Melbourne Football

RD4 Brisbane vs MHFC, Suncorp 5pm EST

cadete

Murdocca: Heart veterans must cure travel sickness

By Michael Huguenin

01/11/2013

A new arrival from Brisbane Roar but with years of experience, the combative midfielder says it is up to the senior players in John Aloisi's squad to ease the club's road woes

Massimo Murdocca has argued Melbourne Heart's newly-acquired veterans must lead the way as the club attempt to break their 19-game winless record outside Victoria.

Last week, Heart lost their first match outside their home state of the 2013-14 A-League season, going down 1-0 to Perth Glory and extending their abysmal record on the road, which stretches back to December 2011.

Heart will have another chance to break their drought outside Victoria on Sunday when they take on Brisbane Roar.

The concern for the Red and Whites, however, will be that they have only beaten the Roar in Brisbane once in their history - in their first trip to Suncorp Stadium.

But with the likes of Robbie Wielaert (34), Michael Mifsud (32) and Harry Kewell (35) having all joined Heart this season, Murdocca reckons the injection of experience should help the team succeed away from home sooner rather than later.

"The new boys that have come in, myself and a few others, we're the ones that have to drive that," Murdocca said on Friday.

The 29-year-old midfielder, who joined Heart from the Roar before this season, said the Red and Whites seemed mentally affected by their away form in their loss to Perth last week.

"I think a lot of the boys were thinking about that record, to be honest, that away record and that's something we've got to stamp out very quickly," Murdocca said. 

"This week gives us another opportunity to do that. 

"You know, it all comes down to the boys being positive and believing in themselves."

Heart head coach John Aloisi denied his team are mentally fragile outside Victoria and preferred to focus on what went right at nib Stadium in Round 3 as his team continued their strong defensive start to the season.

"Even last week, we didn't perform as well as we would have liked and the chances that Perth created were off set-pieces and the goal they scored was a mistake that we made," Aloisi said. 

"So we know defensively we're strong, we just need to improve with the ball now."

Aloisi added he will only take Kewell to Brisbane if he is ready to start Sunday's game as the attacking midfielder continues to recover from a whiplash injury suffered in the Melbourne derby, while Patrick Gerhardt will replace Patrick Kisnorbo (knee) in central defence.

"He (Kewell) trained the other day and we'll see how he pulls up (after Friday's session)," the 37-year-old coach said. 

"We won't risk it if there's a slight risk because we want to make sure that when he gets back he stays back. 

"So I think it's more of a 50-50 at the moment."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/11/01/4374620/murdocca-heart-veterans-must-cure-travel-sickness

Edited by Murfy1

Michael 'The Mosquito' Mifsud primed for big performance for Melbourne Heart against Brisbane Roar

Marco Monteverde  The Courier-Mail  November 02, 2013

THEY call him "The Mosquito" and theres no doubt Melbourne Heart striker Michael Mifsud will be buzzing around the Brisbane Roar defence on Sunday at Suncorp Stadium as he attempts to score his first A-League goal.

Australia is the latest stop for the 32-year-old captain of the Maltese national captain, who has also played club football in Germany, England and Norway, where he was a teammate of injured Brisbane fullback Shane Stefanutto at Lillestrom.

At just 165cm, the diminutive Mifsud’s speed has constantly troubled defences, including at international level, with the attacker having scored 38 goals in 101 appearances for Malta.

National duty meant a delayed start to his A-League career, with Mifsud missing the Heart's opening two matches of the season.

But having made his A-League debut in the Heart's 1-0 away loss to Perth Glory last Sunday, Mifsud is desperate for a run of games, even if it means missing out on Malta's friendly later this month against the Faroe Islands.

"I know Malta have another international coming up, but I think I will skip that because we have important games here," Mifsud told The Courier-Mail.

"It's always nice to play for the national team and it would be another cap and who knows, I might have scored another goal, but the club needs me here.

"I was disappointed I missed the first two games of the season, and now hopefully I'll have a good run.

"I just have to focus on my football here. Most important now is the A-League and the Heart."

Mifsud has proved an instant hit with his teammates, according to the Heart's former Roar midfielder Massimo Murdocca.

"The Mosquito is a great character and we get along well, and not just because we’re the same height," joked pocket rocket Murdocca.

"He's full of energy, he's very bubbly and he's another leader."

Mifsud admitted coming to the A-League was a huge decision for him and his family.

"We're far away from our own family, but I have a contract till May and I will give all," he said.

"The Heart make me feel very welcome. It's like I've been here for ages.

"The A-League is completely different to European football and I still have to adapt myself to it, but I believe in my teammates, and I think we have a good team.

"It's our aim to get into the top six and then go from there, but we have to work hard to get there."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/michael-the-mosquito-misfud-primed-for-big-performance-for-melbourne-heart-against-brisbane-roar/story-fnk6pqhd-1226751581266

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

What annoys me is if we lose, which we are likely to, JA still won't be sacked.

And if we win, some idiot is going to make a post about how great JA is and people need to stop calling for his sacking etc.

Either way it's shit.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Michael 'The Mosquito' Mifsud primed for big performance for Melbourne Heart against Brisbane Roar

Marco Monteverde  The Courier-Mail  November 02, 2013

"It's our aim to get into the top six and then go from there, but we have to work hard to get there."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/michael-the-mosquito-misfud-primed-for-big-performance-for-melbourne-heart-against-brisbane-roar/story-fnk6pqhd-1226751581266

FFS!

Don't read too much into these supposed quotes from players. Most of the time IMO it's just journos cobbling together a "story" when they really haven't got one.

Nevertheless it is frustrating when this "Finals" crap gets thrown around again.

It would be a perfectly acceptable target for a newly-promoted Championship side to to finish mid-table in the EPL in their first season in the big-time. But it's not an acceptable target to finish sixth in the A-League.

• Like 1

Walker not in the youth team, where is he?

I wish someone knew. If it carries on for too much longer, get the fans to make a banner/chant. We all want answers, but we're given nada. 

Do what Brisbane do with their B-R-I-S-B-A-N-E chant but instead to WE-WANT-WALKER. Such a loud and echoing chant, that'll really get the message across. 

Hmmm

So 2 players of our 18 man preliminary squad have to be dropped, and 3 players from that 18 man squad (Garuccio, Kalmar, Mitchinson) are playing for the NYL team the day before Sunday's match.

Since Kalmar is returning from injury, there's no chance he could feature, even on the bench, in tomorrow's squad. So Kewell must be in the squad that's playing tomorrow. And Aloisi said if Kewell travels to Brisbane he'll start, so I guess he must be starting tomorrow.

Also, our squad will be 1 player short tomorrow, unless someone like Garuccio or Mitchinson plays in the youth team AND feature's in the senior's team's squad tomorrow. If either player was taken to Brisbane, that player would definitely start on the bench, but still it would be a pretty strange thing to expect a player to feature in 2 matches over 2 days.

60 minutes for the youth team then sitting on the bench shouldn't be too much for most professional footballers.

Why not play Vrankovic in the NYL game and bring a fully fit Mitchinson to Brisbane, or vice versa? Or why not select Walker for the Brisbane game, and not include Garuccio in the preliminary squad in the first place (as we'll almost certainly have 2 wingers on the bench anyway).

Puzzling choices IMO. 

I agree that we seem to be all over the place with our match squad selections. Surely individual players, and the team, have a better chance of performing well when they can settle into some sort of rhythm or pattern.

I have drawn the conclusion it's because they don't know what they're doing.