Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

The Melbourne Heart FB page has only posted 2 times in the last 8-10 days, whilst the twitter page has also been very quiet. Must mean big changes are just around the corner. I think we will be looking towards mid to late next week once the hype after the GF has died down a little. 

I just can't comprehend how the owners can say something like "We don't want a situation like Cardiff", but then proceed to change our home colours to sky blue and then be likely to change our away strip to the current home strip thus creating an identical situation (that's without the inevitable name change). It actually doesn't make sense. I don't understand how they can say things such as "This club won't be a mini Man City, but a club for Melbourne people" but then make these changes. The city group are very aware of what they have said and they will not want to look stupid by having their potentially misleading quotes splashed across the newspapers in England who have been waiting for the slightest slip up from them.

That's the only giving me a small faint of hope. But I think it is likely that we will see a sky blue with a red and white stripe down the side or a sash. Then our current home kit as our away kit. 

• Like 6

The Melbourne Heart FB page has only posted 2 times in the last 8-10 days, whilst the twitter page has also been very quiet. Must mean big changes are just around the corner. I think we will be looking towards mid to late next week once the hype after the GF has died down a little. 

I just can't comprehend how the owners can say something like "We don't want a situation like Cardiff", but then proceed to change our home colours to sky blue and then be likely to change our away strip to the current home strip thus creating an identical situation (that's without the inevitable name change). It actually doesn't make sense. I don't understand how they can say things such as "This club won't be a mini Man City, but a club for Melbourne people" but then make these changes. The city group are very aware of what they have said and they will not want to look stupid by having their potentially misleading quotes splashed across the newspapers in England who have been waiting for the slightest slip up from them.

That's the only giving me a small faint of hope. But I think it is likely that we will see a sky blue with a red and white stripe down the side or a sash. Then our current home kit as our away kit. 

Here is how to comprehend it. They go to the fans and say we want to negotiate a compromise, before making decisions (which they have said in as many words) and then we go from there. If after that process we end up with Sky Blue/White home Red/White away then its not a Cardiff situation. 

I think the 2 most likely outcomes for the shirt is:

#1 Man City baby blue for home and Melbourne Heart Red and White Stripes away

or

#2 Melbourne Heart Red and White Stripe for home and Man City baby blue for away

I thnk the owners may push for #1 and say they accept the Red and White, that's why we get that for away when they would have chosen 'x'. The only thing that may see #2 occur is they are wary of the supporter backlash in either staying away or having more supporters in Red and White than baby blue.

I thnk there is no chance of a Red/White/Blue shirt, in that scenario everyone loses.

I get the feeling that even if the cfg bend over backwards to involve fans in the changes and give us great sth packages amongst other things to make previous and potential fans to feel more 'included'. But say we want the colours to be sky blue and white, a few will still accuse it of being not inclusive nor consultative...

How would that be in anyway consultative?

Its negotiating to a compromise. Being consultative doesnt mean that one side gets everything they want. I think its perfectly legitimate for them to argue look we will be more inclusive to fans, to make them feel more involved. Such as having more say about how the club is run or include other elements of 'Melbourne' to make it a 'Melbourne' club. But then say to create this synergy between the three clubs we would like the home colours to be sky blue. 

"Consultation" is just an over-used buzzword. Decision-makers can undertake consultation with parties likely to be affected by a proposed decision and still go ahead with the original proposed decision in an unaltered form. What consultation does is enable the decision-makers to assess the potential upsides and downsides to the proposed decision. It's a listening process, that's all. If the downsides look minimal then they'll go ahead regardless.

• Like 1

I agree jw, what is missing at the moment is the dialogue between the franchise and the fans, and that will feel like any decisions have been imposed. At the end of the day it is their franchise not ours, the owners are the members, not the fans, but having some dialogue throughout the process will feel more inclusive and be likely to keep our support

Edited by belaguttman

Here is how to comprehend it. They go to the fans and say we want to negotiate a compromise, before making decisions (which they have said in as many words) and then we go from there. If after that process we end up with Sky Blue/White home Red/White away then its not a Cardiff situation. 

Well that's obviously not happening. Even though various news reports have said they will survey current and potential new supporters, I've seen no evidence that this has happened. Now I can't remember if the owners said this would happen or it was just some unfounded media speculation. Anyway, I haven't been asked for an opinion, nor have I seen any evidence that anyone else has either.

That doesn't mean they haven't sought to understand the feelings of supporters or that they wont respect those feelings and provide some compromise. I think they will. But I think it's clear that they intend for sky blue to be a club colour in some form and they won't be surveying supporters about that because they know what the response will be.

• Like 1

If the franchise were able to come out and say we asked the fans about colours and most said sky blue was OK for the home strip (and it was clear that this data was legitimate), I would just "suck it up" and not have a tantrum (well maybe a little one!), but I'd accept i was in a minority and couldn't expect my own way.

• Like 2

It's disappointing that we only find out that the whole franchise staff have gone to Manchester through Davor Davutovic and not directly from the franchise

The Melbourne Heart FB page has only posted 2 times in the last 8-10 days, whilst the twitter page has also been very quiet. 

I agree jw, what is missing at the moment is the dialogue between the franchise and the fans

I think we've become used to a certain level of engagement which doesn't seem to exist at the moment. Whether through social media, annual fan forums, the fan rep group, or direct contact with club officials, I've always felt fans could get an opinion across and that it will be listened to, whether it's accepted or not. In that way, supporters have until now felt part of the process in the development of the club's identity and culture. The evolution of the club song being one example. The fan designed third kit being another.

There's areas that I think supporters have no right to expect their opinions to be considered. I've always thought football decisions need to be made by the people employed and paid to make those decisions, and who live and die by the results.

But when it comes to issues to do with club identity, I think t's great when clubs engage with supporters and make them feel part of the process. This obviously hasn't happened and the owners are making decisions from above, which people will need to decide to accept or not. I still have hope that we're being listened to, even though we haven't been invited to give an opinion.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Well that's obviously not happening. Even though various news reports have said they will survey current and potential new supporters, I've seen no evidence that this has happened. Now I can't remember if the owners said this would happen or it was just some unfounded media speculation. Anyway, I haven't been asked for an opinion, nor have I seen any evidence that anyone else has either.

That doesn't mean they haven't sought to understand the feelings of supporters or that they wont respect those feelings and provide some compromise. I think they will. But I think it's clear that they intend for sky blue to be a club colour in some form and they won't be surveying supporters about that because they know what the response will be.

Sash, my recollections, for what they are worth, are that the word "consultation" has never been mentioned by the new owners. The phrase that sticks in my mind is "listen and learn", but just exactly who was to be listened to has never been spelled out.

Anything other than "listen and learn" is media embellishment.

Your final paragraph does, IMO, represent precisely what the situation is.

[Oh, and I would like to make it clear that my earlier post about "consultation" being an over-used buzzword was a comment about decision-makers in general (e.g. various levels of government) rather than about our new owners specifically.]

Edited by jw1739

It's disappointing that we only find out that the whole franchise staff have gone to Manchester through Davor Davutovic and not directly from the franchise

The Melbourne Heart FB page has only posted 2 times in the last 8-10 days, whilst the twitter page has also been very quiet. 

Yes, that is disappointing. And only in his "Stud Up" blog - not reported anywhere else to my knowledge. However, I'm not sure that we can blame the Manchester end for this - there is a local administration in place, and, unless they are under orders not to say anything, surely at the very least some information could have been communicated?

I'm fairly sure that the reason that the FB and twitter are dead is because they're waiting for the GF to pass for them to be "relaunched" - possibly in conjunction with the renaming of the club, it would make sense - and until that happens they are sitting in abeyance. City regularly wins awards for fan engagement and social media, and has the most active FB/twitter in the PL. NYCFC also has a very active twitter account with frequent.FB updates, for a club with no players and playing no games. I can't see them not extending that to the Heart. City employs people for the sole purpose of running their social media - it's quite possible that they're currently looking to recruit someone to do the same.

"City claimed an additional £22.45m income, in their latest annual financial results, by stating they were selling their intellectual property to “related parties”, including City’s American and Australian franchises and the club’s own women’s team."

Selling their intellectual property...ugh.

From - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/blow-for-manchester-city-as-uefa-finds-club-have-broken-financial-fair-play-rules-9299476.html

And, that comes from the British press, who will do anything to damage City's reputation. At no point in the financial report was it explained what the intellectual properties were, or who they were sold to. Considering that in the last 12 months City have signed sponsorship deals for things like City-branded credit cards in Singapore and energy drinks in Indonesia with the club badge on, it's not inconceivable that that relates to those sponsorships. The press, however, jumped straight on the "how can we make this sound as disagreeable and against-how-football-should-be as possible.

"City claimed an additional £22.45m income, in their latest annual financial results, by stating they were selling their intellectual property to “related parties”, including City’s American and Australian franchises and the club’s own women’s team."

Selling their intellectual property...ugh.

From - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/blow-for-manchester-city-as-uefa-finds-club-have-broken-financial-fair-play-rules-9299476.html

Thanks for that, but that article seems to suggested this wasn't accepted?

If so it might remove some of the imperative for sky blue? 

And, that comes from the British press, who will do anything to damage City's reputation. At no point in the financial report was it explained what the intellectual properties were, or who they were sold to. Considering that in the last 12 months City have signed sponsorship deals for things like City-branded credit cards in Singapore and energy drinks in Indonesia with the club badge on, it's not inconceivable that that relates to those sponsorships. The press, however, jumped straight on the "how can we make this sound as disagreeable and against-how-football-should-be as possible.

Fair call, thanks for the perspective :)

Old news, delayed until the end of next season as the World Cup would have compromised the player selection.

Sounds fair. However, and whilst I can understand that a fixture is being planned, City should be doing what Chelsea have are doing: all pre-season friendlies have been cancelled (they were supposed to be going to the States). This way, all players (WC and non-WC players) are given as much rest as possible before next season starts.

It is very curious though how the club has suddenly fallen silent, social media wise. If I was to guess, I would suggest that City are making sweeping changes across the whole spectrum of the club in regards to who stays/leaves, what their roles are, and how the club is to be ran from top to bottom. This happens a lot in big business takeovers, only we don't notice because no one is fanatical about a regular company. City tend to take their time with these things, which is frustrating I know, but is usually worth it in the end.

Perhaps they are, but apart from one meeting with the FRG we have heard nothing directly from the franchise owners since Xmas. All we are left with is media speculation.

You spelled "bollocks" incorrectly. However, there's a long time to go until October, so the next couple of months will be rumour and speculation, although the WC isn't going to help. Those in Melbourne need to keep their eyes and ears peeled, not just what is said, but what isn't.

At least everyone here now understands why I said that CFG was annoyingly secretive when I started posting -_-

So with the team out of the way and CFG doing their assessments of the club I guess we might get close to actually getting to know something.

I´ll just add that Soriano will be in New York where he and the NYCFC football Director (Reyna) and Chief Business Officer (Pernetti) will attend the NYCFC meet&greet at a local sports bar.. This kind of stuff is what Melbourne is missing right now

Perhaps they are, but apart from one meeting with the FRG we have heard nothing directly from the franchise owners since Xmas. All we are left with is media speculation.

You spelled "bollocks" incorrectly. However, there's a long time to go until October, so the next couple of months will be rumour and speculation, although the WC isn't going to help. Those in Melbourne need to keep their eyes and ears peeled, not just what is said, but what isn't.

Remember we have an FFA Cup game in early August so you would think most things should be sorted by then.

Remember we have an FFA Cup game in early August so you would think most things should be sorted by then.

You would hope, yes. Soriano in NY won't take that long - remember they have just (officially, even though every man and his dog knew) that they will be playing at the Yankees Stadium for the foreseeable future.

I suspect someone of importance will turn up at Melbourne within the next month.

Simon Pearce was in Melbourne recently.. if you want a V.I.P that is, New York is Sorianos baby since 2005 when he was with Barcelona.

Got a feeling that it will be Pearce and Marwood handling Melbourne right now, with Glicks minions arriving like a hangover afterwards.

I´ll just add that Soriano will be in New York where he and the NYCFC football Director (Reyna) and Chief Business Officer (Pernetti) will attend the NYCFC meet&greet at a local sports bar.. This kind of stuff is what Melbourne is missing right now

NYCFC fans seem to be getting a lot more love and attention than us. I feel like a spurned lover!

NYCFC fans seem to be getting a lot more love and attention than us. I feel like a spurned lover!

LOL - Well NYC is the biggest city in the world so dont feel too bad.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Patience, young grasshopper. It'll all begin in good time.

LOL - Well NYC is the biggest city in the world so dont feel too bad.

But we're the sporting capital of 'Straya!

Crystal Palace banner prior to game against ManC last weekend read:

"YOU GOT THE MONEY, WE GOT THE SOUL"

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Controversial-broadcaster-slams-Crystal-Palace/story-21029152-detail/story.html

So next season before our first match against the Tards we could roll out one that read:

"WE GOT THE MONEY & WE LOST OUR HEART" ;)

• Like 1