Melbourne Football

Matildas

malloy

As I understand it the reviews were prompted by complaints from "some" of our women's NT players.

Whatever started it doesn't, I think, get away from the fact that it is a complete shambles (again?) from FFA.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-21/ffa-must-provide-clarity-in-matildas-coach-sacking/10730616?section=sport

Quote:

What we don't know is whether Stajcic crossed the line, made unacceptable demands of now semi-professional footballers and, as some have alleged, even facilitated an abusive culture; or whether those players who expressed their concern to the PFA and the FFA were simply incapable of meeting the tougher demands expected in an elite sporting environment.

According to the ABC's Tracey Holmes, some players claimed they were placed under "unacceptable mental stress'' in the Matildas camp.

• Like 2

Something is a a little weird about this whole thing. The only thing I would say is that the only players that are defending him are the first XI players so it’s highly doubtful they would be experiencing what is alleged.

what I don’t like is the usual football media suspects just immediately coming out in defence of Staj without them actually looking it into themselves. 

Thats probably the worse thing about the football media in this country. Vast majority is too chummy

There's an update here. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/matildas-environment-of-stress-and-fear/10734412

I find it quite difficult to understand what precisely is being said. The report seems to imply that if Stajcic was not dismissed the culture in the Matildas was likely to lead to "violence against women." I find that extraordinary.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's an update here. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/matildas-environment-of-stress-and-fear/10734412

I find it quite difficult to understand what precisely is being said. The report seems to imply that if Stajcic was not dismissed the culture in the Matildas was likely to lead to "violence against women." I find that extraordinary.

The crazies have got their claws in at FFA it would appear.

On 22/01/2019 at 3:48 PM, n i k o said:

Fancy that. An organisation comprising mostly of women, fighting for women's rights are the influencing factor in whether a man coaching a group of girls is adequate enough to perform his role. No chance of bias there. 

Stinks of the classic political manager’s ploy of hand picking the consultant to give them the result they want.

• Like 1

I think that the thing that irks me most about this is that FFA under Nikou appears to be no different from FFA under Lowy. I would have thought that as the new Chairman he would have been scrupulously careful to avoid controversy over at least the first few issues that the Federation had to deal with.

Here's some more from Richard Hinds. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-25/matildas-fallout-highlights-growing-pains-for-womens-sport/10747532?section=sport

Seeing this shambles, what confidence can we have over the processes behind the decisions on expansion of the A-League?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that the thing that irks me most about this is that FFA under Nikou appears to be no different from FFA under Lowy. I would have thought that as the new Chairman he would have been scrupulously careful to avoid controversy over at least the first few issues that the Federation had to deal with.

Here's some more from Richard Hinds. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-25/matildas-fallout-highlights-growing-pains-for-womens-sport/10747532?section=sport

Seeing this shambles, what confidence can we have over the processes behind the decisions on expansion of the A-League?

Great links. Incredibly I am now beginning to feel nostalgic for S Lowy.

25 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Great links. Incredibly I am now beginning to feel nostalgic for S Lowy.

Slowy always had “the devil you know” advantage. 

I’m not sure why but over the decades football administration has attracted some umm interesting characters, to the detriment of the game. Let’s hope we aren’t heading back there again 

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think this is the basic problem everyone has with this sacking.

Now basically as a board you assume that all those involved are presented with all the facts/ data all the current information available and have acted accordingly in the best interests of the national team/s. Being a new board (kind off) makes it difficult to confidently say they have acted in the best interests of the game, mainly because of the FFA and previous borads track record of decades incompetence and poor decision making. 

The other compelling factor is that we are just around the corner from a world cup and this team is in the best position ever to actually achieve anything. 

So all I can think of is that the information must have been so significant  horrendous that action had to be taken. Problem is that I doubt it, and this will be the start of another period of complete morons running the game and that we may be in a worse position in 10 years than we are now. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 10:44 AM, Shahanga said:

It is worthy noting that one of the lead protagonists, Heather Reid, was against Melbourne City coming in to the w league with their professional set up because it would draw players away from other clubs.

chew on the mind set that might think in that way.

And she is on the "new" FFA Board...

Board is now:
Chris Nikou (Chairman)
Heather Reid
Joseph Carrozzi
Remo Nogarotto
Kelly Bayer Rosmarin (on former Board)
Crispin Murray (on former Board)

I was one of those who thought after the Lowy regime was ended it would suddenly become rosey.

in hindsight that was probably a bit naive and the way the board is acting now was entirely predictable. It’s probably going to take a few more board and FFA staff changes for the overall culture change.

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

Reid takes sick leave.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-30/ffa-board-member-heather-reid-takes-leave/10760768

Time for Craig Foster to get on the board and put a rocket under their collective arses.

Whatever her views, role in the Stajcic affair or anything else, it's clear she has cancer and is going to undergo chemo. No-one deserves that, and I for one hope that she can get herself through it and come out the other side without suffering.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So now Stajcic is saying he wasn’t told why he was sacked. The players have also come out and said they have accepted they’ll never know.

So to summarise he’s done something horrible, but no one who might be involved knows what it is and those that do know find it so abhorrent it can’t be mentioned.

No wonder he’s sueing.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

So now Stajcic is saying he wasn’t told why he was sacked. The players have also come out and said they have accepted they’ll never know.

So to summarise he’s done something horrible, but no one who might be involved knows what it is and those that do know find it so abhorrent it can’t be mentioned.

No wonder he’s sueing.

Alternatively don't you think the board hold all the cards. That is, they have got all the information. 

There is no way anyone even partially competent would open themselves up for litigation unless they have solid ground. 

Whatever he did or probably not do would come out in court so I'm leaning on the side of the board as inept as they have been surely they aren't completely inept. 

Whichever they result one party will end up totally disgraced if this goes to court. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Alternatively don't you think the board hold all the cards. That is, they have got all the information. 

There is no way anyone even partially competent would open themselves up for litigation unless they have solid ground. 

Whatever he did or probably not do would come out in court so I'm leaning on the side of the board as inept as they have been surely they aren't completely inept. 

Whichever they result one party will end up totally disgraced if this goes to court. 

There are two things here: the payout and the reasons for dismissal. The Tribunal takes both into account - the employer MUST inform the employee for the reasons of their dismissal and the tribunal has the authority to re-instate the employee if the reasons are not valid. However, if the relationship is irretrievable then the tribunal can order monetary compensation if the reasons were deemed to be insufficient. In this instance Stajcic's contract would have been up for renewal after the WC so the monetary compensation would have been equal to the final six months of his contract. However, this does not necessarily diminish the need to inform as to the reasons as to why he was dismissed. The FFA can insist that due to the nature of the dismissal third parties can be harmed (that is the players) but I am not sure how that would play out in the end. Also there is the nature of the type of contract signed and whether FIFA has any relevant rules.

So it remains to be seen as to whether the FFA holds all the cards.

The problem that I see is that unless FFA details precisely why AS - and only AS - was summarily dismissed, in the current social climate it is inevitably assumed that he has committed some form of sexual indiscretion.

I'm assuming that he hasn't, and therefore the only way he can clear his name is to go to court.

• Like 1

Based on what I've heard from people in the know about the real reason behind the fiasco the FFA will never come out and disclose this as its way too sensitive and impacts a number players, both guilty and innocent. He was never sacked because of toxic culture that he was directly responsible for. Most of the players have supported Staj but the issue lies behind closed doors between a number of them. Jw no where I have read has anyone suggested that Stajcic has performed any sexual indiscretions on any of the players. However that doesn't mean they haven't happened with others.     

Edited by n i k o

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The problem that I see is that unless FFA details precisely why AS - and only AS - was summarily dismissed, in the current social climate it is inevitably assumed that he has committed some form of sexual indiscretion.

I'm assuming that he hasn't, and therefore the only way he can clear his name is to go to court.

The FFA has categorically denied that there was any sexual impropriety.

After some reflection, I keep finding this whole thing confusing. 

Jovan has a point yet the FFA seemingly had two clear paths in the removal either reach a confidential “mutual agreement” termination or dump on the guy and let him face the force of the law or public opinion etc.

Instead they’ve gone this 3rd “if only you knew” route.

Now niko hints at a few things but if this is the case don’t you support the coach?

Whole thing is plain weird.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

After some reflection, I keep finding this whole thing confusing. 

Jovan has a point yet the FFA seemingly had two clear paths in the removal either reach a confidential “mutual agreement” termination or dump on the guy and let him face the force of the law or public opinion etc.

Instead they’ve gone this 3rd “if only you knew” route.

Now niko hints at a few things but if this is the case don’t you support the coach?

Whole thing is plain weird.

The coach should be supported. It's an untenable environment with what's happening behind the scenes. It is noted that Stajcic was in agreeance during his meeting with Gallop and an FFA lawyer that the team environment was...'dysfunctional’ and was ‘always going to be this way’  This particular 'environment' is strictly at the players feet and will take some monumental effort to change especially with certain characters within the squad. If Alan had done anything so bad to deserve such a sacking it would be known by now and he would be punished for it. With that in mind when you put two and two together and ask yourself why there is so much secrecy and hush hush over what is going on it won't take your mind long to stumble along the answer. 

Edited by n i k o