Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Tsubaki is on loan. That answers that one.

2. I can’t imagine we’d sign Leckie if Nabbout re-signs, mind you we might if Nabbout resigns. Leckie will be sought after in Australia and rumours aren’t worth a lot.
3. Luna and Noone are no brainers, “all” that’s required is agreement on terms. 

4. Florin needs to play every week to be effective and I don’t think we can offer that. As a 5th year player he’d be relatively low salary cap impact but we still have a budget. Im not sure he’ll be re-signed. Wait and see I guess.

Just now, Shahanga said:

1. Tsubaki is on loan. That answers that one.

2. I can’t imagine we’d sign Leckie if Nabbout re-signs, mind you we might if Nabbout resigns. Leckie will be sought after in Australia and rumours aren’t worth a lot.
3. Luna and Noone are no brainers, “all” that’s required is agreement on terms. 

4. Florin needs to play every week to be effective and I don’t think we can offer that. As a 5th year player he’d be relatively low salary cap impact but we still have a budget. Im not sure he’ll be re-signed. Wait and see I guess.

Only concern I have when picking  Noone is that he’s 34 in November compared to Nabbout 29 but very injury prone and Noone might want to return to UK. Leckie is a great signing and would team up well with Nabbout / Noone so that doesn’t bother me. Leckie Macca Nabbout/Noone would a be a deadly front 3. 

Luna must re-sign and agree Florin time is up.  Leaves us with maybe 2 visa spots if we want to use them to strengthen maybe a attacking kid but we don’t play with one, 

It’ll be interesting to see how we go about this. Four of the five foreign players are out of contract and two are on the older side even though Noone is in good form. Luna will be 30 next year but looks like he’s still got a lot left. Tsubaki is almost a certainty to not come back at this point.

Potentially we’ve got Leckie coming in and Najjarine is still on our books. We might be content with an almost entirely domestic squad plus Reis and Luna. Retention is important though and if we lose any strong Australian players we might need to go foreign.

This is a seriously good team with a lot of competition for spots:

Glover

Atkinson Reis Good Jamieson

Luna O’Neill Metcalfe

Leckie Maclaren Nabbout

Sutton, Griffiths, Tilio, Najjarine, Colakovski, Galloway, Garrucio

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

It’ll be interesting to see how we go about this. Four of the five foreign players are out of contract and two are on the older side even though Noone is in good form. Luna will be 30 next year but looks like he’s still got a lot left. Tsubaki is almost a certainty to not come back at this point.

Potentially we’ve got Leckie coming in and Najjarine is still on our books. We might be content with an almost entirely domestic squad plus Reis and Luna. Retention is important though and if we lose any strong Australian players we might need to go foreign.

Glover

Luna O’Neill Metcalfe

Leckie Maclaren Nabbout

Why wouldn't you replace Tsubaki, Noone and Berenguer. 

That's potentially 3 starting players to lift the overall standard. 

Baring a catastrophic injury run I completely agree that list is impressive, considering several haven't yet reached peak levels, Tilio Colakovski Najarine and lesser extent Atkinson and Glover, and I think Metcalfe has still heaps of improvement. 

Only issue will be cap management and if Sydney has done it consistently for 4 or so seasons I can't see why we cant.

Let's also look at PK also improving. 

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Why wouldn't you replace Tsubaki, Noone and Berenguer. 

That's potentially 3 starting players to lift the overall standard. 

Baring a catastrophic injury run I completely agree that list is impressive, considering several haven't yet reached peak levels, Tilio Colakovski Najarine and lesser extent Atkinson and Glover, and I think Metcalfe has still heaps of improvement. 

Only issue will be cap management and if Sydney has done it consistently for 4 or so seasons I can't see why we cant.

Let's also look at PK also improving. 

The problem is the cap. If we brought in three foreigners who are better than our XI then we’ve probably got a problem with fitting them under it. Leckie and Nabbout would command decent salaries although one could join Maclaren as a marquee. But then paying for all the others would be tricky given some of their performances. A few of them would still be on their existing contracts I think, so might be relatively cheap for another season. But only a few of our younger players would qualify as homegrown and not many will reach the loyalty criterion for another season at least. Curtis qualifies next season but it’s not like his whole salary is excluded, it’s just a portion of it.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The problem is the cap. If we brought in three foreigners who are better than our XI then we’ve probably got a problem with fitting them under it. Leckie and Nabbout would command decent salaries although one could join Maclaren as a marquee. But then paying for all the others would be tricky given some of their performances. A few of them would still be on their existing contracts I think, so might be relatively cheap for another season. But only a few of our younger players would qualify as homegrown and not many will reach the loyalty criterion for another season at least. Curtis qualifies next season but it’s not like his whole salary is excluded, it’s just a portion of it.

True, so this might be the ideal time for CFG to look at Marquee,  especially in the light of the new TV in which i assume they had massive involvement. 

Maybe it's just me hoping but it could be possible. 

Agree, Leckie and Nabbout will eat alot of the cap. So we could actually see a predominately Aussie squad. 

Very interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

True, so this might be the ideal time for CFG to look at Marquee,  especially in the light of the new TV in which i assume they had massive involvement. 

Maybe it's just me hoping but it could be possible. 

Agree, Leckie and Nabbout will eat alot of the cap. So we could actually see a predominately Aussie squad. 

Very interesting. 

The rules might change too. They might increase the cap (don’t think they scrap it but it’s possible), scrap the allowances like the homegrown and loyalty ones (or increase or decrease them), change the foreign player limit, change the marquee limit etc.

There’s a lot of uncertainty given that next season the shackles are off for the APL. It’s a new era and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some changes to the squad rules.

Plus the pandemic will still be having an effect here and abroad. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Glover

Luna O’Neill Metcalfe

Leckie Maclaren Nabbout

Najjar also still on our books.

Loyalty players 4 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. So that’s Jamo, Good, Griffiths. 

Homegrown players are Atkinson, Metcalfe, Colakovski. 
Homegrown Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system

• Like 1

I think Noone will go, He is a bit long in the tooth IMO. however it wouls be an awesome array of attacking threats if we has Maclaren. Nabbout, Leckie, tilio, Cola, and also managed Noone in the squad.  And then goals coming from midfield - Metcalfe, Oneill, Luna, Florin. 

and also Najjar and Najjarine!!

Edited by citymad
forgot

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Most articles are mentioned that Nabbout will be with us next season, I understood that he only had 1 year contract.

One year is correct. Unless it has been extended but  there has been no announcement. For some reason, certain players just vanish off the radar. Abdulahi for example.

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

One thing that sucks about the A League is a few seconds after the club makes a big signing you wonder “so who’s leaving”.  Robs a fair bit of joy from the situation.

You mean, similar to winning the premiership and then not playing in the ACL?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

For those who care about comparative salaries/ value. Transfermarkt says (euros):

Leckie 1.3M

Maclaren 1.3M

Nabbout 500k

Noone 450k

Colakovski 250k

(yes I know you’ll never get this in a transfer for the top 4, but it’s an independent valuation)

Going by the press release looks like Nabbout will stay He “will join several other Melbourne boys at City, including Maclaren, Good, Andrew Nabbout, and Stefan Colakovski.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

For those who care about comparative salaries/ value. Transfermarkt says (euros):

Leckie 1.3M

Maclaren 1.3M

Nabbout 500k

Noone 450k

Colakovski 250k

(yes I know you’ll never get this in a transfer for the top 4, but it’s an independent valuation)

I am confident in saying that these valuse do not correlate to the actual player wages. 

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That’s their transfer value as per transfermarkt. 

Correct - nothing to do with what they might command as salary/wages etc.

In any case, we never seem to get anywhere near that Transfermarkt valuation when A-League players are transferred overseas.

image.png.70a07b9fe9a3cb5446c4d73bf1b06abd.png

I would expect that the next thing we will see is one or two departures. I doubt that Jamo will be going anywhere,. Tsubaki's loan will finish, so the candidates are Lesiotis, Berenguer, Noone, Luna and Nabbout, so we could have plenty of room for visa signings. I also note that we seem to be signing players to longer contracts (e.g. Reis, Leckie).

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

image.png.70a07b9fe9a3cb5446c4d73bf1b06abd.png

I would expect that the next thing we will see is one or two departures. I doubt that Jamo will be going anywhere,. Tsubaki's loan will finish, so the candidates are Lesiotis, Berenguer, Noone, Luna and Nabbout, so we could have plenty of room for visa signings. I also note that we seem to be signing players to longer contracts (e.g. Reis, Leckie).

As well as Tilio who signed a 3 year deal. When Jamo signed he signed a 4 year deal and Maclaren a 3.5 year deal. 

Lesiotis won’t be going anywhere think he will stay. Visas will be interesting other than Tsubaki whose gone. Nabbout think he will stay 

6 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

As well as Tilio who signed a 3 year deal. When Jamo signed he signed a 4 year deal and Maclaren a 3.5 year deal. 

Lesiotis won’t be going anywhere think he will stay. Visas will be interesting other than Tsubaki whose gone. Nabbout think he will stay 

If Luna can't bring his family here, why would you want to stay any longer? I would say let both Luna and Berenguer go, combine their earning and get a visa midfielder a level up from both of them.

• Thanks 1

This could be the first XI squad if Nabbout stays as predicted. Meaning our other target should be a midfielder if Luna/Bereguer depart the club as they are off contract. 

Not bad when you have Tilio, Cola,Griffiths, Gomulka, Garruccio, Galloway, Rodrigues. And if Najjarine returns to the club him as well. 

Think Lesiotis will probably stay as well. 

Should target another attacking mid, maybe a backup CB. Probably won't target a CB as we have Stokes and Mills in reserve and probably allocate more of the cap to another mid. 

1F9AA7C6-9242-4EC5-AB02-A3EAF6EA01AD.jpeg

Edited by CityBoyz

10 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

We could target Amini to replace Luna and Berenguer in central midfield and he is currently Australia as he has just recovered 

I don't see any particular reason to chase Amini. IMO, with the state of the A-League as it is now, as and where possible it would be desirable to import some bums-on-seats players, even if it means reducing the number of visa players in the league.