Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

If Thrillhouse is correct that Garuccio is out for the season and Brown has had surgery. Then why aren't we bringing in injury replacements if the rules allow you to do this?

Well i hope we do, if we can find the right one(s).  The thing is we haven't had a lot of "luck" with injury replacements as they need to be uncontracted to be available, which seems to mean they are either rubbish, or unfit, or both (in fact usually both).  Maybe a Man City youth player is possible, though if it was so easy surely we'd have one of them on the books already?

If Thrillhouse is correct that Garuccio is out for the season and Brown has had surgery. Then why aren't we bringing in injury replacements if the rules allow you to do this?

Well i hope we do, if we can find the right one(s).  The thing is we haven't had a lot of "luck" with injury replacements as they need to be uncontracted to be available, which seems to mean they are either rubbish, or unfit, or both (in fact usually both).  Maybe a Man City youth player is possible, though if it was so easy surely we'd have one of them on the books already?

I wouldn't like to bring in a young player to this team. They would be under too much pressure for me.

Personally I have liked David Carny when I have seen him for the Jets. I know he may not be available because he is in dispute with his club. But if he was then I would consider bringing him in.

I wouldn't like to bring in a young player to this team. They would be under too much pressure for me.

Personally I have liked David Carny when I have seen him for the Jets. I know he may not be available because he is in dispute with his club. But if he was then I would consider bringing him in.

Yes Carney would add something, though get ready, for whatever reason* he attracts hate like cows attract flies.

The other one to look at from the jets is Joel Griffiths.  Would give some serious "punch" off the bench.  Only problem is signing him would breech the "no cunts" policy we seem to (quite rightly) have.

* completely losing his man at the 119th minute in the Asian Cup final in 2011 and the whole country watching that unmarked man volley in a cross to win a game (that they had been outplayed in) probably has quite a lot to do with it.

I asked about a replacement for garuccio but he said it's hard to find players now that aren't contracted. Other a-league clubs not willing to cut a player and vpl players not playing yet so not worth the risk

I asked about a replacement for garuccio but he said it's hard to find players now that aren't contracted. Other a-league clubs not willing to cut a player and vpl players not playing yet so not worth the risk

only player i can think of is Adrian Zahra. Been playing in Malta iirc up until recently and has now signed with Melbourne Knights in the NPL. 

I had the same procedure done and I was out of all sports for 6 weeks, but I didn't have City's medical staff working on me, so he's out for at least 8.

Had a laugh, but in all seriousness, the medical staff should reduce the amount of time he is out for. I said this in the Melling thread: the recovery time varies for an arthroscopy. A lot depends on the damage to the knee and the recovery program. 

I make it Marino, Germano and Viking back,  Melling out.  So that's got the list "down" to 7. 

Weliart (match)

Garuccio (match)

Melling (match)

Mauk (training)

Duga (training)

Brown (training)

Duff (match)

I think the match injuries are all impact?   That's plain bad luck.  The training ones might be different though.

I make it Marino, Germano and Viking back,  Melling out.  So that's got the list "down" to 7. 

Weliart (match)

Garuccio (match)

Melling (match)

Mauk (training)

Duga (training)

Brown (training)

Duff (match)

I think the match injuries are all impact?   That's plain bad luck.  The training ones might be different though.

There was an article by Davutovic summarizing our injuries in the Herald Sun on the weekend. According to JVS: Duff, Garuccio and Weilart are impact injuries, Brown's is an ongoing pre-exising injury ("James Brown had this injury when he turned up, he's struggled with it for a long time"), Mate "it's both his knees so maybe it's overuse". Didn't mention Mauk and this was before Melling.

Weliart (match)

Garuccio (match)

Melling (match)

Mauk (training)

Duga (training)

Brown (training)

Duff (match)

There was an article by Davutovic summarizing our injuries in the Herald Sun on the weekend. According to JVS: Duff, Garuccio and Weilart are impact injuries, Brown's is an ongoing pre-exising injury ("James Brown had this injury when he turned up, he's struggled with it for a long time"), Mate "it's both his knees so maybe it's overuse". Didn't mention Mauk and this was before Melling.

So why did we sign Brown - that's just asking for trouble. And if Mate is "overusing his knees" does that mean we are "training" these players too hard?

I'm not a great believer in "luck" I'm afraid, so I'd be looking at something more systemic going on here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read an article at one stage - not sure where or when I'm afraid - suggesting that Dutch coaches tend to over-train their players. Whereas the English, which was the comparison made, once the season gets underway for a few matches, and especially once the fixture list becomes crowded, tend to rely on the actual matches to maintain fitness and just light exercises in between to maintain "tone." 

I have wondered from time to time whether we simply push our players too hard on the training track.

• 2 weeks later...

In the five seasons of this club's existence I have always felt that the players could not match it physically with the other teams. It always seems to me that the players could last about 70 minutes before being exhausted. I even seem to recall that JA kept on insisting that the players were fit when asked about it at pressers. So if the players are being conditioned now, it is a bit late but I will take it as they seem to be running out the games.

• 1 month later...

Injuries have really destroyed Melbourne City this season.

I counted at least 20 Melbourne City players who were injured this season:

- Duff

- Germano

- Chapman

- Koren 

- Melling

- Wielaert

- Garuccio

- Williams

- Dugandzic

- Kennedy

- Mauk

- Marino

- Murdocca

- Brown

- Safuwan 

- Hoffman

- Velaphi

- Clisby

- Paartalu

- Miller

And of course Mooy and Novillo were struck down by injury last night.

And 10 of those players missed at least a 3rd of the season:

- Duff

- Germano

- Chapman

- Koren 

- Melling

- Wielaert

- Garuccio

- Mauk

- Marino

- Brown

Outrageous. To actually field a team, without desperately calling up NYL players and signing outside players on short term deals, this situation must improve.

But of course to actually compete to win trophies this bizarre long list of injuries must be shortened.

Hopefully this bit of news, Simone Ripamonti seemingly leaving (here and here) and Melbourne City getting a new fitness and physio department (seemingly from Manchester) is true:

City will bring in football staff — working in health and fitness, strength and conditioning and other ancillary areas — to assist, with many of them coming from the UK, perhaps some from Manchester but others from rival Premier League clubs who see the chance of a move to Australia as a career-enhancing opportunity.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ruthless-melbourne-city-set-for-major-offseason-changes-20150509-ggxu6m.html

• Like 1

Injuries have really destroyed Melbourne City this season.

I counted at least 20 Melbourne City players who were injured this season:

- Duff

- Germano

- Chapman

- Koren 

- Melling

- Wielaert

- Garuccio

- Williams

- Dugandzic

- Kennedy

- Mauk

- Marino

- Murdocca

- Brown

- Safuwan 

- Hoffman

- Velaphi

- Clisby

- Paartalu

- Miller

And of course Mooy and Novillo were struck down by injury last night.

And 10 of those players missed at least a 3rd of the season:

- Duff

- Germano

- Chapman

- Koren 

- Melling

- Wielaert

- Garuccio

- Mauk

- Marino

- Brown

Outrageous. To actually field a team, without desperately calling up NYL players and signing outside players on short term deals, this situation must improve.

But of course to actually compete to win trophies this bizarre long list of injuries must be shortened.

Hopefully this bit of news, Simone Ripamonti seemingly leaving (here and here) and Melbourne City getting a new fitness and physio department (seemingly from Manchester) is true:

City will bring in football staff — working in health and fitness, strength and conditioning and other ancillary areas — to assist, with many of them coming from the UK, perhaps some from Manchester but others from rival Premier League clubs who see the chance of a move to Australia as a career-enhancing opportunity.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ruthless-melbourne-city-set-for-major-offseason-changes-20150509-ggxu6m.html

I know that Chapman missed about a third of the season but I don't think recall that he was injured - I recall that he contracted glandular fever which really can't be put down to training or game time injury. However the other injuries obtained by players during the course of the season need to be looked at. I also feel that refs are not doing enough to protect players so they get chopped leading to impact injuries.

I know that Chapman missed about a third of the season but I don't think recall that he was injured - I recall that he contracted glandular fever which really can't be put down to training or game time injury. However the other injuries obtained by players during the course of the season need to be looked at. I also feel that refs are not doing enough to protect players so they get chopped leading to impact injuries.

Chapman first had glandular fever, then he had a quad injury, then a hamstring injury:

His woes were compounded further when he suffered first a quad injury, then a hamstring, as his body tried to regroup.

The saga prevented him from making his City debut until Round 9.

“The thing with glandular fever, and I never knew this, is it’s basically about starting back from ground zero,” he said.

“You’d train and then unfortunately you’d get injured. And that was the thing, you’d train, get injured, but get stronger.

“It’s the only way you could do it. It was the first time my body has ever been so weak.

“It was frustrating as well that you come back from glandular, then you get injured, and everyone’s saying ‘what’s going wrong, what are you doing?’

“But it wasn’t like that. I could actually feel my body getting strong as time went on.

“I wasn’t impatient, it was just something I had to go through. It was the only way to build my muscles back up.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-making-up-for-lost-time-following-illness/story-fnk6pqha-1227331039313

• jw1739 unpinned this topic