Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

Melbourne Heart FC Re-Signs Patrick Kisnorbo

Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Melbourne Heart FC has today announced central defender Patrick Kisnorbo has signed a new deal with the Club.

Kisnorbo, 33, has been an important feature in Melbourne Heart’s defence during the Hyundai A-League 2013-14 season and has extended his term at the Club with a one-year deal.

The robust centre back has demonstrated his reliability against some of the league’s most dangerous strikers while also providing an attacking threat from set-pieces, scoring two goals this season.

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip said Kisnorbo would be a valuable member of the squad next season.

“Patrick has improved further in his role as centre back and is a true leader at this Club,” van’t Schip said.

“Patrick is experienced, relishes a challenge and while he loves defending, he also brings an added aerial threat from free-kicks and corners.”

Kisnorbo, who is originally from Melbourne but has played much of his career in England, said he was excited to be a part of the Club next season in the city in which he grew up.

“Melbourne and this Club is now home for me and I am delighted to remain here next season,” Kisnorbo said.

“There is a burning desire for us to perform next season and I want to help this Club achieve success.”

Kisnorbo joins David Williams, Tando Velaphi and Jason Hoffman as recent players who have re-signed for the Club.

Patrick Kisnorbo

Pronunciation : Pa-trik KISS-Nor-bo

DOB : 24 March 1981 (age 33)

Place of birth : Melbourne, Australia

Position : Central Defender

Current contract details : One-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season)

Appearances (Melbourne Heart FC): 20 appearances, 2 goals

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-ReSigns-Patrick-Kisnorbo/89561

scored more goals than misfud. striker position now filled :D

Pleased with the re-signing. 

Kisnorbo and our other centre-backs, on the whole, have been respectable defensively. IMO the fullback positions have been the problem spots. So it's good to see Kisnorbo is re-signed, as he has given the team valuable steel in defence. I also think he could improve a bit more with the ball and his decision-making, but I expect that to happen.

I still think Heart need another CB, like Brendan Hamill or Luke DeVere, and another CB who's young, like Ross Archibald. Then We'll be perfect for central defenders IMO.

I think this re-signing just about gets the re-signings out of the way, and now is the time to start with the new signings.

Edited by Murfy1

Ha, spoke with him at the airport on Saturday. Asked him whether he'd be around next season. Got the hint he wanted out. The bastard lied!

same response in Brisbane the week before, and seemed pretty pissed off he 'hadn't been approached' 

Very happy with this. I want this man to lead my team out next season.

• Like 1

Top 3 favorite Heart players of all time. Always good feels when the club signs a player that you've been requesting to be at the club for years.

Plays exactly how I imagined he would. Hope he plays for us until his retirement. Melbourne born & bred, fucking love this bloke so much.

Yeah, I do like him and rate him, but he has to realise that he doesn't ALWAYS have to clear his head! He'll go down to knee-high to header a ball when he could've easily used his feet!

Probably easier for him to control it with his head than off a half-volley, a lot of the time it's better than just hoofing it.

$100 says he's our captain in 2014/15

I don't bet. But if I did I would take that bet. 

Just realised I lied. I made a bet before the season started for 100 beers that Heart would not win silverware this season. I was so convinced that JA was incapable of taking us all the way that I became a gambling man to make my point. I even figured that if he was replaced the damage would already have been done. 

$100 says he's our captain in 2014/15

I don't bet. But if I did I would take that bet.

Just realised I lied. I made a bet before the season started for 100 beers that Heart would not win silverware this season. I was so convinced that JA was incapable of taking us all the way that I became a gambling man to make my point. I even figured that if he was replaced the damage would already have been done. Oh my - somebody else can read the tea leaves.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Patrick Kisnorbo goes from Melbourne Heart outcast last season to City skipper in 2014-15

David Davutovic

October 20, 2014

BENCHED by John van’t Schip last season and with just four months left on his contract, defender Patrick Kisnorbo thought his Melbourne City career was over.

But Manchester City’s $11.25m purchase of the A-League club in late January triggered a stunning reversal in fortunes.

Kisnorbo was recalled to the first 11 that week, where he scored in a 2-2 draw with Adelaide United, and the stunning transformation was complete when he was asked to lead group of stars like David Villa, Robert Koren and Damien Duff in the first season of the club’s new guise.

“I really didn’t know where my future was, I thought my time at Heart had come to an end,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“I didn’t know what he (van’t Schip) thought. When JA (John Aloisi) got sacked and JVS came in I got dropped for a couple of games and my future was up in the air.

“Then I got picked again and stayed until the end of the season and now it’s done a whole full circle.

“To be honest I didn’t see this (the captaincy) coming, I was very surprised. I’m grateful to him and (football manager) John Didulica who had a major part in it and hopefully I can repay them and the City Group.

“I’m fortunate to have been appointed captain and I want to remain here for life, perhaps move into coaching.’’

If last season’s Melbourne derbys or last Saturday’s Sydney equivalent are anything to go by, one can expect a feisty affair on Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

Kisnorbo was sent off for an early challenge on Victory’s Connor Pain, which finished as City’s 16th game without a win and heaped pressure on Aloisi, who was sacked a week later.

Born and bred in Melbourne, Kisnorbo cut his teeth in the Scottish Premier League and English Championship, where he carved a stellar 10-year career with Hearts, Leicester City and Leeds United.

And while his studs were showing, it was the kind of tackle that would’ve been viewed very differently in the UK.

“I got a red card for something that in England you would get a pat on the back for,’’ he said.

“I’ve had to adapt coming from an environment where it’s all in and tackles are made, bodies on the line.

“One of the first ones when I gave away the penalty against Central Coast and to be honest if you watch the World Cup or watch every game in England, that’s normal, but here you get crucified.

“You have to learn, you have to be a bit more careful here, but it doesn’t change the player that I am. I’ll still be hard and put my body on the line, just at a modified rate.’’

Another habit he’s had to change is his dialogue with referees.

Kisnorbo, 33, has always been the animated type.

“I’ll definitely have to watch my language. It’s just the heat of the moment, I don’t care what anyone says, in the heat of the moment, anyone at anytime can blow up,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“We recently saw Arsene Wenger push Jose Mourinho uncharacteristically.

“But I’m going to have to lead by example and speak to the refs like I want to be spoken to.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/patrick-kisnorbo-goes-from-melbourne-heart-outcast-last-season-to-city-skipper-in-201415/story-fnk6rlg0-1227096528635

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from his header he was poor last night. Kisnorbo was lucky not to be sent off, had one of the poorest games I've seen from him when it came to passing, and lost track of numerous runs from Adelaide players in behind our defence, such as Adelaide's first goal where Kisnorbo was out of position a few metres in front of the near post allowing Dijite to drift in and head home at the near post.

• 5 months later...

No talks yet as Kisnorbo seeks City stay

By Iain Strachan

08/04/2015

The skipper wants to stick around and be a part of the exciting project at the league's second newest side but it remains to be seen if both parties are keen

In-form centre-back Patrick Kisnorbo says he wants to stay at Melbourne City but is yet to begin contract negotiations with the A-League club.

Nearing the end of his second season with the team, the 34-year-old is producing some of his best performances since returning to Australia in 2013, following a career that took in Heart of Midlothian, Leicester City and Leeds United in the UK.

Speaking before a club function on Wednesday, the rugged former South Melbourne defender - out of contract at the end of the campaign - confirmed he wants to remain with John van 't Schip's side but is taking a relaxed approach to any potential renewal.

"I'd love to stay at the club," he said.

"It's a great club, it's a club that's got a big future. But at the end of the day I'm not going to worry about next year. I'll worry about day-by-day and game-by-game. That's it."

Asked if any attempt to initiate talks had been made, he said: "No, nothing like that. I'm not worrying about it. Whatever happens, happens."

City are on track to finish sixth in the regular season and claim the final berth in the 2014-15 playoffs, ahead of reigning champions Brisbane Roar.

On Sunday they play host to Wellington Phoenix, who led the competition briefly before suffering successive 3-0 losses at home to Sydney FC and then Melbourne Victory in their last two matches.

"Wellington have come off two bad results so we know they'll be fighting. So are we," Kisnorbo said.

As for his team's recent upturn in form, the 18-cap Socceroo offered a reminder that City - until this season known as Melbourne Heart - are still searching for long-term consistency of performance, despite shedding their old name.

"There's no point doing it for four games. We need to do it for seasons," he said.

Finally, the veteran would not be drawn on the potential outcome of Football Federation Australia's investigation into alleged salary cap breaches at Perth Glory, who are level on points with league leaders Victory but face the possibility of a points reduction or even expulsion from the finals.

"It's none of our business. You should ask them. It's not a matter I'm going to comment on. I'm not David Gallop, you'll have to ask him," he added, referring to the FFA chief executive.

"I'm just a player, I worry about training and playing on the pitch."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/04/08/10561742/no-talks-yet-as-kisnorbo-seeks-city-stay

Edited by Murfy1

KISNORBO TO SIGN ON AT MELBOURNE CITY

10 APR 2015 

AAP

Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip revealed the A-League team's captain Patrick Kisnorbo will be retained by the club for next season.

Kisnorbo's contract was due to expire at the end of the 2014-2015 campaign, having signed a one-year extension last April.

But van 't Schip said on Friday the lion-hearted defender would saddle up for a third season with City.

"Patrick is still contracted for one more year and is going to be with us next year," he said.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/10/kisnorbo-sign-melbourne-city

• Like 1

I guess negotiations moved swiftly...

I reckon there was an option for Kisnorbo to play for 1 more season agreed in the last contract, and now both Kisnorbo and the club have agreed to exercise that option.

So Kisnorbo will be around for 2015/16. That means the club now has 2 central defenders, Chapman and Kisnorbo, signed up for next season.

Pretty sure this is the first mention on next seasons contracts.

Hopefully we see some more (Safuwan, Novillo for me) soon.

I actually hope they wait. Play out the season win maybe a finals game. Then assess the list and see what's out there. The only time IMO you extend contracts if the player coming out is going to walk and you need him. 

But what do I know.

Not sure about this one. He pulled up his socks for the last few games but was a nightmare in some of the games earlier on in the season. Did he see that his contract was on the line and being at his age no one would pick him up hence why he tried his heart out last few games? Time will tell next season. But good luck to him anyway.

Not sure about this one. He pulled up his socks for the last few games but was a nightmare in some of the games earlier on in the season. Did he see that his contract was on the line and being at his age no one would pick him up hence why he tried his heart out last few games? Time will tell next season. But good luck to him anyway.

His effort was always top notch. Its our change in style of play that's helped him more than anything.

Agree that Kisnorbo was rather disappointing earlier in the season. And it does feel like too many players at this club only show their A game near the end of their contracts (e.g. Williams last season, and Kisnorbo and Germano this season).

But in Kisnorbo's case though I think his effort was always 100%, and his did produce valuable last-ditch tackles. Although now his overall defending is even better, and I reckon it's half down to the change in tactics (not always playing a suicidally high defensive line, often without the necessary pressing as well), and half down to the change in personnel, with competent fullbacks and a competent goalkeeper, together with an appropriate CB in Chapman for him to partner with (as he's athletic and young, not old and immobile) explaining why Kisnorbo's defensive qualities have been clear to see in the 2nd half of the season.

Means Jailens must be gone.

It'll be interesting what happens with Jaliens and Safuwan. I reckon they'll likely be fighting over the remaining central defender contract, and I'm pretty sure they both won't be kept.

I can see the club signing a proper fullback, such as Ivan Franjic, before next season. So for the remainder of the season Jaliens and Safuwan will be competing to stick around for next season (I reckon we could see a fair bit of competition for contracts towards the end of the season, as I reckon Murdocca and Germano could well be competing for 1 contract as well).