Melbourne Football

City vs Geelong United Wednesday 19th August, Jubilee Stadium

fensaddler

If wellington don't win tonight, than I think we have to guys like najjarine, Griffiths, Galloway and metcalfe some proper minutes before finals. 

If Wellington get the job done and we have to get a point, it's business as usual with probably same 11 except Noone as Adelaide game

Now we know that this is a dead rubber for us, this is the team I'd put out

Glover

Atkinson - Delbridge - Good - Galloway

Griffiths

Metcalfe - Luna

Wales - Maclaren - Najjarine 

Take no risks on Windbichler and Florin. And give players who may be needed in finals so much needed minutes like Galloway, metcalfe, Griffiths and najjarine 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neio said:

Glover

Griffiths

Metcalfe - Luna

Take no risks on Windbichler and Florin. And give players who may be needed in finals so much needed minutes like Galloway, metcalfe, Griffiths and najjarine 

I'd like to see one or two of the fringe players given some minutes too. This shouts for an Abdulahi cameo off the bench. Nothing to lose, have a crack. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neio said:

Glover

Griffiths

Metcalfe - Luna

I'd like to see one or two of the fringe youth players given some minutes too. This shouts for an Abdulahi cameo off the bench. Nothing to lose, have a crack. 

21 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm all for putting kids on the bench, I just think we should keep a close to standard starting 11, as we have played 2 games in 5 months. Just keep things ticking over without taking unnecessary risks 

Agrees, plus we gotta make sure Macca gets the golden boot! We can use 5 subs so just get everyone off at 70’ or so and give Colakovski, Abdulahi etc. a run. 

38 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'd like to see one or two of the fringe youth players given some minutes too. This shouts for an Abdulahi cameo off the bench. Nothing to lose, have a crack. 

Woupd love to see Abdulahi get a run off the bench. Kid has got some serious talent.

10 hours ago, malloy said:

Woupd love to see Abdulahi get a run off the bench. Kid has got some serious talent.

Just somebody on the wing really, show us what they can do. Mombearts doesn’t seem to have any faith in the bench with ever so late substitutions and by leaving Wales on the ground.

14 hours ago, neio said:

I'm all for putting kids on the bench, I just think we should keep a close to standard starting 11, as we have played 2 games in 5 months. Just keep things ticking over without taking unnecessary risks 

This.

we’d be insane to drop players who have hardly played a competitive game in months ahead of the most important games of the season.

Id expect a wise head like Erik to field his best XI and his strongest bench.

23 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

This.

we’d be insane to drop players who have hardly played a competitive game in months ahead of the most important games of the season.

Id expect a wise head like Erik to field his best XI and his strongest bench.

Absolutely. Also, to do otherwise is not fair to the other teams jockeying for finals places with WU.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. Also, to do otherwise is not fair to the other teams jockeying for finals places with WU.

Dont think its our problem what happens to the other sides tbh.

In saying that i think its academic anyway when theres no home finals in a hub. Theres not much notable difference this season between any of the 3-6 teams imo so it really wont matter to WU where they finish.

Imo it will be them that field the 2nd XI with their elim just 4 days later and nothing really to play for

• Like 2

Are crowds banned for a-league games? Other professional sports running in Sydney ATM have crowds and yet every game we've played (even against Sydney) their was no crowd.

It'd be nice to see some spectators during the finals, even though their wouldn't be many.

Edited by kingofhearts

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

Are crowds banned for a-league games? Other professional sports running in Sydney ATM have crowds and yet every game we've played (even against Sydney) their was no crowd.

It'd be nice to see some spectators during the finals, even though their wouldn't be many.

Crowds allowed where the home team is from NSW. Otherwise not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What possible logic would support that decision?

I don’t actually know if this is the case, I’m more just thinking aloud, but I’d say it’s to maintain an advantage to the home team. Our game vs Sydney was our home match, so what benefit does it do Melbourne City to have the place filled (relative term) with yelling shouting Sydney supporters willing their team on?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Do we play the winner out of 3 and 6? Might be good that WU just won, this guys are flying.

We will play the higher placed winner. So if 3rd and 4th win their finals we play who finished 3rd

If 4th and 6th win, we play who finished 4th etc 

• Like 1

In terms of where WU finish on the ladder which would be the better outcome for City. WU wins or loses? Should we throw the game in order to get WU matched up against a harder opponent?? 

Looking at the ladder my recommendation would be to beat them. They then would play Brisbane and if they win, Sydney which means we would not have to face them until the final, if at all. 

If it got to that it would be ironical to have two Melbourne (well sort of Melbourne) teams playing in the final  in Sydney. 

Edited by TheStig

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

In terms of where WU finish on the ladder which would be the better outcome for City. WU wins or loses? Should we throw the game in order to get WU matched up against a harder opponent?? 

Looking at the ladder my recommendation would be to beat them. They then would play Brisbane and if they win, Sydney which means we would not have to face them until the final, if at all. 

If it got to that it would be ironical to have two Melbourne (well sort of Melbourne) teams playing in the final  in Sydney. 

Manchester vs. Tarneit would look lop-sided on paper....

They have two very dangerous players in Diamanti and Burgess, their last game was very technical and they have Berisha.

The midfield will be key,although their wide men have also found form - god I hate they have Pierias.

Edited by moops

Actually talking about possible lineups interest me more.

Mobaerts has a few issues.

Not one of them is that he has finally set up the midfield 3 and for me its completely balanced, all 3 players, Berenguer, Luna and Brillante are very different types but also complement each other. Up front Maclaren just scores, and like Bruno before him we are blessed to have an elite goal scorer. Our issues now lie on the wings.

Noone is out, and Wales hasn't produced enough to warrant a start, but bringing in 2 new players on the wing is risky.

Atkinson may be the answer but then your changing at the back which has also been impressive since the re start. 

We need to be going into the game with basically our finals side, resting players now won't work.

The only players I think personally should be played for minutes would be Griffiths and Metcalfe, both before lockdown proved worthy, but as mentioned earlier our midfield has been superb, so possibly play Metcalfe/Luna in a rotating wide role and push Atkinson up and slide in Griffiths. 

I'm very keen to see what Mombarets does.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jovan said:

The only players I think personally should be played for minutes would be Griffiths and Metcalfe, both before lockdown proved worthy, but as mentioned earlier our midfield has been superb, so possibly play Metcalfe/Luna in a rotating wide role and push Atkinson up and slide in Griffiths. 

Galloway has to get some solid minutes for mine, with the confirmation of no Jamo, he is our bench defence cover. 

There are realistic scenarios that could mean Galloway is needed to come on in a knock out final, and I feel like he needs to be more ready than he was when he came on against Adelaide 

59 minutes ago, neio said:

Galloway has to get some solid minutes for mine, with the confirmation of no Jamo, he is our bench defence cover. 

There are realistic scenarios that could mean Galloway is needed to come on in a knock out final, and I feel like he needs to be more ready than he was when he came on against Adelaide 

Maybe this game we switch to a 3-5-2 with Galloway and Atkinson as wingbacks. Brillante and Metcalfe can be in the centre of midfield with one of Luna/Berenguer being the attacking midfield with the other being a 'second striker' behind Jamo. 

On 14/08/2020 at 7:01 PM, kingofhearts said:

'No crowd' is an advantage for us, and even more so for WU

• Haha 1