Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

5 hours ago, citymad said:

he is the captain.. unless paddy demotes him and makes Jmac captiain. But it is not often the captian is left out of the starting eleven if they are fit. 

Who do you propose as an aternative captain. 

He was made captain yes but also turned out to be one of the weakest starting players, this can’t keep going on of course. He needs to earn his starting spot like any other.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I swear I’ve read somewhere that Najjar is going on loan to MacArthur?

Reported by Dave Lewis in "The World Game" back in July but haven't seen it elsewhere myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Macarthur_FC_season

My policy (with very few exceptions) is not to change the squad until I get confirmation from an official club announcement. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just looking through my list and matching it with the one shown here https://www.a-league.com.au/news/all-players-signed-hyundai-a-league-season-202021 and there are a few discrepancies.

Dukuly has moved on  but no mention of Jamieson, Maclaren, Metcalfe...

Noone and Galloway are both missing too. I wouldn't put much stock in that list as the former has been substantively confirmed as playing for the coming season.

21 minutes ago, malloy said:

Noone and Galloway are both missing too. I wouldn't put much stock in that list as the former has been substantively confirmed as playing for the coming season.

I find the sloppy reporting to be extremely irritating. FFA HQ should make sure it gets things correct - as it is it looks so bloody amateurish.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, malloy said:

Noone's a definite. Article on him on the club website. Also articles about Atkinson and Windbichler.

I'll update the squad ASAP.

Edited by jw1739

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I find the sloppy reporting to be extremely irritating. FFA HQ should make sure it gets things correct - as it is it looks so bloody amateurish.

Mind you, I won't absolve the club from the same criticism. The club website is hopelessly out of date on the same issue - the squad and coaches.

If you want to keep fans and attract new ones you've got to work hard  Being out-of-date with your club news is not good enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, neio said:

I get the feeling if we're announcing official squad numbers 4 weeks out from our first game, that's it for incoming players unfortunately 

Exactly what I thought as well unless were waiting for January transfer window to see what happens 

Edited by CityBoyz

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Two matches in lads;

1 - do we think have a top two worthy squad?

2 - was it the right move to lock the team very early amidst all the Covid drama?

We’re looking a little light in the creative/ x-factor department. Metcalfe, Luna and O’Neill are work horses. Looks like Flo needs to step it up. 

• Like 1

We lack goalscoring wingers in this system. Noone is more of a typical left midfielder who can deliver balls into the box but isn't gonna break a defence open and cause defenders trouble. I think we've put all our eggs on Nabbout getting 10+ a season which would be great if his muscles weren't made of soggy paper. 

Other than depth at CB we've got good quality across the park, not as good as it has been previously but that's standard across the league. 

12 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

We lack goalscoring wingers in this system. Noone is more of a typical left midfielder who can deliver balls into the box but isn't gonna break a defence open and cause defenders trouble. I think we've put all our eggs on Nabbout getting 10+ a season which would be great if his muscles weren't made of soggy paper. 

Other than depth at CB we've got good quality across the park, not as good as it has been previously but that's standard across the league. 

Agreed, I think so too and might very well be the second highest paid player after Jmac.

Having watched the first rounds of other teams during the Christmas holidays. I think this quality across the aboard we are all talking about might be there but it’s just plainly average quality with no stand outs to elevate the team.

Perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves based on last season. We didn’t play many teams top 4 teams of the park, most of ours wins came from the bottom teams.

I’m slightly concerned that if our fortunes turn ( this happens in football) we have no suprise in our locker, stuck in our system with under performing key players.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Two matches in lads;

1 - do we think have a top two worthy squad?

2 - was it the right move to lock the team very early amidst all the Covid drama?

I’m still pretty bullish about our squad and our chances. Top two should be our goal. We shouldn’t get too down after a poor (and unlucky) performance, especially after a tough away win first up.

We really need to get our best XI on the park consistently. Our depth is adequate but losing Nabbout in the first round, Atkinson before the season began, in addition to Berenguer not having a pre-season makes it difficult. I’ve got concerns but on balance I’m optimistic.

Our best XI is strong. There aren’t any true stand-out players in our squad, and that means we need to maintain and build on the system Mombaerts implemented because we don’t have players that will rip a game apart. Our strength is in our system and the types of players we have seem to be the types that really need consistency.

• Like 2

As said above i think Atkinson and Nabbout are significant outs. 

Nabbout is that goal scoring winger that we have wanted for ages to take the heat off our actual striker. He is possibly the only player aside from Maclaren who is capable of scoring multiple goals in a game, and offers the versatility to allow us to deploy him on a wing or up front. From an attacking sense we have clearly been building our pre-season around the one two punch of Maclaren and Nabbout, with the rest acting as more of a supporting cast. 

Atkinson is unique as our only defender capable of providing run and drive. Jamieson, Galloway and Garrucio have all shown thus far they can't move the ball meaningfully and are not attacking threats atm. Garrucio may improve when switched to the left, but otherwise I think they are primarily supporting role players on their respective sides. Atkinson is actually capable of hurting sides and being a goal threat, and we badly need him to return. 

I think the problem with all of this is that naturally we look at players as individuals, we look at individual matches, and we look at individual seasons.

If you go back to the time when we won our only trophy and look at the squad we had on that day then you can see how far down the quality scale we have come since. The club is a shadow of what it was then.

I still can't see what it is that CFG want from us as a club.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think the problem with all of this is that naturally we look at players as individuals, we look at individual matches, and we look at individual seasons.

If you go back to the time when we won our only trophy and look at the squad we had on that day then you can see how far down the quality scale we have come since. The club is a shadow of what it was then.

I still can't see what it is that CFG want from us as a club.

Well yes but it’s relative. Only a few months ago last season did we reach the GF for the first time and almost win it. We’re into the ACL for the first time in our history. I’d take that over a team that wins the FFA Cup but can’t make it to the last day of the season. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well yes but it’s relative. Only a few months ago last season did we reach the GF for the first time and almost win it. We’re into the ACL for the first time in our history. I’d take that over a team that wins the FFA Cup but can’t make it to the last day of the season. 

Do we think that the team who won the FA cup would have easily won the league in the last 2 seasons? I think so but the quality of the league was higher perhaps back than and there was a big buzz around all teams.