Melbourne Football

Round 6 v Sydney FC - AAMI Park Friday 16th

Mstrkrft

A-League preview: Melbourne Heart v Sydney FC

By Dejan Kalinic | GOAL.com

The Game:

The Heart could use what Sydney managed last week – a win – to ease the pressure on a coach under growing scrutiny. John Aloisi's men are winless this season and their last victory came in February – at home to the Sky Blues. Frank Farina was under pressure heading into his side's clash against the Melbourne Victory, but they came away with a hard-fought 3-2 win despite playing over an hour with 10 men. The Heart are also without a goal in their past three matches and have scored in just one game this campaign. Aloisi and the Heart desperately need a win or the pressure will only grow.

The big issue:

Heart – scoring goals by finishing chances. Aloisi is adamant and right when he says his side are creating enough opportunities to win matches, but if they continue to miss the target their goalless run will continue. Malta international Michael Mifsud has threatened, as have David Williams, Golgol Mebrahtu and Iain Ramsay, but the Heart need goals and they need to test the opposition goalkeeper more often.

Sydney – just whether the Sky Blues can reproduce a similar performance to the one they managed against arch-rivals the Victory. After left-back Marc Warren was sent off, Sydney scored a penalty through Alessandro Del Piero and then held on resolutely as the Victory were unable to break them down. The performance came as the pressure on coach Farina grew and they need to build on the emotionally and physically draining win.

The game breaker:

Alessandro Del Piero – the Italian superstar celebrated his 39th birthday with a winning goal against the Victory. He was fouled 12 times during the clash and has drawn criticism for going to ground too easily. It was his clever body positioning which drew many of the fouls and he showed his class throughout. Del Piero may be yet to reach peak fitness, but his ability to break games open in the attacking third makes him dangerous.

Prediction: Heart 2-1 Sydney

A goal must surely come for the Heart and who better to score one against than a team which has never won at AAMI Park. In seven trips to the Melbourne venue, the Sky Blues have drawn five times and lost on two other occasions. The Heart's last win came against Sydney at home in February this year. An early goal would settle the Heart's and Aloisi's nerves and Sydney's only clean sheet this season came in Round 1 against a poor Newcastle. After a tough run to start the season, the Heart must take advantage of their next few fixtures. Harry Kewell may still be unavailable, but the hosts have enough attacking talent to at least get on the scoresheet against the Sky Blues.

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/league-preview-melbourne-heart-v-sydney-fc-041520133--spt.html

Edited by Murfy1

Last week, Golgol was the player used as the main target for long balls, either to run on to if possible, or to hold up and play in Williams and Mifsud. And I thought he did it pretty well. And Williams and Mifsud both looked dangerous at times without mananging to find that cutting edge.

Normally I think Kewell, Kalmar or Macallister would be used for that target role. (Actually, it would've been pretty useful to have Macallister on the bench last week to bring on in the last 20 minutes so that we could have a bit of height for balls into the box. It was no mystery why we played short corners all night given the Wanderers big defenders and our small forwards. Without Kisnorbo as well, even both central defenders are a bit undersized.)

But Kalmar has been returning to fitness gradually since being injured. Kewell and Macallister being unavailable also limits Aloisi's options. Mauk has only a couple of short appearances at this stage, so to start him in such an key position against a side that not only sets up so well defensively, but are also very physical, would've been a huge ask. Especially as we also had Retre starting his first game in midfield. I think the route Aloisi took was understandable, and as it turned out, the combination of Golgol, Williams and Mifsud looked reasonably promising, but not ultimately successful.

This week, I'd probaly start Kalmar and shift Williams to the wing. Kalmar may or may not be more effective, but it would reduce the need for so many long balls out to the right. We can either try releasing the quick wingers into space, or play through Kalmar in a central position, where he can hopefully play in Ramsay on the left a bit more, as well as Mifsud and Williams or Dugandzic.

• Like 2

Williams to be dropped completely, let Kalmar and Mauk have a go in #10 seeing as they do more 10 minutes then Williams does in 90.

Bring another one of youth players up for fuck sake and drop Williams, he has been shocking for 3 straight seasons and is useless in 99% of the games he has played.

But yet again, having JA as a manager, dont see him letting more than 3-4 young kids on the game day squad.

But, we can't drop Williams, we don't want to disappoint those coming out specifically to "see the stars collide"...

Screen_Shot_2013_11_13_at_5_47_42_PM.png

Plus - hes been our 'Man of The Match' twice already this year... according to the big screen at the game.

Thinking of who should play up front, as a side thought, can anyone remind me of who scored our last headed goal? I might have a face slap moment but for now I can't recall seeing one for ages.

Vrankovic pre season. Before that, Tadic maybe?

The last one I remember in a competitive game was Tadic against Adelaide in January, Vrankovic scored a header against oakliegh in pre season to.

Edited by Ritzman

Sydney will be playing two midfielders in defence, LB and CB due to suspensions and injuries. What a joke if we drop points. Before the season started and everyone was saying top four easy this season, I was saying JA had till round 10! That is looking spot on if we drop points the next couple of weeks.

Well, I gave him until round 6 which isn't far away. I suspect we will have the first coaching casualty after this weekend. Unless we get a draw which might drag things out a little bit longer.

And if you think this is a bit of oneupsmanship (which may well prove incorrect), perhaps you might be interested in this video from 49:30. (The rest is quite funny as well).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX87ipNTiIY

Edited by Peter

Hopefully kisnorbo and Miglroni are back. As much as I love paddy g, every time he gets the ball he tries to do some bullshit long ball. He might save you a goal or 2, but he'll always break your offensive flow.

You're right. Lost count how many long balls he dished out last game. But I wonder who instructs him to play the long ball? Hmmm.......

Last time I met you it was similar circumstances. It was the 24th of February. You looked good that day. We had fun. Since then I have lost you. I had many chances to see you again but you always slipped away from me. There is no reason why you're not going to be there this Firday. I would really like to see you again. I've missed you. If you really care about us, you can stay for a while. Especially when I'm not at home. Last time when I saw you away from home was again to similar circumstances as this Friday. For God's sake...come back to me....I'VE MISSED YOU!!!

• Like 6

Hopefully kisnorbo and Miglroni are back. As much as I love paddy g, every time he gets the ball he tries to do some bullshit long ball. He might save you a goal or 2, but he'll always break your offensive flow.

You're right. Lost count how many long balls he dished out last game. But I wonder who instructs him to play the long ball? Hmmm.......

Its probably he doesnt have the 'vision' for a short pass into the mid OR noone presents for a pass.

I don't really have a problem with him playing the long ball as he defends well which is his primary job. But he needs to keep his arms down sometimes. 

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2.Jeremy WALKER, 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Sam MITCHINSON, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 14.Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 18.David VRANKOVIC, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK , 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 25.Andrea MIGLIORINI

***Two to be omitted***

Ins: 5.Sam MITCHINSON (promoted), 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 4.Orlando ENGELAAR (Fractured tibia – long-term), 9.Dylan MACALLISTER (Hamstring – 3-5 weeks), 10.Harry Kewell (ankle – 2 weeks), 13.Jonatan GERMANO (Hamstring – 3 weeks), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (groin – 1-2 weeks) 24.Patrick KISNORBO (knee – 2 weeks).

Sydney FC Squad: 2.Seb RYALL, 5.Matt JURMAN, 6.Nikola PETKOVIC, 7.Brett EMERTON, 8.Pedj BOJIC, 10.Alessandro DEL PIERO, 11.Richard GARCIA, 14.Mitch MALLIA, 15.Terry MCFLYNN, 16.Joel CHIANESE, 19.Nicky CARLE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (GK), 21.Yairo YAU, 22.Ali ABBAS, 27.Chris NAUMOFF, 29.Alec UROSEVSKI 30.Anthony BOUZANIS (GK), 34.Aaron CALVER.

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 5.Matt JURMAN (promoted), 14.Mitch MALLIA (promoted), 15.Terry McFLYNN (promoted), 29.Alec UROSEVSKI (promoted) 30.Anthony Bouzanis (GK) (promoted), 34.Aaron CALVER (promoted).

Outs: 1.Ivan NECEVSKI (illness - 1 week), 3.Marc WARREN (suspension - 1 week), 13.Tiago CALVANO (suspension – 2 weeks), 28.Matt THOMPSON.