Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

We sign players with long histories of injuries who aren't even fit when we sign them, on the back end of their careers eg Skoko, Fred, Kewell Grella, Kisnorbo thinking we're getting a bargain.  Yeah my brother bought an AMG C36, $155, 000 car new in 1997 fpr $10k , but it needed a new head gasket soon after, a transmission re-build, plus a few little niggly things as well.

Miglorini didn't play because of a knee, JA says he will be good soon so assuming next week or 2, personally I think our midfield did well with out him and would like to see the young boys get more of a run.

Yep was very happy with Retre and didn't think he was any worse than Migliorini (I think Migliorini is another with a tendency to lob instead of pass so I'd prefer Retre anyway who played it along the ground). Unfortunately Aloisi doesn't like playing youth unless he absolutely has to though.

At present (in my view of course) we have our best 3 players injured: Engleaar, Kewell and Kisnorbo.  Makes it tough.  In regards to Miglorini, Retre looked good and if he adopts the time honoured approach of "never giving a sucker an even break" then that position is his to lose.

Wielaert >>> Kisnorbo, FWIW.

• Like 1

How can you blame wieleart? That goal was clearly gerhardt's fault, out of position as usual. #startvranks

I wasn't really blaming wielaert I was more saying that we looked better and made less mistakes with kisnorbo in the team. Also I agree with you I would love to see vranks get a game, he has great potential

Should never appointed the hot physio. Seems all the players would rather be in her company than on the park. Get us a 60y.o Maltese bloke with a cold sponge on the knackers and watch our injury problems disappear.

Curiously missing in action Friday night, the club may be reading this after all. No old Maltese bloke there tho, just a rather large Sven the masseuse type.

Edited by Cinnamon

How can you blame wieleart? That goal was clearly gerhardt's fault, out of position as usual. #startvranks

Still a shit clearance from Wielaert that gave the ball to WSW in our 18yrd box

Blame the goals on whoever you want....the fact of the matter is we cannot score goals ourselves...that is the problem which the team has!!!!!

JA has gone out of his way to publicly state that other teams will find it hard to score against us...but he forgot about the most crucial part of this game.....TO SCORE MORE GOALS THAN YOUR OPPONENTS...

• Like 2

Retre produced better than Migliorini. Wow who would have thought an Australian youth could match a foreign player.

We have good youth. We need more but we have some. Vrankovic next. Replace Gerhardt.

Can anyone tell me why Garrucio didn't play in the youth side today? He's another one who has talent that could come in.

The makings of our team are their in youth. Retre, Mauk, Vrankovic, Garrucio, Walker.

I'd be more excited with them going out to battle for us. I don't know, gives me a sense of pride we produced these guys and they are ours lads giving their all.

Give these guys a good tactical manager and it would make us an exciting club.

• Like 5

Kisnorbo is prone to many blunders, plus wont help us score goals which is what we are lacking most atm.

Migliorini is barely an improvement on Retre and is a waste of a spot on the roster, shouldnt be a injury replacement player.

Kewell cannot be relied on considering hes played barely 3 or 4 games of competitive football over the last 2 years.

If thats what Aloisi is looking forward to, then we have more issues.

• Like 1

Our many injuries have to be linked to our crap facilities.  The most obvious one is Kewell.  His foot sunk into soft ground and then wouldn't turn with the rest of him. 

Wouldn't have happened with good facilities and without that injury he'd have played the last 2 games.  I wonder how many of the other injuries are related to the poor facilities - we only know about Kewell because of the media attention he gets.

As to that ground at Latrobe I hope we don't train their anymore.  "My" U10 girls train in better conditions than that.

Surely there are enough sports grounds around Melbourne to find the perfect spot for our collection of molly-coddled players?

Tired of all the excuses.

Like I've said elsewhere. Pull some of these guys in. Tell them that they're professional footballers and are paid to play, and that they need to get themselves fit and ready to do so. The club offers all the facilities in terms of medical, physiotherapy, and daily training, and I'm sure has programmes for individual players (if it doesn't it needs to). But I'm beginning to wonder if there are some players who are just milking the system and don't really want to play.

Contrast Aziz. Poor bugger runs himself into the turf week after week, cops a knock or a strain pretty much every game, but gets himself back and ready to go again every time. 

Edited by jw1739

We should sign Cassio from Adelaide, 1 game after a long injury lay off and he tears his hammy again. It sounds just like the sort of cheap player we look to pick up. He might be a good golf partner for Harry

If he's over 30 as well he should be our no. 1 target for next season.

We should sign Cassio from Adelaide, 1 game after a long injury lay off and he tears his hammy again. It sounds just like the sort of cheap player we look to pick up. He might be a good golf partner for Harry

If he's over 30 as well he should be our no. 1 target for next season.

He has to play for victory first then we can sign him

So only 3 injured players on our list now.

That wont help with the club excuses, particularly since no one can remember what Germano looks like and Dylan was only ever meant to be a back up... or was our entire hope of scoring goals based on the defensive midfield skills of Orlando?

Can this get stickied/pinned?

I'll keep updating when I can. All injury related discussion welcome in here and feel free to advise on the player list aswell.

No. Position Player

1 GK Tando Velaphi - fit

2 DF Jeremy Walker - fit

3 DF Rob Wielaert - fit

4 MF Orlando Engelaar - fractured leg (2014)

5 DF Sam Mitchinson - fit

6 DF Patrick Gerhardt - fit

7 MF Iain Ramsay - fit

8 MF Massimo Murdocca - fit

9 FW Dylan Macallister - torn hamstring (mid Dec '13)

10 MF Harry Kewell - pulled heart muscle (when ever)

11 FW Michael Mifsud - fit

13 MF Jonatan Germano - hamstring (early Dec '13)

14 FW Golgol Mebrahtu - fit

15 FW David Williams - fit

16 DF Aziz Behich - fit

17 MF Jason Hoffman - fit

18 DF David Vranković - fit

19 MF Ben Garuccio - fit

20 GK Andrew Redmayne - fit

21 MF Stefan Mauk - fit

22 MF Nick Kalmar - fit

23 FW Mate Dugandžić - fit

24 DF Patrick Kisnorbo - fit

25 MF Andrea Migliorini - fit

Physio - fit

Very sharp.

• Like 1

Apparently this guy Simone Ripamonti (https://twitter.com/simoripamonti) is our new High Performance Manager and/or Strength and Conditioning Coach. I assume he has replaced Tom Reddin. Here's a summary of him:

Name: Simone Ripamonti

Role: Top Training founder, sports-holidays director for amatours, professional and èlite athletes. 

Professional Certificate: member of the Italian Football (soccer) Federation for Strength and Conditioning Coaches (No 114307) certified by the Technical Sector of Coverciano - Florence - Italy, December 2011.

Professional experience: 5 years (High Performance Level)

SUMMARY 

Simone Ripamonti, aged 29, is an emerging new generation sport trainer born in Sassari (Sardinia)

Mr. Ripamonti has considerable management acquired from running his practice experience over several locations and professional football (soccer) clubs he has worked with great enthusiasm and try to see the positives in every situation, always ready to learn from others, but also to contribute to help others wherever he can to build a team.

He currentrly promotes several projects related to its home land as the Top Training project in Sardinia, a project who create the perfect conjunction between sport, environment and technology.

SKILL & EXPERTISE

Sports performance enhancement focused on injuries prevention throught core strength, postural alignment, functional and specific strength and conditioning demands, match or training recovery and regeneration, training load analysis with technological devices and soft-wares.

(Source with more info http://www.toptrainingalghero.it/en/project/top-training/creator-project.html)

Hopefully the club don't think that replacing Reddin, rather than replacing Aloisi, will improve our results. Even though our fitness department probably needed a shack up, it would be unfortunate if people were scapegoated to take blame instead of Aloisi (and also, it might mean that the club won't look at sacking Aloisi for a while longer...).

Edited by Murfy1

A good start none the less imo

Yes it is. And interesting that we're getting people on board from Europe. Every little helps. The Board said it would bring more resources to the Football Department and it is doing that.

I think this increases pressure on Aloisi rather than the other way round.

Simone Ripamonti looks to have good pedigree. It seems he even spent some time at Real Madrid.

Here's some tweets from Ripamonti about his approach to fitness and rehabilitation:

No time to rest if you are injuried! #highly-functional #training key to accelerate rehab process! @MelbourneHeart

Ba1MV6FCMAADmYe.jpg

8.30 a new training day start with the injuried players at Epping Today's menù #On-Pitch session, #Gym and #Pool #Recovery @MelbourneHeart

https://twitter.com/simoripamonti

Edited by Murfy1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic