Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

51 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I believe (and this is very second hand), that he stepped away from football to focus on his dedication to faith - happy to be corrected on this.

Thanks!

People need to do what makes them happy, if this is what he has chosen, then (despite my dislike of religion) I wish him well. Essentially, I just need closure as I thought he was an outstanding prospect and I was looking forward to seeing him break into the team.

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I believe (and this is very second hand), that he stepped away from football to focus on his dedication to faith - happy to be corrected on this.

I checked with a member of staff at the club midway last season, and at that stage he thought Idrus was still with us. And it is somewhat odd that there's not a hint of his departure anywhere that I can Google. Nevertheless I think I'll delete him on the next iteration of the list. I haven't seen his name mentioned at all in the NPL team lists that I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2021 at 3:51 PM, jw1739 said:

The list of players on the club web-site is so out-of-date it's laughable. If the club wants people to get interested they have to do better than this.

Yep agree. It’s a small thing but the biggest clubs around the world keep this stuff updated as do most other A-League clubs. It reflects poorly. Just delete the player profiles of those who have left the club. Our Y-League roster is even worse, it hasn’t been touched in about two years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Yep agree. It’s a small thing but the biggest clubs around the world keep this stuff updated as do most other A-League clubs. It reflects poorly. Just delete the player profiles of those who have left the club. Our Y-League roster is even worse, it hasn’t been touched in about two years. 

Even some of the links on the club's front page don't even work. Whoever is doing this job isn't.

I just don't understand this sort of sloppiness.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Even some of the links on the club's front page don't even work. Whoever is doing this job isn't.

I just don't understand this sort of sloppiness.

If i can offer some sort of defence, the clubs media and marketing teams have been run off their feet since covid, as theyve had to contantly rewrite and redraft things like match day promos around the fixturing issues, as well as triple check each and every one of those things to make sure everyone is on the same page.

What previously might have been a double check the fixture and publish thing is now, trawl through emails, get staff and to verify and perhaps even run back past APL to make sure the details are solid.

Hard with a constantly fluid setting to be doing much other than the most urgent task i guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

If i can offer some sort of defence, the clubs media and marketing teams have been run off their feet since covid, as theyve had to contantly rewrite and redraft things like match day promos around the fixturing issues, as well as triple check each and every one of those things to make sure everyone is on the same page.

What previously might have been a double check the fixture and publish thing is now, trawl through emails, get staff and to verify and perhaps even run back past APL to make sure the details are solid.

Hard with a constantly fluid setting to be doing much other than the most urgent task i guess.

I mean it would take like 15 minutes to get those rosters up to date. Tilio and Gomulka aren’t even on there.

There isn’t really an excuse. But it’s a small thing so no point getting into a big discussion. It just bugs me. 

Having said that we might be in the process of building a new independent website so that might be why. But again, the women’s team is up to date so…

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Nope just slack.

Their main product is the players. 

Surely they can have a current list with photos and generic bios, of all the squads.

If they can't be fucked with their teams then why should a fan or probably more importantly a potential fan.

Absolutely. And yes, the women's team and the youth team - fine, fine, fine to have all that and promote it, but the main product is the A-League team. Not sexism at all, that's the flagship product and that's the reality.

I note that my membership fees are being deducted every month, and the very least I expect for that is timely and up-to-date information on the club all the time, not just once in a while. It's not rocket science. We've just moved to a new HQ and if nothing else that is good fodder for the fans - photographs, comments from players and staff, etc. etc.

On 17/09/2021 at 1:23 PM, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. And yes, the women's team and the youth team - fine, fine, fine to have all that and promote it, but the main product is the A-League team. Not sexism at all, that's the flagship product and that's the reality.

I note that my membership fees are being deducted every month, and the very least I expect for that is timely and up-to-date information on the club all the time, not just once in a while. It's not rocket science. We've just moved to a new HQ and if nothing else that is good fodder for the fans - photographs, comments from players and staff, etc. etc.

The sexism comment was made tongue in cheek. But I agree. A bit more content would be nice. I know a lot of stuff is posted to the socials but I’m not really on those and some galleries of photos from training would be good. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Left back Jordan Bos has signed an extended contract. I suspect we'll begin to see him offering cover in that position this season.

Smart Decision to use that Bos as Jamo left back backup, hopefully by next season or the season after Bos will be ready to play as the starting left back

On 30/09/2021 at 10:00 PM, Mr MO said:

We’ve replaced Noone, Luna and Benny. I can’t help to think that the club sees the list being complete based on last season coverage.

I think they are looking for one more player what position that is I would not have a clue obviously lol

• 2 weeks later...

So if I read this correctly at the end of next season the following players are out contract: Matt Sutton (G); defenders Rostyn Griffiths and Nathaniel Atkinson; midfielders Florin Berenguer, Connor Metcalfe and Anthony Lesiotis; forwards Stefan Colavsky and R Borges Rodrigues. If Metcalfe departs, and I do expect him to depart for overseas, then the mid-field will look rather thin. For that matter any suspension or injury will make it thin.