Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

No point really talking about sacking JA any more, it will happen at some point, whether the board do it ASAP and give us some chance to turn the season around or we keep losing and it's done at the end of the season.

Who would you like to see take over?

I wonder if we have any chance of landing Bosko Gjurovski. Was linked with the Victory job before they gave it to Ange, and apparently also had talks with another A-League club at the time, so maybe we have a chance, or maybe the reason he wasn't appointed at either of those 2 teams is because he wasn't interested enough in coming to the A-League. Currently he is linked with the Macedonian NT job, but if he doesn't get that then I think he is someone we should sound out for sure.

Looking at more realistic / more affordable options, I wonder if Milicic would be interested in coming back? Probably too much of an embarrassment for the board to go for him, and he probably wouldn't be happy about being snubbed previously. I don't think we should take a risk again on someone inexperienced, so wouldn't be too keen on this option.

Return of JVS? He did a lot better than JA, and brought through a lot of youth that we made good $$$ from selling. I still wouldn't be too keen on him either though, even if it's at a much cheaper salary this time. Though appointing him again is exactly the kind of move I expect from our club.

although JVS isnt exactly the best 'coach' so to speak, he kept us raking in the dollars from transfers form players he developed. 

but then the question is, do you want to win football matches or run a business? 

however, if it is mid season, imo we must bring in someone with A-League experience, who knows the other teams, and a reasonable understanding of the quality of our own playing squad. 

anyone ffs aloisi will be alright in time but his reputation has been dragged through the shit which is disappointing but we need a coach to help our name because he hasn't fkn done it 1st season for wsw and aloisi says there the most organized in the league ffs he has to go for now.

I'd be happy with us appointing Vidmar. Seems plausible with the change of NT manager, could be a few reasons for him wanting out eg maybe he thought he should have been given the NT job and now is unhappy at being overlooked, or maybe Ange doesn't want him as his assistant.

Said it elsewhere, but Vidmar's time as Olyroos manager was a disaster. Side couldn't score in a brothel. Wouldn't be a fan of having him anywhere near our top job tbh.

Mark Rudan is the highly rated up and comer in coaching circles. Just took Sydney United to top the NSWPL and then top of NPL as National Champs. Would be a good investment should we get to him before Sydney FC does.

Arthur Papas is another up and comer who knows the club. But hasn't had much success in the I-League.

Culina, Miron, Kosmina would be a step back for the club.

JVS would be suitable as an interim manager I think considering the club did offer him a contract to stay before he turned it down. Maybe Gerard Nus could step up. Outside of that there isn't much else I can think of atm.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 4

Said it elsewhere, but Vidmar's time as Olyroos manager was a disaster.

That is the key to being a successful manager in the A-League, just look at other NT failures Postecoglou and Arnold, even Farina did quite for a while well with Brisbane.

• Like 1

That is the key to being a successful manager in the A-League, just look at other NT failures Postecoglou and Arnold, even Farina did quite for a while well with Brisbane.

09/10 Adelaide ends up last. Then gets appointed young socceroos coach.

09/10 Adelaide ends up last. Then gets appointed young socceroos coach.

AnNd now that he has failed with the Olyroos, he is ready to dominate the A-League.

I'm throwing Gary Phillips name into the hat. Yes, the annoying commentator guy. Gary won two NSL titles as a player and one as a coach. He is now working as technical director of Football Queensland.

Damian Mori is another name who has won 5 titles with Adelaide City.

Edited by Portillo

Im in agreement with FB, 

Mark Rudan to be MHFC new Boss from 2014 season . JVS will probably be Interim coach if / when JA goes prior to end of season ......

On that note - 24th Nov Jets away ..... This has to be "D" Day for JA .
There squad is smaller and not as talented as MHFC ... Loose to them (regardless of SFC result) and its curtains in My opinion 

• Like 1

There's some decent managers out of work in England and Europe that haven't been in a job for a while now.

If the club was serious, which they have proven with the Aloisi decision they are not they will get a guy with proven history. I think even Rudan falls under that but there are senior experienced guys there that would be beneficial.

We have a decent squad. One that shouldn't be last. We need a new manager. More pressing for me though is other positions at the club but that's for another time.

Also we need a finisher. DMAC should do the right thing and leave he is injury prone. Ditto Germano which opens a Visa Spot. We then launch for a new striker.

New manager and striker would help regain the season which is already slowly slipping away.

Thought Retre was good as was Kalmar and Mauk when they came on. People can say what they want about JVS but he would be starting these guys and developing them.

I wouldn't be against him coming in for the rest of the year with the mandate of getting this clubs principles back on track.

• Like 2

Rudan is a one year State League Coach, of course when he can pump his own tyres in the media it helps but he is another JA in the making!

Milicic is a standout once again, well done JD on this stuff up! This guy was the only option when JVS left and look at WSW today and know he is a major part of this!

Pappas is a coach who has survived longer in a very tough Asian country than any other Aussie coach has plus has done what Rudan did already and more, including a very thorough education, aus youth teams, AIS and A-League experience!

Miron & Kosmina last two jobs in local leagues almost yielded relegations for each respective clubs! If we go that way close the doors today!

This club is dead to me with all its political decisions!

Vidmar = 0-0 boring!!

Okon can't even form a coherent sentence without saying 'uummm' half a dozen times. And his record with the jnr national teams is abysmal.

I'm assuming you didn't see the U20 world cup?

The one where we finished bottom of our group and he left out Amini and the team couldn't open up opposition defences?

His coaching record is abysmal, yet he's still linked with every coaching job because the FFA decided he was one of their chosen ones.

Bielsa. It'll cost serious money but he's currently unemployed. His English is poor but I'll personally learn spanish and offer my services as interpreter. Pep Guardiola calls him the best coach he has coached against, he has a record of youth development, he's a perfectionist and tactically brilliant, a good motivator of players (if you fit into his system) and he'll provide Australian football with the next quantum leap in its development and a lasting legacy of excellence for our club.

• Like 3

Bielsa. It'll cost serious money but he's currently unemployed. His English is poor but I'll personally learn spanish and offer my services as interpreter. Pep Guardiola calls him the best coach he has coached against, he has a record of youth development, he's a perfectionist and tactically brilliant, a good motivator of players (if you fit into his system) and he'll provide Australian football with the next quantum leap in its development and a lasting legacy of excellence for our club.

Doubt our club would even know who he was...

I'm with you. Shake up the league. This guy would provide us that.

I'm sure that they know who he is, it would need deep pockets though, very deep, but as has been pointed out with the salary cap in place for everyone its only in areas like coaching that clubs can take a late advantage over their rivals. It would be breathtakingly audacious and a real statement of intent to leave mediocracy behind.

Serious suggestion. Phil Moss. Spent 3 years under Arnie, would be quite a big contributor imo. Mariners have been around the top for years, which already puts him above JA in that he knows how to win

watching him on 'The Code: Life with the Mariners' he struck me as someone who wasn't prepared to accept anything but the best. Very fiery and passionate, perfect as an assistant. Not too sure how he'd go tactically having to put his emotions on hold to evaluate the finer details of a game as it unfolds.

And we'd have Fozzy and Les fawning all over us for a couple of weeks. Our club needs a serious circuit breaker to refloat our ship. We've recruited well player wise but like SFC and MV have found recently, just focusing on players (like ADP and Harry) neglects arguably the most important ingredient, the coach. Get the coach right and they will build you a solid foundation for the future. Get that wrong and you're fookin' rudderless.

• Like 1

There's some decent managers out of work in England and Europe that haven't been in a job for a while now.

If the club was serious, which they have proven with the Aloisi decision they are not they will get a guy with proven history. I think even Rudan falls under that but there are senior experienced guys there that would be beneficial.

We have a decent squad. One that shouldn't be last. We need a new manager. More pressing for me though is other positions at the club but that's for another time.

Also we need a finisher. DMAC should do the right thing and leave he is injury prone. Ditto Germano which opens a Visa Spot. We then launch for a new striker.

New manager and striker would help regain the season which is already slowly slipping away.

Thought Retre was good as was Kalmar and Mauk when they came on. People can say what they want about JVS but he would be starting these guys and developing them.

I wouldn't be against him coming in for the rest of the year with the mandate of getting this clubs principles back on track.

And we'd have Fozzy and Les fawning all over us for a couple of weeks. Our club needs a serious circuit breaker to refloat our ship. We've recruited well player wise but like SFC and MV have found recently, just focusing on players (like ADP and Harry) neglects arguably the most important ingredient, the coach. Get the coach right and they will build you a solid foundation for the future. Get that wrong and you're fookin' rudderless.

I agree. The most powerful argument I see for a change is that we need the circuit breaker, something to stop the downwards spiral.

IMO the tactic should be to move JA aside, and bring in Palatsides or Nus to guide us through the rest of this season in caretaker mode. Both have more experience than JA, and JvS is there for advice as required. Couldn't be worse than what's happening at the moment.

This would enable the club to search for the right replacement. Without haste. The likes of Vidmar and Kosmina would just be stop-gaps and are not likely to take the club forward the way it needs to go. No point in appointing someone like that. We need to demonstrate that we aspire to something other than being just another A-League club. IMO we do need to bring in someone who's going to ruthlessly go right through everything we do on the football side - from top to bottom. Like the idea of someone such as Bielsa - a true football manager.

Also want to see us return to our fundamental value of developing and promoting young players, which is one of the principal reasons many of us joined up with Heart in the first place.

• Like 1

A well credentialed coach could do some really positive things for our membership amongst the knowldegable uncommitted football fans in Melbourne. I'm talking about the many thousands of serious Euro and EPL followers who reckon the HAL is still below par. If we got a Bielsa like person it would be a great statement by our club. Just do it (I'd like to think we also had a positive plan for JA and not let him burn).

• Like 1

A well credentialed coach could do some really positive things for our membership amongst the knowldegable uncommitted football fans in Melbourne. I'm talking about the many thousands of serious Euro and EPL followers who reckon the HAL is still below par. If we got a Bielsa like person it would be a great statement by our club. Just do it (I'd like to think we also had a positive plan for JA and not let him burn).

Wholeheartedly agree with your point here. Again, a reason why we should shuffle internally at this stage rather than "sack" JA and hire another coach immediately. Stand JA aside to the NYL team and move Palatsides up to a first team role. At least offer JA a role rather than permanently damage - even end - his coaching career. If handled properly it could benefit all parties.

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree with your point here. Again, a reason why we should shuffle internally at this stage rather than "sack" JA and hire another coach immediately. Stand JA aside to the NYL team and move Palatsides up to a first team role. At least offer JA a role rather than permanently damage - even end - his coaching career. If handled properly it could benefit all parties.

I dunno, I think that we need a clear return to our values and this time develop a clear plan for a clear coaching succession by adequately training our coach. Palatsidis has had some first team coaching here and in Greece but think what a few years of development under someone like Bielsa would do for both he and JA. I think that we should retain JA and not sack him, he will be a good coach in the future, the problem is that we can't afford to wait as a club

Edited by belaguttman

A well credentialed coach could do some really positive things for our membership amongst the knowldegable uncommitted football fans in Melbourne. I'm talking about the many thousands of serious Euro and EPL followers who reckon the HAL is still below par. If we got a Bielsa like person it would be a great statement by our club. Just do it (I'd like to think we also had a positive plan for JA and not let him burn).

I dunno, I think that we need a clear return to our values and this time develop a clear plan for a clear coaching succession by adequately training our coach. Palatsidis has had some first team coaching here and in Greece but think what a few years of development under someone like Bielsa would do for both he and JA. I think that we should retain JA and not sack him, he will be a good coach in the future, the problem is that we can't afford to wait as a club

Agree with all.