Melbourne Football

The Semi Final thread-26th August, 5pm

kingofhearts

9 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The issue is not tired bodies so much but in having the skillsets to score when teh opportunity presents. If Diamanti is given enough space he has proven that he can score. On our side we have golden boot winner Jamie Maclaren...

Ftfy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

GAME DAY BITCHES! FIRE UP!! 🥅

Can someone please clarify something with certainty for me, is it the Premiers or the Champions who get the Automatic ACL spot?

The AFC dont really care about finals. 

Premiers get group stage (Sydney), 2nd place get playoff spot (Us) and champions get a playoff spot (possibly WU or Perth) but if either us of Sydney are champions it’ll go to 3rd place (Brisbane because Wellington are an OFC club). 

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname

Only a few hours away now. 

Been said before but this is WU’s 8th match in 31 days. They will be match fit and pretty sharp on account of playing a lot of minutes but obviously won’t have the energy levels left to really run out 90 plus minutes. We have had really good preparation with 4 matches in 25 days and a week break. 

Need to contain Diamanti. He can change the game with one pass so need to check him closely. Berisha is always a threat and would love a goal against us and Burgess can be a tricky customer. Rudan will probably not change his set-up so we should still win that midfield battle. 

We probably go with our normal back three/four. Berenguer and Noone to come back and I’ll go with Wales on the right. Press them high, force a few turnovers, jag an early one.

Bing bang boom 1-2 loss. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Need to contain Diamanti. He can change the game with one pass so need to check him closely. Berisha is always a threat and would love a goal against us and Burgess can be a tricky customer. Rudan will probably not change his set-up so we should still win that midfield battle. 

Pffft...we have an in-form Italian Brillante in the middle of the park to contain their has-been Italian Diamanti 😅 I'm more worried about Burgess running rings around Delbridge...

We should still punch out a 3-2 win, their legs will be tired from Sunday whereas Windbichler, Noone and Maclaren will be cherry ripe 🍒

Really feeling the nerves now. Reminds me of the 2007 AFL Prelim Final v Collingwood. We were so far superior in every way to them, but because of our history, you didnt know what was coming - and we nearly blew it...

Anyway, from what I have seen of them, I have noted that their key player is Burgess. Yeah Diamante is obviously a beast and can change a game in the blink of an eye - and you can always count on Berisha to make a prick of himself too. But their attacking tempo and build up for mine, comes from Burgess.

..but having said that, he needs Diamante to tick as well and what will go a long way to deciding this game is how we deal with Diamante. He is their most dangerous and attacking player and can win the match for them, but at 85 years old and with so many quick games in a row, he should also be the most exploitable. Keep him honest on the pitch and holes will appear and that will expose their fragile defence.

Go City!

• Like 1

A/ looks like the whole team, in particular Berenguer, have swallowed a bucket of quicksand.

B/ any chance Atkinson can stop losing the ball in a dribble every time he cuts inside? Will get cut open very soon if he doesn't stop. Doing my head in.

In for a fight.

An absoloute dogshit performance.

Outside of kicking the ball long we have no other attacking avenues. We can't string two passes together over halfway, our wings and our midfielders are invisible.

Noone and Wales have just been terrible, constantly over dribbling and missing players with their passess/crosses.

Thank god for our defenders and Glover making some nice saves, we were completely outplayed that half.

What the fuck has happened to frenchy as well? Out of all the fucking games to go back into his shell he has to pick this one ffs

Wake the fuck up cunts, if nothing changes in the first 10 minutes I'd be subbing on Metcalfe for french on Luna. 

It's got heartbreak written all over it. Any time Diamanti gets it he turns and slices us open with a perfect pass. He Burgess and Risdon are putting on a clinic. If Berisha fires up, and we don't pull something out, the pressure will eventually get to us.

• Thanks 1

Look it’s a fascinating match so far. Pasquali looking a million bucks and Burgess and Diamanti making things very difficult. Pain is getting in behind for those switches far too easily, so need an adjustment. Risdon looks up for it.

They probably tire as the game goes on but they’ll use subs and if they have momentum, we can’t just rely on that. 

Really need to press high and force those turnovers, Calver is good for a couple more.

• Like 1