Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

Is it ironic that his comment before the game is exactly the problem we've been talking about, the stubborn 'city way of football.'

"We believe in a brand of football, we've seen that on our day, when we do it well it's great." 

What about when we don't do it well? What do we do?...

"It's just about trying to do that consistently over a 90 minute period." 

Might be taking this last comment a bit too literally but sounds like if plan A fails just do it better. 

13 minutes ago, n i k o said:

"We believe in long balls to an isolated Jamie Maclaren, we've seen that on our day, when we do it well it's great, it worked last season”

"It's just about trying to do that consistently over a 90 minute period."

I’ve rephrased this for us.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Is it ironic that his comment before the game is exactly the problem we've been talking about, the stubborn 'city way of football.'

"We believe in a brand of football, we've seen that on our day, when we do it well it's great." 

That's just about the most stupid comment ever. Of course "on your day" what you do works for you - that's why it's "your day."

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 9:11 AM, mus-28 said:

Tony Popovic is another loss away from the clubs fans storming the training ground in Greece. If/When he becomes available we'd be stupid not to seriously look at him. 

On 07/02/2021 at 10:24 AM, HughJass said:

First loss of the season? Extremely doubt he'll be getting sacked any time soon 

Welcome to Greek football 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

No. early days. 
Still it’s looking a lot brighter than earlier.

I agree mate. To lose two midfielders and still put on a creditable performance is impressive. But that said,  it's what I would expect from a professional football club.

Happy to wipe the egg off my face - the club is clearly in much better stead than I thought, and it was really interesting to hear Nabbout's heaping praise for the medical/performance staff.

Still early days but 3 wins a row definitely makes the 3 losses in a row seem like a distant memory now. Well done Paddy.

My criticism still stands in that i think Paddy's lack of pragmatism is a major weakness, however you also have to give credit where its due in terms of getting Plan A to function well, especially that well.

I certainly think any doubts anyone may have had over whether he has lost the players or the team culture can be absolutely dispelled however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I’m still worried about the micro management on the sideline and the 90minutes of shouting to the players.

Personally that annoyed me when I was playing back in my day.

It’s not my style either. I much prefer the Mombearts approach. 
Still very early days in Paddy’s career. There will be plenty of setbacks to come. To me the most important thing is after 6 poor games he and his coaching team were able to assess what was wrong and fix it. Shows he is willing and able to learn.

• Like 1

Loved his response in the interview straight after the game. Think it was Zappa asking him if he spared a thought for victory and their coach. 

PK's response was along the lines of: ' it's football. To comment on them would take away from our performance.'

Perfect response to a fukn stupid question. Quite mature too given the adrenaline he would have had then.

Edited by rass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’m still worried about the micro management on the sideline and the 90minutes of shouting to the players.

Personally that annoyed me when I was playing back in my day.

Do you think they really hear it? I'm not sure about that.

Now everyone knows that I'm a poor analyst of the game (I watch the ball too much), but I thought what we saw was the lads playing the way PK and his assistants want Melbourne City to play rather than slavish adherence to the "City way." Manchester City may be top of the EPL but, FMD, they are a boring side to watch. I'd much rather watch the sort of play we had last night than endless sideways passing.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Do you think they really hear it? I'm not sure about that.

Now everyone knows that I'm a poor analyst of the game (I watch the ball too much), but I thought what we saw was the lads playing the way PK and his assistants want Melbourne City to play rather than slavish adherence to the "City way." Manchester City may be top of the EPL but, FMD, they are a boring side to watch. I'd much rather watch the sort of play we had last night than endless sideways passing.

In an empty stadium you can certainly hear it also as a player, especially if you are on side line near him. I guess it depends on the player itself if it effects them. 

54 minutes ago, rass said:

Loved his response in the interview straight after the game. Think it was Zappa asking him if he spared a thought for victory and their coach. 

PK's response was along the lines of: ' it's football. To comment on them would take away from our performance.'

Perfect response to a fukn stupid question. Quite mature too given the adrenaline he would have had then.

The whole post game show turned into the Victory sook show, PK and Nabbout all got asked the same type of question “if they felt sorry for Brebs and Victory”. Who does Zappa back?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Geez, no wonder him and Archie had the tissues out and only wanted to talk about their club rather than our performance.

The football "world" in Australia is pretty small. It doesn't surprise me, especially with Victory being where they are at the moment.

19 hours ago, Mr MO said:

The whole post game show turned into the Victory sook show, PK and Nabbout all got asked the same type of question “if they felt sorry for Brebs and Victory”. Who does Zappa back?

I thought Fox got the mix wrong there. Should of been more about the fantastic win.

and trying to bring Paddy into it, what was that? 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I thought Fox got the mix wrong there. Should of been more about the fantastic win.

and trying to bring Paddy into it, what was that? 

Agree, Zappaz and Archie missed the mark post game.

Trying to bait Nabbout on commenting on Grant Brebner’s position at the club, Archie just came across as a schoolyard kid trying to stoke the flames of gossip.

I loved the post-match personally. I don't think the furore concerning Victory's turmoil was a blight on our performance in the slightest - if anything, it enhanced it for me.

Knowing that Victory's rock-bottom moment was delivered by our club in a derby, followed by Archie and Zappone dribbling on about their years of decay leading to this very moment was viewing bliss. That wasn't our Grand Final but it was Victory's lowest point, so it makes sense to me that it was the story they ran with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nate said:

I loved the post-match personally. I don't think the furore concerning Victory's turmoil was a blight on our performance in the slightest - if anything, it enhanced it for me.

Knowing that Victory's rock-bottom moment was delivered by our club in a derby, followed by Archie and Zappone dribbling on about their years of decay leading to this very moment was viewing bliss. That wasn't our Grand Final but it was Victory's lowest point, so it makes sense to me that it was the story they ran with.

You are spot on however the comments are more about the questions they asked to PK and Nabbout - these questions weren't about the city performance but what they are thinking about Brebner, Victory and if we feel sorry for them.  It was enternaining none the less!

On 07/03/2021 at 1:51 PM, Mr MO said:

Anyone know where I can find the video of these post game interviews?

3 minutes ago, rass said:

It was weird. They had their cameras trained on this one victory fan for ages. Made him look like an absolute loser. As much as I can't stand them, i thought that was a bit rough from fox.

...though i did laugh too...

It's a bit of a favourite with match TV. I remember one (in England) a few seasons ago where the camera was focussed on a young lad behind the goal crying as Birmingham City (IIRC) were consigned to relegation. Poor little fella. Probably got a hell of a time at school over that.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah I don't understand how anyone benefits from just 5-10 minutes of game time when you're up 2-0...

I think PK is very much aware of the old "Heart syndrome" - coughing up points in the final minutes. He refers to it obliquely in his post-match presser in which he mentions that had that "penalty" decision gone against us we would have been back to 2-1 and (paraphrase) having to play out the final 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think PK is very much aware of the old "Heart syndrome" - coughing up points in the final minutes. He refers to it obliquely in his post-match presser in which he mentions that had that "penalty" decision gone against us we would have been back to 2-1 and (paraphrase) having to play out the final 10 minutes or so.

We are going to need to start giving game time to some of the fringe players come finals during the international window we could lose 

JMac, Nabbout, Good, Atkinson & metcalfe to international duties that’s half our starting 11

• Like 1

First time I have heard him talk at length, two interviews tonight on kayo. Kind of reminds me of by boss, half the time talks bullshit and half the time he is serious, with very little subtlety between. I liked his response to Robinson, Carl did it to more to get a response from his team but run into Kisnorbo who took it to him.

It seems he is a very good coach.