Melbourne Football

Round 2 | 19th of October | Melbourne VS CCM

Jimmy

Despite the penalties we had the chances to put the game away, as did CCM in the last 20 minutes. Both GolGol and Willo really should have scored.

I agree with much of what has been said. I though Arnold coached his team magnificently, and they responded perfectly as well. As soon as they went 0-2 down he brought on the two fresh pairs of legs and CCM took control in midfield and were eventually going to score. If we are going to give up control in midfield as we did and play is going to be in and around our penalty area then it's inevitable that sooner or later we are going to concede a penalty. The referee doesn't have a lot of options available when the infringement is in the box.

We're still not working hard enough up front. GolGol is clearly a talented player, but he doesn't seem to put in for the full 90. And I feel that Mate is dispossessed or knocked off the ball far too easily and that he wasn't in the game really much at all. I didn't understand why Garuccio wasn't given a run for that last 20 or so. IMO we saw the novice coach at work with both the selection of the bench and its management.

Really like Ramsay and his delightful low crosses. To think JA wanted to turn him into a back - what a waste!

Before the game I would have been happy with the point, and while the manner of getting it wasn't the best overall I'm still happy with the result.

Still plenty to learn though, and no room for complacency at all.

Yes, crowd was disappointing. Just shows that there's a long way to go there as well.

A few solid wins at the start of the season, particularly those big games, will help us out heaps with attendance and membership.

Before the game, was hoping to scrape a point, 

But after the game, dying cause we didnt get all three.

Terrace had an alright start, to many phones out for my liking, but thankgod we have finally learnt how to clap and not speed up!

from two poster on the CCM forums

I absolutely loved the fans there today, esp. Harry. Loud and proud, so glad we outsung the pathetic 'Yarraside' 

thumbup.gif

Can't wait until you guys come down next year.

p.s I was that guy with the bag on my head during Flores's first peno.

second one:

'The travelling Yellow Army were brilliant today. They made it sound like a home game. Well done!'

umm sorry but were you guys even at the game? i dident see them?

• Like 1

from two poster on the CCM forums

I absolutely loved the fans there today, esp. Harry. Loud and proud, so glad we outsung the pathetic 'Yarraside' thumbup.gif

Can't wait until you guys come down next year.

p.s I was that guy with the bag on my head during Flores's first peno.

second one:

'The travelling Yellow Army were brilliant today. They made it sound like a home game. Well done!'

umm sorry but were you guys even at the game? i dident see them?

lol wut. I was on the North eastern corner and I heard the mariners twice? Yarraside were far louder (obviously), heard them the whole time.

• Like 1

Watched the game on Fox Sports, couldn't hear anything from the Mariners supporters so they're full of shit. 

Yarraside were good, especially after scoring the first goal and just a side note - Speedy commented on how great the noise you lads were making was, so top effort! Pumped for the Wanderers game.

WHY DOES ALOISI NOT UTILISE HIS FKN SUBS?? WE EVEN HAVE AN EXTRA PLAYER ON THE BENCH!!

Seriously, does he not use all his subs because he doesn't know which players to put on/take off and when so he's scared he's going to look incompetent if he fucks it up or takes a player off that's actually playing well or leaves a player on that should actually be coming off?

3 out of 6 subs made in 2 games! Fkn learn how to utilise your subs Aloisi!

/rant

Given how Williams and Ramsay were going, I'm not sure any of Kalmar, Mauk or Garruccio would've improved us. Give JA some credit - we've held our own against two sides expected to finish at the top, coached by the favourites for the Socceroos job. You could perhaps argue that Aloisi has out coached them both so far.

Agree with both of these points. In particular I agree about the substitutions (or lack thereof). The starting 11 were getting the job done. They scored 2, and should have scored 2 more. I'd even say substituting Gerhardt on was arguably a mistake, as he seemed to unsettle the team a fair bit, and he was involved in the second penalty (perhaps we should of persevered with Andrea for a bit longer, and if anything have replaced him with Kalmar). We didn't have a ready made replacement for Dugandzic (Garuccio is a left winger) or Mebrahtu.

One of the best things I like about this season's squad is we have a very fit and hardworking group of players. Most of our players can perform for 90 minutes. We shouldn't be afraid to back a lot of these players and keep them on the pitch for 90 minutes (especially when they're in form, as nearly all of our players were today).

• Like 1

Hoffman had a very good game (srs) - looked confident and comfortable and also helped Mate out but still made a few errors, none of which were fatal.

Kisnorbo's chant is spot on. The guy is a star in defence, he and Weilart compliment each other brilliantly.

Weilart is everything you want in a centre back. Led brilliantly as captain and went hard all game - why wasn't he permanently made captain?

Aziz defended well, but was absolutely wrecked by the 70th minute which CCM exploited. His attacking runs seem to come too few and far between - once he and Ramsay get a good relationship going maybe we will be able to launch a decent counter attack?

Ramsay played brilliantly - creator of many chances and should have had 2 of his own but went in the side net. What a great pick up.

Williams - the standard we all knew he was capable of. Should have had a hattrick. Lets hope he keeps it up and pressures Mifsud to perform.

Gol Gol was very average. Looked lethargic and unwilling to work.

Dugandzic needs to harden up! Whenever the challenge comes in he shies away and gives it up - needs to ride the challenges more and run at his man which he eventually managed to do at the end of the game.

Murdocca is ace. He and Kisnorbo were the exact 2 players we missed last season.

Redders was solid - hasn't copped a goal from open play this season! Nearly saved first penalty as well, a matter of inches. However his delivery to players when he goes the long option is fucking shite.

Miglorini needs to get the fuck out of set pieces.

Gerhardt can't play in the midfield however would make a great back up plan if shit hits the fan with Kisnorbo's injuries.

Short corners need to go.

Passing back to the keeper needs to go.

Long balls over the midfield needs to go.

Ben Williams needs to go.

Have to agree with nearly everything you have said there. But golgol did set up both our goals so credit is due to him of that. Totally agree with redmaynes distribution...why he constantly went long to dugandzic, arguably our weakest player in the air, I don't know.

Bloody hell that was dissapointing. 

We were clearly the better side for the majority of the match, made the best chances, and should have won. 

When I was walking to the ground and saw there was no Kewell and four wingers up front I thought we would struggle, but it actually worked really well.

Ramsay is really impressive, just feel that when he gets the ball he is dangerous. He can run, cross and has good vision, I'm pretty happy with him to start consistently from now on.

Redders was actually pretty good, and for the first time ever looked like he understood how penalties worked, and with a bit of luck would have saved the first. 

Hoffman was fine, apart from that stupid throw in. I can live with him in the first side if he continues to perform like this, although I do still prefer Walker. 

Kisnorbo and Wielaert are very solid down back, and Behich has been good defensively but hasn't yet replicated his offensive form from the past. 

Miglorini is decent, but wtf is with his booting throw ins out o play in these loopy first time kicks that are never going to work?

Murdocca has great energy, and I like that when he uintercepts it he runs forward and at the very least makes the opposition defence panic. Last season every time Thompson intercepted it he back passed it so to see a player try and take advantage of the opppositions positioning is great.

Mebrahtu put in some nice touches and was dangerous but he needs to do more. Maybe its his laconic demeanour but he looks lazy a lot of the time. I think Mifsud takes his spot, even though Gol Gol has been decent.

Williams was very good, I much prefer him centrally trying to use his pace to beat the offside trap than having to to a u turn so he can cross on his right foot from the left. Should have had a deserved hat trick, and probably one of the btter games I've seen him play.

Dugandzic was my biggest dissapointment. He did some nice stuff in the first half but he was almost unsighted in the second. Almost all our key attacking plays come down the left side and Dugandzic looked buggered by about the 60 minute mark. 

To Aloisi's credit we have started the season very promisingly. We can clearly attack and with a little more composure and better finishing we could have two wins, and they are two areas Mifsud is meant to excel in. 

His substitions, or lack thereof still worry me though. Garrucio should have been on for Dugandzic around the 60 minute mark to give us a bit more energy as our wingers tired out, and i would have liked to see Kalmar get a run towards the end there, although I'm not sure for who. I can understand Gerhardt coming on, he needs to still be playing and Miglorini may still need match fitness to improve. Overall I'm pretty happy though, I think we can go a long way this season. Also brought along 3 extras, 2 for their second game after each saw a shite game their first time and were very doubtful, and another for his first game. They all enjoyed it and will be back for more so pretty rapt about that, although the investment of a membership is still a little while off for them.

Next week Ramsay has to start, and i would line up as follows:

Redmayne

Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo Behich

Murdocca  Miglorini

Williams     Kewell    Ramsay

Mifsud

Velaphi, Mebrahtu, Dugandzic, Kalmar, Gerhardt

Oh and another thing, I don't recall passing it back to the keeper unnecessarily yesterday. I thought our defence was very good at keeping its composure and not using the Heart trademark move of the Redders long bomb. 

And as for the CCM outsinging yarraside, they're dreaming. We were singing right near them and even at their very loudest they weren't as loud as Yarraside. I thought Yarraside were in fine form yesterday and the atmosphere was great.

Edited by The Aardvark

Yesterday was similar to the first game, we seem to have rock solid defensive plan, we are quite good at starving the opposition of chances with Kisnorbo and Wielaart, who are dead set guns in this league and Kisnorbo has more ability in his left toe nail than Lucas Neill, wouldn't mind him at CB for the Socceroos. 

Our midfield work bloody hard, but they never seemed able to string two passes together with the Williams, Gol Gol or Ramsay, that has to change, we can't just keep this long ball stuff going all the time. 

Thought our strikers looked dangerous when in range and have some serious pace to burn, we could really trouble some teams this season with that attack.

Bit disappointing not to get the win, but plenty of good signs ahead though. 

FWIW, i saw Engelaar pre game and while he had crutches, he was moving around without using them much so hopefully that means his leg is well and truly on the mend

I'm feeling really optimistic about Engelaar returning before the end of the season, even if we get to see him play for a month or possibly 2!

He will completely change the whole dynamic of our team and I'm sure he has the intention of staying on for next season too.

If we had JVS working the counter attacking football we played in season 2 with the pacey players we have now, we would certainly be the dark horse for the title.

I think JA is taking a leaf out of the Wanderers' book from last year where they explicitly focused on defence first and foremost, and then they would build their attacks from there. 

It makes sense too, especially against sides like Victory and Central Coast who would have slaughtered our defence this time last year so to not concede a goal from open play in our first two games is only a positive imo. The more attacking play will come, Mifsud and Kewell is only going to help that cause.

• Like 2

We're still not working hard enough up front. GolGol is clearly a talented player, but he doesn't seem to put in for the full 90.

It's not even a full 90 that he can't put in, he is just a lazy player in general and should be dropped. Obviously has talent and potential, really has a bit of class about him, but way too lazy for my liking. Drop him, and bring him back when he shows he wants to play.

Regardless of results and chances, I'm not seeing any improvement in our style of play.

We can play 15 passes in our back half, then it's time to string 3-4 passes together going forward, and we cough the ball up, or rely on long ball.  We rely so much on counter attack still.

i hate the way we play too.

But here's the thing.  We created some golden chances against bot Victory and the Mariners.  A better finisher and we could have put half a dozen past both of them.  We have a better finisher who is yet to play.

The middle of defense has been shorn up by Weillart and Kisnorbo.  People have noted Behich is not as attacking as he was.  But defensively he has been great. .  Redmayne really has only had a few saves to make in 180 minutes of fotball. This is by design  If they don't score, you can't lose.

The club needs results. We're creating more genuine goal scoring chances than our opponents.  We just need to finish them.  Winning football is good football. 

• Like 2

We're still not working hard enough up front. GolGol is clearly a talented player, but he doesn't seem to put in for the full 90.

It's not even a full 90 that he can't put in, he is just a lazy player in general and should be dropped. Obviously has talent and potential, really has a bit of class about him, but way too lazy for my liking. Drop him, and bring him back when he shows he wants to play.

Lasts season I was canned for saying he was slow. In hindsight its possible what  i actually interpreted as him being slow is him just being lazy.

Still don't know which on it is..but I wonder if his OP injury is limiting his effort.

Too much negativity Guys, We played so much better than last week & for 70 mins the best team on the park.

Ref saw what he thought was Pen but 8.5K couldn't ... at the end of the day we should be pleased with the way we played against our bogey team = that is the best performance Heart have put in against CCM perform like that against the other teams and the 3 points are in the bag .

Lasts season I was canned for saying he was slow. In hindsight its possible what i actually interpreted as him being slow is him just being lazy.

Still don't know which on it is..but I wonder if his OP injury is limiting his effort.

I'm all praises for golgols 'potential' and the fact he set up our goals yesterday. I think he may have a bright future. Problem is though yes, he is fast regarding his speed around the pitch, but a bit slow mentally. He doesn't have the mentality (yet?) to be poised and calculating and doesn't read situations very well. Pretty much he doesn't have that ability to outsmart opponents when he has the ball. And simple things like realising that maybe he should get back onside quickly in case the other team turnover the ball to us. He has been caught coming out of an offside position many times. Again soft in the head and an inability to be be mentally switched on.

Edited by n i k o

If we had JVS working the counter attacking football we played in season 2 with the pacey players we have now, we would certainly be the dark horse for the title.

I think JA is taking a leaf out of the Wanderers' book from last year where they explicitly focused on defence first and foremost, and then they would build their attacks from there. 

It makes sense too, especially against sides like Victory and Central Coast who would have slaughtered our defence this time last year so to not concede a goal from open play in our first two games is only a positive imo. The more attacking play will come, Mifsud and Kewell is only going to help that cause. This.

Agree, WSW is our template for this year. Successful teams start with solid defence like CCM. Golgol is not lazy, he is from the Viduka style of play. Not saying he is at that level but Dukes was sometimes criticised for looking a bit lazy because he didn't chase every shit ball but when he got the ball he was magic. Golgol showed good feet last night and assisted with play and goals and with more time and confidence he could be a great alternative to Mifsud.

Lasts season I was canned for saying he was slow. In hindsight its possible what i actually interpreted as him being slow is him just being lazy.

I'm all praises for golgols 'potential' and the fact he set up our goals yesterday. I think he may have a bright future. Problem is though yes, he is fast regarding his speed around the pitch, but a bit slow mentally. He doesn't have the mentality (yet?) to be poised and calculating and doesn't read situations very well. Pretty much he doesn't have that ability to outsmart opponents when he has the ball. And simple things like realising that maybe he should get back onside quickly in case the other team turnover the ball to us. He has been caught coming out of an offside position many times. Again soft in the head and an inability to be be mentally switched on.

My major criticism of GolGol yesterday is that after he missed the chance to put us 3-0 up he lay prone on the ground in the CCM goal area in mental anguish for some time while play continued. Had we attacked again he was yards off-side. A true professional gets up and gets on with the game rather than feeling sorry for himself. He needs to get that sort of thing out of his game to be worthy of a regular place in the team.

Also, it looks as though we're going to continue with this style of play: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/aloisi--heart-s-style-here-to-stay/77385

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Regardless of results and chances, I'm not seeing any improvement in our style of play.

We can play 15 passes in our back half, then it's time to string 3-4 passes together going forward, and we cough the ball up, or rely on long ball.  We rely so much on counter attack still.

i hate the way we play too.

But here's the thing.  We created some golden chances against bot Victory and the Mariners.  A better finisher and we could have put half a dozen past both of them.  We have a better finisher who is yet to play.

The middle of defense has been shorn up by Weillart and Kisnorbo.  People have noted Behich is not as attacking as he was.  But defensively he has been great. .  Redmayne really has only had a few saves to make in 180 minutes of fotball. This is by design  If they don't score, you can't lose.

The club needs results. We're creating more genuine goal scoring chances than our opponents.  We just need to finish them.  Winning football is good football. 

The problem we have is that with Behich still recovering his playing form and not being as attacking as he was, and Hoffman barely managing at RB yet alone attacking much, we lose much of our width in attack. Walker is more attacking than Hoffman and would restore some of that balance. The other problem for Behich is that both MV and CCM have specifically targeted Hoffman and so there's less play on Behich's side of the pitch.

Be patient though, results will come if Mifsud is as good as he looks and Kewell can string together a series of games between injuries. Even better with Engelaar when he returns.

My major criticism of GolGol yesterday is that after he missed the chance to put us 3-0 up he lay prone on the ground in the CCM goal area in mental anguish for some time while play continued. Had we attacked again he was yards off-side. A true professional gets up and gets on with the game rather than feeling sorry for himself. He needs to get that sort of thing out of his game to be worthy of a regular place in the team.

Also, it looks as though we're going to continue with this style of play: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/aloisi--heart-s-style-here-to-stay/77385

Really liked the post game interview from JA, sounds like he really knows what he's doing and answers a lot of questions to why he picks the players he does, and what he wants from his players. Took a lot of  positives from it.

We've played very well against 2 title contenders so far so maybe the first year was just the learning curve he needed, as well as being able to pick the players he wanted to suit his style, which he wasn't able to do last year. 

• Like 1