Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2021 at 11:27 AM, Harrison said:

I’ve been sitting on this for a while, but I need to get this off my chest, as my positive attitude is starting to wear thin.

Who knows what will happen...Kisnorbo might turn this around and start getting results. It’s amazing what can happen when a team gets into the groove and achieves consistency. Once Reis and Griffiths and Nabbout come back in and Maclaren starts finding the back of the net, we could be looking at a completely different side.

The alternative is that we fall to pieces, lose confidence in our ability, our system and the manager and we bottom out. That might’ve started.

As much as I fancy our squad to be near the top, the frustrating thing here is that CFG seem to be reluctant to pull the trigger and be ruthless when they need to be. If the next month doesn’t bring results then he should be sacked and CFG need to go after the best available as caretaker.

They also need to properly invest in a foreign contingent of players that can put us comfortably in the top two, regardless of the manager. We have resources and a scouting system that is quite literally the envy of the league and we still can’t nail our signings. They’re solid signings to be sure, but they should be better, there’s no denying that. I also can’t quite work out why CFG haven’t installed a better football boss than Petrillo, and why they couldn’t get a better tactical manager than Kisnorbo, particularly when Mombaerts showed what a terrific manager can achieve. They went the easy option and they know it. It’s perplexing. 

The youth side of things is even more strange. We had Alou Kuol playing out of Goulburn Valley and apparently we didn’t show any real interest. Nick Montgomery took a punt and look what’s happened. We’ve seen some of our youth leave and rack up minutes for our opponents (including my favourite in Najjarine). Meanwhile we bring in Gomulka and relegate him to the bench after two starts and Tilio after one. 

I know there are pragmatic answers to all these questions. I’ve looked at posts similar to this one and answered them in my head. ‘Genreau didn’t show enough and Metcalfe was better’, ‘Dukuly who?’, ‘Najjarine doesn’t really fit our system.’ But fucking hell, I’m kind of sick of rationalising these odd decisions, which in the aggregate are starting to just look like plain old bad management. This football club just baffles me, or maybe I’m baffled by my insistence on following a team that just won’t ever win shit and won’t get its shit together. I get that’s football, but I just thought that CFG would build a Frankenstein squad and win us some trophies and I could laugh at the whining by opposition supporters.

Hmmm. This is an interesting thing to read almost three months later. I’m happy we went with the first option. It seems as though everything has clicked and we’ve achieved that elusive consistency. What’s more, Nabbout was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for our forward group, and Reis allowed Griffiths to slot back into the midfield and give us a much stronger spine. We haven’t really had any under performers since then too. It’s been refreshing and I must say that Kisnorbo has done a fine job. 

He’ll have to face a big test when we lose some of our players to international duty. It would be unfair to grade him a failure if we don’t win the Championship, but we should be clinching the Premiership with this squad. If he can somehow engineer a GF win with some of our best players missing then he might be something special. 

• Like 2

On 30/04/2021 at 2:07 PM, Harrison said:

Hmmm. This is an interesting thing to read almost three months later. I’m happy we went with the first option. It seems as though everything has clicked and we’ve achieved that elusive consistency. What’s more, Nabbout was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for our forward group, and Reis allowed Griffiths to slot back into the midfield and give us a much stronger spine. We haven’t really had any under performers since then too. It’s been refreshing and I must say that Kisnorbo has done a fine job. 

He’ll have to face a big test when we lose some of our players to international duty. It would be unfair to grade him a failure if we don’t win the Championship, but we should be clinching the Premiership with this squad. If he can somehow engineer a GF win with some of our best players missing then he might be something special. 

Well Reis hassnt really played much at all has he? Its a situation which makes me impressed, that we can cover that, but at the same time I am petrified. 🤣

24 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

I don't wont to sound like moaner, but seriously, if a player was injured in a non match /training situation what would the clubs reaction be or what "should the clubs reaction be"?

Now Buckingham stopped the run of poor form early on, so really it shouldn't cause any issues, but who's to know. 

IMO an unnecessary and avoidable situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I don't wont to sound like moaner, but seriously, if a player was injured in a non match /training situation what would the clubs reaction be or what "should the clubs reaction be"?

Now Buckingham stopped the run of poor form early on, so really it shouldn't cause any issues, but who's to know. 

IMO an unnecessary and avoidable situation. 

Given the situation - we're leading the table, just a handful of matches left, and the potential loss of at least two players for NT commitments - I agree that it's sloppy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Given the situation - we're leading the table, just a handful of matches left, and the potential loss of at least two players for NT commitments - I agree that it's sloppy. 

He’s not a player and it was a charity match, this can happen on our own training pitch too, if he partakes in drills.

We will be fine, he can still work just not stand on sideline and bark instructions. Nice relief for the players. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Shit happens. Taking part in a charity match ffs. Next thing we don't want him doing any fitness in case he gets injured. 

That's true. As it can playing with the kids in the backyard at home. Just depends how you look at it. Buckingham seems OK and it's happened so we deal with it.

• Like 1

Look if the bloke gets injured but is still available to work no big deal, but if he incapacitated then it is.

Avoidable and unnecessary. If it effects the team then its just plain dumb and at the proffessional level shouldn't be allowed. 

I know a pro sportsman isn't a normal career but I don't think it's reasonable for clubs to ban their employees from partaking in outside activities that don't directly affect their ability to perform their role. 

Players can't play competitive or high risk (like snowboarding) sports, thats fair. But surely an employee who has no requirement to be fit in a physical sense can do pretty much anything on the side assuming the normal conduct of it doesn't affect his ability to do his job and it isn't a reckless activity. Kisnorbo could be an amateur wrestler on the side and it'd be fine, a charity match ranks pretty low on the chart of things he shouldn't be doing. 

6 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I know a pro sportsman isn't a normal career but I don't think it's reasonable for clubs to ban their employees from partaking in outside activities that don't directly affect their ability to perform their role. 

Players can't play competitive or high risk (like snowboarding) sports, thats fair. But surely an employee who has no requirement to be fit in a physical sense can do pretty much anything on the side assuming the normal conduct of it doesn't affect his ability to do his job and it isn't a reckless activity. Kisnorbo could be an amateur wrestler on the side and it'd be fine, a charity match ranks pretty low on the chart of things he shouldn't be doing. 

I don't wont to harp on about it.

But the club has stated he will be missing a few games. That's  his job, to actually be there gameday. 

We are not talking about something you do as a hobby or as some volunteer role, this blokes job is to coach/manage an elite proffessional sports team, that incidentally for the first time in their history actually look like achieving something and he has placed that in jeopardy because of participating in an event.

Obviously he is not in a comma and can still perform a bulk of his duties but he wont be there when it matters and to me that is just unnecessary and avoidable, i get most don't see it as big deal and just put aside as a bit of bad luck, but to me it might be the difference between winning the league or not. 

Last season's Grand final result was down to a small margin, and I'm sure they have explored all possibilities of where they could have done better, and losing a key member to the team a crucial stage surely will have some effect  

Every Christmas, just before we broke up for the holiday, the firm I used to work for used to have a game of soccer and a game of netball. One year, one bloke did his Achilles playing soccer and was off for weeks and someone else injured themselves in the netball and was also off work for a time. Next year there was no sport. 

• Like 1

Could this be the most aleague and Melbourne City thing to happen? A coach is sidelined with an ACL injury. It's almost comical, couldn't possibly make this shit up. The Germano treatment centre is licking it's lips at the prospect of snaring a head coach. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

He can obviously still work so I don't understand why he can't sit on the bench and direct. He doesn't have to be running and jumping around.

I'm guessing it's to do with flights to Perth, but no idea why he's missing the Brisbane game.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I don't wont to harp on about it.

But the club has stated he will be missing a few games. That's  his job, to actually be there gameday. 

We are not talking about something you do as a hobby or as some volunteer role, this blokes job is to coach/manage an elite proffessional sports team, that incidentally for the first time in their history actually look like achieving something and he has placed that in jeopardy because of participating in an event.

That shouldn't mean he can't have a life outside of that job. This is like if some office worker played footy on the weekend and got a concussion and had to take Monday off. Or a construction worker went to the movies and happened to be in the same cinema as a Covid positive person and had to quarantine for two weeks. Or an anonymous A-League manager had dinner in Sydney and copped food poisoning and had to miss a match. 

He is super unlucky to cop an injury that doesn't allow him to manage (something I too find bizarre but so be it) especially in a season where he has already missed a game through weird reasons, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to do those things. 

Sucks for us of course, but so be it, it's not his fault. 

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Every Christmas, just before we broke up for the holiday, the firm I used to work for used to have a game of soccer and a game of netball. One year, one bloke did his Achilles playing soccer and was off for weeks and someone else injured themselves in the netball and was also off work for a time. Next year there was no sport. 

This sort of thing was very common in the past. If you were unlucky enough to go to management training courses there was often compulsory activity such as volley ball or mild gymnastics - all IIRC in the name of "team-building" - I recall one I went to one at some retreat in the Dandenongs when a handful of us discovered that there was a bus service and sloped off to VFL Park for the afternoon and damn near got the sack for it - but this sort of stuff could produce insurance and compensation issues for the employer and was abandoned in due course.

It could be argued that PK was doing something entirely reasonable for the job he has - and was in fact promoting the club's image in doing so. Perhaps indeed it was with the knowledge and full approval of the club. It's ironical that he has suffered this serious injury. As mentioned - absolutely Heartesque - if it was going to happen it could only be to us!

Whatever our differing views, let's wish him the best recovery possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to hand it to Paddy.

As a coach he served a decent apprenticeship but I thought his first season as a senior coach would be a learning experience. I would have been happy if we’d finished 2nd. He’s done an incredible job.

Ok he followed on from Mombearts who showed the way, but he built on that.

Ok he has a good assistant in Buckingham but he was humble and confident enough to hire an experienced assistant in the first place.

The other thing to come out of this season is that I now understand what coaches are going on about when they talk about the team clicking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly we're everyone's darling.

As supporters, fans, whatever we like to call ourselves, we have to press the reset button too. The fan with the "Believe" scarf said it all for me. We did, and now we're Premiers. The ACL beckons. We have finally arrived.

• Like 1

Thanks for the article. It’s a good read. 

It confirms, if we even needed it, that Mombaerts still looms large over this Club. And I get the feeling that he’s still, in some ways, a Melbourne City manager or co-manager. I wonder how much tactical advice he gives Kisnorbo. We’ll never know. But it’s probably safe to assume that Kisnorbo is still learning a lot from him and Mombaerts is still helping this team improve. 

He really will go down as the best manager we’ve had, in my view at least. But Kisnorbo will have his chance to eclipse him and move out from his shadow.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Thanks for the article. It’s a good read. 

It confirms, if we even needed it, that Mombaerts still looms large over this Club. And I get the feeling that he’s still, in some ways, a Melbourne City manager or co-manager. I wonder how much tactical advice he gives Kisnorbo. We’ll never know. But it’s probably safe to assume that Kisnorbo is still learning a lot from him and Mombaerts is still helping this team improve. 

He really will go down as the best manager we’ve had, in my view at least. But Kisnorbo will have his chance to eclipse him and move out from his shadow.

Totally agree. 

1 minute ago, haz said:

A wet dream of mine is for Mombaerts to replace Petrillo. 

Petrillo is a legend and far better at his job than many of the public realise.
Not gonna lie though, having Ekka back in the fold would be bloody marvelous.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

As BT said Petrillo is a legend and now has a premiership winning squad assembled by him and his choice of managers as seen in the article. 

Geez we have a short memory haha. The previously 10 years was also legendary? Lol. Credit were its due, our succes is due to one man only - Petrillo! 

• Like 2

Funny what a little Premiership can do...

The "Sack Paddy" and "Squad signing has been horrible" threads deserve some sort of award, as does the continual bagging of Captain Jamo earlier in the season.

And there must be a few posts from me scattered across the threads that are now a trifle embarrassing....

We all need to press the reset button. We're no longer the also-rans, we're the 2020-21 Premiers, into the ACL proper, and the "benchmark club" according to a couple of coaches out there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Geez we have a short memory haha. The previously 10 years was also legendary? Lol. Credit were its due, our succes is due to one man only - Petrillo! 

To be quite honest we’ve had good squads in 16/17,17/18,19/20 he’s done he’s job to a certain degree made mistakes but us not winning a premiership till now is not all on Petrillo. Joyce had good squads could never get it done. JVS had a $9m squad in 16/17