Melbourne Football

Deep Down The Ranks Of European Football

Young Polak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool page I've been following for a while, has all sorts of leagues included but majority are English clubs

"The Away End"

if anyone is interested here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-away-end/127204494121281

1470229_232846206890442_1040203590_n.jpg

Luton @ Alfreton

1452140_229500687224994_1719477649_n.jpg

FC United @ Droylsden

1441462_223888337786229_1805260678_n.jpg

Boro at Burton 2011

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will always have a great love for my hometown club, Hitchin Town F.C., in the Southern Football League Premier Division (the seventh tier of English football). In particular I feel strongly for their ground, Top Field. One of the oldest football grounds in the country (dating back to the 1860s), it was home to one of the first ever FA Cup matches, in the very first round of the inaugural competition, playing against Crystal Palace - they of the Premier League, these days. On two sides it is still surrounded by wooden stands, which I am led to believe is now highly illegal in football and therefore possibly unique - apparently they were allowed to keep the stands simply because they couldn't afford to replace them. The "stadium" is also unique in that it is owned by the Cow Commoners, which is a medieval farmers guild who owned right of passage on the land where the ground was built. Nowadays the Cow Commoners are entirely anachronistic, and I am not joking when I say that the only reason they still exist is because they own the ground, and the only reason they still hold meetings is to periodically attempt to sell the land to property developers.

hitchin_town.jpg

260841.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...