Melbourne Football

We signed Aiden O'Neill

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

I have heard that but I have also heard that nothing has been accepted and city have a contract offer on the table

As per here: https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-clinging-on-to-the-possibility-of-keeping-aiden-oneill-despite-his-european-dream/news-story/531453cb1d6d41023b5b67f566289dd6

Surely we can find a way to keep him either as a marquee or a designated player?

Edited by jw1739

• 3 weeks later...

I think what has happened with Denis Genreau is a useful indicator of what O'Neill faces if he goes to Europe. Denis joined Toulouse when they were in Ligue 2, and got plenty of match time as Toulouse marched to promotion to Ligue 1 for the 2022-23 season. I think he may have been injured for quite a long period, but he's struggled for minutes this season notwithstanding that. Denis is 23, and Aiden a year older, and I'm assuming Denis also has command of the French language to add to his football skillset. So it's a tough decision for a player such as Aiden to make IMO - sacrifice an almost-guaranteed place in the starting line-up for City, and Asian Champions League football, in the hope that you can get significant minutes in Europe and not wither away on the bench.

In this context, if I may I'd like to get@Jeremy Martins's opinion on how the French leagues stack up against the English leagues.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think what has happened with Denis Genreau is a useful indicator of what O'Neill faces if he goes to Europe. Denis joined Toulouse when they were in Ligue 2, and got plenty of match time as Toulouse marched to promotion to Ligue 1 for the 2022-23 season. I think he may have been injured for quite a long period, but he's struggled for minutes this season notwithstanding that. Denis is 23, and Aiden a year older, and I'm assuming Denis also has command of the French language to add to his football skillset. So it's a tough decision for a player such as Aiden to make IMO - sacrifice an almost-guaranteed place in the starting line-up for City, and Asian Champions League football, in the hope that you can get significant minutes in Europe and not wither away on the bench.

In this context, if I may I'd like to get@Jeremy Martins's opinion on how the French leagues stack up against the English leagues.

With due respect though, Aidan is a loooooong way in front of Denis both as a player, and on the performances in the A League.

Denis had a great season with Bulls, but not to the level that Aidan is playing at this season with us. 

I genuinely think given the opportunity, O'Neill can be a regular starter in any league in the world. Not sure i'd say that about too many other Aus players

• Like 6

On 13/04/2023 at 11:30 AM, jw1739 said:

I think what has happened with Denis Genreau is a useful indicator of what O'Neill faces if he goes to Europe.

Not sure you can compare them at all? Denis has played most if not all of his career in Australia before France vs Aiden who's played in the EPL and 30+ matches in league one at 20 years old so I think he knows what it takes 

On 13/4/2023 at 3:30 AM, jw1739 said:

Hi, in my opinion, I find The English Premier League a lot better than the French Ligue 1. The football practiced is way more elegant than in France. Referees are letting the game play for most of the times while in France a very little contact is enough to stop the play and give a foul. That leads to unsportsmanlike behaviours. 
The EPL is also the richest league in the world due to phenomenal sums of money given to each club with tv rights. That helps small clubs in England to be as rich as the biggest ones in France. 
For the personal story, until last month, I was working at The Etihad Stadium, so I was lucky enough to see MCFC play. Such a wonderful football! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Good move for him. A club with quite a history.

Bloody good move. Standard Liege was the first Belgian club that I ever heard of - just refreshed the details of their golden years and now I know why -  the 1950s and 1960s.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bloody good move. Standard Liege was the first Belgian club that I ever heard of - just refreshed the details of their golden years and now I know why -  the 1950s and 1960s.

There's going to be a few Aussie there next season. 2 City boys and Keegan Jelacic off to Genk.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...