Melbourne Football

National Team MHFC players

Torn Asunder

On the East Asian cup, disappointing that we had no one there from our current squad, although we can obviously claim an assist for Goodwin ...especially given that clubs like Newcastle were so heavily represented.

On a positive note Holger has said that he is pleased that Behich is back at Heart, which means he may still be a chance for the WC. LB is still up for grabs in my mind.

On the East Asian cup, disappointing that we had no one there from our current squad, although we can obviously claim an assist for Goodwin ...especially given that clubs like Newcastle were so heavily represented.

On a positive note Holger has said that he is pleased that Behich is back at Heart, which means he may still be a chance for the WC. LB is still up for grabs in my mind.

Lol,

We may as well not go to Brazil if Behich is going to be our Left Back.

Lol,

We may as well not go to Brazil if Behich is going to be our Left Back.

With people mentioning Traore, I'd say Aziz is not that far of a reach.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how Aziz has progressed after a year in Turkey.

I think that obviously Kewell is another possible Socceroo, it depends on his performance (likely to be good if he remains uninjured), where he plays for Heart and where our coach decides he can be used

For LB especially at a WC they probably need to be good defensively first  and foremost... Id like to see how aziz can come back and defend as i will take notice of his defensive work. 

In the a league AZIZ can get by being not the greatest "Defensive" LB but his run and attack and pace on the left is for mine miles ahead of anyone elses and therefore he is a great LB in the a league but for the socceroos I would think they would go for a 'safer' option

Zullo 

Mackay 

Traore ( please no hope his FIFA clearance comes through after the WC)

Behich

Anyone of those can get a gig AZIZ will have to have a blinder and Im backing him in

I think if Eli plays games and scores say once every 3 or 4 games he is a big chance to get selected 

Harry needs to rip the a league apart 

Mate is my smokey, people forget how good this guy is

If Curtis gets regular game time at nufc this year he should be our number one cb at the world cup. Regular game time in the premier league would have to rank him as our number one defender against those playing anywhere else. I don't actually think he will get that much time this early though. Definitely be firmly entrenched in our back four for the world cup after next.

Stefan Mauk and Ben Garuccio both named in Paul Okon's Squad to travel to Spain and play in the COTIF U-19 International Football Tournament from the 12-21st of August.

Argentina, Australia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Spain are the competing nations.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't know what's more sad, the fact that Australia have selected a player who hasn't played a game all season or that we have a player who is good enough to be selected for youth internationals regardless of playing time yet barely makes the bench for us.

Yep.

Don't know what's more sad, the fact that Australia have selected a player who hasn't played a game all season or that we have a player who is good enough to be selected for youth internationals regardless of playing time yet barely makes the bench for us.

I know what to say...

1. Central Defenders are usually better when Older and Expeirenced.

2. Jason Hoffman played in the Under 23 Squad as a MHFC player and scored a prolific 8 goals in 13 games.

Edited by cadete

Whilst I think Wielaert and Kisnorbo are currently our best defenders, it's been rather stunning how little Vrankovic has featured in match day squads. Just as Mauk not playing, despite Kewell and Kalmar being injured for a number of games, and Walker being used as little as possible, with our only other 'leftback' in Hoffman being injured and Gerhardt being played at LB, Vrankovic should have featured this season.

Kisnorbo missed multiple weeks, and Gerhardt wasn't great when he stepped into replace him, so IMO giving Vrankovic a go after Gerhardt didn't immediately seize his opportunity should have been a no brainer (the game against Sydney at AAMI, if not the WSW match at AAMI as well, are matches where Vrankovic should have started).

Things could, and should have been so different this season. Mauk should have been given a few starts, if not several, whilst Kewell and Kalmar were injured (instead we had Williams as our 10. Williams!). Walker should have been our RB for most, if not all games (instead it has been Hoffman's spot to lose...). Like I said above, Vrankovic should have had 1 or 2 starts, and maybe should have featured more times. And Garuccio should at least have had a few 20-30 minute appearances of the bench, probably in place of Iain 'the ghost' Ramsay (he probably should of been dropped from the matchday squad a few weeks ago, if not to motivate him, then just to let him relax and pull himself together).

Just about all coaches would have played a few, if not most, of the above young players regularly. Instead Aloisi has played them as little as possible, and some promising young careers have been stagnating whilst the team has been crying for a shake up. I'm not going to miss Aloisi at all.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Whilst I think Wielaert and Kisnorbo are currently our best defenders, it's been rather stunning how little Vrankovic has featured in match day squads. Just as Mauk not playing, despite Kewell and Kalmar being injured for a number of games, and Walker being used as little as possible, with our only other 'leftback' in Hoffman being injured and Gerhardt being played at LB, Vrankovic should have featured this season.

Kisnorbo missed multiple weeks, and Gerhardt wasn't great when he stepped into replace him, so IMO giving Vrankovic a go after Gerhardt didn't immediately seize his opportunity should have been a no brainer (the game against Sydney at AAMI, if not the WSW match at AAMI as well, are matches where Vrankovic should have started).

Things could, and should have been so different this season. Mauk should have been given a few starts, if not several, whilst Kewell and Kalmar were injured (instead we had Williams as our 10. Williams!). Walker should have been our RB for most, if not all games (instead it has been Hoffman's spot to lose...). Like I said above, Vrankovic should have had 1 or 2 starts, and maybe should have featured more times. And Garuccio should at least have had a few 20-30 minute appearances of the bench, probably in place of Iain 'the ghost' Ramsay (he probably should of been dropped from the matchday squad a few weeks ago, if not to motivate him, then just to let him relax and pull himself together).

Just about all coaches would have played a few, if not most, of the above young players regularly. Instead Aloisi has played them as little as possible, and some promising young careers have been stagnating whilst the team has been crying for a shake up. I'm not going to miss Aloisi at all.

Gerhardt would be a starting CB for most A League sides so its hard to agrue that a bad couple of games should see him replaced by Vranks.

And dont think any coach would ever start a raw 18 year at CAM in a side that is chasing its first win no matter how much ability Mauk has shown in the end of games.

I do agree however that the position of Right Back could have been passed around a bit more and that the two Wing Positions should have had more younger players played through them in the second halves of games.

Edited by cadete

I think Gerhardt is getting found out a bit this season. Sure, he was a stand out player last season, but our team last season would have flattered most players. Nonetheless, I do think that Gerhardt is great at tackling and defending in the air, but I'm yet to believe he's a great all around defender, and I would say he is arguably our worst player on the ball and arguably our worst passer.

Playing Williams as our 10 in 7 or 8 games made no sense. I would have been pretty satisfied with Dugandzic, Golgol and even Ramsay being played as our 10, but Aloisi refused to stop playing them as forwards. Given those factors, Mauk should have been tried in at least a game or two as our 10. IMO, he's more comfortable on the ball than just about anyone in our team. Especially after we kept losing and the team was crying out to be shaken up, Aloisi simply had to try playing the midfielder Mauk in midfield. He might be young, but so was Amini and Rogic at CCM.

• Like 1

My take on all of this - essentially the same topic in several different threads - is that Aloisi knows he has a fatally flawed game plan and is trying to save a coaching career. The club has let the shameful results go on for so long that now Aloisi's only possible lifeline is to play older players in the hope that their greater knowledge can get the minimum number of results to save his skin. He sees this as a lower-risk option than playing Walker, Mauk, Vrankovic and Garuccio.

Ironic, isn't it, that our two current national team representatives can barely get a minute on the park for MHFC? In any other club in the league these two would have been playing regularly.

Supporters and the long-term well-being of the club are being forgotten in the selfish non-actions of a few.

I don't really like seeing what happened at Perth Glory, but they've cut out the cancer before it could spread further. We have procrastinated for far too long.

Edited by jw1739

Take last season, JA on numerous occasions blamed some of our youth players for the reasons we lost. Based on that I'd say in his mind it's just too much risk on his coaching career to rely on younger players. I'm reckon there's a good chance that he'd like to play the younger players, but knows he doesn't have what it takes to develop them and make them into the players needed to compete at aleague level.

Take last season, JA on numerous occasions blamed some of our youth players for the reasons we lost. Based on that I'd say in his mind it's just too much risk on his coaching career to rely on younger players. I'm reckon there's a good chance that he'd like to play the younger players, but knows he doesn't have what it takes to develop them and make them into the players needed to compete at aleague level.

JA's decision to put on a Green Mauk on in the game in Sydney against FC did lead to us throwing away a game we should have won against FC.

But I get what you mean...

Edited by cadete

I think Weilart and Kisnorbo are our best central defenders right now, but I agree that I would have liked to have seen Vranks given a run  or two (at least off the bench) by now.

The problem is deeper than just JA's trust of age over youth though, the bench size plays a larger role than that. In a league where we only can sit 4 outfield players on our bench you need those players to have versatility, hence the presence of Gerhardt over a player like Vranks.

As far as I can tell, Vranks can only really play as central defender (possibly a left back, I'm not sure though) whereas Gerhardt has been utilized across most of the back 4 and in the centre of midfield, having that sort of versatility which such a small bench is crucial unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

So I reckon Good will get a ticket.  I think we can still claim him.

In terms of our current players, Harry & Kisnorbo would need to be pretty lucky to make the squad.  I dont think Ang likes Willo all that much. 

Now for some fantasy land stuff ... Imagine that Garrucio gets a fair crack in the Heart team at LB and absolutely destroys the league right through to the end of the season ... and the gets a suprise call up after Davidson pulls a hamstring during the 1st day of camp ... and then nets the winner against Spain

• Like 1