Melbourne Football

Matildas

malloy

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

so true.  

Still its disappointing to see a ref at a major international tournament not acting on blatant rule violations in a shoot out.  Shows that officialdom in the women's game has a long way to go I guess.   

Think it was more the ref not wanting to be shot after the game

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Probably not the right spot for it, but hey.

So we are bidding for the next women's World Cup. I'd love to hold it, but haven't we been burnt once too many by FIFA?

Are the FFA stocking up on brown paper bags for the bid?

Not sure what I think. Is the support really there - we have only a rump women's league? Is FFA spreading its resources too thinly?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Not like you, normally you’re all over this stuff. You do know game 2 is coming up in Geelong?

@Shahanga I honestly did not see any advertising for it. And I've been on the FFA web-site several times in the past few days. Was there anything on the City web-site about our players who were selected - again I don't recall any. As a City member I used to get e-mails from FFA about internationals, but I don't seem to get those now. Obviously I need to pay more attention.

CBF to go to Geelong. Nightmare on the road.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

With the AFLW faltering, this is the time for the Wleague to go in for the kill IMO 

Unfortunately it would require a huge investment to do anything with the W-League, and I don't believe that the money is there. The National Youth League is the same. And with things the way they are with FFA just now, I can't see it happening - the A-League is in enough difficulty as it is.

• 5 months later...
36 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Alen Stajic has been sacked, according to SBS.  Strange timing given we're so close to the women's WC.

On the face of it, doesn't seem that too much has changed at FFA. Two confidential internal surveys, and some conversations "with players and staff", and then sack the guy before giving him time to respond to any of the issues raised. "Difficult to go into specifics because of the confidentiality arrangement around the surveys."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-19/alen-stajcic-sacked-as-matildas-coach-months-out-from-world-cup/10728970

Edited by jw1739

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On the face of it, doesn't seem that too much has changed at FFA. Two confidential internal surveys, and some conversations "with players and staff", and then sack the guy before giving him time to respond to any of the issues raised. "Difficult to go into specifics because of the confidentiality arrangement around the surveys."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-19/alen-stajcic-sacked-as-matildas-coach-months-out-from-world-cup/10728970

Or that the guy really screwed the pooch(ie was being / acting very appropriate with players) and "they had to act". Could be more to do with something else tho too (poor culture)

Either way it's so damming on the guy.

Edit; as you say jw, the ffa has stuffed up that much you can't be too surprised with the way they reacted

Edited by mattyh001

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Or that the guy really screwed the pooch(ie was being / acting very appropriate with players) and "they had to act". Could be more to do with something else tho too (poor culture)

Either way it's so damming on the guy.

Edit; as you say jw, the ffa has stuffed up that much you can't be too surprised with the way they reacted

In the current social climate, not being reasonably specific as to what the issues were could be extremely damaging to Stajcic's reputation.

I'm now reading that the issues included "bullying" and "playing favourites." https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/the-toxic-culture-and-hidden-issues-that-led-to-the-ffa-sacking-matildas-coach-alen-stajcic/news-story/a5d173812dba8f7fbb817473625f7ef0?nk=425dde2122ef39813eae8de5e4c16d4c-1547869470 Still pretty nebulous really.

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-19/matildas-rocky-road-to-world-cup-after-alen-stajcic-sacked/10729314

Extract:

There are two words that are uttered more than most by those on the inside: "culture" and "welfare".

When questioned by journalists, Gallop explicitly ruled out the possibility of this being football's #MeToo moment, saying "No, as I said, it relates to workplace culture, workplace environment, the general set up of the Matildas and our confidence in where they're at just months out from the World Cup."

He did confirm that player welfare was a big factor in the decision made after the results of two surveys were presented to FFA management.

Alongside a 'wellbeing audit' conducted in conjunction with the players union, the PFA, the governing body had commissioned a 'gender equality culture survey' conducted by Our Watch — an organisation established to change "culture, behaviours and power imbalances that lead to violence against women and their children".

FFA Women's Council not consulted before Stajcic sacked

This is new territory for sport.

The FFA might have taken its cue from the fallout of Cricket Australia's culture review that led to numerous team and management changes including the scalp of then chairman, David Peever.

There is no longer a "win at all costs" attitude. Now it's equally important how a team wins.

And yet, surprisingly, the newly established FFA Women's Council was not consulted, included or even made aware of the decision to sack the coach.

Independent chair of the Women's Council, businesswoman Ros Moriarty, said she would "request full details of how stakeholder surveys escalated to a sudden sacking."

"I would like to understand what specific feedback has left our national women's team in a World Cup year, without the leader who has orchestrated their success over the past few years," she said.

The council's charter was finalised only weeks ago to ensure equality in football for women and girls, with the Matildas as the pinnacle.

"They are at the frontline of this decision, I would like to hear their reaction to the news," Moriarty said.

"The reality is that women's football in Australia is largely invisible, underfunded, and secondary to the men's game on every level.

"The council will be calling for a much deeper, evidence-based focus on these issues within FFA and right across the game."

For a number of players, Stajcic was popular and respected. His sacking threatens to destroy team cohesion.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

In the current social climate, not being reasonably specific as to what the issues were could be extremely damaging to Stajcic's reputation.

I'm now reading that the issues included "bullying" and "playing favourites." https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/the-toxic-culture-and-hidden-issues-that-led-to-the-ffa-sacking-matildas-coach-alen-stajcic/news-story/a5d173812dba8f7fbb817473625f7ef0?nk=425dde2122ef39813eae8de5e4c16d4c-1547869470 Still pretty nebulous really.

All coaches “play favourites”. It’s called selection. They pick the players they think suits their style the best.

Under Stajcic we’ve become one of the best teams in the world. They’d need a bloody good reason to give him the lemonade.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Seems people in the know are basically indicating there is a legitimate reason as to his sacking

So far what has been reported is that some players are happy about his demise and others are unhappy. Some reports are saying that players were told to go and play with certain clubs rather than others (which to me is not surprising since he would have liked to develop them to a suitable degree). However the FFAW were not informed of teh decision and have correctly asked how did we go from having a player survey to a sacking.

Warning: Politically incorrect and probably sexist post

If you're going to allow an organisation such as "Our Watch" - "an organisation established to change "culture, behaviours and power imbalances that lead to violence against women and their children" - to conduct an audit on an organisation mainly run by men, it's hardly likely that you're going to get a balanced report out of it. Essentially, the outcome is pre-determined - that the men are the problem.

I say this to women in football who don't like that the organisation is mainly run by men. If you don't like it, set up your own Women's FFA. Staff it completely by women, from the back room to the field of play, raise your own funds including sponsorships, arrange your own grounds and fixtures, and everything else to do with women's football. Get all your coaching, training, sports science, rehabilitation etc. from female experts in the field. See how you get on. You won't get to open your lunch-boxes on the first day. Because at the moment you are almost totally dependent on the men's game, and those who run it. But good luck if you want to try it on your own.

Maybe you'll stop whinging so much when you realise the reality of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Warning: Politically incorrect and probably sexist post

If you're going to allow an organisation such as "Our Watch" - "an organisation established to change "culture, behaviours and power imbalances that lead to violence against women and their children" - to conduct an audit on an organisation mainly run by men, it's hardly likely that you're going to get a balanced report out of it. Essentially, the outcome is pre-determined - that the men are the problem.

I say this to women in football who don't like that the organisation is mainly run by men. If you don't like it, set up your own Women's FFA. Staff it completely by women, from the back room to the field of play, raise your own funds including sponsorships, arrange your own grounds and fixtures, and everything else to do with women's football. Get all your coaching, training, sports science, rehabilitation etc. from female experts in the field. See how you get on. You won't get to open your lunch-boxes on the first day. Because at the moment you are almost totally dependent on the men's game, and those who run it. But good luck if you want to try it on your own.

Maybe you'll stop whinging so much when you realise the reality of the world.

The original reports as the news broke said that Ros Moriarty, chair of the independent FFA Women's Council, who were neither informed much less consulted questioning how they went from a performance review to a sacking. Who and why did they get "our watch" to do a review has not been made public. I suspect that Gallop had plenty to do with it but I am biased because I cannot wait for Gallop to get the fuck out of sport  and go and screw something else up, something in which I have no involvement in. Furthermore if the crimes for which Stajcic is being accused then any professional sport irrespective of gender would have just about every coach sacked for the same crimes. So I suspect that this has caught just about everyone by surprise and many of the players are dismayed at the outcome. So I think that it is a bit harsh to say that it was women in football that caused this instead I suspect that it was just plain Gallop.