Melbourne Football

Season in Review - Your Lowlights and Highlights

haz

Ouch

Melbourne City have become the first team in A-League/FFA Cup history to complete an iconic "Runners up" treble.

FFA Cup Final - Lost 4-0 to Adelaide United

Regular season - 2nd place

Grand Final - Lost 1-0 to Sydney FC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My favourite match- the game against Newcastle when I was convinced that Uruguay was going to take Cabrera and Luna as their front 2 over Suarez and Cavani

My least favourite - FFA cup final, closely followed by the Christmas derby. How the fuck did we lose to those retards this season 

• Like 1

I think that this was a season of transformation. It was the first season in our existence where we had a good coach, not just decent, but good. OK, not Bielsa, but still good. The result reflects this as coaching has always been the weakest link in the chain. it increases the pressure on us next season, we really need to keep Erick (Bela Guttman's 3 year rule) or we risk losing momentum even with Kisnorbo, remember the womens team was having a mediocre season under him until Jess Fishlock stepped up to joint coach, then we won. It really is a crucial season if we want to take the next step beyond 'runner-sup' and cement the cultural change. 

It was a transition year interns of playing list. We were stuck with players like Florin, inherited from Wazza, next season, with ACL qualification and a partial season overlap with ACL, we have a chance to recruit well and have a clearer run at ACL.

It does hurt that we lost 2 finals, but it shows how far we have come that we got into both finals. I give us a B+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

highlights:

• winning the #notaderby four times, making them our bunnies
  • actually finishing 2nd - easily our best season and getting into ACL
  • making our first GF
  • seeing the VAR dumped (if but briefly) for the world to see how much better our game can be without it
  • our Women's team going undefeated
  • seeing the tards eat a big bag of dicks most week / showing what a rabble that club truly is

lowlights:

• missing out on 4+ home games for the first time in years due to a fucking virus
  • not being able to attend club's first GF due to said virus (although I got to vent my rather inebriated frustration after the game at home and not in public - so probably saved me an arrest ;) )
  • having to go to hospital because i thought I was having a heart attack at work (all good now, was something else).  Fuck getting those little sticky electronic disks off after your testing is a cunt

• Like 3

Highlights:

• Best ever league finish and ACL
  • Contested everything - FFA cup, league and finals
  • The late winner from Jmac against Western in rd 3
  • 2-3 away win in Perth
  • 2-0 win vs Sydney post-covid
  • Bouncing back from losses quickly - Didn't lose 2 in a row all season
  • Playing style (most of the time)
  • Mombaerts
  • Red & white for the GF - Not a "rEd AnD wHiTe Or Im OuT" fan, but it was clear how much it still means to our fans. Sky blue has little to no meaning.
  • Social media presence from the club, especially during lockdown. Felt really touched by that video of the player's families before the GF.

Lowlights:

• Some losses that really hurt because of our rubbish performance or blowing a lead
    • FFA cup final
    • 4-3 loss to Brisbane early in the season
    • 0-3 loss at home to Perth also early in the season
    • 2-1 loss to 10-man Sydney
Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2

Highlights:
- Qualifying for the ACL Qualifiers for the first time.
- Runners-up in the FFA Cup, the Premiership, and the Championship.
- Jamie Maclaren as Golden Boot winner.
- A real goalkeeper at last.

Lowlights:
- Just falling short in everything.
- Not winning the matches that count - we still have nemesis teams (notably Sydney and Perth with whom our record over 10 seasons is very poor).
- Just not delivering with our visa players. - Luna the only one to deliver. Unfortunate injuries to Windbichler and Hendry, Berenguer and Noone very disappointing, and not convinced by Cabrera and Susaeta before they left anyway.

My Player of the Year is Tom Glover.

Edit: Additional lowlight: Mombaerts leaving.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not sure I agree with the narrative developing that our visas failed, or aren't good enough or even should be axed immediately. 

For me this season was the first I can remember all of them actually contributed noticeably, okay not so much in the grannie but overall, and because I'm talking about overall the entirety of the season then I would say all of them minus Susaeta all helped the team make the grannie and finish clearly the second best team in the league. 

Individually I think everyone's expectations are skewed, but that's opinions. As a follow up you need to look at the oppositions visas and see they really didn't do a huge amount in the final either.

I felt Berenguer and Luna were below but they were also had defensive roles on Ninkovic,  and Noone was battling Grant, which maybe Grant won in stoppage time, but overall I think all these blokes should do another season. 

This.

Luna, Windy and Noone are all contracted anyway. I'm happy to resign Susa as marquee if available, but if not we take the best possible available option in either the 10 or wing role. If that's Susa or another winger, then we keep Florin,  if we can get him to stay on a modest deal (imo he's worth it at 200-250k), but a lot depends on what the cap does also. If its a 10 then we move Florin on and chase a winger.

I certainly don't think the wipe the slate and start again approach has worked all that well for us, either as a team or a club so continuity as much as possible is key for a side thats so close.

• Like 4

Highlights:

* top drawer manager. “The Real Deal”

*decent football 

* the way the club played respect to the red and white

*golden boot winner

* Curtis’s form

*Glover

*the sour taste from He Who Must Not Be Named washed away.

lowlights:

inconsistent at times, Cabrera leaving, VAR, Najjarine & Wales not coming along, Genreau leaving.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Highlights:

* top drawer manager. “The Real Deal”

*decent football 

* the way the club played respect to the red and white

*golden boot winner

* Curtis’s form

*Glover

*the sour taste from He Who Must Not Be Named washed away.

lowlights:

inconsistent at times, Cabrera leaving, VAR, Najjarine & Wales not coming along, Genreau leaving.

And now Atko leaving. Worst of all. 

• Like 2

On 01/09/2020 at 3:44 PM, fensaddler said:

Can you imagine the same question on a Victory forum? Would just be lowlights and lowlights. One of the best things about this season is how utterly, hopelessly crap our noisy neighbours were. Third team in Victoria... 

What! Are there 3 teams in Victoria? Surely not, there's us and WU, is there another one?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, Redmayne for starters, Sydney winning the fair play award just because refs favour them despite being a bunch of divers, and Chris Beath as even a decent ref, never mind the best. Not convinced about McGree either. 

The only one that stands scrutiny is Maclaren - because it's quantifiable. To a lesser extent so is the Fair Play Award because it depends on the number of cards although the latter is subject to debate over the standard of refereeing. All the other awards are matters of opinion.

My two highlights were the Western United away game in Geelong where Maclaren scored late after Delbo's questionable red, and the 3rd Melbourne derby where Berenguer played like Zidane for one game.

Lowlight was obviously the Grand Final but we did well to make it. Nice season for the club but still stacks of improvement to be had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The only one that stands scrutiny is Maclaren - because it's quantifiable. To a lesser extent so is the Fair Play Award because it depends on the number of cards although the latter is subject to debate over the standard of refereeing. All the other awards are matters of opinion.

I wouldn't argue with the award to Diamanti, he's been a pleasure to watch. Likewise it would be hard to go past Topor Stanley's screamer for goal of the season. It was an absolute worldie. And I've got to stand by Eric's award out of club loyalty... 

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I wouldn't argue with the award to Diamanti, he's been a pleasure to watch. Likewise it would be hard to go past Topor Stanley's screamer for goal of the season. It was an absolute worldie. And I've got to stand by Eric's award out of club loyalty... 

Tbf i'm not sure why Redmayne wouldnt be considered worthy either tbh. Conceded the least goals and is a vastly improved player on seasons past.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...