Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

To be quite honest we’ve had good squads in 16/17,17/18,19/20 he’s done he’s job to a certain degree made mistakes but us not winning a premiership till now is not all on Petrillo. Joyce had good squads could never get it done. JVS had a $9m squad in 16/17

Yesterday Joyce was actually really good and now Petrillo is our saviour - I’ll take it all in, we’ve won the league!

Edited by Mr MO

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Funny what a little Premiership can do...

The "Sack Paddy" and "Squad signing has been horrible" threads deserve some sort of award, as does the continual bagging of Captain Jamo earlier in the season.

And there must be a few posts from me scattered across the threads that are now a trifle embarrassing....

We all need to press the reset button. We're no longer the also-rans, we're the 2020-21 Premiers, into the ACL proper, and the "benchmark club" according to a couple of coaches out there.

Value of hindsight - I'm not embarrassed by my opinions made in a different context.

I don't think anyone foresaw the kind of season we were going to end up having after those 3 awful losses in a row, and a lot of the criticism was justified - particularly towards Jamo after his inexcusable red card (definitely over the top criticism of course but what's the point of being a supporter if you're going to be passive?)

Obviously the rest is history and Jamieson has since established himself as the best left-back and captain in the league, and Kisnorbo has dragged us to the pinnacle against the odds.
We are the benchmark club now and long may we reign - however, the A-League's greatest strength is its competitiveness from 1st to 12th (most seasons) so I'm looking forward to what and who we bring in to maintain the new status quo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nate said:

Value of hindsight - I'm not embarrassed by my opinions made in a different context.

I don't think anyone foresaw the kind of season we were going to end up having after those 3 awful losses in a row, and a lot of the criticism was justified - particularly towards Jamo after his inexcusable red card (definitely over the top criticism of course but what's the point of being a supporter if you're going to be passive?)

Obviously the rest is history and Jamieson has since established himself as the best left-back and captain in the league, and Kisnorbo has dragged us to the pinnacle against the odds.
We are the benchmark club now and long may we reign - however, the A-League's greatest strength is its competitiveness from 1st to 12th (most seasons) so I'm looking forward to what and who we bring in to maintain the new status quo. 

100% agree with the part on Jamo.

The criticism of him at the time was completely justified and warranted just as the praise for him now is equally justified and warranted. The latter probably more.

He turned his season around drastically (something that is no small feat) and deserves praise not only for the markedly improved performances, but for actually striving to make it happen. 

I have been a vocal critic of his over the years and will admit that he has definitely proved me wrong in what I thought he was capable of. Lets hope the other players who are the target of my negative postings can do likewise and bring us home the coveted dunny seat!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Geez we have a short memory haha. The previously 10 years was also legendary? Lol. Credit were its due, our succes is due to one man only - Petrillo! 

Lol ain't this the truth!

That's why all of our credit for our success goes to mombarts and kisnorbo. Those two have completely revolosionised the club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Funny what a little Premiership can do...

The "Sack Paddy" and "Squad signing has been horrible" threads deserve some sort of award, as does the continual bagging of Captain Jamo earlier in the season.

And there must be a few posts from me scattered across the threads that are now a trifle embarrassing....

We all need to press the reset button. We're no longer the also-rans, we're the 2020-21 Premiers, into the ACL proper, and the "benchmark club" according to a couple of coaches out there.

I managed to not post in either thread (I think). I always rated the squad, CBF arguing in the thread with you guys though.

In regards to Paddy, at 2w 4Ls (& those wins shaky) I admit I thought he looked out of his depth (though probably never posted that) and consequently was very concerned. 
The turn around was fair enough, a decent coach will do that, but what I still can’t figure out is how we went from horrible one week to a class above the next week, even with two of our better players back.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I managed to not post in either thread (I think). I always rated the squad, CBF arguing in the thread with you guys though.

In regards to Paddy, at 2w 4Ls (& those wins shaky) I admit I thought he looked out of his depth (though probably never posted that) and consequently was very concerned. 
The turn around was fair enough, a decent coach will do that, but what I still can’t figure out is how we went from horrible one week to a class above the next week, even with two of our better players back.

It was odd. I have thought a bit about it and I think the best explanation is that Nabbout really did change our fortunes. It’s more than coincidence and I think his impact was profound. Our attack went from ordinary to extraordinary the moment he came back. We were quick, direct, dynamic. Noone was then able to shine and Maclaren feasted. Atkinson and Reis improved us again at the back and in transition. We got the elusive consistency that good teams need.

Probably can’t go past Good or Maclaren for our best player but Nabbout was the most important IMO. He deserves a lot of praise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

It was odd. I have thought a bit about it and I think the best explanation is that Nabbout really did change our fortunes. It’s more than coincidence and I think his impact was profound. Our attack went from ordinary to extraordinary the moment he came back. We were quick, direct, dynamic. Noone was then able to shine and Maclaren feasted. Atkinson and Reis improved us again at the back and in transition. We got the elusive consistency that good teams need.

Probably can’t go past Good or Maclaren for our best player but Nabbout was the most important IMO. He deserves a lot of praise. 

Damn shame that he was unable to be on the pitch against the CCM. He really does deserve it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Damn shame that he was unable to be on the pitch against the CCM. He really does deserve it.

Agree.

Probably our 2 most important players Griffiths and Nabbout didn't play, add in maybe Atkinson and to win a League you need a balanced squad, decent depth and a shitload of luck of having the right players at the right time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harrison said:

Agree, his pace and directness drew defenders and created the space for JMac. JMac had also improved his game and was more effective in a deeper position, creating space for Noone and Nabbout. 

I think that the big change this season has been our movement off the ball, its created passing opportunities and drawn opposition teams out of shape.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wasn't aware that we have some sort of arrangement with what was Team 11. Is this true, or just journalistic licence?

Team 11 approached City with the move after their own bid fell through. So what I understand we are working with them, existing development plans are all on the Team 11 blue print.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2021 at 2:07 PM, Harrison said:

Hmmm. This is an interesting thing to read almost three months later. I’m happy we went with the first option. It seems as though everything has clicked and we’ve achieved that elusive consistency. What’s more, Nabbout was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for our forward group, and Reis allowed Griffiths to slot back into the midfield and give us a much stronger spine. We haven’t really had any under performers since then too. It’s been refreshing and I must say that Kisnorbo has done a fine job. 

He’ll have to face a big test when we lose some of our players to international duty. It would be unfair to grade him a failure if we don’t win the Championship, but we should be clinching the Premiership with this squad. If he can somehow engineer a GF win with some of our best players missing then he might be something special. 

That second paragraph is coming into sharp focus now. He’s got to figure out a way to get us scoring. 

Defence and midfield is fine. No issues there. Noone in the front three alongside Tilio is strong, but Noone improved when Nabbout came into the team and took the pressure off him. Tilio draws a lot of attention so Noone should still be able to do some damage but no Maclaren means he’s got to be the prime mover. Is a false 9 the solution? Looks like Kisnorbo’s leaning that way but maybe we’d be better going our usual system.

Colakovski is my preferred choice as the striker but Tsubaki is an option. Prefer Colakovski because of his direct style and finishing. Play him as an out and out striker. Tilio and Noone out wide. Trial that against Newcastle. In front of Berenguer and Luna. Plenty of attacking firepower. 

I think Tilio will be our Maclaren replacement.  He had 2 decent chances created by smart movement and positioning and he has 2 decent shots that required top class saves. On any other day he would have scored 1 and if he was lucky both.

Noone will change everything and then Tsubaki and Colakovski will battle for the other spot with Raphael possibly chipping in. 

If Nabbout returns then that changes things again, but with Noone Tilio and Tsubaki I genuinely believe they have goals in them and add Colakovski and maybe Raphael for options we are in the best possible situation. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think Tilio will be our Maclaren replacement.  He had 2 decent chances created by smart movement and positioning and he has 2 decent shots that required top class saves. On any other day he would have scored 1 and if he was lucky both.

Noone will change everything and then Tsubaki and Colakovski will battle for the other spot with Raphael possibly chipping in. 

If Nabbout returns then that changes things again, but with Noone Tilio and Tsubaki I genuinely believe they have goals in them and add Colakovski and maybe Raphael for options we are in the best possible situation. 

As well as us missing chances we have seen in recent matches a number of first-class saves from GKs. For once there are some good GKs playing in the league.

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As well as us missing chances we have seen in recent matches a number of first-class saves from GKs. For once there are some good GKs playing in the league.

Exactly, and in case anyone misunderstand my tone, those chances IMO were not misses as opposed to shots on target and quality saves.

Yes the keepers across the League have been an area of huge improvement. 

• 3 weeks later...

The first 6 games of the season I thought "this might be a long season" thinking we might just make up the numbers in the top 6.

Then we played Sydney at home and beat them and went on our first run of 6 straight wins. 

From there the rest is history and I am glad that Paddy proved some of the sceptical wrong. 

Absolutely epic season for the club and for a rookie coach. 

Very excited for what next season will bring! 

Cmon Cciiittttyyyyyyy!!! 

How much impact do you think mombearts had on PK? He completely changed our system since Warren Joyce nearly completely fucked our club. Do you think being his assistant last year really set this season up?

Or was he already destined to be a top coach winning W-league and youth league titles and also being the captain of English clubs? And of course captain of our club 

15 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

How much impact do you think mombearts had on PK? He completely changed our system since Warren Joyce nearly completely fucked our club. Do you think being his assistant last year really set this season up?

Or was he already destined to be a top coach winning W-league and youth league titles and also being the captain of English clubs? And of course captain of our club 

IMO they all have been an influence. And don't forget Jamo has said that even Joyce has left his mark in terms of discipline. PK has brought it all together. Cometh the time, cometh the man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/hes-a-best-friend-mine-mombaerts-more-a-mentor-former-apprentice-kisnorbo

Well here is an article and talks about him in his post match press conference, says Erick critiques him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

A lot and still does. They speak 4 times a week and after games as well. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

You've got to be kidding

He is, of course. But this season will show whether PK is a genuinely good coach or that last season was a flash in the pan. He has more or less the same squad, with a couple of should-be enhancements. He has NT and U-23 members in there and ought to be able to deliver.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He is, of course. But this season will show whether PK is a genuinely good coach or that last season was a flash in the pan. He has more or less the same squad, with a couple of should-be enhancements. He has NT and U-23 members in there and ought to be able to deliver.

Yes. Very true 

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Can see if Des Buckingham was the brains last year as well....

• 1 month later...

The tards are sitting at the top of the ladder ... put this down not to an outstanding list of players, but to having a very good a-league level coach

I've just about run out of patience with PK ... I've been to all our home games this season, watched all his pressors ... and to me he is failing badly.  Very poor game management and doesn't use his bench ... doesnt seem capable of improving and clearly Des was the main man last year in terms of the tactical brains.

Fuck him off and get us someone good ... he can stay on as team bouncer

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

Was great to see somewhat of a club legend steer us to our first major titles, but imo he's not much of a coach. Too much of a football idealogue that puts how he sees the game should be played, over what will make the team the hardest to beat.
Tactical inflexibility showing its hand big time this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Was great to see somewhat of a club legend steer us to our first major titles, but imo he's not much of a coach. Too much of a football idealogue that puts how he sees the game should be played, over what will make the team the hardest to beat.

Agreed, let's call a spade a spade!

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Isn't that "the CFG way" though?

In fairness all those deficiencies were very well visible for most of us last season too - we barely made subs or tactical adjustments either. We put a good string of games together in a weakened league after poor start and lost momentum towards the end, in those games every second chance was nearly goal. I think, that is what is in his mind, stick to the process and just work harder – these goals will come, hence I don’t need to sub or adjust as it worked last season.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't that "the CFG way" though?

Yes, you have a point - Pep doesn't always sub either but he rotates the starting line up depending on the opposition, the latter we don't do.

Edited by Mr MO