Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

• 6 months later...

Players' union to inspect A-League clubs

September 8, 2014

The players' union will conduct inspections of every A-League club's facilities after a 30 per cent spike was recorded in the number of games missed through injury last season.

In its injury report for the 2013/14 season released on Monday, the Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) found while the total number of injuries suffered remained the same as the previous campaign, there was a whopping 704 games missed through injury, up almost 30 per cent from the season prior.

In 2011/12 Football Federation Australia (FFA) and the PFA introduced Minimum Medical Standards - a uniform guide to ensure all clubs met set standards for things including medical staff, medical testing and records.

PFA boss Adam Vivian says these results have made him second guess the standards' effectiveness.

"The findings of the injury report raises concerns as to whether the Minimum Medical Standards remain adequate or whether they are being complied with," Vivian said in a statement on Monday.

"As a result of these concerns the PFA will introduce site inspections for the coming A-League season with the aim of working with the clubs and Football Federation Australia to ensure a truly 'world class' workplace for our members."

Injuries cost clubs $4.74 million last season, up by $700,000 on 2012/13 with Sydney FC ($682,870) forking out the most of all 10 clubs.

Sydney FC also topped the list for the number of injuries and the number of games missed through injury for a second season in a row with Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City (Heart) the only two sides to post a reduction in both categories.

CLUB-BY-CLUB BREAKDOWN OF INJURY FIGURES

NUMBER OF PLAYERS INJURED 2013/14:

Adelaide - 14 (13 in 2012/13)

Brisbane - 12 (11)

Central Coast - 8 (8)

Melbourne City - 9 (12)

Melbourne Victory - 11 (12)

Newcastle Jets - 15 (14)

Perth Glory - 12 (12)

Sydney FC - 15 (16)

Wellington Phoenix - 11 (12)

Western Sydney Wanderers - 17 (11)

NUMBER OF INJURIES 2013/14:

Adelaide United - 21 (17 in 2012/13)

Brisbane Roar - 15 (12)

Central Coast - 10 (10)

Melbourne City - 13 (17)

Melbourne Victory - 12 (17)

Newcastle Jets - 17 (16)

Perth Glory - 16 (19)

Sydney FC - 23 (27)

Wellington Phoenix - 15 (14)

Western Sydney Wanderers - 20 (13)

NUMBER OF GAMES MISSED 2013/14:

Adelaide United - 72 (55 in 2012/13)

Brisbane Roar - 70 (46)

Central Coast - 71 (41)

Melbourne City - 59 (67)

Melbourne Victory - 30 (48)

Newcastle Jets - 72 (62)

Perth Glory - 86 (62)

Sydney FC - 118 (92)

Wellington Phoenix - 76 (38)

Western Sydney Wanderers 50 (31)

AAP 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/players-union-to-inspect-aleague-clubs-20140908-10e3mn.html

You'd have to drill down into those figures before you had a hope of drawing any meaningful conclusions. A couple of serious injuries  (e.g. Engelaar's broken leg, Lambadaridis of Brisbane), or recurring injuries to the same player, and the figures for an individual club are distorted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So i thought id finally update the original post for this and get it back in action for the season.

Little point i noticed was that Redmayne is now wearing the no 1 shirt instead of Tando, there was a switcheroo at some stage in the off season.

Also if our manager is to be believed everyone is fit except for Koren as of this round with D Williams expected to only be out for the single round and the trio of Chapman, Garuccio and Germano (lol) back to full fitness.

Edited by Cinnamon

So i thought id finally update the original post for this and get it back in action for the season.

Little point i noticed was that Redmayne is now wearing the no 1 shirt instead of Tando, there was a switcheroo at some stage in the off season.

Also if our manager is to be believed everyone is fit except for Koren as of this round with D Williams expected to only be out for the single round and the trio of Chapman, Garuccio and Germano (lol) back to full fitness.

I think chapman was injured in youth league on Sunday.

I think chapman was injured in youth league on Sunday. You are correct HUN reporting its a week for him with a hamstring

This is the one area I find annoying about the A-League - no reliable injury reports. It would be nice if the FFA mandated that after every weekend the clubs must produce an updated injury report and then along with the squad members a further update.

The AFL is poor with this too, but at least it has weekly injury reports that appear on both the club and league websites. I don't see what is so complicated about it: if a player didn't play the previous week, or he was taken from the ground with an injury in the last game, he must appear on that week's injury report, with a 'weeks out' estimate. If it's something minor and he's expected to play in the upcoming game, he is listed as 'test' or 'available'. AFL clubs just randomly leave players off their injury lists all the time, but that's a relatively minor quibble, compared to what we get from the A-League.

As it is, if the player is one of the best in our squad, we might get lucky and have a journalist ask about him in a press conference. If it's a youth league player, we've got no hope of hearing how he's tracking.

I think chapman was injured in youth league on Sunday. You are correct HUN reporting its a week for him with a hamstring

I have a feeling Williams won't be ready and if so, will be from the bench. Garuccio may be on the bench also.

Germano is a definite however.

I have a feeling Williams won't be ready and if so, will be from the bench. Garuccio may be on the bench also.

Germano is a definite however.

You cereal? Nothing is ever certain with Germano. For all we know he'll break a toenail on Friday morning subsequently causing him to pull his calf muscle trying to put a band aid on it and will be out for another 6 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Koren on target to return for the derby

No word on Chapman's fitness

No change on Germano's timeframe

Connor Chapman started for the NYL side against Newcastle last weekend.

And against victory as well.

Also i think it was alluded to that Germano might be cut in January. We seem to be gearing up for a rather active transfer period

• Like 1

Germano can't come back for another 5 weeks can he? Liam Miller's been signed as his injury replacement for 6 games I think.

I know it's not directly what you've said, but do you honestly think Germano will be back before then? Or at all?

I hope he does come back at some point to be honest. Would prefer (a fit) Germano over Miller or at the least we can give Germano a send-off game!

• Like 1

Germano being cut is probably the right thing to do, he just can't put in the required minutes to be if any value to the squad.

Great to know Chapman is playing, was perplexing the club went back to listing him as having glandular fever again this couple of weeks ago after he did play for the nyl team

• jw1739 unpinned this topic