Melbourne Football

Which Melbourne?

jmr

Hi everybody. Please excuse my ignorance; I don't know much about the A-League, but it looks like fun. 

I have a genuine question though. How does a new supporter choose which Melbourne team to go for? What do the two teams stand for? Do they represent different regions of Melbourne, different demographics? Or do you just pick one and go with it?

And please excuse me if a million people have asked this question. 

Thanks.

Hi everybody. Please excuse my ignorance; I don't know much about the A-League, but it looks like fun. 

I have a genuine question though. How does a new supporter choose which Melbourne team to go for? What do the two teams stand for? Do they represent different regions of Melbourne, different demographics? Or do you just pick one and go with it?

And please excuse me if a million people have asked this question. 

Thanks.

Victory represent Tasmania and heart represent morwell

I'll say that we are a lot more of a close nit club than the Victory. We all know each other in Yarraside and that makes it a lot more enjoyable to go to games week to week.

Both clubs represent Melbourne as a whole and not region based really,

There are a lot of things i could say positivly about this club, but the one thing i will say is if you want to feel like your making a difference and that you arent just a number on a card then Heart is the club for you.

Even as a non-Active member, I can say that the Premium B members also bond together and get to know eachother, which makes game-day more fun. I also chose Heart because of

a) The colours

B) I didn't like Victory's arrogance

c) Heart are the underdogs and everyone loves an underdog

d) You get more of a 'member of the family' feel from the club as opposed to being just another number

e) They have a great community involvement

f) They have fantastic grassroots initiatives

g) Heart represents Melbourne - As you can see from my profile pic, the City of Melbourne flag is Red & White and the City of Melbourne's motto is "We Gather Strength As We Go", which is very true of Heart too!  :)

• Like 1

Victory currently have limits on what they can do. I remember reading somewhere else on the forum that 'pull overs' are banned for them. They also have quite a violent perspective on football (soccer). The Yarraside boys,  may be small for the current time, but we are always expanding and we all are passionate about the game without that violent edge

Well if you're a cunt you follow MVFC and if you're not you generally follow MHFC. 

simples.jpg

and if you think he's joking, its 100% true!

One key point i love about being a heart supporter is that its a small upcoming club and you really feel a part of it! i couldnt imagine supporting any club and feeling the involvment i do anywhere else.

Hi everybody. Please excuse my ignorance; I don't know much about the A-League, but it looks like fun.  I have a genuine question though. How does a new supporter choose which Melbourne team to go for? What do the two teams stand for? Do they represent different regions of Melbourne, different demographics? Or do you just pick one and go with it? And please excuse me if a million people have asked this question.  Thanks.

Your excused, and tbh and fair to you not many people have come onto a heart forum to ask which melbourne team to go for. In fact I don't think there have been any. I'd say your pioneer!

Yep, great responses, most of them! 

Thanks very much. 

Jimmy said that AFL fans will often become Victory supporters for something to watch in the off-season, while Heart supporters love football first. Did I get that right?

And, let me ask one more question: Do people envisage the two Melbourne teams taking on more culture/identity over the years i.e demographics or region?

I find this stuff fascinating, especially given such a young league.

When it comes to demographics you should look at it more from an intellectual angle

Normal IQ level will classify you as eligible to join mhfc

However if your shoe size is larger then your IQ then please proceed here http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbournevictory

You will receive a membership as well as box of cryons plus a helmet.

If you hurry you may also get a limited edition scarf with "FUCK OFF HEART" on it

It makes a such a lovely talking point at the next family BBQ

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 2

When it comes to demographics you should look at it more from an intellectual angle

Normal IQ level will classify you as eligible to join mhfc

However if your shoe size is larger then your IQ then please proceed here http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbournevictory

You will receive a membership as well as box of cryons plus a helmet.

If you hurry you may also get a limited edition scarf with "FUCK OFF HEART" on it

It makes a such a lovely talking point at the next family BBQ

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  legend

Thanks very much. 

Jimmy said that AFL fans will often become Victory supporters for something to watch in the off-season, while Heart supporters love football first. Did I get that right?

And, let me ask one more question: Do people envisage the two Melbourne teams taking on more culture/identity over the years i.e demographics or region?

That AFL thing Jimmy said is a load of crap, just have a look at how many of this forum's most regular users post in the AFL thread in the off season for evidence. :up:

Thanks very much. 

I along with others on here are AFL fans too so that part isn't overly true, but I just feel as though Heart is a club that appreciates its supporters above all, especially taking into consideration the recent happenings over at MVFC. Over there, they don't appreciate their supporters with a large majority of memberships still yet to be issued, their active support being destroyed due to new board policies and their general arrogant club culture.

Culturally speaking, we're an underdog which has a larger focus on establishing itself in the broader community extending beyond just Melbourne and while there's a good family vibe at the games, there's also a strong and passionate group in the active support who bleed for the club. 

And while I'm obviously being biased, there's never been a greater time than now to jump on and become a Heart supporter as we currently have our strongest squad since our inception into the A-League, membership numbers are strong and we're largely overdue for success! 

Hope to see you on board  :up:

• Like 1

Tbh people shouldn't need to watch youtube videos of the crowd to decide on a team to follow, that's just fickle if you ask me. It's the on-field performances that need to shine in order to attract new fans.

You're saying that following a team because they're successful is less fickle than supporting a team for the match day experience? Barca and Man U fans are so noble :droy:

Tbh people shouldn't need to watch youtube videos of the crowd to decide on a team to follow, that's just fickle if you ask me. It's the on-field performances that need to shine in order to attract new fans.

You're saying that following a team because they're successful is less fickle than supporting a team for the match day experience? Barca and Man U fans are so noble :droy:

Not at all, quite the opposite actually. I'm saying that if someone wants to experience the atmosphere at a game, they should attend a match, not base their decision on amateur youtube videos. Nor should they simply follow the team on top of the table. It's a combination of a variety of factors that make up an informed decision. Attractive on-field performances doesn't necessarily mean the most successful team either. A shit game of football also kills the match day atmosphere (as many reported on Saturday night), so the two are inevitably linked in most cases.

FWIW I don't follow either of those teams.

Edited by MKD

Thanks very much. 

That AFL thing Jimmy said is a load of crap, just have a look at how many of this forum's most regular users post in the AFL thread in the off season for evidence. :up:

what is AFL?

Thanks very much. 

what is AFL?

Anal Fisting League?

I joined as a member at the start of the second season

I was very close to becoming a memeber for the first

As a Scot, I have always had an interest in the game, played to a decent level etc, but the A league didn't interest me,

A good friend almost got me to sign up for the Heart ( not as a player haha) in the first year, after watching a few games of A league that season , the family decided that we should go to regular matches etc

the decision was Victory mmm 20,000 members or Heart 3000 members , the decision was easy, shit, Victory didn't need support, Heart did, also the Dutch coach and philosophy of play were the main ticks as well

Glad that we  did join the Heart !

• Like 2

If you follow AFL then Victory is the Collingwood/Essendon of the league. Rich, arrogant and self entitled. Their supporters are typically loud and ignorant, and they have a history of having wankers like Archie Thompson playing for them.

They also have Kevin Muscat, an ex-player that epitomises toughness and hardness, just ask him. That is of course assuming that being tough and hard involves being an absolute arsehole and deliberately and recklessly hurting players when they are in a position where they are unable to defend themselves. Just check out the following video where he oh so bravely breaks a young players leg, putting him out for an entire year and potentially damaging his career: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eln66RNj0

If you want to support a club that embraces that crap, go for Victory.

Also, and this is another reason why I selected Heart, consider the relative histories of the clubs.

Victory have been around for nearly 10 years, and have won premierships in that time. Over 20,000 people got to be involved in those years as supporters, and I'm sure are proud to say they experienced the rise of their club. If you jump on the Victory wagon now, you will be supporting a club that you've never had the enjoyment of seeing grow. If you support Heart you haven't missed the club winning anything yet, and can instead see us rise for our first premiership, and say you were among that loyal first 8,000 or so that were on Heart from the start.

• Like 4

Victory are big, dumb, arrogant, and self obsessed. I like to think we act with a bit more class.

When Heart came along, Victory had the chance to welcome the challenge of having a local rival and consider the benefits of it growing the game as a whole. They could have seen the bigger picture and, while not doing us any favours, could have at least been open to the idea that two clubs in Melbourne is better than one - that the competition and the game is more important than their own self centred and insecure need to be the biggest. But like a spoilt child, the attitude from the club as a whole can be summed up by those Fuck off Heart scarves. 

Mind you, their hostility has only fuelled my desire for this club to succeed at every level and eat into their previous dominance.

I think the idea that the clubs serve the game and not the other way around is ingrained in the foundation of Heart. While we might not successfully uphold the club's ethos at times, things like community engagement, a committment to an attractive playing style and developing young players for bigger things are the sort of things the club was committed to from the start. Victory was lacking in these things, and that they've now adopted some of these principles is a complement to what Heart have contributed since we began.

I could go on, but don't have time now.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

If you follow AFL then Victory is the Collingwood/Essendon of the league. Rich, arrogant and self entitled. Their supporters are typically loud and ignorant, and they have a history of having wankers like Archie Thompson playing for them.

They also have Kevin Muscat, an ex-player that epitomises toughness and hardness, just ask him. That is of course assuming that being tough and hard involves being an absolute arsehole and deliberately and recklessly hurting players when they are in a position where they are unable to defend themselves. Just check out the following video where he oh so bravely breaks a young players leg, putting him out for an entire year and potentially damaging his career: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eln66RNj0

If you want to support a club that embraces that crap, go for Victory.

Also, and this is another reason why I selected Heart, consider the relative histories of the clubs.

Victory have been around for nearly 10 years, and have won premierships in that time. Over 20,000 people got to be involved in those years as supporters, and I'm sure are proud to say they experienced the rise of their club. If you jump on the Victory wagon now, you will be supporting a club that you've never had the enjoyment of seeing grow. If you support Heart you haven't missed the club winning anything yet, and can instead see us rise for our first premiership, and say you were among that loyal first 8,000 or so that were on Heart from the start.

Apart from the Collingwood comments I agree 100%  ;)

Well.....Ignorant I disagree with, but loud I'll accept!

• Like 2