Melbourne Football

MCFC in the ACL

IssySG

14 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

The humidity in India doesn't seem to be affecting Williams, Krishna and Le Fondre very much. They are all having a decent season and facing in the finale. 

Not much of this inaugural ACL campaign without a home game and first person experience. 

The difference is they're residing there whereas we're going to be flying in and flying out.

what's really shit with the ACL coming up is that we have the WC qualifiers due at the start of June.  doesnt give any time to finish off the A League regular season plus finals without losing JMac, Nabbout, etc. puts us in a pickle either way (we lose our Socceroos for the WC games or face a really drawn out end to the season).

9 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

what's really shit with the ACL coming up is that we have the WC qualifiers due at the start of June.  doesnt give any time to finish off the A League regular season plus finals without losing JMac, Nabbout, etc. puts us in a pickle either way (we lose our Socceroos for the WC games or face a really drawn out end to the season).

or both...

11 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

It’s competition fraud if the A-League needs to let players go to the Socceroos during regular season or finals. Never happens elsewhere around the world.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s competition fraud if the A-League needs to let players go to the Socceroos during regular season or finals. Never happens elsewhere around the world.

100% agree.

Having said that they have their hands tied.

They only managed to get another year for the TV rights albeit at reduced rate, but they still achieved that during the middle of our lockdown but it must finish from memory in June, so extending the season to allow for international windows aren't an option. 

Unfortunately by the looks of things we will probably suffer most. That is 2 national team strikers can't be replaced. 

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

100% agree.

Having said that they have their hands tied.

They only managed to get another year for the TV rights albeit at reduced rate, but they still achieved that during the middle of our lockdown but it must finish from memory in June, so extending the season to allow for international windows aren't an option. 

Unfortunately by the looks of things we will probably suffer most. That is 2 national team strikers can't be replaced. 

But are we forced to let them go? We are their main employer, I can imagine perhaps bonuses can be at stake come finals time. 

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

But are we forced to let them go? We are their main employer, I can imagine perhaps bonuses can be at stake come finals time. 

Now it's up to two administrative organisations to decide between them - APL and FA. I don't think that we can be forced to release players, but I can't see anyone standing in the way of players representing their countries. It wouldn't be a good look for the club. It's not just the matches of course - there are the prior training camps to consider as well.

Messy situation.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Now it's up to two administrative organisations to decide between them - APL and FA. I don't think that we can be forced to release players, but I can't see anyone standing in the way of players representing their countries. It wouldn't be a good look for the club. It's not just the matches of course - there are the prior training camps to consider as well.

Messy situation.

Yes it ultimately comes down to the players. Winning trophies with your club (you worked all year this) or Socceroos, or both and join the camp later. Are they genuine guaranteed Socceroo starters is something else to consider.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Messy situation.

Tough spot for all. I imagine FIFA will class June as an international window, so we will be forced to let them go. 

What hasn't helped are all those games delayed at the start of the season due to covid lockdowns and travel restrictions 

What may play in our benefit is that most of Europe will have finished their respective seasons and the Socceroos sit top by two points with a game spare (Kuwait and Jordan are due to play each other too). Maybe Arnold will look to blood a few up and comers. Probably being far too optimistic 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Reddit saying that Shan United have pulled out of ACL and we advance.

Seems like a real game of chicken to see who pulls out first, good for our fixturing though.

Thats big news, assuming it’s true.

But as to “who pulled out first”, we aren’t basically in a civil war.

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

Reddit saying that Shan United have pulled out of ACL and we advance.

Seems like a real game of chicken to see who pulls out first, good for our fixturing though.

With many countries going into third and now fourth waves, and new mutations, I still think that this year's ACL may not happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The AFC website lists our play off game as being played June 21st. How does this work regarding finals? 

Edit: on top of this, the WC qualifiers finish on June 15th. How the fuck does the AFC expect players to quarantine after? 

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Welp... we’ve officially pulled out. No ACL this year, and probably no ACL next year due to suspension. 

I don't think there will be suspension, on the Fox podcast with Adam Peacock a few weeks ago he said that any team that pulls out due to having to quarantine on the way back and missing league games won't be punished. That obviously can change though 

Pretty disappointing all round. We've looked forward to this for 11 seasons. Completely understand the coronavirus situation and the fixture issues, but to find out via tweet showing a media release from the AFC and not first from the club is piss poor in my view.

This club still has a lot to learn about how to relate to its supporters.