Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

We've definitely played more attractive football under Mombaerts, and I've begun to feel a wee bit warmer towards the club. Phoenix have probably played with a bit more flair, and Sydney have been the most ruthless in getting wins where we haven't always ground out the three points. They've often looked lucky, but you tend to make your own luck. Perth don't look great without Castro. Adelaide are very variable and I suspect Brisbane have lost momentum without Fowler at the helm. WU are another flair team but also have Adelaide's weakness of having good and bad performances. Success for us this season will be to get to a GF against Sydney. 

Edited by fensaddler

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We've definitely played more attractive football under Mombaerts, and I've begun to feel a wee bit warmer towards the club. Phoenix have probably played with a bit more flair, and Sydney have been the most ruthless in getting wins where we haven't always ground out the three points. They've often looked lucky, but you tend to make your own luck. Perth don't look great without Castro. Adelaide are very variable and I suspect Brisbane have lost momentum without Fowler at the helm. WU are another flair team but also have Adelaide's weakness of having good and bad performances. Success for us this season will be to get to a GF against Sydney. 

Adelaide is the only team I want to avoid, we never seem to turn up against them when it matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I don't think anyone outside of Sydney, Welly and us can win it tbh, but in saying that it is the A League and any side can be beaten on its day. I don't think Perth, WU, Adelaide or Brisbane are good enough to do it three times however.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I will state my opinion early - i don't think this will prove to be a good appointment. Few make the successful transition from player to manager. 

Liked him as a player, don't think he's got the smarts to be a leading manager. Have overheard him speaking to the junior teams, wasn't blown away. Coaching professionals with egos is always going to be much harder than this. 

Sorry.

10 minutes ago, rass said:

IMO definitely silverware, either Premier's Plate or Grand Final Championship. FFA Cup isn't enough.

I think its harsh in terms of a pass mark.

For me a pass mark is ACL qualification every year. Obviously the goal and what we want to achieve is higher and definitely silverware, but as far as pass marks and 'acceptable' performances go thats the benchmark for mine. 

In terms of Kisnorbo, i feel its a year earlier than i would have been comfortable with, but given the COVID scenario and what other options are likely available, he's clearly the best fit.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

I will state my opinion early - i don't think this will prove to be a good appointment. Few make the successful transition from player to manager. 

Liked him as a player, don't think he's got the smarts to be a leading manager. Have overheard him speaking to the junior teams, wasn't blown away. Coaching professionals with egos is always going to be much harder than this. 

Sorry.

It well may not tbh. But I think given the climate and the way this league is going, it's a move most teams are making.

Sydney: Arnold to Corica (Sydney boy)

Victory: 18 coaches in one year to Brebner (ex tard)

Perth: Popovic to Despotovski?? (ex Perth boy)

City: Mombaerts to Kisnorbo (you get the drift)...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

For me a pass mark is ACL qualification every year. Obviously the goal and what we want to achieve is higher and definitely silverware, but as far as pass marks and 'acceptable' performances go thats the benchmark for mine. 

In terms of Kisnorbo, i feel its a year earlier than i would have been comfortable with, but given the COVID scenario and what other options are likely available, he's clearly the best fit.

Definitely agree re Kisnorbo, club's hand definitely forced by covid there.

In all honesty, I have no idea what next year will look like, but i just think we need to finally win something big to capitalise on the progress made this season.

Just now, rass said:

Definitely agree re Kisnorbo, club's hand definitely forced by covid there.

In all honesty, I have no idea what next year will look like, but i just think we need to finally win something big to capitalise on the progress made this season.

Agree, we need to strike while the iron is hot.

To be honest i dont think Paddy will get too much slack, at least in my book. He's clearly going to inherit a good squad and i doubt he's going to change much style wise based on this season. My expectation is not much lower than it would have been with Erick in charge, albeit perhaps my confidence on executing that is down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Two of the current ACL qualification rules require a trophy anyway.

Our objectives should always be to win everything we enter. I agree with @bt50 that a pass is ACL qualification.Therefore IMO really all Mombaerts achieved was a pass.

I think to be fair to Erick, he was coming from a lot further back in terms of the squad he inherited and moreso the style they were playing. I think Paddy will probably continue in the same vein as Erick, so the jump and achievement shouldnt be so far.

Nevertheless, i really wish Paddy all the best, would be great to see a former captain lead us to our first title.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think to be fair to Erick, he was coming from a lot further back in terms of the squad he inherited and moreso the style they were playing. I think Paddy will probably continue in the same vein as Erick, so the jump and achievement shouldnt be so far.

Nevertheless, i really wish Paddy all the best, would be great to see a former captain lead us to our first title.

I agree that we have a decent squad but to say that he inherits a ready to go team is a stretch for me as some have suggested ( not you)

Unfortunately with the current players we were lucky a little too often to my liking. I’m of the belief that Eric has gotten the best out of this playing group and we will not improve if we don’t better ourselves on certain positions.

The attacking midfielder role and wings needs to be addressed urgently in order to improve. Atkinson gone means Jamo and Delbridge as fullbacks requires more creativity.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Tangerine said:

Sorry.

Ange to Muscat turned out good in terms of trophies and Arnold to Corica 

3 hours ago, rass said:

IMO definitely silverware, either Premier's Plate or Grand Final Championship. FFA Cup isn't enough.

Couldn't agree more! We have to go that 1 step further. Especially if we manage to keep majority of the squad we have given the circumstances with the league around pay-cuts etc.

Runners up in both the FFA Cup, GF and 2nd on the table this yearly surely next season the aim would be that one better. Anything less we have gone backwards imo..

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

BIG AGREE

I don't understand how supporters can demand silverware as a pass mark every most seasons in a salary capped league. It's just not that simple. 

2 hours ago, IssySG said:

BIG AGREE

I don't understand how supporters can demand silverware as a pass mark every most seasons in a salary capped league. It's just not that simple. 

I demand silverware but know it’s not guaranteed. Although I’d like to hear an argument as to why we shouldn’t expect to get silverware after the last season we’ve had.... 

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I demand silverware but know it’s not guaranteed. Although I’d like to hear an argument as to why we shouldn’t expect to get silverware after the last season we’ve had.... 

If we keep majority of the squad we had this season and Kisnorbo gets them playing in a similar style that Erick did then we should be able to achieve silverware hopefully next season! 

Yes there will be alot of pressure on him as coach for his first season but it almost brings memories of when Muscunt oops I mean Muscut took over Victory and alot of people were a bit concerned about it. He inherited a good side and was able to do good things with them. Lets hope Kisnorbo can do the same with us!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

If we keep majority of the squad we had this season and Kisnorbo gets them playing in a similar style that Erick did then we should be able to achieve silverware hopefully next season! 

Yes there will be alot of pressure on him as coach for his first season but it almost brings memories of when Muscunt oops I mean Muscut took over Victory and alot of people were a bit concerned about it. He inherited a good side and was able to do good things with them. Lets hope Kisnorbo can do the same with us!

Agree. Paddy will have much expectation on results from supporters. In saying that I'm 100% behind him. And whilst we expect results he's been with us for 8 years. We are definitely lacking loyalty from players and coaches. Its not something we should take for granted. 

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

We are definitely lacking loyalty from players and coaches. Its not something we should take for granted. 

This is the part that concerns me. I feel like supporters will let a lot of things slide because we all love him. I just hope he's the right man for the job and I am worrying over nothing.

15 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This is the part that concerns me. I feel like supporters will let a lot of things slide because we all love him. I just hope he's the right man for the job and I am worrying over nothing.

In all honesty. What do you think is a reasonable expectation to have for PK in his first season as head coach? 

35 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

In all honesty. What do you think is a reasonable expectation to have for PK in his first season as head coach? 

Plug the holes in the squad contracted for next season.

Get through the ACL Qualifier(s) to the competition proper, and progress there.

Qualify again for the ACL.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Plug the holes in the squad contracted for next season.

Get through the ACL Qualifier(s) to the competition proper, and progress there.

Qualify again for the ACL.

Yes agreed! Definitely need to hold onto majority of the squad and get into the group stage of the ACL. It's difficult to really have any expectation for next season with still too many unknowns... 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

That's a very high expectation for a rookie senior coach... Is it a reasonable expectation though? 

If the club doesn’t address the creativity issues than it’s not reasonable. We’ve done well this season but we’re ultimately just best of the rest. If we don’t reinforce than that’s not going to change.

Top 3 finish and ACL qualification should be the reasonable target.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If the club doesn’t address the creativity issues than it’s not reasonable. We’ve done well this season but we’re ultimately just best of the rest. If we don’t reinforce than that’s not going to change.

Top 3 finish and ACL qualification should be the reasonable target.

Couldn't agree more, we need to get a real attacking mid that can perform week in week out! 

Top 3 would be my minimum expectation next season for the moment. 

20 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

That's a very high expectation for a rookie senior coach... Is it a reasonable expectation though? 

This is my concern. I am not sure now is the right time for a rookie senior coach. We need to build the winning mentality at this club if we are going to grow.

If we give someone a job because we like them and make excuses we are going backwards 

32 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This is my concern. I am not sure now is the right time for a rookie senior coach. We need to build the winning mentality at this club if we are going to grow.

If we give someone a job because we like them and make excuses we are going backwards 

Now, when have I heard that before...?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

He’s done his apprenticeship what more could he prove. That’s what you call apprenticeship. Youth, WLeague, gone over to NYC and Man City and first team assistant for 2-3 years 

8949C072-E658-450F-860B-2DD432CD6B30.jpeg

5E1C4457-6C44-45E7-B440-F9AFD6497C4A.jpeg

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1