Melbourne Football

Flick here for Subbuteo

KSK_47

Due to it being Christmas and I have genorous grandmothers, I have now come in to possession of a sum of money that I would like to finally use on a fine set of subbuteo. However, I'm not sure as to which would be better to purchase. I love the old style sets as they have a rich history and look amazing, but to play with, a modern set is more sturdy, which would be beneficial as I am going to use it.

Both old and new sets are around the same price, so what set should you guys recommend I buy?

Due to it being Christmas and I have genorous grandmothers, I have now come in to possession of a sum of money that I would like to finally use on a fine set of subbuteo. However, I'm not sure as to which would be better to purchase. I love the old style sets as they have a rich history and look amazing, but to play with, a modern set is more sturdy, which would be beneficial as I am going to use it.

Both old and new sets are around the same price, so what set should you guys recommend I buy?

I read somewhere on a subbuteo facebook page that a certain type of brand that tried to revive subbuteo or something totally fucked it.

I am not sure what brand that would be but I have been purchasing the 80's / 90's brand for example:

http://www.ebay.com....1f536c15&_uhb=1

I am interested from someone to give feedback on the this new brand "total soccer" if their quality + bases are better than the type that I have shown in my first link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIORENTINA-2010-2011-TOTAL-SOCCER-SUBBUTEO-TEAM-/330843052094?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Subbuteo_SM&hash=item4d07c8583e&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1414

Edited by Young Polak

Nice one Hazzaverx.

If you want a good starter set (complete with two teams, ball, goals, scoreboard and pitch) the dream team stadium set is quality.

The only negative is the two teams are real life (Veron, Crespo, Giggs etc) plastic card players that snap onto the regular Subbuteo base. It's not really an issue if you're looking to buy a proper subbuteo team in the future anyway...

Subbuteo-Dream-Team-Stadium-Boxed-Set_700_600_1OTB6.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!ooFBsd(QfqwBQn5eBH3OQ~~60_35.JPG

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)CPBQn5Y4iIG!~~60_35.JPG

They're pretty common on eBay or online stores!

If you're after a team, I highly recommend http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21, they're based in the UK but generally deliver to Aus in under 2 weeks - have made many orders through them and find they're the best. Have a look around and see if they have any teams you like or buy a blank set and paint your own.

• Like 1

I read somewhere on a subbuteo facebook page that a certain type of brand that tried to revive subbuteo or something totally fucked it.

I am not sure what brand that would be but I have been purchasing the 80's / 90's brand for example:

I am interested from someone to give feedback on the this new brand "total soccer" if their quality + bases are better than the type that I have shown in my first link.

http://www.ebay.com....1#ht_500wt_1414

YP, I've sets from both Total Soccer and the older styled Subbuteo bases.

The TS sets look much nicer (IMO) with their "ultra realistic" paint jobs and scanned detail and the bases are a little lighter + dig under the ball more than the older Subbuteo styled sets.

They're pretty similar tbh, just depends whether you enjoy painting your own sets and trying to replicate the TS detail on a blank set or old Subbuteo set or whether you're happy using a pre painted set.

As a general rule, the older Subbuteo sets are usually heavier and thus knock the ball further but like I said before, not a massive difference!

Also, many people buy TS for the detailed kits & player models and then put the players onto a Subbuteo base to create a 'better' hybrid - maybe something to consider if you're happy to buy a couple of different sets?

Hybrid set (Total Soccer players on Subbuteo bases)

11bpxye.jpg

Edited by Mike Bassett

http://www.ebay.com....1#ht_500wt_1414

YP, I've sets from both Total Soccer and the older styled Subbuteo bases.

The TS sets look much nicer (IMO) with their "ultra realistic" paint jobs and scanned detail and the bases are a little lighter + dig under the ball more than the older Subbuteo styled sets.

They're pretty similar tbh, just depends whether you enjoy painting your own sets and trying to replicate the TS detail on a blank set or old Subbuteo set or whether you're happy using a pre painted set.

As a general rule, the older Subbuteo sets are usually heavier and thus knock the ball further but like I said before, not a massive difference!

Also, many people buy TS for the detailed kits & player models and then put the players onto a Subbuteo base to create a 'better' hybrid - maybe something to consider if you're happy to buy a couple of different sets?

Hybrid set (Total Soccer players on Subbuteo bases)

11bpxye.jpg

Yeah, want to purchase some TS just because their paint jobs are much nicer and there is only few of them on ebay.

If they dig more under the ball as you said then that's fantastic, I have always been frustrated in attempting to lift the ball from the ground with my older subbuteo players so the TS figures seem promising

If anyone finds a seller on ebay or what not selling Melbourne heart or other a-league teams, please mention it (if they have more than 1 in stock)

would be all over that shit

Agreed, however I don't think there is many as I have looked myself..

But, subbuteoworld sell blank packs with bases for around $15 Australian maybe a bit less, so if you have some painting skills, could give that a go

Agreed, however I don't think there is many as I have looked myself..

But, subbuteoworld sell blank packs with bases for around $15 Australian maybe a bit less, so if you have some painting skills, could give that a go

might as well...

One can only try.. Haha I'm keen to give it a shot, when/if I get around to it ill post it up haha

Until then I just hope that subbuteoz guy does heart

Congrats on the new set Hazzaverx - looks a good one.

Re finding a Heart set, they're pretty difficult to track down but if you bought an Olympiakos or Southampton/Stoke/Sunderland set (with stripes close to the MHFC kit) it makes life a little easier than painting stripes on a blank set.

A couple of people have painted their own sets, could be worthwhile using these as a guide:

417269_501573379853059_2371339_n.jpg

264273_501573279853069_1352341007_n.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Mike Bassett
  • Like 1

the materials are en route and shortly the construction will start.

i'm not really interested in playing but i like collecting so i've been putting together my stadia before i get a few teams and set something up in a display case or summat. the 'sets' available didn't really do it for me so i've started from scratch building up the intricacies one by one.

1. ticket office/merch stand terrace inserts (terraces not included)

$%28KGrHqZHJDoFCBsN3oJyBQmt4EnI+w~~60_1.JPG

2. turnstile/gates terrace inserts (terraces not included)

$%28KGrHqVHJEoFDOLn43%28IBQ0cY!eCzg~~60_1.JPG

3. felt pitch

$%28KGrHqJ,!hoF!e-9go0IBQS7QNlHJw~~60_1.JPG

4. outside tv broadcast unit + staff

$%28KGrHqJ,!o4FC!D4wNePBQw,ezrf,Q~~60_1.JPG

5. two terraces with advertising stickers

$T2eC16NHJGwE9n%29ySfF8BQRGhreYDw~~60_1.JPG

• Like 2

Went a bit crazy last night on ebay, started purchasing things for my little stadium.

- 2 Tanned terraces

- 3 Grey Terraces

from looking at images looks about roughly 5 terraces to complete the length of a pitch excluding corners

ACAB (with netting)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321046044563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_962wt_1397

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321049622342?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1082wt_1139

- 2 lots of 500 loose zuego brand unpainted supporters

Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150970714657?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_589wt_1397

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150970713247?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_589wt_1397

And the teams: Chelsea, River Plate and Atletico Madrid

Edited by Young Polak

well 3 terraces have arrived, supporters coming soon, any suggestions as to how I could create some flags + banners with them? noticed some had coloured toilet paper, what chemical product is needed for it to harden up?

And also what about having images on flags? to you just print it on paper and paste it onto another material to create the flexible/waving motion?

well 3 terraces have arrived, supporters coming soon, any suggestions as to how I could create some flags + banners with them? noticed some had coloured toilet paper, what chemical product is needed for it to harden up?

And also what about having images on flags? to you just print it on paper and paste it onto another material to create the flexible/waving motion?

Waving I'm not too sure, but you could always paint some toothpicks then stick desired paper/material to them, only flaw is they wouldn't be flexible obviously, if that's what you're looking for

Waving I'm not too sure, but you could always paint some toothpicks then stick desired paper/material to them, only flaw is they wouldn't be flexible obviously, if that's what you're looking for

I'm just looking at page 5 with the pics I've posted and just curious as to how to make the flags look flexible, even with the toilet paper ones, it's been shaped to wave a bit and then covered with some chemical to become as hard as a rock, forgot what people used but yeah it's frustrating since I knew the technique of this a long time ago

Yeah sorry cant help you out there mate.. Do post us up what you achieve though! Curious to see what others do with their sets! :)

well, my update would take forever if I have to paint 1000 fans and figure out my banners and flags and how ill do them. I'm still waiting for the fans to come and I need to go to a local hobby shop to buy some paint and some fresh new brushes.

But I have purchased an olympiakos team and looks almost like Melbourne since there are no sponsors on the shirts, my initial aim is to make a y-side terrace along with a small group of away supporters.

• Like 1