Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

48 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Well Jenkinson and Endoh are on loan, so that would clear some space. Sutton would not be on much. Whatever Metcalfe is on that would be freed up as well. Griffioths is likely to be on some bigger cash but time is catching up with him. So for me Rfa and Cola should be kept but given PK's philosophy of no rotation and no replacing out of form players, why would they stay?

Cola is gone. We've known that for months.

13 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Won't be as much as his salary gets a discount in the salary cap as he came up through the youth set up same as atkinson i'm pretty sure

Yeah cap management and proper recruitment is going to be even more crucial next season. Same goes with loyalty players, the less own youth and loyal players you have then there’s just less to spend. 

I don't know if these players are still in contract or not but the Italian, Griffiths, Endo, Jenkinson and Glover I would move on. Get a better replacement centre back with some speed, a right back that can attack similar to Atkinson, get our visa midfield position right and a number one goal keeper. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

I don't know if these players are still in contract or not but the Italian, Griffiths, Endo, Jenkinson and Glover I would move on. Get a better replacement centre back with some speed, a right back that can attack similar to Atkinson, get our visa midfield position right and a number one goal keeper. 

Jenkinson and Endo are on loan which finishes next month. Griffiths is out of contract. Glover has one year to go and Pucci has two years to go.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Jenkinson and Endo are on loan which finishes next month. Griffiths is out of contract. Glover has one year to go and Pucci has two years to go.

Incorrect re. Pucci. He has one more season, not two.

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Agree. Especially about the centre-back position. I feel that the whole defence is being caught out far too often, and I'm a little surprised that we have extended Reis' contract at this stage when prima facie it didn't seem necessary. 

For next season's squad I think I'll start listing age, just for easy reference. Quite a few players are now 30-ish.

• Like 1

More than likely Glover will just sit out his contract, we’ve never been ruthless on cutting contracts on performance alone (for obvious salary cap reasons). Usually there’s more a personal / mutual termination feel to it.

So unless an offer comes in, he might become second goalkeeper whilst we bring somebody in who’s more reliable.

On Reis, unconfirmed info had him listed as our highest earner at the club (above JMAC and Florin) so he might have not been under the cap with his current contract. 

Edited by Mr MO

IMO you have to look beyond plain averages and look at the key positions. Further, does the above take into account actual playing times, or just appearances? Playing a 16-y-o for 3 minutes is not the same as playing a 33-y-o for 87.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Leckie 31, Maclaren 28, Nabbout 29, Berenguer 33.

Jamo 33, Good 29, Griff 34, Reis 31.

Suspect Griff is in his last season, certainly as a regular starter. Bringing either Bos or Tilio into either of those lines makes a big difference, and I suspect both with be first choice or regular starters next season.

56 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Suspect Griff is in his last season, certainly as a regular starter. Bringing either Bos or Tilio into either of those lines makes a big difference, and I suspect both with be first choice or regular starters next season.

Didn't someone mention their were rumours of Jamo retiring?

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. Can't remember who though. Buried in a thread somewhere.

I wouldn’t blame him. Never won a thing in his life, to retire with 2 titles on a high as club captain would be a dream for many, irrespective of the level.

Edited by Mr MO

I can't see any particular reason why Jamo would decide to retire just now. He has another year on his contract, he's a family man now and that year could set him up nicely for a future either with the club in some capacity or outside football. He is articulate with a good speaking voice and might also find a place in the football media. He'll carry his football achievements with him whenever he decides to retire. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see any particular reason why Jamo would decide to retire just now. He has another year on his contract, he's a family man now and that year could set him up nicely for a future either with the club in some capacity or outside football. He is articulate with a good speaking voice and might also find a place in the football media. He'll carry his football achievements with him whenever he decides to retire. 

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking as I really think we need to refresh the squad, perhaps it’s no coincidence that our leaky defence is related to one of the oldest back lines.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking as I really think we need refresh, perhaps it’s no coincidence that our leaky defence is related to one of the oldest back lines.

It would certainly be a factor.  Whilst our squad might appear to  have an acceptable average age, the starting line-up looks to be relatively old all over the pitch. Doesn't mean to say that we can't win trophies of course - we just have - but it needs to be carefully managed.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking as I really think we need to refresh the squad, perhaps it’s no coincidence that our leaky defence is related to one of the oldest back lines.

Which is why I like Lewis Miller from CCM - 21 years old, 2 years in the senior squad, can score. So having Galloway, Reis, Good, Bos and Miller across the back is nice balance of experience and youth.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Bos should replace Jamo. He offers more as he's the overlapping fullback. This is better for the team  than just playing him as a winger,  where we already play Leckie and Nabbout. 

Galloway should be on the other side. 

Captaincy band keeps Jamo in the starting team. 

Was thinking along the same lines. Although I would keep Jamo for another season but not as captain. Captaincy should go to Curtis Good and have the Bos/Jamo combo rotating depending on the opposition. Start Bos on some matches and Jamo on others. Then make substitutions accordingly - I know wishful thinking with PK at the helm.

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Was thinking along the same lines. Although I would keep Jamo for another season but not as captain. Captaincy should go to Curtis Good and have the Bos/Jamo combo rotating depending on the opposition. Start Bos on some matches and Jamo on others. Then make substitutions accordingly - I know wishful thinking with PK at the helm.

IMO any new right full-back needs to be a replacement for Atkinson (if that's possible!) - does Miller play the overlap role?

If Jamo continues on his current contract I can't see PK reallocating the captaincy. And I've have some questions over Curtis taking the armband - is he a strong enough personality to keep team discipline? IMO we need that in defence more than anywhere.

9 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Jamo would need to take a massive haircut on his pay to stay on. Can't be paying him what he gets paid to be a rotation player. Jamo was solid last year, but has shown this season that he is just too much off the pace. And him being in the team is detrimental to Bos' development who tends to outperform him these days snyway.

Imo the end of the finals campaign is a perfect time for him to hang up the boots (from everyone's perspective).

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Jamo would need to take a massive haircut on his pay to stay on. Can't be paying him what he gets paid to be a rotation player. Jamo was solid last year, but has shown this season that he is just too much off the pace. And him being in the team is detrimental to Bos' development who tends to outperform him these days snyway.

Imo the end of the finals campaign is a perfect time for him to hang up the boots (from everyone's perspective).

Jamo has one year left on his contract so unless there is a mutual agreement he is staying on his salary. Which brings us to the salary that Pucci is on and he doiesn't even make the bench. I don't think he is too far off the pace with a quite a few teams but he is off the pace against the teams that are challenging for the toilet seat this season. What he does bring is a bit of mongrel to the back line and a bit of experience. Which would be valuable in a few matches. I do agree that he is detrimental to Bos' development by keeping him out of the game but a rotation phase would benefit both players.

Interesting that Sydney has reappointed Corica. Furthermore after their small collapse this Sydney they're now rebuilding the squad and playing style next season. We certainly need a reasonable freshen of new players next season to challenge for top spot. 

After missing the final for the first time since 2016, Sydney FC's cleanout has begun with 𝟏𝟐 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐫𝐬 leaving the club.

🗣 “Recruitment will be key to our success as we freshen up the squad.

“We’ll need a new 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐫, a new 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧 and I want to strengthen us 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲...We’ll also be looking at 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞 to give the boys a new approach to the season and keep them fresh.”

Full story & list of exits: https://keepup.com.au/news/sydney-fc-clean-out-begins-with-12-exits

Edited by n i k o

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Interesting that Sydney has reappointed Corica. Furthermore after their small collapse this Sydney they're now rebuilding the squad and playing style next season. We certainly need a reasonable freshen of new players next season to challenge for top spot. 

After missing the final for the first time since 2016, Sydney FC's cleanout has begun with 𝟏𝟐 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐫𝐬 leaving the club.

“We’ll need a new 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐫, a new 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧 and I want to strengthen us 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲...We’ll also be looking at 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞 to give the boys a new approach to the season and keep them fresh.”

Full story & list of exits: https://keepup.com.au/news/sydney-fc-clean-out-begins-with-12-exits

Not surprised at Corica's re-appointment because I think that they felt they had one more finals campaign in the old squad. Wasn't to be the case and neither Corica nor Sydney are the first to fall in that trap. What will be interesting is whether Corica can rebuild a side and how good their recruiting is likely to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Not surprised at Corica's re-appointment because I think that they felt they had one more finals campaign in the old squad. Wasn't to be the case and neither Corica nor Sydney are the first to fall in that trap. What will be interesting is whether Corica can rebuild a side and how good their recruiting is likely to be.

Agree and understandable they fell into the trap. I do think the writing was on the wall a bit when a young Melbourne City side ran absolute rings around them in that grand final last year and they couldnt keep up, esp in the front third.

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm pleased to hear that sort of thing. Keeping the coach, recognising that they didn't quite get it right, and refreshing the squad. A mature approach.

TBH I think we need to do a rethink at City. We have become, IMO, rather predictable this season. Good enough to win a Premiership, but still room to rethink certain aspects, especially with an ageing squad.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm pleased to hear that sort of thing. Keeping the coach, recognising that they didn't quite get it right, and refreshing the squad. A mature approach.

TBH I think we need to do a rethink at City. We have become, IMO, rather predictable this season. Good enough to win a Premiership, but still room to rethink certain aspects, especially with an ageing squad.

I'm not sure I agree, regarding the ageing squad. 

Yes we have a group of over 30, but they aren't 35+ which is a big big difference. 

And the older 2 Griffiths 34 and Jamo 33, are still IMO got another season in them. Not as starting players obviously. 

What I think you should consider is who is 26 to 30 and are they our "best" players for their respective position and inn comparison to the League. If it is then we are in good shape, if no then they need to replaced/challenged for a starting position. 

Look at the numbers. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Look at the numbers. 

Yes, I am looking at the numbers, including the existing contract situation. And also that we are Premiers again and will play in the ACL again. Let's not go over our shortcomings again, but I think we need to aspire to being the best, always.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, I am looking at the numbers, including the existing contract situation. And also that we are Premiers again and will play in the ACL again. Let's not go over our shortcomings again, but I think we need to aspire to being the best, always.

Couldn't agree more. 

The major reason why we did back to back IMO because we have been able to retain the squad and have added. As opposed to to major overhaul as per Sydney now.

The debate is when do you move on a player. I'm saying you shouldn't look at age or wage, but look more as to where he sits in the team and the League. If he is still the best player in his position then he should in my opinion be retained if he can be replaced with a cheaper younger option then go with that.

For Example Bos and Jamo. I would keep Jamo another season (obviously he has another year of his contract) but with the hope Bos keeps him on the bench. As opposed move Jamo on an bring in another most likely young player.

• Like 1

Maybe Sydney went one season too many?

We do have to replace Metcalfe, and probably Cola, and surely we must replace Sutton to obtain a No.1. GK to replace Glover (who has another year on his contract)?

I wouldn't retain either of our loan players, and hopefully the Pucci situation can be resolved. By all accounts we also will have available another "designated player" position to fill if we want to.

I certainly agree on Jamieson. No reason to "move him on" - he's captained the side to two Premierships after all!