Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Do we read that to indicate that he is now a full member of the seniors, not a Scholarship player?

Would have loved to sign him up for a bit longer. Clearly talented and he can now walk out of the door free in a years time.

53 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Would have loved to sign him up for a bit longer. Clearly talented and he can now walk out of the door free in a years time.

I am not entirely convinced - he has ability but I wonder about some of his decision making. In one year's time if he gets enough game time, he may develop and the club may opt to make him a longer offer.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Do we read that to indicate that he is now a full member of the seniors, not a Scholarship player?

I have a vague recollection that Scholarship players could only be signed on one year deals. If my recollection is correct, that would indicate senior contract.

Maybe @bt50 can weigh in, as he seems to be across these sorts of things.

34 minutes ago, malloy said:

I have a vague recollection that Scholarship players could only be signed on one year deals. If my recollection is correct, that would indicate senior contract.

Maybe @bt50 can weigh in, as he seems to be across these sorts of things.

@malloy Don't think you're correct there. Both Caputo and Oresti signed for two years, and they're scholarship players.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@malloy Don't think you're correct there. Both Caputo and Oresti signed for two years, and they're scholarship players.

Tbh I might be conflating academy players with the scholarship players. I just have a vague recollection that at some point in time a certain class of players could not be registered with the club for more than a year at a time. That being said I could just be imagining the whole thing.

9 hours ago, malloy said:

Tbh I might be conflating academy players with the scholarship players. I just have a vague recollection that at some point in time a certain class of players could not be registered with the club for more than a year at a time. That being said I could just be imagining the whole thing.

@malloy Here's a news article from July 2021 showing that scholarship players can be signed for more than one year. https://wswanderersfc.com.au/news/wanderers-confirm-three-scholarship-players.

IMO we can be forgiven for not knowing the precise rules. They're so complicated to start with and seem to change regularly. After all, Sydney broke one rule that they'd forgotten about...how are we supposed to know?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Interestingly Berenguer, O'Neill, Gomulka and Pucciarelli all finish their contracts at the end of next season. That is four out of five players leaving the fifth player who is a scholarship. He will be busy.

A part of the pitch where there will surely be significant reinforcements in the close season?

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

A part of the pitch where there will surely be significant reinforcements in the close season?

If you go to the club website and look under "Squads" you will see the following players that I don't have in my list:

Defenders: Harry Politidis

Midfielders: Arion Sulemani
                     Jordi Valadon
            Also: Max Caputo is listed as a midfielder whereas I have him as a forward.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If you go to the club website and look under "Squads" you will see the following players that I don't have in my list:

Defenders: Harry Politidis

Midfielders: Arion Sulemani
                     Jordi Valadon
            Also: Max Caputo is listed as a midfielder whereas I have him as a forward.

Is there a reason why you have not included them on your list? and has anyone seen them play at any level?

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Is there a reason why you have not included them on your list? and has anyone seen them play at any level?

They're not on my list because I've not seen any announcement of them actually being signed to the senior squad. Often, too, there is no announcement when one of them leaves the club and goes elsewhere. We're supposed to gather this information by osmosis. Of course I'm not infallible, but the list on the club website has often been so out of date that it isn't worth looking at.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Matt Sutton has signed a one-season contract extension.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/matthew-sutton-signs-contract-extension

I must say that takes me by surprise. GK was one position where I wanted us to make a significant improvement.

We still might. I think the likely outcome here is that Glover is going to head elsewhere, or that we'll look to a 3rd keeper.

23 hours ago, bt50 said:

We still might. I think the likely outcome here is that Glover is going to head elsewhere, or that we'll look to a 3rd keeper.

Sutton only on a 1 year deal so him being a third choice is not out of the question, glover could also be leaving but not sure where he would go tbh

So Griffiths is the only out of contract players we haven’t heard of?

We happily congratulated Pucci for his birthday, crazy if we keep him for another year.

I’m really keen to see if the club has taken any notice that the wheels were starting to fall off towards the end of the season.

If PK remains it will be more of the same and just work harder.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So Griffiths is the only out of contract players we haven’t heard of?

We happily congratulated Pucci for his birthday, crazy if we keep him for another year.

I’m really keen to see if the club has taken any notice that the wheels were starting to fall off towards the end of the season.

If PK remains it will be more of the same and just work harder.

AFAIK you are correct. IMO we look a bit weak in all three categories in the squad. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now. The lads usually return for training in the first two weeks of July, which is not too far away now.

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A bit of a shock for me, at least, because I thought he was highly rated. GK Ahmad Taleb has agreed to a mutual termination of contract. See club Twitter.

Unless we’ve signed another GK pushing Glover and Sutton down the pecking order.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

A bit of a shock for me, at least, because I thought he was highly rated. GK Ahmad Taleb has agreed to a mutual termination of contract. See club Twitter.

Indeed. Especially as he played for the NPL side on Saturday.... And watching him I rather thought he was no worse than Sutton...

Edited by fensaddler

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Unless we’ve signed another GK pushing Glover and Sutton down the pecking order.

That wouldn't make sense to me. Three GKs inside the cap? IMO more likely Taleb wanted to go once once we extended Sutton's stay.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That wouldn't make sense to me. Three GKs inside the cap? IMO more likely Taleb wanted to go once once we extended Sutton's stay.

Sutton is bloody average and not even a youth product. When are we going to award any of these promising young keepers with a spot in the A-league squad. Our track record is very poor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sutton is bloody average and not even a youth product. When are we going to award any of these promising young keepers with a spot in the A-league squad. Our track record is very poor.

Agreed. At the rate we're going all we're doing is producing GKs for other clubs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. At the rate we're going all we're doing is producing GKs for other clubs.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What is concerning is that we seem to be left with one of the weaker GK lineups in the league.

the whole situation seems bizarre to me.  particularly with some of the other yopung keepers moving on in recent seasons. 

then again we've also seen Redmayne go onto the Socceroos and Bouzanis just sign for Reading in the English Championship.  maybe our club needs to show balls and back a 26ish yo keeper in with decent coaching support.

• Like 1