Melbourne Football

MCFC in the ACL

IssySG

On 01/12/2020 at 12:32 PM, bt50 said:

The Aussie teams have been particularly stitched up by the salary cap cut this year, so imo its more than reasonable to ignore this years results.

In saying that, the longer term trend over the past few seasons has not been great either so its not an unreasonable concern.

Ive always taken the view that i think wed handle ACL better than most Aussie clubs cos our squads have batted deeper. Having quality options at player 16-21 benefits teams in the ACL imo, although weve clearly seen its not necessarily the formula to win the HAL. HAL seems to favour the clubs that have the strongest XIs.

I am actually of the opinion that any aussie club that plays like us is doomed to fail and the only approach that works for Australian clubs at the moment is a defensive counter attacking style.

40 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I am actually of the opinion that any aussie club that plays like us is doomed to fail and the only approach that works for Australian clubs at the moment is a defensive counter attacking style.

Not an unfair observation, I certainly agree for an Aussie club to do really well they need to be pretty miserly, which we definitely don't have that as a particular strength just yet.
I think we'd def do better than languishing around 4 points though.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Did we all miss Sydney walloping Shanghai SIPG (with Aaron Mooy) 4-0 on 2nd December? Luke Brattan among the goalscorers.

Nope, but even though it was dead rubber, every win we get counts in terms of restoring 4th place (this year we slipped to 5th for the first time, behind Japan, Nice Korea, China and Thailand) on the East Asia table and regaining the 2nd automatic group spot. MV's getting out of the group has done the HAL clubs a massive favor in terms of getting back towards that. 
Interestingly if we were to add another Australian team and get to 12 Aussie based teams, we'd actually gain an extra qualifying spot should we return to 4th on that table.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

Nope, but even though it was dead rubber, every win we get counts in terms of restoring 4th place (this year we slipped to 5th for the first time, behind Japan, Nice Korea, China and Thailand) on the East Asia table and regaining the 2nd automatic group spot. MV's getting out of the group has done the HAL clubs a massive favor in terms of getting back towards that. 
Interestingly if we were to add another Australian team and get to 12 Aussie based teams, we'd actually gain an extra qualifying spot should we return to 4th on that table.

I heard somewhere this season's results did not count in calculating the coefficients. 

• 1 month later...

from SBS Article:

The centralised eastern group stages are planned for April 21-May 7, while the western region games are scheduled between April 14-30, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said on Monday.

MCFC also have to get through the prelim on 7th april. 

Hoping that we make this tournement but it will be a major challenge keeping the players fit. I think our upcoming 4 matches from 31 jan - 13 Feb will give us an indication of how our squad depth and overall personnell positioning flexibility works. Lets hope their is a lift in border restrictions so that we also don't have to contend with further delays of the A league rounds. 

IMO we have to focus on either the AFC or A league trophy. Very difficult decisions. 

3 minutes ago, citymad said:

from SBS Article:

The centralised eastern group stages are planned for April 21-May 7, while the western region games are scheduled between April 14-30, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said on Monday.

MCFC also have to get through the prelim on 7th april. 

Hoping that we make this tournement but it will be a major challenge keeping the players fit. I think our upcoming 4 matches from 31 jan - 13 Feb will give us an indication of how our squad depth and overall personnell positioning flexibility works. Lets hope their is a lift in border restrictions so that we also don't have to contend with further delays of the A league rounds. 

IMO we have to focus on either the AFC or A league trophy. Very difficult decisions. 

IMO it's very difficult to predict what the fixture list will look like in April. At the moment it shows us at home to CCM on 22nd March, and home to Adelaide on 10th April. So we could host the qualifier against the Burmese club on 7th April.

However, I think only a fool would plan so far ahead. A single escape from quarantine of one of the new mutations of COV-19 could change everything.

• Like 2

As JW said, there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before it even occurs, but on face value i disagree that it will be a focus on one or the other situation. We'll be thrown into a hub so effectively you'd end up with a 3-4 week period where ACL is your sole focus, then you come back to finish the HAL off afterwards. Other than the fact we'll be denied the opportunity to finally see our team in the ACL, it will probably work out as a net win for the club in an onfield sense as they won't be juggling the travel etc.

27 minutes ago, neio said:

The draw has officially happened, we have Burmese side Shan United on April 7,a win there and we play a game against Japanese side Cerazo Osaka to gain full qualification to group stages

If we make it to the GS we have been handed possibly the easiest group. Kitchee (Hong Kong), Port FC (Thailand) and Shandong (China). Huge opportunity to progress if we overcome Osaka. 

15 minutes ago, neio said:

Depending on fitness of Nabbout, there is a chance we don't take Noone, we have more than enough cover in his position compared to Florin 

With the injury history we have I wouldn't even bother thinking about this 9 weeks in advance.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I'd kind of be surprised if Australia wasn't selected as one of the hubs for the ACL.

im optimistic too, but we'll see. i'll be surprised if they dont elect to play the qualifiers in the same hub tbh because it will be a disaster logistically if teams have to quarantine in the week the tournament starts. Realistically though if its in Australia its going to need to be a whole country thing, and theres no guarantee City would even be based here.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

im optimistic too, but we'll see. i'll be surprised if they dont elect to play the qualifiers in the same hub tbh because it will be a disaster logistically if teams have to quarantine in the week the tournament starts. Realistically though if its in Australia its going to need to be a whole country thing, and theres no guarantee City would even be based here.

Tend to agree. Even if there are matches in Australia I would have guessed that there would be a hub and that would be Sydney.

The club website is silent on the matter of where our qualifier is to be played.

Edited by jw1739

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Tend to agree. Even if there are matches in Australia I would have guessed that there would be a hub and that would be Sydney.

The club website is silent on the matter of where our qualifier is to be played.

It might need to be multi state thinking about it, given the amount of teams and matches. In saying that i'm sure they'll want to keep it to as minimum as possible. NSW and Victoria seem the obvious options from an infrastructure point of view.

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It might need to be multi state thinking about it, given the amount of teams and matches. In saying that i'm sure they'll want to keep it to as minimum as possible. NSW and Victoria seem the obvious options from an infrastructure point of view.

But FA is in Sydney...

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, I hate to be cynical, but that was my first thought too... 

I wasn't being cynical actually. I was really thinking of the ease of making the necessary administrative arrangements, not only for the matches as such but also the hosting of the officials, media and other hangers-on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 4:16 PM, jw1739 said:

Another potential spanner in the works is the military takeover in Burma/Myanmar.

... and the situation on that front is deteriorating. I wonder whether we might progress to the second play-off match because Shan United can't get out of the country and I can't see us wanting to enter it?

Very fluid situation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

If we do make it through the group stage we'll be put in Group J. Just been announced that all Group J matches will take place in a hub in Thailand

But is there any word on the elimination match against Burma/Myanmar's Shan United?

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

But is there any word on the elimination match against Burma/Myanmar's Shan United?

It's in the article. All preliminary and play off matches will also occur in the hub and the entire 'east' comp is pushed back until June/July.

Thailand in July anyone?