Melbourne Football

Grand Final Thread Melbourne City FC v Sydney FC 30/8 6:30pm Bankwest Stadium

NuggetsMcGreggor

Overall a strong season, club is making strides, next year will be interesting with the salary cap reduction coming into play, maybe our junior program will hold us in good stead b/c of it,  it's probably Paddy K's time to come in and build on a very strong apprenticeship, so all positive from me

16 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Grants goal looked offside.  No proper replay on it.  No VAR, and our goal would have stood.  

Fuck FFA Shitney and the commentators can all fuck off as well.

Fuck Redders the time wasting shit fuck.  Fuck Corica, fuck em All. 

Andy Harper was literally involved in the operation of Sydney FC in the A-league's early days, yet fox lets him commentate Thier matches every week, he is absolutely the most biased commentator in Aus football no question.

Speed is just a fuckwit who shouldn't be anywhere near a mic. Has to shove his unwanted and cringeworthy opinions in any chance he gets whilst talking non-stop about what hockey team Sydney's reserve left back played in when he was a kid. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, malloy said:

I honestly think we would have won if Metcalfe had started instead of Bereneguer

Kind of agree, but the side was picked based on the last few weeks and tinkering lineups generally don't work.

Mombarets can't be faulted, he picked his side and then made the changes, the Metcalfe change 10 minutes earlier might have changed but really Metcalfe had full 30 minutes and didn't really do heaps.

Even selecting  Wales made sense.

• Like 1

Just now, Jovan said:

Kind of agree, but the side was picked based on the last few weeks and tinkering lineups generally don't work.

Mombarets can't be faulted, he picked his side and then made the changes, the Metcalfe change 10 minutes earlier might have changed but really Metcalfe had full 30 minutes and didn't really do heaps.

Even selecting  Wales made sense.

I think Metcalfe coming on changed a lot. Sydney were controlling the game and were really starting to make us look like an old Heart team that crumbled under any pressure. I think metcalfe coming on gave us a bit more stability in midfield and allowed us to attack more. 

• Like 1

I'm not too disappointed in Wales tonight, it's not his fault, he is simply playing at a professional level to high for his limited skillset. He is an NPL footballer and nothing more.

Noone on the other hand has no excuses. How has this man managed to play at an EPL and championship level?

He has absolutely zero composure for a 31 year old forward, it's bizarre. He put away 4 goals and 9 assists this season but has been so underwhelming in general play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok. I wasn’t going to post about the game because I’m 3 sheets to the wind, but then I thought, who cares.

Really good season. Gutsy performance in the grannie. Should of won, shafted by that tool of Satan, (the VAR), and the standard of A League refereeing.
Ultimately those cunts from Sydney were the best team all year and I guess there’s some rough justice In them being gifted the dunny seat.

Next year, who the fuck knows. My plan is to get hammered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TJV said:

Andy Harper was literally involved in the operation of Sydney FC in the A-league's early days, yet fox lets him commentate Thier matches every week, he is absolutely the most biased commentator in Aus football no question.

Speed is just a fuckwit who shouldn't be anywhere near a mic. Has to shove his unwanted and cringeworthy opinions in any chance he gets whilst talking non-stop about what hockey team Sydney's reserve left back played in when he was a kid. 

I hope Optus gets the rights for next season and embraces the A-League, unlike fox. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TJV said:

Noone on the other hand has no excuses. How has this man managed to play at an EPL and championship level?He has absolutely zero composure for a 31 year old forward, it's bizarre. He put away 4 goals and 9 assists this season but has been so underwhelming in general play.

I am returning to this opinion.  When he arrived he was easily the worst forward i can remember for us, and I was asking the same questions.  Then he improved markedly ...  but tonight he really was found out.  

The fact JMac was almost anonymous in the last 75 minutes speaks volumes for their defence too (sadly). We should have run them off the park from half-time on given our quieter last few weeks.....

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Luna? Barely seen him, I reckon we can do better in that position.

I have a soft spot for him, early in the season he really stepped up and made a big difference, I still see that tenacity. Sure we could do better though :)

Anyway night all, got to be up at 5 am.

The future is bright and we nearly got there.

7 minutes ago, moops said:

I have a soft spot for him, early in the season he really stepped up and made a big difference, I still see that tenacity. Sure we could do better though :)

I think if he was a local Australian player I would be less critical. The positions of Berenguer and Luna as forward minded and pressing midfielders requires skill to get pass your first man and / or create opportunities with either killing assists or creativite moves - he's got the forward press but what about the rest? You wonder why players like Jmac look lonely, well it sits with those two forward mids a lot of times. my analysis is based that he is a visa import by the way.

Edited by Mr MO

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I think if he was a local Australian player I would be less critical. The positions of Berenguer and Luna as forward minded and pressing midfielders requires skill to get pass your first man and / or create opportunities with either killing assists or creativite moves - he's got the forward press but what about the rest? You wonder why players like Jmac look lonely, well it sits with those two forward mids a lot of times. my analysis is based that he is a visa import by the way.

I agree completely. When push comes to shove these two have disappeared more often than not. They both had purple patches during the season, and they both faded away. 

At this point I see no reason to keep both Berenguer or Luna around when we need a true creative attacking mid like a Diamanti that can consistently influence games. 

City sides have had too many passengers in recent years and it really shows in big games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well we came close but we just weren’t good enough. It hurts. They were always going to be a different team with Grant. We beat them without him but he’s a quality RB and it showed tonight. Brattan with the assist stings too. It was a nice cross and we lacked it all night.  

Thought the goal should’ve been disallowed so I can’t complain. Thought Grant could’ve been carded for the two shirt lifts though. Thought Beath was ordinary. Thought Harper was unbearable. Whatever. 

Feel sorry for the guys. I know they gave it everything and being in the hub wouldn’t have been easy. Having said that, a few of them didn’t really turn up tonight. Wales tries but really lacks the quality necessary to be a good, consistent player. Maclaren was invisible and when he doesn’t get it to his feet or head in the box he is a passenger. Best finisher in the league but he can’t link up play. Noone was frustrating all night. For a player who has PL experience he too often makes the wrong decision or doesn’t have the skill to make the right one. Berenguer was disappointing. Luna works harder than any other player but isn’t a match winner. Brillante got better the longer it went on, Metcalfe worked into it and threatened a bit. The other subs were non-existent or didn’t do much when they had it, except for Galloway, who came closest. Don’t blame them though, they’re inexperienced kids coming into a GF.

Our defence really held up well. Curt would be annoyed with his headers. Had three and couldn’t make any count. Glover outstanding.

Please don’t leave Erick. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TJV said:

I agree completely. When push comes to shove these two have disappeared more often than not. They both had purple patches during the season, and they both faded away. 

At this point I see no reason to keep both Berenguer or Luna around when we need a true creative attacking mid like a Diamanti that can consistently influence games. 

City sides have had too many passengers in recent years and it really shows in big games

Think Luna still has another year for what it’s worth, I think he will be much better pairing up with a dominating creative midfielder.

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well we came close but we just weren’t good enough. It hurts. They were always going to be a different team with Grant. We beat them without him but he’s a quality RB and it showed tonight. Brattan with the assist stings too. It was a nice cross and we lacked it all night.  

Thought the goal should’ve been disallowed so I can’t complain. Thought Grant could’ve been carded for the two shirt lifts though. Thought Beath was ordinary. Thought Harper was unbearable. Whatever. 

Feel sorry for the guys. I know they gave it everything and being in the hub wouldn’t have been easy. Having said that, a few of them didn’t really turn up tonight. Wales tries but really lacks the quality necessary to be a good, consistent player. Maclaren was invisible and when he doesn’t get it to his feet or head in the box he is a passenger. Best finisher in the league but he can’t link up play. Noone was frustrating all night. For a player who has PL experience he too often makes the wrong decision or doesn’t have the skill to make the right one. Berenguer was disappointing. Luna works harder than any other player but isn’t a match winner. Brillante got better the longer it went on, Metcalfe worked into it and threatened a bit. The other subs were non-existent or didn’t do much when they had it, except for Galloway, who came closest. Don’t blame them though, they’re inexperienced kids coming into a GF.

Our defence really held up well. Curt would be annoyed with his headers. Had three and couldn’t make any count. Glover outstanding.

Spot on and well written. I’m glad I’m not the only one who admits to Jmac biggest disadvantage. What you’ve pointed is the reason Europe is a level to far for him, a lot more is required nowadays from a modern striker than just being a fox in the box. A simple one two goes often more wrong than right, which is costly in the matches when your attacking partners aren’t in the game.

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Great assessment. 

I can't agree more regarding our visa players.

Compared to the likes of LeFondre, Barbarouses and Ninkovic, our attacking visa players are so uninspiring it hurts. Not a single match winner amongst them, or a player that can turn a match on its head with a bit of brilliance like Berisha, Diamanti or Castro. 

In truth, we haven't had a longterm visa player on that level since 2015/16, yes we have had guys like McKormack and Bart, but far to many players like Budzinski, Cabrera, Luna, Berenguer Colazo etc. All good 'technical' players tidy on the ball, but can they take a game by the scruff of the neck? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Need to throw everything we have at convincing Mombaerts to stay. Cant let this momentum slip away

Absolutely. 

Change of management team would just put us back to another rebuild. 

We have a very balanced squad and maybe 2 or 3 changes and we should be challenging again and also being able to compete in ASIA, if Eric walks we can kiss that goodbye. 

Now I get that PK id highly regarded and has served a decent apprenticeship but we have a championship winning coach with Eric.

1 hour ago, neio said:

Even though I was yelling at my TV at the time, I'd hate for Grant to be sent off for that in a GF after scoring. I know what the laws say, but he hardly went over the top

I agree, but if you're going to disallow our goal on an even more technical basis you can't help feel stiffed.

• Like 1

Did we get a free kick in our attacking third at all? We had a superior aerial threat but everytime we had a player go down Beath called play on whereas LeFondre was keen to hit the deck whenever someone went near him to earn a free kick. Grant accumulated countless fouls throughout the game that could've been another card, McGowan lashing out at Wales while shielding the ball wasn't even looked at, it was just a typical clusterfuck Beath performance.

How the fuck was he picked to officiate the Grand Final when Alireza Faghani has been the standout ref all season and Beath is constantly involved in controversial decisions. Even Alex King would've been more worthy to have been picked.

Was absolutely shattered last night to the point I just couldn't post - felt so empty and numb after.

Still frustrated this morning other than to say that I feel I can at least put things in perspective.

Thought we had the better of the first 45, smurfs had the better of the second 45 and that extra time is always a crab shoot.

The disallowed goal is annoying but the fact Wales is in Redmayne's line of sight means (to me at least) there is some interference.  Of course Wales isn't going for the ball and I doubt he was intending to interfere but not the first (and not the last) time this will be given.  In any case, both Walers and Redmayne can go get fucked.

In terms of the Le Fondre dive, the angle from the main broadcast camera made it look like there was no contact.  Le Fondre looked like his legs went to jello and he dropped like he had been shot, so he and the whole of Sydney can go get fucked (particularly Corica for being a entitled silver spooned cunt).

None to phased either way about the Grant second yellow.  Have always thought booking a player for getting excited after scoring is kinda bullshit.  That said, don't think Grant knew too much of the goal and just got lucky.  So Grant can go get fucked.

Can't believe the bullshit with Atkinson getting booked 3 minutes from time for a foul that wasn't there when Metcalfe gets chopped two minutes later in the exact same spot for nothing, nada, zilch.  Chris Breath you cheating cunt rag.  Go get fucked.

In saying all of that, more than anything else I want to say congrats to the boys in City blue for there determination, dedication through this whole pandemic.  They have troopered on and set the foundations for a great future.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Gutted but proud of our season. 

Absolutely. Be proud of the lads who gave it everything they had over a very difficult season.

Just didn't make a trophy, but we're in the ACL as a consolation.

IMO we need just one game-changing visa forward to get better from here.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. Be proud of the lads who gave it everything they had over a very difficult season.

Just didn't make a trophy, but we're in the ACL as a consolation.

IMO we need just one game-changing visa forward to get better from here.

You can't help but feel Susaeta would have been the game-changer imo. Was just starting to hit his straps pre-COVID and would have greatly benefitted from the mini preseason in lockdown 1.
Certainly a vast improvement quality wise on what we had in that position.