Melbourne Football

Mark Schwazer retires

n i k o

Doesn't add up, seemed he wanted to play at the next WC more than anything and now 7 months out he retires. Probably realised he won't be number 1 anymore now that he doesn't get game time.

Both Ryan and Langerak should be given chance in the lead up to the WC and whoever performs better gets the gig as the first choice.

Edited by Tesla

Both Langerak and Ryan are more than capable keepers.

Langerak's the better of the two, but Ryan is playing regularly in a decent league which is telling.

Should be a good battle!

Apparently Ange is using his Greek Connection to talk the Great Man out of retirement...

Peter+Zois+2011+12+League+Headshots+Team

• Like 2

Both Langerak and Ryan are more than capable keepers.

Langerak's the better of the two, but Ryan is playing regularly in a decent league which is telling.

Should be a good battle!

Apparently Ange is using his Greek Connection to talk the Great Man out of retirement...

Can confirm he coached one of my mates at representative level somewhere and apparently gets stuck right in.

Does anyone else get the feeling he was pushed/was told this would be his last squad?

Yep, he did retire the same day the squad was released. I'm guessing he was told the Costa Rica game was going to be his last and called it quits first. He does deserve to have a testimonial game though. Been a Socceroo longer than i've been alive

Edited by Tbitm

Does anyone else get the feeling he was pushed/was told this would be his last squad?

Yep, he did retire the same day the squad was released. I'm guessing he was told the Costa Rica game was going to be his last and called it quits first. He does deserve to have a testimonial game though. Been a Socceroo longer than i've been alive

no doubt he was informed that he wouldn't be going to Brazil ..... So Johnnie get a managerial position for scoring from a penalty , what will Mark get for saving two penalties ?????

Think Ryan will get the #1 jersey due to the fact he's brilliant with his feet and Ange will want to play out from the back. Remember him when they played us at home in his warm-up hitting Pasfield dead on the feet 100% of the time while our keepers where spraying balls from one side of the park to the other.

What a fantastic career the Schwarz has had!  If anyone defined the word "professional" it was him.  Rivalled by strong contenders in Bosnich and Kalac, his hard work and commitment left them both in the dust.

I reckon he almost singlehandedly got us to the 2010 world cup, with superb performance in a lacklustre side.  Whilst Johnny got the glory for the 2006 qualification (simply because he happened to be 5th in the shoot out list), it was the Schwarz who pulled off the saves that got us through that shoot out.

Schwarz I salute you.

• Like 1