Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/academy-products-sign-scholarship-deals

Sulemani (who I really hope we get to see more of in the pre-season!) and Durakovic signed on Scholarships. 

Sulemani has been scoring for fun. Didn't see much of him last weekend as he went off injured in the first half having only had a chance to put one away. Looks a natural goalscorer. Likewise Durakovic looked an excellent player. We've got several real talents coming through.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

FMD I just posted the updated squad and deliberately checked the club website before I did so.

That's how I knew to check the website for new player signings.

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Sulemani has been scoring for fun. Didn't see much of him last weekend as he went off injured in the first half having only had a chance to put one away. Looks a natural goalscorer. Likewise Durakovic looked an excellent player. We've got several real talents coming through.

Yes, between Caputo and Sulemani there are some bloody talented forwards coming through.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

On this basis I'd suggest we need another creative midfielder, and maybe senior cover in central defence.

IMO that's an absolute minimum. A couple of injuries to key players and we look very vulnerable, especially with PK's inflexibility in the background.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO that's an absolute minimum. A couple of injuries to key players and we look very vulnerable, especially with PK's inflexibility in the background.

I'm intrigued to see what happens. But what also gives me some confidence is that we have the best youth side we've had in years, with half a dozen in that team ripe for promotion to the first team.

On 11/07/2022 at 7:30 PM, fensaddler said:

I'm intrigued to see what happens. But what also gives me some confidence is that we have the best youth side we've had in years, with half a dozen in that team ripe for promotion to the first team.

It’s certainly promising but we’ve been there before. The gap between youth/NPL2 and A-League is fairly large and the seasons aren’t aligned either hopefully in the near future a better pathway will be provided (I know things are in the works).

We will require a different pedigree of head coach to truly benefit from our talent in the academy.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

That's interesting for a start, and the list also confirms who is actually signed to the seniors. I think that that's the first time I have seen such a list!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

That's interesting for a start, and the list also confirms who is actually signed to the seniors. I think that that's the first time I have seen such a list!

Seems that they read the forum 👀 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

our best lineup this year?

Glover

Gallo - Reis- Good - Jamo

Lam - Berisha - VDV

Leckie - Macca - Nabbout

There would be a tasty bench. O'Neill, Tilio, Berenguer, Bos... All of them players you could bring on to change the game if needed. As ever, it'll be about tactics, injuries, and whether our new signings get to play. At some point we're going to need to sign an Asian player, as we've got another ACL campaign this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

There would be a tasty bench. O'Neill, Tilio, Berenguer, Bos... All of them players you could bring on to change the game if needed. As ever, it'll be about tactics, injuries, and whether our new signings get to play. At some point we're going to need to sign an Asian player, as we've got another ACL campaign this year.

Think we won't be playing ACL until mid next year as they still haven't played the final for this year's tournament... 

On 07/09/2022 at 4:40 PM, fensaddler said:

Can't help thinking three visa midfielders is an overload. IMO if you're going to have visa players they ought to be starters.

One thing I'd like to see from the club from now on is for PK to feature in the PR for new signings instead of, or at least in addition to, Petrillo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It distressed me to read from @fensaddlerthat Newcastle  "have made a great youth signing in Moonib Adus, who was brilliant in our youth side last season."

In the videos that I saw this guy was sensational, with exceptional skills and pace.

It saddens me that we can't seem to keep more of our academy products. I suppose that the problem is compounded by Australia not having nearly enough football at the senior level - 26 league matches and a couple of cup matches and that's the senior season gone.

IMO we've got to have more football so that these up-and-coming players can get senior match time with the club that's produced them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It distressed me to read from @fensaddlerthat Newcastle  "have made a great youth signing in Moonib Adus, who was brilliant in our youth side last season."

In the videos that I saw this guy was sensational, with exceptional skills and pace.

It saddens me that we can't seem to keep more of our academy products. I suppose that the problem is compounded by Australia not having nearly enough football at the senior level - 26 league matches and a couple of cup matches and that's the senior season gone.

IMO we've got to have more football so that these up-and-coming players can get senior match time with the club that's produced them.

I suspect that we will see a lot more of that - young players leaving for better pastures. And yes we do need to have more football but other factors also come into play such as will the coach play them? Why do we have so many journeyman? Saw Sydney's Lolley yesterday (second time I have seen SFC) and I am baffled what he brings to the team. No better than local products.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Problem is we've already got three or four fabulous attacking players knocking on the door of our first team! I'd have loved to have kept Moonib, but the truth is that our youth program is generating so much talent now that there just isn't room to keep them all. It's definitely a problem of success! And good luck to Moonib.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I suspect that we will see a lot more of that - young players leaving for better pastures. And yes we do need to have more football but other factors also come into play such as will the coach play them? Why do we have so many journeyman? Saw Sydney's Lolley yesterday (second time I have seen SFC) and I am baffled what he brings to the team. No better than local products.

As for "will the coach play them?" we are already paying lip service to that. The rules (for this season) state that of the seven substitutes at least three must be eligible to play for Australia and be born on or after 1st January 1999 (i.e. be U-23 players). That's why we have young players sitting on the bench. With a coach like PK these three will be named and then just sit there.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As for "will the coach play them?" we are already paying lip service to that. The rules (for this season) state that of the seven substitutes at least three must be eligible to play for Australia and be born on or after 1st January 1999 (i.e. be U-23 players). That's why we have young players sitting on the bench. With a coach like PK these three will be named and then just sit there.

We've got a side stacked with talent, but I do think that if they're good enough they will see game time. Bos (2002) is a clear example. But we're also playing Talbot (2001) over an older and more experienced player, with Tilio (2001) also starting regularly. Also note we've finished 3 out of 6 games with ten men, which is not necessarily a good situation in which to bring inexperienced attacking players.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

City isn't too bad - apart from the visa players, most of the Australians are not journeyman. I think JMac and Nabbout would be the only ones. WU is a shocker as is Sydney.

7 hours ago, NewConvert said:

City isn't too bad - apart from the visa players, most of the Australians are not journeyman. I think JMac and Nabbout would be the only ones. WU is a shocker as is Sydney.

I've read this a couple times, are you saying JMAC and Nabbout are journeymen?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well City is JMac's third A-League club and his overseas career also includes three clubs for a total of six. Nabbout also is on his third A-League club and has had two overseas clubs. So that for me indicates minor journeyman. Of course Nikor Tpor-Stanley and Reddy would be the gold stars for journeyman.

With us would JMAC and Nabbout have had the most clubs? Jamieson comes to mind as well.

Edited by Mr MO