We don't know that. The only thing we could possibly look at is NYCFC, where they have made attempts to make it a New York club and not a mini Man City. All the indications we have, in terms of words from the CFG bosses is that the CFG are three clubs that are going to be apart of a group of independently run clubs (with oversight of course) that can and will share resources.  Of course, if we end up having sky blue then there will be some people who no one will ever convince that we arnt a mini man city.

I suppose I just see them as Melbourne. We were a franchise before and we are still a franchise all we are are just consumers that have picked this product to follow and enjoy. We could be mark 3 but until I'm told I have to support City over there I just see this a my team in the A League and Spurs is still my team over there and FC Bendigo is my real team I suppose because I live in the town. Just giving my 2 cents. I'm not telling people what to do each person has to make their own choice on the matter. :)

Edited by tigerou812

Yeah the squad will definitely be at The Etihad in Manchester for the final match of the EPL season.

Behich posted this photo to instagram earlier today...

http://instagram.com/p/nvBx3BvyCg/

Wait... Why is Aziz still with the club??

does this need to be discussed in two different threads?Wrote it before having a read of the other thread and forgot to follow up on it and edit it...

Melbourne (City) will not be a "mini City" or a "City Mark III", it will be a club in it's own right, although to look at NYCFC and what is happening there isn't quite the same, as they have a clean slate to do with what they like. Yes, they've brought the (new) fans in, as City have done of late, but most of what has happened and will happen was decided ages ago.

The fans are what makes the club, and City know this. Without us there can be no club, but without a club there is no us either.

MCFC will likely sweep in do their thing and then have a hands-off approach, whilst keeping an eye out on things. Where City will be involved heavily will be marketing, sponsorships, finding new avenues of finance, etc. 

Nycfc are having trouble attracting fans atm. Only 3000 deposits so far which is far behind most other clubs in this situation. Eg. Atlanta is considered a shit sports market and don't start till 2017 and have over twice as many.

I wonder if not wanting to support what many view as a mini man city has anything to do with it. NY Cosmos have a pretty decent sized fan base for a second div side and I know many were planning on supporting NY2 before they found out who the owners were and their plans.

Edited by Tbitm

Nycfc are having trouble attracting fans atm. Only 3000 deposits so far which is far behind most other clubs in this situation. Eg. Atlanta is considered a shit sports market and don't start till 2017 and have over twice as many.

I wonder if not wanting to support what many view as a mini man city has anything to do with it. NY Cosmos have a pretty decent sized fan base for a second div side and I know many were planning on supporting NY2 before they found out who the owners were and their plans.

It's still early days yet, once they start making player announcements the buzz will come about. 

Melbourne (City) will not be a "mini City" or a "City Mark III", it will be a club in it's own right, although to look at NYCFC and what is happening there isn't quite the same, as they have a clean slate to do with what they like. Yes, they've brought the (new) fans in, as City have done of late, but most of what has happened and will happen was decided ages ago.

The fans are what makes the club, and City know this. Without us there can be no club, but without a club there is no us either.

MCFC will likely sweep in do their thing and then have a hands-off approach, whilst keeping an eye out on things. Where City will be involved heavily will be marketing, sponsorships, finding new avenues of finance, etc. 

The contrast is what puzzles me. NYCFC has had no history at all but fans have been involved from the beginning. MHFC has a distinct history and a loyal core of existing fans who have been ignored whilst CFG is rumoured to be airbrushing away the 'inconsequential' history so it can narcissistically reinvent Heart in the image of itself. If this turns out to be the case then I don't know why they are even bothering with the token 'Melbourne' in the franchise name.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

The only way we will be a "mini man city" is if the fans make it! So please can we stop talking about being a "mini man city"

And you may be right if we weren't wearing Man City's home kit, using their name, loaning players from them, and spending great piles of their money. If that were to occur, we would be "mini man city", no discussion.

• Like 4

The contrast is what puzzles me. NYCFC has had no history at all but fans have been involved from the beginning. MHFC has a distinct history and a loyal core of existing fans who have been ignored whilst CFG is rumoured to be airbrushing away the 'inconsequential' history so it can narcissistically reinvent Heart in the image of itself. If this turns out to be the case then I don't know why they are even bothering with the token 'Melbourne' in the franchise name.

I guess the NYCFC is far much easier. If you have nothing to begin with, the World is your oyster in creating something, but you are limited somewhat in what you can do if something already exists. That said, I can understand the frustration here with the lack of happenings. We know that many have gone to Manchester (and elsewhere) for the final match, but I suspect that once the season is truly over (and don't forget City are flying to Abu Dhabi next week for a rearranged match) things will quickly pick up, and it will be a flurry of activity.

I guess the NYCFC is far much easier. If you have nothing to begin with, the World is your oyster in creating something, but you are limited somewhat in what you can do if something already exists. That said, I can understand the frustration here with the lack of happenings. We know that many have gone to Manchester (and elsewhere) for the final match, but I suspect that once the season is truly over (and don't forget City are flying to Abu Dhabi next week for a rearranged match) things will quickly pick up, and it will be a flurry of activity.

I'm not a marketer or a change management expert, but I would have thought that if CFG wanted to ring in the changes here with the fan's support they should announce early that the changes would happen and then engage with the fans for input into names, badge and colours so that fans had some ownership and investment in the process. That is the path they have taken with NYCFC whereas apart from one meeting in nearly 6 months we have been ignored.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I think some of letter from Soriano (which BTW is the only communication from Man City I can think of that's spoken directly to the members and supporters) is pretty relevant now:

I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/A-Letter-from-the-CEO-of-Manchester-City-FC/84083

Another very pertinent statement from Soriano in a newspaper article stated:

So we will listen, understand everything in detail, then we will decide very fast and we will execute very fast any changes need to be made. This is the lesson we have learned [from Manchester City and New York City].

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/exclusive-english-premier-league-giants-manchester-city-are-the-new-owners-of-melbourne-heart/story-fni2fopz-1226808309021

Of course, these statements were surrounded and completely saturated by language like: "The first thing we intend to do is listen, learn and better understand every aspect of the Club", "Naturally, this process will also include hearing from fans, members and partners that have supported this Club during its short history. We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter" and "If you look at where Manchester was and is today, it's pretty impressive. But the improvement has been done on the basis of respect for the history, the tradition, and we will do the same thing".

So seemingly everything they say isn't wholly true.

But still, if they live up at all to past statements, I expect a few announcements from the club next week when JVS and other senior Heart staff are back in Australia. And on player announcements, I'd guess that the first wave of new recruits will be announced jointly (so a few signings at once, maybe including Mooy, which would suggest Thursday or Friday), then the remaining signings might be spread out over an extended period. I'd be gobsmacked if in 7 days time it's Friday night again and we haven't heard a thing from the club.

Edited by Murfy1

Slightly off topic, but pertinent nevertheless.

In 1885 Hyde Football Club was formed, and then after WWI they reformed (I forget the specific of why) and became Hyde United. The colour red was predominant throughout the club: kits, stadium, etc.

In 2010 Manchester City knocked on their door asking if the reserves could play there. After some negotiating, they said "yes" and City put down a new pitch, repainted everything blue, Hyde permanently dropped the name 'United' (now known as 'Hyde FC'), and changed their historic crest from red to blue, and as a thank-you wore white and blue during the 2010-11 season.

Now I know this isn't exactly the same, but this happened because City came knocking.

• Like 1

Yeah the squad will definitely be at The Etihad in Manchester for the final match of the EPL season.

Behich posted this photo to instagram earlier today...

http://instagram.com/p/nvBx3BvyCg/

Wait... Why is Aziz still with the club??

does this need to be discussed in two different threads?Wrote it before having a read of the other thread and forgot to follow up on it and edit it...

You are forgiven so don't do it again ;)

It also happened because Hyde wanted to do it. Change is more likely to be successful if it comes from within rather than imposed from outside.

Not to mention the fact that Hyde were perilously close to folding and had they knocked City back would likely not exist today. 

It would really be good if Man City came out soon and announced something that was largely or wholly to serve Melbourne Heart's interests (not something ambiguous that might also help Man City a lot). 2 things I can think of are:

- Keeping the home jersey Red and White. Even if they change the name, the badge, the shorts and the socks of the home kit, they'd get a lot of respect if the jersey colours were kept red and white. It would fully serve Heart's interests, and it wouldn't serve Man City's marketing interests, and it would show that City are serious about having clubs with distinctive identities (which would help grow our club, and could suit Man City's long term interests).

- Securing a big international marquee. I'm not talking about buying Messi. But spending a lot of money to get a Lampard, or a quality international marquee in their mid to late 20s.

I believe Man City need to undertake some significant action (no more words) to put to rest a lot of cynicism and doubts that exist towards the new ownership. They need to do something to show good faith. In doing so, they might well earn a lot of respect and good faith in turn from supporters. 

Slightly off topic, but pertinent nevertheless.

In 1885 Hyde Football Club was formed, and then after WWI they reformed (I forget the specific of why) and became Hyde United. The colour red was predominant throughout the club: kits, stadium, etc.

In 2010 Manchester City knocked on their door asking if the reserves could play there. After some negotiating, they said "yes" and City put down a new pitch, repainted everything blue, Hyde permanently dropped the name 'United' (now known as 'Hyde FC'), and changed their historic crest from red to blue, and as a thank-you wore white and blue during the 2010-11 season.

Now I know this isn't exactly the same, but this happened because City came knocking.

Hyde are now playing in red again.

They did have that one season in predominately white but that was it.  Despite Hyde reverting to their original colours Man City continued their association.  

I can understand with the short gap between our season ending and the last week of EPL, there hasn't been any news. Especially with Man City on the verge of taking it out.

I imagine this will be the week though we finally hear something... surely...

I certainly would like some solid news from the club rather than waffle. However regarding the marquee that may be more difficult as I presume some of the candidates  will be concentrating on the WC - let's face it, if they are good and they are under 30 they are likely to be in the expanded squad and perhaps they consider that if they do well they may be able to extract some better offers. If they are not in WC squad then they may be over 30 or better than A-League standard but not at the EPL/Liga/Serie/Bundesliga level (which may still be OK).

Theoretically, the board (or whomever controls Heart's purse string) should be able to make a decision independent of what is happening in the EPL but perhaps they are all waiting on that final match.