Melbourne Football

We signed Aiden O'Neill

kingofhearts

You left off an ‘L’ on O’Neill.

Good signing. Probably one we can sell after a few seasons provided he reaches his potential. I see him maybe as a Championship-level player long-term, potentially pushing for a spot in a PL team if all goes well. Has all the tools but needs to start bossing games, hope he does that for us.

Good luck to him. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

You left off an ‘L’ on O’Neill.

Good signing. Probably one we can sell after a few seasons provided he reaches his potential. I see him maybe as a Championship-level player long-term, potentially pushing for a spot in a PL team if all goes well. Has all the tools but needs to start bossing games, hope he does that for us.

Good luck to him. 

What is his natural playing role? Attacking midfield? 

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

What is his natural playing role? Attacking midfield? 

I see him as an 8, pretty much a box to box type. I think I’ve seen him play just about all central roles, even defence at the Mariners, but obviously his best would be as an 8. His output isn’t suggestive of a very creative type, but it’s always a question of role in a system versus ability. If Kisnorbo doesn’t vary Mombaerts’ system then we see him in Berenguer’s spot.  

Good pickup, will be a good addition to the midfield, and allow Luna to push higher up the park. Now bring in an out and out Visa winger and a striker who can make an impact off the bench and we're looking the goods. Brillante, O'Neill, Luna, Metcalfe and Griff is plenty of quality and competition in the middle of the park.

We really have an inability to change games off the bench I wouldn't be disappointed to use a cheap Visa spot on a striker who can cover Jamie when injured/international duty and come off the bench when we're chasing a game and allow us to play 2 up front instead of re-signing Florin. 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Cheeky. 

I just happened to see the OP and jumped in with the correct the spelling - probably you were typing at the same time!

Shows how eager we all are for news!

I note that we're commencing training on 5th October, but there's no news from "whoever is running the League" on the new season yet.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just happened to see the OP and jumped in with the correct the spelling - probably you were typing at the same time!

Shows how eager we all are for news!

I note that we're commencing training on 5th October, but there's no news from "whoever is running the League" on the new season yet.

League start I can't see happening before January. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

FMD our record with injuries must be amongst the worst in the league - if not the worst.

Do we overtrain our players? 

Just this season 

atkinson hamstring 

Nabbout hamstring 

Griffiths calf 

O’Neill back 

O’Neill didn’t have any injuries last season 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FMD our record with injuries must be amongst the worst in the league - if not the worst.

Do we overtrain our players? 

That’s one possible way, but I’d suggest a training imbalance more likely. The optimum amount of strength work will reduce injury risk, so not enough (think lazy Mate Dug or Arzani) will raise the injury risk.

With everything we have now, I’d have thought we’d be least likely to have injuries. Very Concerning.

Also bad news for O’Neill, pretty hard to make his Mark at a new club when he can’t play.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I like the look of O’Neill. I reckon his last couple of games were outstanding. I’m expecting a big season from him next year.

Im a bit surprised he couldn’t make the Olympics squad, but hopefully that will only serve to fire him up.

He is a gun. Simples.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, neio said:

This is the one guy that I think will go to Troyes at end of season with PK.

I think he has always been underrated by our fans, but he is criminally underated by the league. He is the best #6 in the comp, and it's not really close 

Not quite under the radar with the football experts here on this forum 🧐😉

• Haha 2

Im not sure i think he's underrated by our fans, albeit perhaps a few people were a bit slow on the uptake with how important he is to us.

He's 100% the most underrated player in the league from an external viewpoint though, gets nowhere near the fanfare and kudos he deserves. I'd be doing everything possible to resign him for next season personally.

• Like 2

just looked up his wiki and didnt realise he is 24. thought he was younger.

the guy's been immense for us.  would love for him to stay one or two more seasons before going overseas; we have the contacts so there are plenty of options to go abroad at the right time and extra time here certainly would help a push for a Socceroos role.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

just looked up his wiki and didnt realise he is 24. thought he was younger.

the guy's been immense for us.  would love for him to stay one or two more seasons before going overseas; we have the contacts so there are plenty of options to go abroad at the right time and extra time here certainly would help a push for a Socceroos role.

He's already been overseas. He came to us from Burnley.

• 2 months later...