Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

DMac has done his hammy and is out for a few months (must be a bad hammy) according to his twitter.

It won't happen but I'd be happy to look at cutting him if we could afford it abd bringing McGrath or another prospect in. He's barely worthy of a spot in the squad as is let alone if he is going to miss multiple games.

Also sucks in that it means he won't be available for the early rounds when Mifsud is playing internationals.

Now this is why we should have kept Thompson, he could play up front for us! :3

DMac has done his hammy and is out for a few months (must be a bad hammy) according to his twitter.

That's a bugger.  I would think we will be keen for an injury replacement.

I would be interested to see how our injury rate compares with other clubs.  I'm not convinced we manage players fitness/health that well.

I would be interested to see how our injury rate compares with other clubs.  I'm not convinced we manage players fitness/health that well.

Many people have expressed such concerns on here before. 

Our injury record is near the bottom of the league the past couple of years. 

Macallister is another list-clogger - a "JA special." He should be released at the end of 2013-14.

That said we can't go on having these injuries. It's not as if we're playing any competitive football yet. I can't accept that it's the "facilities." Jeez, players all around the world play on cow paddocks week in and week out and have a better record than our blokes.

Not so long ago blokes would come out of the tunnel 5 minutes before KO, kick the ball around for a 3-4 minutes and then line up. No warm up. Ball as heavy as lead on a pitch churned to a quagmire by half-time. And they'd be ready for more the next week.

Yes, I know the game has changed, but for FFS...

• Like 1

Macallister is another list-clogger - a "JA special." He should be released at the end of 2013-14.

I'd go even further than that. I completely agree with The Aardvark, that we should pay out Macallister's contract and release him now, like we did with Steven Gray. I even dared to get my hopes up when Munn said "”Yes, we have agreed terms with Michael which would take our playing roster to 22 for the coming season”, and miscounted the players in our squad (again. He's now done that 3 times in this pre-season alone).

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on paddy g after the game today?

Gerhardt is injury free, according to a media report made after the game:

Heart are confident defender Patrick Gerhardt will be cleared for the Round 1 derby against Melbourne Victory despite hobbling off after landing awkwardly on his ankle in the 2-1 loss to Adelaide United

(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-not-concerned-at-clubs/story-fnibbvjo-1226729198449)

There's also good news regarding Kewell, with this post-match comment from Aloisi surfacing:

“Harry will be ready next week, well he’s ready now, so he’s just making sure he’s fresh.

(http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/283480,aloisi-keeps-stars-out-of-harms-way.aspx)

Harry has been struck down with a COLD!

He's at the club's season launch tonight, so he can't be too sick.

I heard he wasn't there - can anyone verify?

Scott Munn posted a photo on his twitter account, so check that as I can't be bothered learning how to post pictures on here.

Harry has been struck down with a COLD!

still 4 days away until kick off

a few doses of antibiotics should do the trick

Which have no effect on a cold. That kind of thinking is what is going to lead to a worldwide pandemic one day that antibiotics can't stop. 

Antibiotics act against bacterial infections. The common cold is a viral infection.

Can anyone remember when Engelaar will be back running? Was it November?

I recall JA saying 4 months, so whenever that'll be!

Here's what Aloisi said at the very start of September:

"He's not having an operation, he's letting it heal naturally. In three months' time he should be ready to start to run," Aloisi said on Wednesday.

"And then we'll see how quick it heals from there. We're still not sure on the exact time he'll be out for, if it ends up being four, five, six months. But we're confident he'll be back for the (remainder of the) season."

"We're working through the solutions now," he said.

"He won't be out for the whole season, we're confident he'll back. We have to work through hopefully getting a player in - an injury replacement - and seeing what we can come up with.

"We're confident that we'll still put a strong squad together, even (with) the unfortunate injury to Orlando.

"You don't want to wish it upon anyone, let alone your marquee player. They're things that happen in football, you accept it, you move on and you come up with solutions and that's what we ended up doing.

"A day later we started speaking about what (we can) come up with now. And then we're working through that with (general manager) John Didulica and the club."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/heart-eager-replace-injured-marquee-engelaar

A media article published September 12:

Didulica said Heart hasn’t ruled out signing an injury replacement for Dutch marquee Orlando Engelaar, who returned to the Netherlands today. 

Engelaar will return in a month but he won’t be allowed to commence running until late November.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-close-to-signing-international-striker-ahead-of-a-league-season/story-fndm8psv-1226717224130

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

There's one thing I'd love to see this season, our best 11 playing a whole game, preferably more than one game. Hopefully it happens, because with the way injuries have been going already it seems its going to be a difficult feat to acheive.

I guess preseason will see some niggling injuries pop up here and there so I we'll see.

Edited by n i k o

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Migliorini performs really well by the time Orlando's due to come back.

If he plays well they would probably dump Germano, according to the Player Contracts thread, what I could find. His contract runs out this year. They could also try and make him a citizen (if he is eligible)

Edited by Dylan

• jw1739 unpinned this topic