Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nevertheless, as fans of Heart/City we've been very forgiving of the club over 10 seasons now. We've had the CFA with all its facilities for several seasons now and  IMO we should lift our expectations.

We need to align our expectations with our budget, that’s all what matters. The stats on cap management and put your money directly on the pitch don’t lie.

If long term we are being outspend by others (in a healthy league) mainly on the marquee and visa players then we will be top 3 but no dominating force. We should aim higher than the Jmacs and Berenguers in order to do so.

Edited by Mr MO

29 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We should aim higher than the Jmacs and Berenguers in order to do so.

Can we even realistically aim higher than MacLaren? Golden boot winner, proven entity, matchwinner and leader, current Socceroo, marketable and recognisable, in his prime...MacLaren is what we should be aiming for and everything you could want in a marquee in Australia, not a base level marquee. It isn't as if he is Josip Tadic.

Berenguer sure I agree, but the only way MacLaren is not an outstanding marquee in the A-League is if it improved so much that we were grabbing genuinely good foreigners with recognisable names that draw crowds and aren't past their prime which is decades (if not centuries) off, and even then I doubt they would provide a significantly better return on field than Jamie. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Can we even realistically aim higher than MacLaren? Golden boot winner, proven entity, matchwinner and leader, current Socceroo, marketable and recognisable, in his prime...MacLaren is what we should be aiming for and everything you could want in a marquee in Australia, not a base level marquee. It isn't as if he is Josip Tadic.

Berenguer sure I agree, but the only way MacLaren is not an outstanding marquee in the A-League is if it improved so much that we were grabbing genuinely good foreigners with recognisable names that draw crowds and aren't past their prime which is decades (if not centuries) off, and even then I doubt they would provide a significantly better return on field than Jamie. 

Realistically NOT, looking at it through today’s glasses but I would like to aim higher with a bigger marquee budget! 

Its the endless discussion we can have, whilst I value the tap ins, penalties and other goals from inside the box - personally I’m always frustrated with the lack of footballing skills, poor first touch and failing to setup others in play.

I would like my marquees to push and direct the team for 90minutes and not vanish for most of the game and pop up in the 85th with a penalty.

I completely acknowledge that this will come with a much higher price but if you want to be a force also in the ACL we need to do much better on those two spots.

7 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

This may be what you meant by marketing, but to add to everything you've mentioned, he's a Melbourne boy. For me, that means a great deal. I wish people spoke about that more with genuine pride. Victorians are incredibly parochial beings, however I feel like a lot of that is absent in Melbourne City supporters.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IssySG said:

This may be what you meant by marketing, but to add to everything you've mentioned, he's a Melbourne boy. For me, that means a great deal. I wish people spoke about that more with genuine pride. Victorians are incredibly parochial beings, however I feel like a lot of that is absent in Melbourne City supporters.

That's because we're owned by overseas interests, and not even one of our four directors is Australian, let alone Victorian. Contrast Melbourne Heart - have a look at the old videos - we had real fans in those days. We were a Melbourne club then, not the antipodean branch of City Football Group.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's because we're owned by overseas interests, and not even one of our four directors is Australian, let alone Victorian. Contrast Melbourne Heart - have a look at the old videos - we had real fans in those days. We were a Melbourne club then, not the antipodean branch of City Football Group.

Our CEO is Victorian 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now the questions will be made. I'm interested to see what sort of reaction he gets out of the squad and whether he changes his set up.

His next 2 games with be fascinating and as an extension his next 8 to 10 games will determine what sort of a career he will have in the short term. 

Hopefully he can survive the test.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I agree he doesn’t seem up to it yet, but I do feel bad for him. He’s been chucked in the deep end because the club/cfg took the cheap and easy option rather than actually looking for a proper Mombaerts replacement (or even fighting more to keep him here.)

They took a cheap option with the squad. 

13 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

The balance is way off too many wingers and fullbacks imo 

This is true. I didn’t appreciate the imbalance, I figured we’d sign another CB or two. One CB just wasn’t enough, despite Griffiths being more than competent down back. Never really replacing Brillante was another mistake. Too many FBs and attacking midfield types. 

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He's a nice guy and he's good with the media... and just unlucky

Just on the media point...I don’t mean to be rude but listening to him in press conferences is a painful exercise. Can’t string too many words together and when he does he just speaks in cliches. Not sure if it’s just nerves or a lack of media training but he’s not great. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Just on the media point...I don’t mean to be rude but listening to him in press conferences is a painful exercise. Can’t string too many words together and when he does he just speaks in cliches. Not sure if it’s just nerves or a lack of media training but he’s not great. 

He’s a blokey bloke, one of the boys - not a classic well spoken manager. I’ve noticed it too, it comes across a unintelligent without this not necessarily being the case.

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Reminds me of Joyce press conferences tbh 

I don't think the blame lies with PK. He could reasonably expected that a coach with a three year contract who took us to the GF and the ACL would have stayed at least one further season. A fish rots from the head, and I think we have to look further up the chain of command. Other than the flagship Manchester City - which IMO is where it is only because of the obscene amounts of money poured into it - what other CFG club is consistently successful?

I'm not convinced that the heads of CFG care much about football at all, and IMO they are just using it as a vehicle for enhancing their own wealth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think the blame lies with PK. He could reasonably expected that a coach with a three year contract who took us to the GF and the ACL would have stayed at least one further season. A fish rots from the head, and I think we have to look further up the chain of command. Other than the flagship Manchester City - which IMO is where it is only because of the obscene amounts of money poured into it - what other CFG club is consistently successful?

I'm not convinced that the heads of CFG care much about football at all, and IMO they are just using it as a vehicle for enhancing their own wealth.

I don’t follow many of the clubs but NYCFC best result is 1st on the table and SF in playoffs, Yokohama that they don’t own much of won the title and the rest havent heard that they won anything ?. Girona got relegated 2 seasons ago 

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I didn't mean it literally, those were the comments Heart made to justify Aloisi's appointment

Looks like Paddy will be on a steep learning curve this season. We have a discipline issue that needs to be rectified asap and we've leaked 9 goals in 5 games averaging almost 2 goals each game. He'd be feeling the pinch, I hope he has a strong bond between himself and the team and they have faith in his ability to manage them. 

13 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Is it too late to register him as a player. The world needs more of the old school player/manager leading the way on the park.

At the rate we're losing defenders, I wouldn't be surprised to see PK put a kit on.... might get Simon Colosimo back in too

The biggest team change for this season is the new coach.  It was expected that PK as a rookie head coach won't be successful as EM. PK wasn't successful with our women super team, as well. He is responsible for the lack of discipline, so many red cards. Actually, he stimulates that.  PK treats the players as mates, which is incorrect. It will take time and patience. 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 11:11 AM, KSK_47 said:

I am not saying that I am expecting him to fail. I just have concerns, as our fan base has a long history of making excuses and accepting mediocrity. We saw the difference a coach can make in one season under mombaerts. We need to start demanding more than 'close enough'. 

Who knows- maybe (hopefully) Paddy is going to smash it. I just feel it's a bit of a risky move at a pivotal time for the club.

One great thing to come out of that cluster fuck of a season is the unity and belief that we can win. We need to capitalize on that. If the next manager cant deliver (no matter who they are) it's going to undo everything that was built 

Hmmmmm

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Aleague Hub reported this a month ago. There seemed to be some suggestion it could be Kisnorbo. 

An A-League manager is currently refusing to speak to his players when they approach him - Not taking their calls and letting his assistant deal with them.

I find that hard to believe.

Garcia on the other hand....

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Aleague Hub reported this a month ago. There seemed to be some suggestion it could be Kisnorbo. 

An A-League manager is currently refusing to speak to his players when they approach him - Not taking their calls and letting his assistant deal with them.

On twitter rumor was Rudan or Corica, Facebook was Kisnorbo 

Let's not get this out of perspective. Even if it is PK then he is just a line manager and has Petrillo and Rowse above him. We saw this shit with Fornaroli/Kilkenny and Joyce; senior people in the organization failed then, and have to nip this shit in the bud now if it really is City.