Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

26 minutes ago, haz said:

I can't wait for a player we'll announce on Tuesday now. 

The key ones of the existing squad are Jamieson, Noone, Luna and Berenguer. I'm expecting Jamo to be signed for another 2 years at least. The others are big questions. As for new players - no idea!

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The key ones of the existing squad are Jamieson, Noone, Luna and Berenguer. I'm expecting Jamo to be signed for another 2 years at least. The others are big questions. As for new players - no idea!

I can't see Jamo getting more than 2 years tbh. He will be 33 in October, which is really starting to get on in age.

My thoughts were that he would probably get a one year extension and then move into another role at the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I can't see Jamo getting more than 2 years tbh. He will be 33 in October, which is really starting to get on in age.

My thoughts were that he would probably get a one year extension and then move into another role at the club.

1 year extension for Jamo makes a lot of sense. Would keep Luna and can't see Noone staying with Leckie and Nabbout staying? Would happily see Berenguer leave as he is to hot and cold. 

Squad looking solid so far for next season... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

1 year extension for Jamo makes a lot of sense. Would keep Luna and can't see Noone staying with Leckie and Nabbout staying? Would happily see Berenguer leave as he is to hot and cold. 

Squad looking solid so far for next season... 

From what people tell me the issue with Luna is that his family is not here. I don't know for what reason, whether they don't want to come or are prevented from coming by the Department of Home Affairs (Immigration).

Luna has a pretty good record as a player throughout his career and unless we can be sure of getting someone obviously "better" it makes sense to me to retain him. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

From what people tell me the issue with Luna is that his family is not here. I don't know for what reason, whether they don't want to come or are prevented from coming by the Department of Home Affairs (Immigration).

Luna has a pretty good record as a player throughout his career and unless we can be sure of getting someone obviously "better" it makes sense to me to retain him. 

Daughter has some sort of health problem or disability, so it will likely be an immigration issue.

• Like 1

Luna's daughter I understand has cystic fibrosis which means she is excluded from immigration due to ongoing medical support she would need. It's a debilitating illness, sufferers usually end up with a reduced life span.  Had a mate in high school who's sister had it.  Pretty poor by the Australian government considering she moved from Uruguay to Mexico when he played for Red Sharks. I've always thought we should do a charity thing for Luna as he would have some ongoing medical costs to cover. Such a nice bloke too

• Like 2

The full item: https://kick360.com.au/director-of-football-michael-petrillo-on-securing-citys-long-term-future/

I wasn't aware that James Poole has come from Manchester to focus on us.

I've been one of Petrillo's critics, but his recent interviews with the media have impressed me enormously. Maybe it's the way he's been reported, but we really do seem to me to have matured as a club. Perhaps that's why Ante Milicic deemed us the "benchmark."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

“There’s a couple of players we still need to re-sign and there could be one or two from outside the group depending on how those negotiations go,” he explained.

Jamo has re-signed according to the article 

Praying for a real playmaker. 

Isn’t it good to be this well managed on and off the pitch. Only expect 1-2 more signings from outside the group and Noone is leaving as his partner posted on IG there moving 

@CityBoyz Please quote URLs for references. Helps people go quickly to the source.

• Like 1

We don’t really play with a playmaker basically we play with 2 8’s basically and don’t play a traditional attacking midfield role. Would have liked Davilla but couldn’t never be able to fit him within the cap. 

Haha I don’t want to open this discussion again. We are essentially saying that Kevin DeBruyne is an 8 and not a playmaker! I think the term playmaker is debatable.

We need to bring something better than Berenguer if we want to evolve and keep dominating.

Edited by Mr MO

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

image.png.c87220caecb3db3b3e8cbbc68ccb1d98.png

Don’t mean to annoy you JW but there are some errors. It’s Raphael Borges Rodrigues (he’s a forward), Bernardo Oliveira actually departed recently and signed for Adelaide where his old man played https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/reds-sign-bernardo. The other one you can probably remove is Abdulahi. I think he’s left too but not sure if he’s signed anywhere else.

17 hours ago, Harrison said:

Don’t mean to annoy you JW but there are some errors. It’s Raphael Borges Rodrigues (he’s a forward), Bernardo Oliveira actually departed recently and signed for Adelaide where his old man played https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/reds-sign-bernardo. The other one you can probably remove is Abdulahi. I think he’s left too but not sure if he’s signed anywhere else.

No problems at all. I'll get on to this later today.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any comments corrections etc. pls PM me at any time. I just do it for all of us because it aids discussion down the track, and it needs to be as correct and up-to-date as possible.

• Like 2

OK, so as far as I can work out, this is the situation as of 1st July 2021. I have italicised those players who are out of contract at the end of this season. If anyone has any corrections including additions/deletions then please PM me via the Forum rather than clutter up the thread. It is hard to be completely accurate because the club website is out-of-date, and also players seem to leave the club without any acknowledgement of same.
image.png.5f23be065ff8d25f3165c18557c040f7.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

An announcement is definitely incoming if you’ve updated the squad 

Mr. Noone didn't let me down. I'd rather have read it from a City statement - a bit sloppy there - but there's no denying it now. Next update on its way...

Outstanding player, always knew when he was on the ball he would get a cross in, open up space for a shot and always have the intention of moving the ball forward. Deserved far more respect from our supporter base than he got but glad he's getting it now. And should anyone boo him next season shall get a swift slap to the back of the head. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon at a minimum we still need a CAM and a defender that can play at fullback and centreback. To fully complete the squad it wouldn't hurt to have another CM for cover.

Would use a visa spot on the CAM and would be happy using another visa spot on the defender.

I think we have more than adequate cover in the front third.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We definitely need another versatile defender given Atkinson and Griffiths injury problems. Everywhere else we're pretty good. I'd like to see a O'Neil, Metcalfe, Tillio midfield, which still leaves Florin, Gomulka, Griff and Lesiotis for depth, which would probably be a starting midfield at most other clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citymad said:

Great work again JW - I suspect you could probably remove Idrus Abdulahi?

@citymad Yes, I think that on the next iteration I will remove him. I must say that with the advent of APL and (I thought) freedom for clubs to have their own website design and content, I hoped that the club could be up to date with its listings of players etc. Idrus is still shown there in the list of  Y-League players as no. 39.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@citymad Yes, I think that on the next iteration I will remove him. I must say that with the advent of APL and (I thought) freedom for clubs to have their own website design and content, I hoped that the club could be up to date with its listings of players etc. Idrus is still shown there in the list of  Y-League players as no. 39.

Lesiotis is 39 for the A-League team as well. Hasn’t been announced but I’d suppose Leckie will be 11