Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

• 2 months later...
Kisnorbo dares to dream of Socceroos recall

Dave Lewis

10 December 2013

Defender Patrick Kisnorbo is dreaming of forcing his way onto the FIFA 2014 World Cup stage - nearly four years after last appearing for his country.

Cruelly rubbed out of South Africa 2010 by a snapped Achilles tendon while starring for Leeds United, Kisnorbo, 32, believes that a standout season with Melbourne Heart could prompt Postecoglou to hand him an international lifeline.

With uncertainty continuing the swirl around the future of club-less Australia skipper Lucas Neill, Kisnorbo knows that seven months out from the Brazil 2014 there may yet more twists and turns, and he aims to be doing all he can to put his name in Ange Postecoglou's frame.

"It was a choker to miss out in 2010 when I picked up the injury just a few months out from the tournament," said Kisnorbo, who was earmarked to start alognside Neill in South Africa.

"It wrecked the dream I'd had as a kid but I am still hoping that I might be involved next year. When I got the injury I was on a high; we had knocked Manchester United out of the FA Cup and I was playing well.

"But in football, as quickly as you are up you can be brought right back down again.

"All I can do now is my best, and see what happens. If I am playing well enough and I did get a call-up, I would be the first one at the airport waiting to get on the plane.

"These sorts of chances come along once in a lifetime - and it would be the icing on the cake for my career."

Tormented by injuries over the past four years, Kisnorbo admitted: "There were a lot of tough times and times when I didn't know if I would even play again.

"But it's fantastic to be out there enjoying my football again and playing each week and training every day. Physically, I feel as good as ever now.

"I feel mentally tougher too, having been through some hard and challenging times."

A giant at the back for Heart as it battled to a crucial 1-1 draw against Western Sydney Wanderers last weekend, Kisnorbo said: "It's a hard place to go - they have a great team, great support and a great coaching staff and it was imperative that we put in a performance for our fans, ourselves and our coach John Aloisi.

"That's what we did. We showed great charcater to stay in the game and grind out a draw. The back four also all put in a good shift and if we can produce that sort of form each week then we can only benefit as a team."

He was also buoyed by the return of skipper Harry Kewell, whose 25-minute cameo off the bench against WSW helped Heart ride out a late storm.

"When Harry came in the game changed and he was terrific, especially since he'd been out for eight weeks," added Kisnorbo.

"He showed why he's played in some of the best leagues around with his quality, and we need that.

"He can provide that X-factor for us in the final third. Myself, I am a defender I have no creativity whatseover - but Harry has the skill to change a game and turn it on its head."

With Sydney FC looming at Allianz Stadium on Sunday and joint-bottom Heart still searching for a first win of the season, Kisnorbo believes the point at Pirtek Stadium could be a springboard to better things as the pressure begins to lift a little on Aloisi.

"Unfortunately, football is a results business and the gaffer has been getting some unnecessary criticism, which is a shame because he is a great coach and a really good guy," he said.

"But, hopefully, we can build on our performance at the weekend and do it for him because he has backed us from day one. Our confidence is certainly up.

"I don't think we are far off a win ... it's a matter of cutting out those small errors. It's the finer detail."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1175803/Kisnorbo-dares-to-dream-of-Socceroos-recall

Edited by Murfy1

As much as he's getting slammed for this by some Aussie fans, I actually think he'd be worth a run in the 'Roos.

We should probably be looking a little more for youth but Paddy is far better than Neil.

Can't see him getting a look in unless heart start winning.

... and he stops kicking the leather off the ball because Ange isn't looking for that sort of player

As much as he's getting slammed for this by some Aussie fans, I actually think he'd be worth a run in the 'Roos.

We should probably be looking a little more for youth but Paddy is far better than Neil.

Can't see him getting a look in unless heart start winning.

... and he stops kicking the leather off the ball because Ange isn't looking for that sort of player

Mate we are playing Spain and the Netherlands. ..

We may need someone to do exactly that. If you think we will have that much time on the ball to stuff around and be able to pass our way out from the back, you have another thing coming.

Still Malloy's comment is the most valid...

I agree, but its easy to defend well when your side's playing good football and in the top half of the table. He has been pretty solid in a side that has struggled. You'd want a bloke that can handle the pressure.

Besides, its not like we have a hell of a lot of CB's to choose from.

Fair points made on the previous page.

The biggest issue he'll face is being on a bad team, it's a lot harder to make a case to be a CB for your national team if the side you play for is shipping goals.

In regards to his him booting the cover off the ball at every opportunity though, it's kind of hard for him not to when our team is set up the way it is, who's he going to pass to?

The biggest issue he'll face is being on a bad team, it's a lot harder to make a case to be a CB for your national team if the side you play for is shipping goals.

In regards to his him booting the cover off the ball at every opportunity though, it's kind of hard for him not to when our team is set up the way it is, who's he going to pass to?

You clearly haven't heard the ever classic back to redders...

• Like 1

Ah yes, if you're going to do that though you might as well cut out the middle man and just boot it out into touch  :(

• Like 2

Ah yes, if you're going to do that though you might as well cut out the middle man and just boot it out into touch :(

Indeed but by passing back to redders it gives us another 4 seconds in which we don't concede :up:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A very bad tackle. If he had really connected he could have easily broken the bloke's ankle or leg. IMO the ref. had no option but to send him off.

Very unprofessional in such an important game for us. I would be more than happy to see him leave the club in the January window, because we don't need players like him. The season is shot to pieces anyway, so play Vrankovic and let him learn his craft.

• Like 3

We have the highest red card count I think. Second red from Ben Williams to Kisnorbo, he should have expected it and defended with more composure, however the problem started earlier when Pain won the ball in midfield and instead of pressing, our midfield retreated as always and invited him in to the edge of the box. Nobody else was tackling him, usual poor tactical decisions, our defensive transition is just wrong wrong WRONG WRONG!!!!

We have the highest red card count I think. Second red from Ben Williams to Kisnorbo, he should have expected it and defended with more composure, however the problem started earlier when Pain won the ball in midfield and instead of pressing, our midfield retreated as always and invited him in to the edge of the box. Nobody else was tackling him, usual poor tactical decisions, our defensive transition is just wrong wrong WRONG WRONG!!!!

Exactly. Tackles like Kisnorbo should be happenning further up the park.

I was thinking the same thing.

As Pain advanced towards the box our defence just kept their distance, watching him yet failing to make a decisive attempt at cutting off his run.

Leaving him nice corridor towards the box putting all the pressure on pk to stop him. We do it so often it pains me.

Real pity was he didn't snap the cunts leg in half.

I dont think pain is deserved of that, Muscat on the other hand...

He thought it was Mitch Nicholls, which would have been well deserved.

All honesty though with us in the position we are. The two Patrick's offer us nothing. We have to put Vrankovic ahead of them.

20th minute. First card of the match. Local derby match. Edge of the box.

STRAIGHT RED.

Fuck off ref. Thanks for putting it on a plate for the visitors.

Don't blame the Ref, he got the decision right. I asked my mate who is a Heart member and a ref and he confirmed he would have given a straight red too.  We can't complain about refs when they make the right call. Blame Knisnorbo for putting the Ref in that situation by putting in such a reckless tackle.