Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

If you want some hope for the future going into the close season, we had a 15 year old debut as a sub two thirds of the way through our weekend NPL2 tie. We were 2-0 down at the time. We won 3-2. Young lad scored a hatrick. The future looks good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, moops said:

Caputo has been playing in that U18 tournament in Portugal, hopefully he gets a few more minutes in the next season.

He scored last night against Norway in a 2-1 win. Just remember, by my notes he's out of contract at the end of this season.

In context, the remaining scholarship players are becoming more important to next season by the day.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

He scored last night against Norway in a 2-1 win. Just remember, by my notes he's out of contract at the end of this season.

In context, the remaining scholarship players are becoming more important to next season by the day.

The fact they haven't mentioned him in the departures  from last week,  makes me think we are in the process of signing a new contract...

So, at this stage, 9th August 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
Jamie YOUNG
1 year from 1 Jul 2023 (Club 4 Jul 2023)

James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 3 years from 1 Jul 2021. (Club 21 Apr 2021)
Patrick BEACH  End 2025/26 (Club 23 Jun 2023)

Defenders.
Curtis GOOD  until 30/6/24 Contract extension (Club 11 Jan 2021)
Scott GALLOWAY until end 2024/25 Contract extension (Club 2 Oct 2021)
Nuno REIS (V) 3 years (Club 17 Jan 2021)
Callum TALBOT 3 years (Club 24 May 2022)
Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V) End 2024/25 (Club 10 Jul 2023)
Aziz BEHICH End 2024/25 (Club 6 Aug 2023)
Jordon HALL End 2023/24 (Club 9 Aug 2023)

Midfielders.
Luke ORESTI (S) 2 years from 1 Jul 2022 (Club 4 Jan 2022)
Tolgay ARSLAN (V) 2 years (Club 15 Jul 2023)
Emin DURAKOVIC (S) End 2025/6 (Club 22 Jun 2023)
Arion SULEMANI (S) End 2025/26 (Club 22 Jun 2023)
Zane SCHREIBER End 2025/26 (Club 23 Jun 2023)
Allesandro LOPANE End 2024/25 (I year extension option) (Club 23 Jun 2023)
Steven UGARKOVIC End 2024/25 (I year extension option) (Club 30 June 2023)
Terry ANTONIS End 2023/24 (Club 6 Jul 2023)
Max CAPUTO End 2025/26 (Club 13 Jul 2023)

Forwards.
Jamie MacLAREN End 2023-24 2-year extension (Club 23 Sep 2021)
Andrew NABBOUT 3 years (Club 10 Jun 2021)
Mathew LECKIE 3 years (Club 5
June 2021)
Marin JAKOLIS 1 year (L) (Club 2 Aug 2023)

Edited by jw1739
Jakolis and Behich announcements

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Anyone else feeling super underwhelmed about the upcoming season, but simultaneously feeling as though we are all going to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm so fuxking baked. Ignore me lol

Sounds like you're getting into that "acl POT" talk...😅

• 1 month later...

Do we reckon that Aziz rounds out our signings or are there more to come? And if so, where does everyone feel like we still need to strengthen. If Curtis Good does leave, we'll likely need another CB. I remember a while ago us and Sydney were linked to Sainsbury, but haven't heard a peep out of that in a while.

34 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Do we reckon that Aziz rounds out our signings or are there more to come? And if so, where does everyone feel like we still need to strengthen. If Curtis Good does leave, we'll likely need another CB. I remember a while ago us and Sydney were linked to Sainsbury, but haven't heard a peep out of that in a while.

I’d say we will sign 2 more players that being a Berisha replacement and maybe a back up CB. Still have 2 visa spots vacant 

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We need a CF.

That's a difficult one, isn't it. That would basically mean one of Jmac and another would be on the bench, and if we're going to sign a quality CF, especially an import, that is going to produce a tricky man-management situation.

You see this with the bloated squads some EPL clubs have. They sign so many players that to try and keep them happy they rotate the match-day squad, and end up with no-one happy at all. Results then suffer and the fans hate it as well.

Realistically I see us only bringing in 2 more players, an attacking midfielder to replace Berisha and another centre back to replace Lam, I have seen a lot of the fanbase mistake Souprayen to be that but he is definitely a versatile depth option for Behich & Good. With the amount of football which will be played with us being in the ACL, I think Souprayen will turn out to be an excellent signing for what he will be brought in to do.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Realistically I see us only bringing in 2 more players, an attacking midfielder to replace Berisha and another centre back to replace Lam, I have seen a lot of the fanbase mistake Souprayen to be that but he is definitely a versatile depth option for Behich & Good. With the amount of football which will be played with us being in the ACL, I think Souprayen will turn out to be an excellent signing for what he will be brought in to do.

Do you see Antonis as the Australian version of Berenguer? Also Jakolis apparently can play in midfield too but he's likely to challenge for Nabbout's position up front. Good points raised on Souprayen, however I don't feel comfortable having Nuno as a starter next to Good...

48 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Do you see Antonis as the Australian version of Berenguer? Also Jakolis apparently can play in midfield too but he's likely to challenge for Nabbout's position up front. Good points raised on Souprayen, however I don't feel comfortable having Nuno as a starter next to Good...

Antonis is a stop-gap for one season, as is Jamie Young.
IMO Jakolis is a starter on the left wing. He might want to stay on if is there's a sniff of the Socceroos. Leckie must start ahead of Nabbout who will likely be on the bench, and JMac is going to start in the centre unless we're going to sign someone I don't think we will. Central defence surely must be Souprayen and Curtis Good, with a big question mark against Nuno, because IMO it doesn't make sense to have  a visa player on the bench. Talbot as right wing-back and Aziz on the left, Galloway the substitute.

The central defence situation must be sorted by the end of next season, because all of the options are in the "older" bracket.

All three of JMac, Lecks and Andrew Nabbout have contracts that will expire at the end of next season, so another big challenge there.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it doesn't make sense to have  a visa player on the bench

I guess if there is not any aussie options available then what is wrong with using a visa slot for depth? yes he takes up a visa slot but he also is a 2 in 1 kind of signing which is good for cap space

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Antonis is a low risk chance, we needed midfield depth so he covers that, also apparently his wage is pretty small so won't take up too much cap space, in terms of him being the 'Aussie Berenguer' I don't see him being as good but he can play any position in midfield which will be very useful imo 

13 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I guess if there is not any aussie options available then what is wrong with using a visa slot for depth? yes he takes up a visa slot but he also is a 2 in 1 kind of signing which is good for cap space.

Unless he's a marquee or designated player then a visa player has to be inside the cap just like a local player, and in the case of Nuno I gather that he is one a pretty good salary.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unless he's a marquee or designated player then a visa player has to be inside the cap just like a local player

Yea I know visa players are in the cap, I was more saying I would rather take up a visa player slot with someone who can play 2 positions than signing 2 aussie players for those positions cause it won't take up as much of the cap.

We will also have a bit more cap space as well due to Good & now Galloway being 'Loyalty Players"

25 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Yea I know visa players are in the cap, I was more saying I would rather take up a visa player slot with someone who can play 2 positions than signing 2 aussie players for those positions cause it won't take up as much of the cap.

We will also have a bit more cap space as well due to Good & now Galloway being 'Loyalty Players"

Ah, yes. I misread the intent of your post. Yes, indeed you do need several players in a squad who can play in more than one position. 

• Like 1

So, at this stage, 9th August 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
1    Jamie YOUNG

40 James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 
33  Patrick BEACH 

Defenders.
22  Curtis GOOD 
2    Scott GALLOWAY
4    Nuno REIS (V)
25  Callum TALBOT
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)
16  Aziz BEHICH
18  Jordon HALL

Midfielders.
10  Tolgay ARSLAN (V)
39  Emin DURAKOVIC (S)
34  Arion SULEMANI (S)
35  Zane SCHREIBER
21  Alessandro LOPANE
6    Steven UGARKOVIC 
17  Terry ANTONIS
37  Max CAPUTO

Forwards.
9   Jamie MacLAREN 
15  Andrew NABBOUT
7    Mathew LECKIE 

44 Marin JAKOLIS 1 year (L)

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Was he announced a little while ago that he had left? Also believe Galloway is looking elsewhere as he is likely second choice once again with the arrival of Behich...

I recall someone saying he was playing NPL with another club?

Ah, here. Says he's now at Central Coast. https://www.transfermarkt.com/luke-oresti/profil/spieler/855847

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Think Stokes went NPL...Oresti gone to the dark side he has!

Be interesting to calculate the "success rate" with the Academy, that is come right through our Academy and not been somewhere else first. How many have become regulars in the A-League team before moving elsewhere upwards and how many have been awarded scholarships and then not made it. Metcalfe, Atkinson and Bos come to mind immediately - who else?

On 8/8/2023 at 10:32 AM, Zanty said:

Are you saying you want to replace Maclaren or a backup? Cause we have backup in Caputo & Sulemani

Yes, we are lacking a ball playing CF who can make an impact in important games. We have a very poor track record in these type of games and that is one of the reasons IMO. 

The 2 youngsters are unproven for CL level.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yes, we are lacking a ball playing CF who can make an impact in important games. We have a very poor track record in these type of games and that is one of the reasons IMO. 

The 2 youngsters are unproven for CL level.

I just can't see us doing it tbh, think Rado would prefer to develop Caputo into that instead of bringing someone in

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

I just can't see us doing it tbh, think Rado would prefer to develop Caputo into that instead of bringing someone in

I know, it’s just plain hope on my side. It’s a real issue in big games, one which we don’t like to talk about. The stats are there for everyone to see. 

But yeah let’s see how Caputo develops, missed an absolute sitter today.

32 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I know, it’s just plain hope on my side. It’s a real issue in big games, one which we don’t like to talk about. The stats are there for everyone to see. 

But yeah let’s see how Caputo develops, missed an absolute sitter today.

I don't think we should be "waiting for someone to develop." We're playing in a competition the winner of which will play in the AFC Cup next season, and in September we play our first ACL match. We have to take these competitions seriously if football, and City, are ever going to grow in appeal.

Anyone at the match could see our inadequacies up front. No point in not facing up to it.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we should be "waiting for someone to develop." We're playing in a competition the winner of which will play in the AFC Cup next season, and in September we play our first ACL match. We have to take these competitions seriously if football, and City, are ever going to grow in appeal.

Anyone at the match could see our inadequacies up front. No point in not facing up to it.

The club would probably love to have an excellent backup who is almost as good as Maclaren but has a different skill set, but with limited cap space the club need to be smart with where those positions are filled

36 minutes ago, Zanty said:

The club would probably love to have an excellent backup who is almost as good as Maclaren but has a different skill set, but with limited cap space the club need to be smart with where those positions are filled

I see JMAC as designated player category and as long as that doesn’t change it will be difficult to make a real impact in Asia or win your domestic finals or difficult. For sustained succes you want 2 players of a higher level and I’m sure that will come in the future.