Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

This is what happens when you use sub-par facilities to run a professional football club. And I'm being very generous in saying sub-par. What is the fitness staff doing

I feel like this club gets the little details wrong quite often. 

Well this is why they do little training at LaTrobe anymore. They moved to epping and Bulleen for this preseason.

It's been reported by Soccer Stoppage Time that Wielaert has also succumbed to injury, rumoured to be an achilles.

https://twitter.com/SocStoppageTime/status/374484066877177857

I've had a difficult day and this is the last thing that I want to read.

WTF is going on? I just think there's a lack of accountability somewhere.

Who the fuck is going to play CB round 1? No Gerhardt and possibly no Wielardt.

When you have such a small squad, spots in the squad can't be wasted. Unfortunately heart have. Hoffman and Mitchinson are definitely wasted spots and to a certain extent McCallister is too. I'm starting to get rather worried about the upcoming season.

• Like 1

Mitchinson is OK. Has a lot more ability than people are giving him credit for. I'd rather have him playing for me than a number of other higher-paid non-performers that we have.

My concern is we have 21 signed players, of whom 4 are out of action - Engelaar, Germano, Kalmar and now Wielaert. Leaves 17 fit players. Match day squad is now 16 - 11 starters and 5 substitutes. Leaves us no room to move at all.

We just don't have the required depth. Add to the mix that we're going to lose blokes such as Walker, Vranks and Garuccio for representative games.

• Like 1

On injuries, here are the numbers (from the PFA's 2011/2012 & 2012/2013 Injury Reports):

Last season (2012/2013), Heart had the 2nd worst injury rank, with players missing 67 games due to injury (Sydney was worse with 92 games). The previous season (2011/2012 or Season 7) Heart was 3rd worst (13% in the hard to read diagram below, btw), regarding the amount of games missed due to injury, which was 97 games (Gold Coast, with 128, and Perth, with 145, were worse).

2ex9093.jpg2gvobo6.jpg

Last season we missed 2.5 players a round due to injury, the second worst ranking (behind Sydney at 3.4). And during the season before that (2011/2012), we missed 3.6 players per round due to injury, the 3rd worst ranking (behind Gold Coast, 4.7, and Perth, 5.4).

Here's the number of injuries over the past 2 seasons, alongside the number of games missed. Heart has roughly the league average of injuries per season, but we have a higher number of games missed due to injury than other clubs, which means we either have worse injuries or slower recoveries.

v80sxs.jpg

Heart's injuries are also some of the most expensive in the league, with Heart's injuries being the 2nd most expensive last season (2012/2013) and the 2nd most expensive the season before that (2011/2012) as well. Injuries cost Heart roughly half a million dollars a season.

A lot of room for improvement.

• Like 2

done knee ligaments could be out for a few months, just a text I got from a friend.

if it he was out for a few months, surely the club would've posted it by now

I'm hoping that this is a reference to a known previous injury 2-3 years ago and someone has dredged it up as being recent.

However, the club is not noted for being transparent about injuries. (Understatement.)

• Like 1

Wielaert has a sprained ankle. Should be OK for Round 1.

Source: Scott Munn, Twitter, today about 1 hr ago.

Once again though, it looks as if injuries and and injury management are going to be a major factor in our chances this season. Just looking in from the outside it appears to me that this is an area where we need to get some additional expertise on board. Too many players are out for too long for us to be competitive.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Once again though, it looks as if injuries and and injury management are going to be a major factor in our chances this season. Just looking in from the outside it appears to me that this is an area where we need to get some additional expertise on board. Too many players are out for too long for us to be competitive.

Good news then.

It's no secret that our injury management is quite poor. Engelaar's injury was a freak accident, there's not much we can do about that. But I see no reason why we shouldn't have a full squad to select from come round 1

As we know, Scott Munn is about as reliable as Christian7...

If he only has a sprained ankle he would 'definitely' be fit for round one, given that the injury occurred so many weeks ago.

There is more to it, as far as I know its an achilles injury, and they are a bitch to deal with and tend to result in re-injury at some stage.

As we know, Scott Munn is about as reliable as Christian7...

If he only has a sprained ankle he would 'definitely' be fit for round one, given that the injury occurred so many weeks ago.

There is more to it, as far as I know its an achilles injury, and they are a bitch to deal with and tend to result in re-injury at some stage.

He would not want to come out and say that Wielaert has an achilles injury and admit the fact that BOTH his international signings could be out of action for the whole season.

Direct from the Dutchman's mouth, I spoke with Rob Wielaert after last nights Oakleigh game. He is confident that he will indeed be ready for round 1, he says that he is moving around easier since swelling has eased and seemed quite sure that he'll be okay come Derby time. Here's hoping that his self prognosis will be accurate. I spoke with Massimo as well, going by his tone and response it appears that Orlando's injury is as bad as we have heard...but he seems sure that Englaar will be back in time for finals providing we be competitive and make it there this season...so fingers crossed we still might see him in the Red & White again.

Direct from the Dutchman's mouth, I spoke with Rob Wielaert after last nights Oakleigh game. He is confident that he will indeed be ready for round 1, he says that he is moving around easier since swelling has eased and seemed quite sure that he'll be okay come Derby time. Here's hoping that his self prognosis will be accurate. I spoke with Massimo as well, going by his tone and response it appears that Orlando's injury is as bad as we have heard...but he seems sure that Englaar will be back in time for finals providing we be competitive and make it there this season...so fingers crossed we still might see him in the Red & White again.

Does anyone know what happen to Wielart? Surely there must be more to his injury than a rolled ankle

Does anyone know what happen to Wielart? Surely there must be more to his injury than a rolled ankle

Apparently he had an achilles problem earlier in pre-season so whether or not that's still affecting him I'm not sure, but at this stage it's just the rolled ankle. 

They can be pretty nasty sometimes, he'll be right for Round 1 though providing he stays injury-free  :up:

I've just about had a gutful of this club 

As I recall it, a few months/weeks ago fans were crying out for a marquee player or two instead of trying to find and develop young local players.

So do we take a risk and sign the Wielaerts and the Engelaars, or go with the Vrankovics and Archibalds?

With just 23 spots available we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I've just about had a gutful of this club 

As I recall it, a few months/weeks ago fans were crying out for a marquee player or two instead of trying to find and develop young local players.

So do we take a risk and sign the Wielaerts and the Engelaars, or go with the Vrankovics and Archibalds?

With just 23 spots available we can't have our cake and eat it too.

We need a mix of young and old, but the Kewells/Weilaerts/ Engelaars of the team are not going to be there long-term. Our future rests with the young players, the McGraths, Archibalds, Behichs and Vrankovics'

DMac has done his hammy and is out for a few months (must be a bad hammy) according to his twitter.

It won't happen but I'd be happy to look at cutting him if we could afford it abd bringing McGrath or another prospect in. He's barely worthy of a spot in the squad as is let alone if he is going to miss multiple games.

Also sucks in that it means he won't be available for the early rounds when Mifsud is playing internationals.

• Like 2

• jw1739 unpinned this topic